Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 00:59   #1996

I knew I would post here sooner or later. Anyways, Mr Behram Dhabhar has FINALLY bought the "ooOOooOOooh it looks so nice" iPhone! Luckily, I get to use it for a bit before i can explain it to him.

So which are the best apps for the phone,
Which are the essential apps (the ones that are a must have)
Is there a bluetooth transfer app??
Is there any app which will make dad's life easier with such a complicated phone?

Please do post relevant links!! Thanks.
Old 26th May 2010, 01:41   #1997
BHPian

Cyrus, the iPhone is not at all complicated. It's very easy to use, and trust me, once you get used to it, you won't want to switch to another make. The apps are your personal choice, what you need from the phone, only you know best. I use mine for most of my browsing, hence I have FB, Twitter and fring on it. Even this is being typed on the iPhone.

You have apps for everything you can think of.

Which one have you got? Is it locked? Do you plan on jailbreaking it?

Edit - yes there are Bluetooth transfer apps, but it's only to another iPhone, which uses the app. Check out the AppStore. If you're looking for free apps, check out apptrackr.com

Last edited by rg_chn : 26th May 2010 at 01:45.
Old 26th May 2010, 11:19   #1998
BHPian

Sorry Cyrus, its .org. Here's the link

apptrackr home
Old 26th May 2010, 12:11   #1999
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a 3GS with black rain. I wanted to know what is the next upgrade for me. I am facing the following problems
1. Have to connect to my comp to restart the phone
2. the phone slows down with time and needs a restart
3. I am not bale to install apps as it says that all my current apps will be deleted if i install one from itunes. I have around 15 pages of apps and dont want to loose them

thanks in anticipation
Old 26th May 2010, 14:18   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
Hi All,

I have a 3GS with black rain. I wanted to know what is the next upgrade for me. I am facing the following problems
1. Have to connect to my comp to restart the phone
2. the phone slows down with time and needs a restart
3. I am not bale to install apps as it says that all my current apps will be deleted if i install one from itunes. I have around 15 pages of apps and dont want to loose them

thanks in anticipation
Since you're running blackrain, I'm assuming you're on 3.1.2. Which means, there isn't an upgrade till the devteam comes out with one for OS 4.0.
1. Press and hold the power and home keys simultaneously and the phone will restart.
2. Even your phone needs a break just like us. I had the same problem. Switch it off for 15 min every 3 days. It helps.
3. In iTunes, there is a transfer purchases option. I don't exactly remember where, but I think, when you right click on the phone name in iTunes, it appears. Click on it, let it finish, and then you'll be able to install new apps without the old ones getting deleted.
Old 27th May 2010, 00:32   #2001

Thanks Gautam. Now, another query. How do you change the ringtone to a song of your choice? ? ? ?
Old 27th May 2010, 02:53   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Thanks Gautam. Now, another query. How do you change the ringtone to a song of your choice? ? ? ?
Is yours a locked or an unlocked one? If it's locked, just go to the AppStore, and search for a ringtone maker, then select a song and cut it, then sync your phone and voilą.

If it's unlocked, go to the apptrackr website, and download the ringtonemaker app onto your pc. Run it, select a song, and cut and sync.

PS - the free ringtone maker apps usually have a limit, the one I used was limited to 5 ringtones. Can't remember the name though.
Old 29th May 2010, 01:25   #2003

I still cant figure out the ringtone thing. HELP!! and, i need some good racing games too .
Old 29th May 2010, 02:15   #2004
BHPian

It's simple Cyrus bhai.
1. Download the app (either from AppStore or the link I gave)
2. Run the app on your pc, it'll ask you to select a song, and cut at the places where required.
3. Once this is done, click on save, and te ringtone will get saved on your iTunes.
4. Now sync your phone, and the ringtone will appear in settings>sounds>ringtones

About the racing games, I've tried one of the Asphalts and NFSU, I like the NFS more. It's available for download on the apptrackr site.

Cheers
Old 29th May 2010, 07:19   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Cyrus, the iPhone is not at all complicated. It's very easy to use, and trust me, once you get used to it, you won't want to switch to another make. The apps are your personal choice, what you need from the phone, only you know best. I use mine for most of my browsing, hence I have FB, Twitter and fring on it. Even this is being typed on the iPhone.

You have apps for everything you can think of.

Which one have you got? Is it locked? Do you plan on jailbreaking it?

Edit - yes there are Bluetooth transfer apps, but it's only to another iPhone, which uses the app. Check out the AppStore. If you're looking for free apps, check out apptrackr.com
+1, i would always say that its not at all complicated asI started up using iPhone 2 years back and dont plan to switch to any other phone, just waiting for next iPhone, the experience is more than awesome
There is a saying that 'there is an app for that', and its literally true; I think about some feature, google it up to find the application name, and there I'm done, its already there !

@Cyrus43 Talking about the bluetooth transfer app, I would like to correct you that, for jailbroken phones, there is iBluenova, which lets you send and receive files via bluetooth, to any phone having bluetooth.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:44   #2006
Senior - BHPian

BTW, on an average, how long do you guys manage to go on a single charge on the 3GS? Occasional use of WiFi (not always on).
Old 29th May 2010, 12:02   #2007
BHPian

I charge my iPhone 2G everyday, though it drops to 60-70% each day, I use around 1-2 hours of edge services, 10-15 mins of calling, and 1 hour of wifi each day. So, I guess it can easily last 2 days, and since yours is 3GS and mine is 2 years old 2G, so it will surely last more.
Also, my push notifications are switched off, if they are on, then it reduces by a big amount.

A month ago, I went to a place where there was no electricity; I left on full charge on Thursday evening (around 7) , and came back on Monday morning, from the same charge, using only 3-5 mins of phone each day, and some edge usage. It had still about 20% battery remaining, when I reached back home.
Old 1st June 2010, 12:57   #2008
BHPian

Method to add new ringtones to your iphone??

hey guys,
bumped into this as i was trying to find out how to add new tones to my iphone 3G. This is great and simple, it worked for me, by just using the itunes

Make custom free ringtones for iPhone 3GS using only iTunes
Old 1st June 2010, 13:49   #2009
Team-BHP Support

Unlock for 3.1.3 might be coming soon, details here iClarified - Apple News - iPhone Dev-Team Will Release Unlock for iPhone OS 3.1.3
Old 1st June 2010, 16:01   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The unlock is coming anytime after 7th June after the iPhone 4 event. The iPhone 4 looks darn tempting. The highest resolution display on a mobile phone ever and IPS at that, ipad spec SOC or on other words processor, HD video and higher resolution camera and its also an ipod and has that touch OS!

I have a feeling that other mobile companies will going back to their drawing boards after the new one is unveiled.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks