Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 09:35   #4456
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Need a P&S camera with best possible picture quality. Does anybody here own a Canon S 95? I am looking to buy this based on various reviews online. Not very keen on super zoom models which are a bit bulky.
You can also look at Panasonic LX3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The iconic Panasonic LX3 is now on sale for as low as 19K (Linky). Guys, I got mine for about 28K a year back and believe me, twenty thousand pictures later, the LX3 has become a must-have tool on all special / automotive events. This is seriously dirt-cheap for an LX3; if you're looking for a camera in the budget, shut your eyes and pick one up.

Obviously a clearance sale of old stock since its successor - the LX5 - has already hit the market.
Old 8th February 2011, 13:03   #4457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
FZ100 owners:

Has someone tried to get macros like the following, I am trying but I am not getting upto this detail. The following looks very professional. Please suggest me the settings.

FZ100 Macro II: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Here is a macro shot I tried this past weekend.

The cam was in A mode with F8, with center-weighed AF, AF switch on AF/Macro, AWB, completely zoomed out. Couldn't get any closer due to light conditions (Dusk) without getting some shadows. Still I love the way the cam was able to capture the tiny fibers on the edges of the lower (closest to the camera) petals.

I'm sure the other experts will be able to help us here too
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p102031.jpg  

Last edited by Zenster : 8th February 2011 at 13:05.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:11   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post

The cam was in A mode with F8, with center-weighed AF, AF switch on AF/Macro, AWB, completely zoomed out. Couldn't get any closer due to light conditions (Dusk) without getting some shadows. .....
Something(or more than one) is wrong!!!
The flower is not in focus and at f8, you have greater dof and being a P&S camera you have even greater dof(the later I read it online)!!

And why did the camera take f8 in dusk conditions?? smaller aperture numbers are more suitable for macro!! Zooming closer to subject increases the f-number but to that extent(f8!!) and what was the metering involved in this shot?? And what was distance between you and the subject(flower)?
Old 8th February 2011, 14:21   #4459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The cam was in A mode with F8, with center-weighed AF, AF switch on AF/Macro, AWB, completely zoomed out. Couldn't get any closer due to light conditions (Dusk) without getting some shadows. Still I love the way the cam was able to capture the tiny fibers on the edges of the lower (closest to the camera) petals.

I'm sure the other experts will be able to help us here too
No offence to you Zenster. But the flower is out of focus. What was the distance between the lens and the flower? Either you crossed the minimum distance value in which case the camera could not focus or you did not cross the minimum distance and the camera was not able to focus for other reasons.

To be able to get good Macro photos you need to:
  • Focus manually since the camera may hunt for focus when you are very close to the subject or under low light.
  • Use a tripod (may not be possible with moving objects)
  • Use stationery subjects (wherever possible)
  • Use appropriate aperture to get the desired depth of field
  • Need perfect lighting from the front/side of the camera. When the light source is directly above or behind, the camera will cause shadows on the object.
These are not mandatory steps. But they help to get better macro images.

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th February 2011 at 14:51.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:25   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Something(or more than one) is wrong!!!
The flower is not in focus and at f8, you have greater dof and being a P&S camera you have even greater dof(the later I read it online)!!

And why did the camera take f8 in dusk conditions?? smaller aperture numbers are more suitable for macro!! Zooming closer to subject increases the f-number but to that extent(f8!!) and what was the metering involved in this shot?? And what was distance between you and the subject(flower)?
See... I knew I could have done better Thanks for replying.

Here are the exact settings. Sorry for reporting the wrong F-number, must have read it from other photo.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-untitled.jpg

I agree about being out of focus though. I am dead-sure that the focus square was green on half-shutter. How to get better results? EDIT: Just saw your post PJBIJU, thanks a lot. Will try them and post tomorrow.

Last edited by Zenster : 8th February 2011 at 14:39.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:48   #4461
Senior - BHPian

The new canon hs310 the successor to the hs300 has been announced. It has a wider lens and now has full manual controls along with better HD video. Seems like a good upgrade to the hs300.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:54   #4462
BHPian

Quote:
FZ100 owners:

Has someone tried to get macros like the following, I am trying but I am not getting upto this detail. The following looks very professional. Please suggest me the settings.

FZ100 Macro II: Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Here are a few samples taken by LTZ470. This guy has done some awesome work with the FZ100.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:42   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Try to get the new Olympus XZ1. It probably is the best p&s money can buy at the moment. Has a fast Zuiko lens and is not too bulky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I have the Panasonic LX5 and am quite happy with the photos. You can check the photos (resized) on my Hampi Travelogue. I find it very good. I have not taken photos at higher ISO numbers. I have limited myself to a maximum ISO value of 400. The other options are Canon S95 and Olympus XZ1.
Thanks for the inputs. Looks like these three models are quite close when it comes to PQ for a compact P&S camera. Based on the reviews and sample shots in dpreview.com it appears like XZ-1 has the better PQ. I would need to check the user friendliness to decide. How is the customer support for Panasonic and Olympus cameras in India/Bangalore?
Old 8th February 2011, 17:17   #4464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
...How is the customer support for Panasonic and Olympus cameras in India/Bangalore?
Sorry no idea about Panasonic customer service. Never had a chance to use it. Samurai may be able to tell you a little more about Olympus service in India since he uses their cameras and lenses.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:19   #4465
BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few samples taken by LTZ470. This guy has done some awesome work with the FZ100.
I got a reply from LTZ470, try using this setting.

Set Intelligent ISO to 200
In File mode Standard settings, set the NR to -2 and the Sharpness to +2 the Contrast to 0 and the Saturation to -1
set to Spot AF and Spot Metering
Set Stabilizer mode to MODE2
Turn off Iresolution and Iexposure, digital zoom etc.
switch to AF Macro Mode near the lens.
Now try to shoot and check if it improves. I am also trying with this setting.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:43   #4466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a reply from LTZ470, try using this setting .... Now try to shoot and check if it improves. I am also trying with this setting.
Why do you have to do so much? The FZ100 has a full manual mode correct? You can manually set Aperture and Shutter speed, focus manually and then take the shot. The following shots were taken by me with a FujiFilm HS10 in full manual. Whatever PJBiju and kkr have said is correct. A bit of shuffling around will get you your shot. Nothing beats manual for close up shots. The only downside is that your subject has to be cooperative. With a flower you will not have any problems except the shaking due to breeze.

Dragon Fly by I want my screen name, on Flickr

Flower (Macro) by I want my screen name, on Flickr
Old 8th February 2011, 20:46   #4467
Senior - BHPian

tOn those pics are lovely! HS10 is capable!!!
Old 8th February 2011, 21:07   #4468
Senior - BHPian

@lohith:

Thanks for your kind words. The HS10 is a very capable camera. However, as mentioned earlier, it does have a very steep learning curve. I was cursing myself for about 1.5 months after getting the camera, but once I figured out how to use it it was a dream. I have a D90 now and the controls are eerily similar in layout. That is one thing that you will like about the HS10 - the ergonomics are spot on especially if you are doing manual photography.

By the way, what about your camera purchase?
Old 8th February 2011, 21:20   #4469
Senior - BHPian

tOn, its on hold for a while, have decided that will wait for HS20 to release and also trying to reconsider the dslr..

if you are to own just 1 camera what will you prefer?
Old 8th February 2011, 21:40   #4470
Senior - BHPian

@lohith:
If you are not in a hurry it is always better to wait.

If I have to own one camera it would have to be a DSLR. I am happy with the D90 but do not have the finances to have all the lenses. Therefore the HS10 stays on. However, I have decided to keep all my cameras including my Canon film SLR. One never knows what one would like to try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks