Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 22:51   #1936
BHPian

Finally we have announcement of Multitasking and Blutooth keyboard for the iphone in OS 4.0
cant wait to get it
Old 9th April 2010, 00:18   #1937
Team-BHP Support

Live from Apple's iPhone OS 4 event! -- Engadget More details

Multitasking only for 3GS and 3rd gen iPod touch. Unified mail box, Folders, better Enterprise support including multiple exchange server support etc

Overall good update, except for me the 3G user, hope Airtel launches new device soon in India also
Old 9th April 2010, 01:19   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
hope Airtel launches new device soon in India also
Better wait for the next iPhone now. Airtel/Vodafone has failed it with 3GS.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:12   #1939
BHPian

Well its music to my ears that OS 4 will be out soon. I always wanted this feature but then didn't want to JB my recent buy either. I am really looking forward to OS 4. Also if any of you guys have been thru that blog that JAggu has posted. I have little concerns over some comments made by Apple.

Steve said in the conference(refer to the blog) @ 10:15AM "It's easy to do this in a way that drains battery life, and a way that reduces performance of the foreground app. If you don't do it right, your phone will feel sluggish."

Apple's statement in Q&A session @ 11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

One statement says do it right and other says don't worry about it
I personally think this is going to affect battery and may be some performance issues "UNLESS" Apple had multitasking in mind already when they launched 3GS and made phone future upgrade friendly.

Regards
Punzabi
Old 9th April 2010, 09:58   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Eh i dont see any confusion here. Please see the statements in the context they were said.

Trust apple to do things in a way that no one else does and OS 4.0 does looks promising. I just hope the developer teams now release the unlock for baseband 5.12.01 as soon as possible so that I can enjoy my 3gs for the time being.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:48   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Apple's statement in Q&A session @ 11:40AM Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

Regards
Punzabi
Long click on the icon in in Task switch pane will bring a (-) sign and clicking on that sign closes the application, there is a video of this on engadget, have a look.

iPhone OS 4 hands-on (updated with video!) -- Engadget

-Pramod
Old 9th April 2010, 12:46   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Yippe - I can see the OS 4 Beta release on the iPhone dev website. Let me go home, download it and see how it goes.

BTW, Anyone here has got an iPad yet?
Old 10th April 2010, 11:03   #1943
BHPian

Stuck with AIRTEL Iphone

Guys, i am having trouble with Airtel service for my Iphone 3G. I had given it to them for replacment due to dead pixel appearance, but never got it back till now, and there is nobody responsible to answer to the queries. Is there any point in buying Iphones at premium cost from Airtel??

Following is the mail i send to Nodal officer AIRTEL. Yet awaiting response. I have also marked copy to major Dailies in Bangalore.

""

Dear Sir,
I am an Airtel customer and bought an iphone 3G from Airtel on 12th April 2009. Now since i had some problem i have handed over the handset to Airtel outlet on Cunningham Road. Your Representative Mr. Yashpal collected the handset from me on 31st March 2010, and since then have been not replying to any of my queries.

When i handed over the phone to him, i was told i ll get a replacement of the phone by 5th April, but when i went to him on 5th he again told me to come on 6th April. But again he tells me to come on 7th and still the same postponement. Atlast when i called him on his mobile, he stopped answering the calls when he sees my mobile no in his handset, when i call from a different no, he picks it up.

Till date he has not given me any update on the same.

Whenever i call him, he tells me that the courier details are with him, but it has not been delivered yet. When i tell him to check the courier status on internet, he just gives me lame excuse like, there is no power in outlet and so on.

In this age of technology, when everything is so fast and available on the internet. Why should he give me such lame excuse? He says, its not his problem, but the courier people are not delivering it to him though its in Bangalore. He made me wait in the outlet for 3 hours on 8th April stating that the courier may come any time.

I am a business man, and i have been with Airtel for more than 7 years. And being a premium customer, is this the service i can expect from Airtel?? I buy a Premium phone from Airtel costing more than Rs.30000 and this is the service i get?? Is there nobody responsible for the same?

Where ever i go to any Airtel outlet ,all are ready to sell iphone, but when i ask for the iphone support nobody turns up. Is this the way Airtel supports its premium customers??

I am very very disappointed and marking a copy of this mail to all major dailys in Bangalore. I hope this is a lesson to every customer of Airtel.

My I phone serial no is: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I still have no news of the phone, will i ever get it back??

Thanks & Regards

Srikant Rajan""

can anybody guide me on whom else to contact in Bangalore for some support??
Old 11th April 2010, 06:04   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quick review of the feature list on iPhone OS 4:

* Multi-tasking - But I feel some apps need to be updated to support this. i.e. keep running in the background without actually suspending.
* Running apps seem to survive power cycles !! - i.e. you open a few apps, power off and then power back on, you can still see these apps in the "running apps" list.
* You can change the home screen background with pics of your choice (Like the lock screen option in earlier iPhone OS's).
* Google search in Safari now has "search suggestions".
* If the GPS/compass is running, you get a tiny arrow icon on the top right corner of the home screen.
* Option to organize apps in "Folders" . Now, I have put all of my least used apps into a folder called Misc.
* Not a biggie - Camera app now has digital zoom. But so did many other non-native camera apps.

In any case, I think all of the above changes were done to bring the iPhone apps more in line with the requirements of the iPad OS. Disappointed that the rumor about an "FM Radio" app hasn't materialized yet.

Last edited by spadival : 11th April 2010 at 06:09.
Old 11th April 2010, 08:56   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Long click on the icon in in Task switch pane will bring a (-) sign and clicking on that sign closes the application, there is a video of this on engadget, have a look.

iPhone OS 4 hands-on (updated with video!) -- Engadget

-Pramod
I am aware of that Pramods but my doubt was about the statement Apple (Steve and party) made on two different occasions during that press conference. One statement says users should do it right while other statement says don't worry about it. Well typical corporate communication I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Quick review of the feature list on iPhone OS 4:

* Multi-tasking - But I feel some apps need to be updated to support this. i.e. keep running in the background without actually suspending.
=>That's what I was thinking about after learning about OS 4's multitasking feature. I mean running in the background means munching on the battery and hogging on resources!!!!

* Running apps seem to survive power cycles !! - i.e. you open a few apps, power off and then power back on, you can still see these apps in the "running apps" list.
=>Did this affect on bootup time at all?

* You can change the home screen background with pics of your choice (Like the lock screen option in earlier iPhone OS's).
=>Aaha, I will be looking forward to this feature. Nice find.

* Google search in Safari now has "search suggestions".
* If the GPS/compass is running, you get a tiny arrow icon on the top right corner of the home screen.
=>That's an indicator to reveal any app gathering your location. Apple called it "Enhanced Privacy" (Something similar, if not exactly).

* Option to organize apps in "Folders" . Now, I have put all of my least used apps into a folder called Misc.
=>I like it, save you flicking between pages
* Not a biggie - Camera app now has digital zoom. But so did many other non-native camera apps.

In any case, I think all of the above changes were done to bring the iPhone apps more in line with the requirements of the iPad OS. Disappointed that the rumor about an "FM Radio" app hasn't materialized yet.
Nice feedback spadival
Old 11th April 2010, 15:07   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yippe - I can see the OS 4 Beta release on the iPhone dev website. Let me go home, download it and see how it goes.

BTW, Anyone here has got an iPad yet?
Do you have a developer account? You just cant download it and install it otherwise!

It is only available for developers and beta testers. Your phone's UDID needs to be on the Apple servers for you to be able to restore to 4.0 beta.

I have been running OS 4.0 since yesterday...seems very good, folders are very handy and well implemented!
Old 12th April 2010, 00:21   #1947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
If and only if your iphone is jailbroken through "Blackra1n"!
If it was jailbroken through qwickpwn or sn0wbreez or any other software than no need to worry.
Boss, my dad's phone was unlocked via Blackra1n and is stuck with tethered boot...

If I do a quickpwn/sn0wbreez unlock, will the tethered booting problem go away?

Are you 100% sure about this?
Old 12th April 2010, 08:33   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
=>That's what I was thinking about after learning about OS 4's multitasking feature. I mean running in the background means munching on the battery and hogging on resources!!!!
Yes. Apple has some strict rules around what the apps can do, when they are running in the background. So the apps are either suspended or can only run tasks like streaming or VOIP related stuff.

=>Did this affect on bootup time at all?

Not really. Its a good feature especially if you want to have some VOIP app that you need to run in the background at startup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Do you have a developer account?
Yes.

Also, Some of the app features don't seem to work properly - Linkedin app crashes when I access the inbox.

But for a beta, its pretty good.
Old 12th April 2010, 09:26   #1949
Senior - BHPian

@spadi.... Do you have any information on the baseband 5.12.01 unlock?
Old 12th April 2010, 10:21   #1950
Senior - BHPian

No ET, my iPhone is unlocked and non-jailbroken. So I havnt really ventured into those "areas"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks