Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 00:57   #2056
Senior - BHPian

All the newly added features are fantastic and the phone looks cool except one the “micro sim” I am sure that we don’t have this in India atleast and may be around the world very few carriers have a micro sim.
I am why am wondering why have Apple drifted away from the standard size SIM card, this is definitely a deal breaker at least for the time being.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:29   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
All the newly added features are fantastic and the phone looks cool except one the “micro sim” I am sure that we don’t have this in India atleast and may be around the world very few carriers have a micro sim.
I am why am wondering why have Apple drifted away from the standard size SIM card, this is definitely a deal breaker at least for the time being.
Dang!! I just watched their keynote again and yep you are right... its a micro sim... I thought it was a Micro SD slot!!!
Thats totally gay! I guess another measure from Apple to stop unlocked phones floating around

I guess I am one of the very few who do not like this design... It looks too boxy and the round transistor buttons are so dated! Ofcourse its thin and the front/back are glass which most certainly look classy, but they could have done it better and kept their "minimalistic" and sleek design approach like all their other items. Also I do not get why they have a high desktop resolution but still only manage to have 4-5 rows of buttons on it!! Originally on a 320x480 resolution, those icons were around 64x64 pixels, and now the resolution is almost 3 times more in height, and still same number of buttons? Does that mean they made the buttons around 128x128+ now? Doesn't make sense and waste or real estate.
The iphones are an awesome treat to technology though, and I do have 3 of them... but still not a big fan of this design here.

Last edited by F50 : 11th June 2010 at 04:52.
Old 10th June 2010, 01:49   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
The 3G iPad also uses the "micro SIM". It's no big deal - its just the chip from the regular SIM card (minus all the extra plastic). You can cut the extra plastic from a regular sized SIM card and voila you have a "micro sim".

Try this on an old unused SIM card if you don't believe me. My co-worker's (not in India) bought 3G iPad's from the US and are using them by chopping off the excess plastic from the regular 3G SIM card.

These micro SIM's were also used in the dual SIM holders that were popular before we had dual SIM phones.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:24   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The 3G iPad also uses the "micro SIM". It's no big deal - its just the chip from the regular SIM card (minus all the extra plastic). You can cut the extra plastic from a regular sized SIM card and voila you have a "micro sim".

Try this on an old unused SIM card if you don't believe me. My co-worker's (not in India) bought 3G iPad's from the US and are using them by chopping off the excess plastic from the regular 3G SIM card.

These micro SIM's were also used in the dual SIM holders that were popular before we had dual SIM phones.
Chopping off the extra plastics may not be that easy, but it is certainly easy to ruin the chip.
A chip which is not fitted properly will be unreliable. Apple has intentionally introduced this feature to limit the movement of its equipment outside the intended market.
Old 10th June 2010, 02:32   #2060
BHPian

^^ I did it with a pair of scissors and got it to fit fine. It's easy and the actual chip is actually quite robust. You can also put it back in a regular phone by using a cutout with the correct shape.

How to make your own iPad micro SIM | Touch User Guide for Apple iPad & iPhone

If you do mess up the SIM then getting a duplicate isn't too hard (unless you're with BSNL, etc).
Old 10th June 2010, 11:06   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone says it will bring iPhone 4 to India in "coming months", which i guess means September. Airtel will also probably follow.

Vodafone to offer iPhone 4 to subscribers in India : Vodafone Press release 08 Jun 2010
Old 10th June 2010, 16:39   #2062
Team-BHP Support

Gyro is a nice addition!

The high res screen is cool -- but i'm wondering how this is going to affect the web browsing experience in certain cases. (Since raster elements like buttons etc will be represented smaller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocreative View Post
...Also I do not get why they have a high desktop resolution but still only manage to have 4-5 rows of buttons on it!! ...
Unlike a mouse controlled PC, where more resolution == more usable workspace, the iphone can't entirely benefit from the increase in resolution.

The only advantage of the higher-res for the iphone will be better quality image, since its NOT possible to :
1) Decrease the represented size of buttons / icons etc -- as they will get much harder to press with a finger!
2) Fit more text or elements on the screen, as its a <4" screen, which will make those elements too tiny to read or see comfortably.

In comparison, the 800x480 4.3" of the EVO 4G and other phones will be MUCH more all-round usable.
(Also remember that this "retina" display is FOUR times the resolution of apples old iphones, but not really a noticable leap over all the competition which has been on 800x480 for quite a while now!)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2010 at 16:42.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:50   #2063
BHPian

Moreover you can use Microsim using special attachment where normal sim is required. Google for microsim attachment.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:09   #2064
Senior - BHPian

the New iphone looks gorgeous!
But the only thing puts you off is the 40k+ price tag, where you can get much better phones for lesser such as the HD2,nexus1,Droid,EVO4g etc
Old 10th June 2010, 22:49   #2065
BHPian

They should have increased the size of the screen to 4.3" since most of the so called "rivals" are coming out with bigger screens. I have an HTC HD2, and the 4.3" does make a big difference even though its just .8 inch bigger.
And when I go back to holding an iPhone I can definitely feel the screen is smaller... but all things said no one makes stuff like Apple and I do miss the entire iPhone owner experience (error free, bug free, consistent design, smooth operation, not having to remove the batter cover to reset 1980 style...etc) !
Old 15th June 2010, 17:16   #2066
BHPian

any news on unlocked iphone4 yet ??
Old 15th June 2010, 17:22   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Prices for Sim Free & Unlocked handsets have been announced for UK:iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.K.)

16GB-£499
32GB-£599

I hope we in India also get unlocked versions at a more competitive price than the 3GS was!
Old 15th June 2010, 18:35   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
iPhone 4.0 for 3GS is unlockable but baseband 5.11 and below.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:46   #2069
BHPian

Here I was getting excited about picking up the factory unlocked iphone 4 from either Germany/France in 2 weeks - only to find out both are selling locked phones now!

Italy/HK don't get the phone before July (end?) - India probably gets it in August.

Now I gotta decide if I want the locked version from the US and then sit around till the unlock comes out or wait till it gets launched in HK/India.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:56   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Here I was getting excited about picking up the factory unlocked iphone 4 from either Germany/France in 2 weeks - only to find out both are selling locked phones now!

Italy/HK don't get the phone before July (end?) - India probably gets it in August.

Now I gotta decide if I want the locked version from the US and then sit around till the unlock comes out or wait till it gets launched in HK/India.
Are you sure your network has micro sim compatible cards? or are you planning to chop off you card and try things out? iPhone 4 comes with MicroSim card tray, normal sims wont fit in there

Get an HTC Evo running on Android 2.1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks