Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2014, 09:55   #7126
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe in model prior to 5S , there was an option for 3G ( no LTE ) whereas after 5S its only LTE
Yes, 5S and 5C. I've never seen '3G' option of my Airtel 5C, be it on a 3G network or E.
Old 19th September 2014, 11:41   #7127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Truly hilarious - Is the Internet speed so bad even in Chennai? And all the rest of the Cities are also business hubs. In that case, Bangalore is blessed. We do have our own issues and barring some areas, 3G has picked up and we are getting true 3 to 6 mbps speed.
Well, lucky you

In Chennai, over the past year or so, 3G speeds on Airtel's network is just pathetic. Absolutely disgusting!

Not just that, but nearly every 2 minutes the 3G connection drops and reverts to Edge. Then there's no other option but to restart the phone, or fiddle with the toggle and restart the 3G connection. I've heard from close friends & reliable sources that the Vodafone network fares better on 3G. So am seriously considering porting to Vodafone to check it out. It can't possibly be worse than it is on Airtel at this time.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:54   #7128
Team-BHP Support

3G sucks in Bangalore (and other cities) too. I've never seen my phones hold onto the H/H+ sign more than a few mins at a stretch, no matter where I am in Bangalore. It can't be device-specific either because I've noticed it with at least THREE different brands of phones, and several models.

Telecom services may be cheap in India, but the service lives up to the price.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:19   #7129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
3G sucks in Bangalore (and other cities) too. I've never seen my phones hold onto the H/H+ sign more than a few mins at a stretch, no matter where I am in Bangalore. It can't be device-specific either because I've noticed it with at least THREE different brands of phones, and several models.

in my apartment, in the guest room, if i turn left i get GPRS and if i turn to my right i get 3G; there seems to be a invisible LoC.

go figure
Old 19th September 2014, 16:35   #7130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
in my apartment, in the guest room, if i turn left i get GPRS and if i turn to my right i get 3G; there seems to be a invisible LoC.

go figure
It happens only in India.....

The problem is not with the technology. It's the Titanic issue here. There were about 1,500 passengers and Life boats only for few Hundreds. These guys install towers and transponders for 10 lac subscribers and service to 1 crore.

Yes, consistency is an issue with all Service Providers. 2G, 3G, 4G etc., With my 4G Connection, it's either 26 to 28 mbps or it'll be less than 1 mbps. Most of the time the latter part (1 mbps). But I've adjusted, just like we all used to do with Bajaj Scooters - Tilt and then Kick start. If I have any important work, and it's on 2G Network, just switch off and then switch on.

In US, even 512K (Broadband) is much better than our 10 mbps, maybe because of consistency.

I'm still laughing at your left side and right side LOC. May be an old guest (Ghost) is camping on the Left side and using the bandwidth to communicate with other ghosts.
Old 19th September 2014, 17:56   #7131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
I'm still laughing at your left side and right side LOC. May be an old guest (Ghost) is camping on the Left side and using the bandwidth to communicate with other ghosts.
that's one tech-savvy ghost mate! freaking idiot is no doubt downloading ghost movies using torrent and killing me bandwidth.

mamma mia!
Old 19th September 2014, 18:26   #7132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Not just that, but nearly every 2 minutes the 3G connection drops and reverts to Edge. Then there's no other option but to restart the phone, or fiddle with the toggle and restart the 3G connection. I've heard from close friends & reliable sources that the Vodafone network fares better on 3G.
I have been experiencing the same. However, I have a different opinion about whether device affects this switching. On my iPhone 4S, I have observed umpteen times that on the first toggle of 3G-2g_3G, I still get an edge network. But on 2nd toggle cycle I get 3G with at least 3 bars of signal at the exact same location. I am flummoxed.

Moreover, the xperia which I owned before this iPhone had a very useful feature - it used to let me select "Only 3G" as my network mode. This was a real boon, and I used to get fairly uninterrupted coverage throughout my commute. But now with the iphone it constantly keeps on toggling to Edge on the very same commute where I used to get almost continuous 3G on my Xperia. That is really puzzling for me. Along with "Enable 3G", a "Disable 2G" option too is needed in my opinion.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:36   #7133
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Recently upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 but does anybody have any idea how to get back the 3G on/off toggle switch in iOS 8. I am currently on Airtel network.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by embee : 19th September 2014 at 19:38.
Old 19th September 2014, 20:05   #7134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Recently upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 but does anybody have any idea how to get back the 3G on/off toggle switch in iOS 8. I am currently on Airtel network.
Thanks for your help.

You can't get that without jailbreaking on airtel as they have LTE network as well.
Old 19th September 2014, 20:13   #7135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Absolutely true. You get what you pay for.
Old 19th September 2014, 20:59   #7136
BHPian

Has anybody reverted their iPhone to iOS 7 after upgrading to iOS 8??
Old 19th September 2014, 22:57   #7137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Well, lucky you

I've heard from close friends & reliable sources that the Vodafone network fares better on 3G. So am seriously considering porting to Vodafone to check it out. It can't possibly be worse than it is on Airtel at this time.

"Grass is always greener on the other side" Believe me when our office service provider was changed from Airtel to Vodafone last year as a part of one global service provider; for some reason I retained my Airtel number. All my other colleagues who switched to Vodafone faced severe issues then mine that too quite often at all locations. Hence I would suggest to enquire deeply and do more research before you switch to Vodafone.

PS: I can't remember how many times my network toggled between 3G ~2G ~ 3G within this short time of typing this post.
Old 20th September 2014, 07:51   #7138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Has anybody reverted their iPhone to iOS 7 after upgrading to iOS 8??
It is not possible unless you have an iPad 2 with saved SHSH blobs for iOS 5

Guys getting the 3G/Lte option depends on the carrier.
Dont you guys get the message of the new carrier update when plugged into iTunes?

That decides whether it should be 3g or LTE.
Old 20th September 2014, 09:03   #7139
BHPian

Running my iPad 2 and iPhone 5c with iOS8. Its pretty slick and smooth on both. Yes, initially most of the apps closed with no notice but eventually when updated to the latest version, all works fine. I love the Swype keyboard and feel its one of the greatest keyboard or addition to iPhone till date. Major plus which I like is the volume of speaker and earphone are mightily increased in iOS 8. Overall, I am satisfied.
Old 21st September 2014, 04:25   #7140
BHPian

@Embee
My Bad !I meant to say that if you downgrade a jailbroken broken you will lose the jailbreak.
Else you can downgrade easily .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks