Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 12:11   #1816

Is there any chat client available for iPhone 1.1.4 via installer as app store is not available? Also, google talk is not working....I have tried using m.google.com/talk....contact list is displayed but gtalk is not connected. Please help.
Old 5th December 2009, 14:19   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyy22 View Post
Is there any chat client available for iPhone 1.1.4 via installer as app store is not available? Also, google talk is not working....I have tried using m.google.com/talk....contact list is displayed but gtalk is not connected. Please help.
Try Nimbuzz, but to be honest I really don't know whether it will work on 1.1.4

Why haven't you upgraded it yet?
Old 5th December 2009, 16:54   #1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post

Thanks Gopz. Nimbuzz is not available on installer. I haven't upgraded yet coz I dont know the procedure and I m not sure about the next version to which it can be easily upgraded (2 or 3). Can you please guide
Old 5th December 2009, 17:01   #1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post

Thanks Gopz. Nimbuzz is not available on installer. I haven't upgraded yet coz I dont know the procedure and I m not sure about the next version to which it can be easily upgraded (2 or 3). Can you please guide
Old 5th December 2009, 18:40   #1820

Quote:
It's actually very simple. U just need to connect it to your pc and open iTunes. Then. It will show you two options viz:- update or restore. Click on update and it will be updated. Viola u have the new version on type device now!
However u might have to pay 5$ for this. But if u too like to go the free way then pm me and I'll be more than happy to help.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:54   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitaggarwal View Post
It's actually very simple. U just need to connect it to your pc and open iTunes. Then. It will show you two options viz:- update or restore. Click on update and it will be updated. Viola u have the new version on type device now!
However u might have to pay 5$ for this. But if u too like to go the free way then pm me and I'll be more than happy to help.
Beware! If you are using a jailbroken unlocked iPhone, it will be locked using the above method. If you have officially bought it from Vodafone or airtel then it's fine.

I suggest you go through this entire thread before upgrading.
Old 5th December 2009, 21:36   #1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Beware! If you are using a jailbroken unlocked iPhone, it will be locked using the above method. If you have officially bought it from Vodafone or airtel then it's fine.

I suggest you go through this entire thread before upgrading.
thanks ankita and tejas. Its a jailbroken unlocked phone. I'll go through this thread to understand the procedure. If I am unable to do it, I'll contact you.
Old 6th December 2009, 02:53   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Everything is here mate, with screenshots

iClarified - Tutorials - iPhone
Old 6th December 2009, 14:58   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can use palringo instant messenger for google talk. Works like a charm, it's FREE. You get offline msgs, also you can set your status as away when you have closed this application. Check their site on google or iTunes .
Old 7th December 2009, 09:28   #1825
Senior - BHPian

My dad is travelling to the US this month. I was just wondering as to whther an i phone will work if i get one from there.
If so what should i mention to him or ask him to buy.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:28   #1826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
My dad is travelling to the US this month. I was just wondering as to whther an i phone will work if i get one from there.
If so what should i mention to him or ask him to buy.
You will need to jailbreak and unlock it to get it to work here. He will need to buy one without a plan from AT&T and should cost $599 or $699 (16GB or 32GB) + taxes for the iPhone 3GS.
Old 7th December 2009, 14:07   #1827
BHPian

Guys,

Just got my iPhone 3GS and it is FANTASTIC !! Undoubtedly one of the best gadgets I have used till date. Tried tethering yesterday and it works like a charm !

looking forward to install some exciting apps. any suggestions ?

Amogh
Old 7th December 2009, 20:24   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
NO. Jailbreaking does not change the IMEI number. No issues. In fact my iphone was stolen last year and the cops traced it within 3 months using the IMEI number. It was a 2G unlocked and jailbroken iphone.
My manager spoke to Airtel and they say that they wont support Iphones bought from the US basically Jailbroken. I tried with Vodafone and the same reply.

I guess they have someway to distinguish between an Indian and a Non-indian IMEI number.

So this means that I would have to get the Iphone registered in this month. Any thoughts guys?
Old 10th December 2009, 16:20   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Guys,

Just got my iPhone 3GS and it is FANTASTIC !! Undoubtedly one of the best gadgets I have used till date. Tried tethering yesterday and it works like a charm !

looking forward to install some exciting apps. any suggestions ?

Amogh
If you are into cars, try the dynolicious, gtac. Other than that, you have IM clients like IM+, twitterific. For fun, there is nothing to beat the ibeer. Need for Speed Undercover also runs great. To keep track of your vehicle bills, try VehiCal(its free and very useful).

I suppose your mobile is jailbroken. If so sky is the limit. Lots of free apps on cydia and the obvious other sources as well

It would be great if we have a seperate thread to discuss iphone specific apps.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:25   #1830
BHPian

I had installed the Backgrounder app (Cydia) which will allow apps like messenger to run in the background. But this was making my iphone very slow and draining the battery very quickly. So I uninstalled it but still I see that my iphone is very slow. Does anyone have a solution?

Most Viewed