Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 12:55   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Digital Handycam

Hi.

I have a Sony Mini-DV Cam but do not feel like using it at all.

Now, I am planning to buy a Digital Handycam with Flash Media or Hard Drive so that it easy to copy the recordings to my external hard drive and play it on LCD through my media player.

Are hard drive based handycams are sure no no these days in comparison to flash based ones?

Since I am buying it now when many of HD-Handycams in market, is it advisable to go for HD ?

Saw one Sony HDR CX100 on jjmehta.com. Sony flash media is always more expensive than regular SDHC.

What are the other options we have in the market and their price in grey or with B&W.

Since I am in Delhi, I should be able to get most models in grey at better price from gaffar.

Regards,
MG
Old 28th January 2010, 13:26   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
@Trust_In_Thrust: Okay guys heart/mind is set on HX1 as no one Canon SX1S , Panasonic TZ35 , NikonP90 , OlympusSP590UZ is matching up to sony .

Says who? And on what parameters? I believe the Canon SX1S, Fuji 200EXR, Panasonic FZ35 are better overall than the Sony HX1
One area where HX1 trumps others is in performance, its among the fastest ultrazoom camera available in market.

This is what i felt too when i tested SX1 IS, FZ35, HX1, 590UZ. And many popular digi cam website claims the same too.

Trust in thrust's one of the requirement is to be able to catch fast moving objects and shutter speed of hx1 is much faster than others. So its an added advantage.

Yes its low light images are not that good, but they are not that bad too. Its a notch below others. I think only 200EXR beats it comprehensively

And the option of Li-Ion is really a very useful add on, much more than flash shoe which hardly an amateur is gonna use.

Just my opinion, YMMV
Old 28th January 2010, 21:44   #3738
Senior - BHPian

you should also look at back illuminated CMOS technology announced by sony in 2008. HX1 doesn't have it yet a far as I can see.

I have pre-ordered casio's FH25 (sucesor of FH20 mentioned in my query earlier) which claims to have it.

Sony unveils 'Exmor R' back-illuminated CMOS technology: Digital Photography Review
Old 28th January 2010, 22:06   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Only Sony is offering the complete combination with HD Video , 10fs burst , Li-Ion Battery , Least amount if memory used in HDVideo recording.

In others Canon uses memory bigtime in HDvideo recording , Also uses Ni-Mh Battery.

Hi,Last month i have brought Canon sx 20 is ,and about battery it has 4 AA size rechargeable batteries and which lasts approx 600 shots where one charge of Li- Ion battery of Sony lasts approx 390 shots,and i find the image stabilizer at higher zooms is better in Cannon and it also has Super Micro,which means you can take pic of object from as close as 0 CM,sony has its own advantages,but i find canon very user friendly.
Old 28th January 2010, 23:37   #3740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
@robinmahanta : Thanks for the info.
I will ask you straight .
I have a budget of 20K-30K (MRP) .
The things i require :
1.) Good Night shots with no light, moonlight etc.
2.) Ability to catch fast moving objects say like insect wings .
3.) Rechargeable Battery (Preference Li_IOn)
4.) Zoom i am not sure .

To be truthful i am confused.
I looked at Sony TX7 , TX1 , WX1 , HX1.
If i leave out the zoom i love TX7.

Could you please help .
I am open to any brand but clarity in both pictures and video is must .
Also the reason i find sony attractive is its new CMOS sensor in TX7 which is backlit an d i found night shots good with it .

REgards

A DSLR is what you need as it fulfills all your requirements but for video (as you have a 30k budget).

So, get a Canon 1000D with the 18-55IS for around 27k and fire away.Maybe you can get the 50mm f/1.8 II for some superb night portraits for around 5k as well. For HD video you can later get something like the Flip UltraHD (portable,reasonably priced yet efficient)

If you are not open to DSLR's then maybe the Panny FZ35 or Fuji 200EXR
Old 28th January 2010, 23:48   #3741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
One area where HX1 trumps others is in performance, its among the fastest ultrazoom camera available in market.

This is what i felt too when i tested SX1 IS, FZ35, HX1, 590UZ. And many popular digi cam website claims the same too.

Trust in thrust's one of the requirement is to be able to catch fast moving objects and shutter speed of hx1 is much faster than others. So its an added advantage.

Yes its low light images are not that good, but they are not that bad too. Its a notch below others. I think only 200EXR beats it comprehensively

And the option of Li-Ion is really a very useful add on, much more than flash shoe which hardly an amateur is gonna use.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Just to let you know its not always the shutter speed that freezes action. I feel 1/1000 is more than enough for freezing action which we normally encounter (I'm not talking about bullets etc.). Can you guess the shutter speed of this picture?

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-aimg_6592c.jpg

Well its just 1/200.
Old 29th January 2010, 06:33   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just to let you know its not always the shutter speed that freezes action. I feel 1/1000 is more than enough for freezing action which we normally encounter (I'm not talking about bullets etc.). Can you guess the shutter speed of this picture?

Well its just 1/200.
That's a nice pic there. Loved it. How much you need depends on what kind of action you want. If you want to freeze a 90 mph ball in a baseball you need 1/4000 and in basketball 1/500 should do the job.

Here is some info that may find you helpful. please go through the link and at the bottom there is a table format that shows shutter speed and situation. it will give you some idea i am talking about

http://www.digicamguides.com/learn/shutter-speed.html
Old 30th January 2010, 20:33   #3743
BANNED

Ok i went to Gaffar market an Chandni chowk today .I was looking to get my hands on either TX7 or HX5 .I found HX1 /FZ35 too huge for my taste so i have decided to let go of the zoom option.
Also the Exmor CMOS sensor (Backlit) is actually good and in my online research i did not find a worthy competitive technology .
The only factor TX7 is not available at all and HX5 is not released as of now.
So do you think i will be happy with TX1 or should hold for 15-20 days and hope Tx7 or HX5 shows up in grey.I am getting TX1 for Rs14,000 vs MRP of Rs 21000/- .TX7 MRP is Rs 22,000/-.
I do not feel happy in going the MRP way.

I also did not find many options from Canon, , Nikon , Panasonic , Olympus , Casio in this range(with decent night shots compared with Sony Exmor CMOS) of TX1, TX7 , HX5.

Any thoughts guys ?

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 30th January 2010 at 20:36.
Old 31st January 2010, 00:17   #3744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ref: Canon.

The bigger flash guns (580 and 430) do not balance well with the SX1 (I have tried this). I suppose the smaller more compact flash guns like the 270 will balance better.

Ref: Batteries

It does not matter if the camera uses 4 x AA or Li-ion what matters is how many shots the camera can manage on a pair and what is the between-shots-recharge- time for the camera (some camera's flashes need more time to recharge than others).

I really wish Canon made a camera with a 28mm 20x lens, 10Mega-1/1.7 CCD (from G11/S90), and used their BP511 battery. I have not used the HX1 but the SX1 colours are quite nice. It is a bit slow though (maybe this was because I started playing with it after I finished with a 5D2).

Fuji's (my other favourite brand) F200 is just a bit short in the tele-zoom department to compete fairly with the super (20x) zooms.

Last edited by navin : 31st January 2010 at 00:19.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:51   #3745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ref: Batteries

It does not matter if the camera uses 4 x AA or Li-ion what matters is how many shots the camera can manage on a pair and what is the between-shots-recharge- time for the camera (some camera's flashes need more time to recharge than others).
Actually Navin sir, i was referring to number of shots per recharge only, just that i forgot to mention. I use a H50 which is previous version of HX1 and it easily gets me 350+ shots. So i doubt HX1 would be any more different. I have bad experience with AA batteries in S5IS with battery draining after around 150 shots. Both were daytime shots and i was really disappointed.

Also flash recycle time were not much better, so that's the reason i prefer li-ion battery. I know there are people who prefer 4 x AA battery but this is just my opinion.
Old 31st January 2010, 09:35   #3746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also flash recycle time were not much better, so that's the reason i prefer li-ion battery. I know there are people who prefer 4 x AA battery but this is just my opinion.
I am guessing from the above statements that you (like me) found "flash recycle time" (thanks for refreshing my memory) of cameras powered by Li-ion batters to be better than those powered by AA cells.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:14   #3747
Senior - BHPian

I had this Li-ion vs AA choice to make when deciding between the FZ-35 and SX20. Finally decided to go with the FZ-35 (actually tilted towards it due to the reviews mentioning better low light performance and it being lighter and smaller).

I was a tad skeptical about the Li-ion, but am extremely happy now. I've use the camera for normal day to day shots (no holidays yet). And the battery holds up wonderfully. It just goes on and on - though I must say I have not calculated how many shots but surely over 250-300. Have also never felt any significant lag for flash recharge. This was a welcome change from my other digicam - a Canon A540.

I've had the camera for a month and a half. After the initial charge - it has been charged just once.

The FZ-35 is wonderful to hold too. Nice and small enabling quick handling. Wife loves it ! What more can I ask for?
Old 31st January 2010, 20:17   #3748
Senior - BHPian

ok now comes my first form of trouble in my canon SD870IS. suddenly my camera lens refuses to retract completely and is also not focussing properly.last i remember I had the camera in my pocket all the while during my India-US flight. now i can barely use it and I'm worried. experts , help me trouble shoot the problem.

thanks in advance.
avinash
Old 1st February 2010, 10:04   #3749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
ok now comes my first form of trouble in my canon SD870IS. suddenly my camera lens refuses to retract completely and is also not focussing properly.
my wife's 870 had the same problem. Her solution - she got herself a Fuji F70exr :-). Meanwhile the 870 is with a local repair shop but they have not been successful. I suspect these tiny cameras are diffcult to fix.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:06   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
my wife's 870 had the same problem. Her solution - she got herself a Fuji F70exr :-). Meanwhile the 870 is with a local repair shop but they have not been successful. I suspect these tiny cameras are diffcult to fix.
o oh. not good news.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks