Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 11:38   #7486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think I might end up buying an iPhone 5S in silver. Should it be in 16GB or 32GB? I don't stock much audio/video or any applications.

The more iPhone 6's I come across, the more I appreciate the 5's design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Get a 32GB one if its available. 16GB gets filled up quite fast if you go a bit heavy on apps.

Not just apps. Even recording long videos can take up space. I shot a 9min video and it was more than 1GB in size. Of course, it was in 1920x1080 resolution.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:35   #7487

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi friends,

I purchased an iPhone 6 (Sprint) from eBay's Global EasyBuy section recently. The listing mentioned the phone was "without contract", which I assumed meant the same thing as "unlocked". Turns out it wasn't.

Called up the seller, who said he is merely a logistics company, which processes orders from India. He asked me to contact Ebay India, which in turn asked me to contact Ebay US. Not wanting to get into a three-way slanging match, which won't go anywhere, gave up.

Chatted with Sprint customer care executive, who took down an "unlock request" basis the phone's IMEI no etc and said someone will get back in 7-10 days. Later, while researching on the Internet, I found out that phones purchased even at full price (and not blacklisted) are not unlocked before 90 days.

Can iPhone veterans please help me out? I am an Apple newbie but sufficiently tech-proficient (root my Android phones etc).

Options before me:
1) Wait for Sprint to revert.
2) Raise a claim with eBay, return the phone and claim a refund before its 30-day refund period is out.
3) Try one of the "factory unlocking" websites that claim to do it legally but, at first sight, charge a bomb (USD 100 odd).
4) Go to a decent local mobile repair shop and have it jailbroken. (Is this advisable considering I read Sprint phones are the toughest to break? What are the risks etc?).

Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:43   #7488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazimk24 View Post
Hi friends,

I purchased an iPhone 6 (Sprint) from eBay's Global EasyBuy section recently. The listing mentioned the phone was "without contract", which I assumed meant the same thing as "unlocked". Turns out it wasn't.

Called up the seller, who said he is merely a logistics company, which processes orders from India. He asked me to contact Ebay India, which in turn asked me to contact Ebay US. Not wanting to get into a three-way slanging match, which won't go anywhere, gave up.

Chatted with Sprint customer care executive, who took down an "unlock request" basis the phone's IMEI no etc and said someone will get back in 7-10 days. Later, while researching on the Internet, I found out that phones purchased even at full price (and not blacklisted) are not unlocked before 90 days.

Can iPhone veterans please help me out? I am an Apple newbie but sufficiently tech-proficient (root my Android phones etc).

Options before me:

2) Raise a claim with eBay, return the phone and claim a refund before its 30-day refund period is out.

3) Try one of the "factory unlocking" websites that claim to do it legally but, at first sight, charge a bomb (USD 100 odd).

4) Go to a decent local mobile repair shop and have it jailbroken. (Is this advisable considering I read Sprint phones are the toughest to break? What are the risks etc?).

Thanks.

Jailbreaking and Unlocking are completely different.
As regards as my knowledge goes you can either try the unlocking websites or wait for sprint.
I would suggest a visit to the apple store.

Also for others ,
Please read carefully as sim free and unlocked are 2 different things.
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:05   #7489
Senior - BHPian

yesterday morning something happened that weird-ed me out. when i woke up early morning, there was just 9% charge on my 5S. i unlocked the phone and was checking emails when all of a sudden the remaining charge dropped to 8% and then within 30sec dropped to 5% and then the phone switched off! won't turn on unless i connected the charger. this has never happened before, not even on my iPhone 4. the phone stays on till there is just 1% charge remaining.

anybody else had this problem?
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:24   #7490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yesterday morning something happened that weird-ed me out. when i woke up early morning, there was just 9% charge on my 5S. i unlocked the phone and was checking emails when all of a sudden the remaining charge dropped to 8% and then within 30sec dropped to 5% and then the phone switched off! won't turn on unless i connected the charger. this has never happened before, not even on my iPhone 4. the phone stays on till there is just 1% charge remaining.

I think dropbox is the culprit if you have it installed on your phone.
It tends to keep the location ON all the time and hence the battery drain.
I changed mine to never .
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:55   #7491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I think dropbox is the culprit if you have it installed on your phone.
It tends to keep the location ON all the time and hence the battery drain.
I changed mine to never .

But Dropbox was there before too. How come this happened just yesterday?

Btw, under Location Services, Dropbox is not listed, hence I believe it is not using the location.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:25   #7492
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Options before me:
Thanks.
Raise claim for refund immediately. Jail-breaking will void warranty and may cause software update problems. 10-12 days for getting back to you?

Don't buy very expensive phone online (specially ebay) even they are cheaper online by 2k-3k.

Quote:
Called up the seller, who said he is merely a logistics company,
Don't listen to all the rubbish stupidity they are feeding you, if they are just a logistic company ask them to stop selling stuff on ebay and just concentrate on freight business. You have paid huge price for buying iPhone, they just can't take you for a ride like this.

Quote:
Your battery has become weak. You may soon need a replacement !!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd January 2015 at 15:56. Reason: Back to back post. Please go through board rules.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:36   #7493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Raise claim for refund immediately. Jail-breaking will void warranty and may cause software update problems. 10-12 days for getting back to you?
Hi Max,

I have raised a refund claim with Ebay. Though I read somewhere that GEB refunds can get very messy. About the jailbreak point, considering that this phone is shipped from the US, won't it already not have warranty? In which case, should I consider jailbreaking it?

I am also thinking of going to an Apple store here in Mumbai to see what they have to say.

Quote:
Don't buy very expensive phone online (specially ebay) even they are cheaper online by 2k-3k.
I got a full 20k cheaper. 33k instead of 53k. Hence took the risk
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:52   #7494
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, under Location Services, Dropbox is not listed, hence I believe it is not using the location.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421918518.741198.jpg

Are you sure?
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:55   #7495
BHPian

Quote:

Had this issue once. Digged apple.com and traced the the diagnostic tool somewhere under customer service.

If possible do this from your phone itself, its easier to sync with the email link that you'll receive to trigger this tool. Once the data is available to the customer service rep, they will be able to tell you if the battery has gone kaput or any app is playing foul (they will call you back or you can chat with them online). Do you remember any particular app install right before your faced this issue?

In my case, explained the whole issue to them and they suggested a reset of the phone since the diagnostic data collected by the showed that battery has no issues . Its a process with multiple steps where backup on local computer with the help of iTunes is involved. you can also request them for all the steps through email. They will be glad to.

Followed all the steps, and set up the phone as 'new' after the reset. Battery performance has increased noticeably.

Last edited by 1lokesh : 22nd January 2015 at 15:16.
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:57   #7496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your battery has become weak. You may soon need a replacement !!!

my phone is just 5 months old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Attachment 1331428

Are you sure?

Yes yes, bheri sure

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421918788.665818.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Had this issue once. Digged apple.com and traced the the diagnostic tool somewhere under customer service.

If possible do this from your phone itself since they have got a tool to collect information from your phone. Once the data is available to the customer service rep, they will be able to tell you if the battery has gone kaput or any app is playing foul (they will call you back or you can chat with them online). Do you remember any particular app install right before your faced this issue?

In my case, explained the whole issue to them and they suggested a reset of the phone since the diagnostic data collected by the showed that battery has no issues . Its a process with multiple steps where backup on local computer with the help of iTunes is involved. you can also request them for all the steps through email. They will be glad to.

Followed all the steps, and set up the phone as 'new' after the reset. Battery performance has increased noticeably.

thanks Lokesh, i'll give it a try

Last edited by IronH4WK : 22nd January 2015 at 15:01.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:07   #7497
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Option 1 or 2. 3 If both 1 and 2 does not work. 4 don't bother there is no other way to unlock.

Quote:

Sometimes even some stupid app stuck in the background can cause such issues. If it is regularly happening, then battery is on it way out. What i would suggest is do a complete charge cycling two times and see if there is an improvement.

Charge cycling means, full charge and letting phone run out completely. Leaving it in that state for an hour or so and then complete full charge. So time discharge towards your sleep time at night.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:24   #7498
BHPian

Quote:
Options before me:

Thanks.
1) You may want to wait for Sprint to revert, but I personally couldn't have. After spending a bomb - I simply wouldn't have the patience
2) Definitely file a claim with eBay immediately. once out of the refund window, you lose your right to take them on task
3) Please stay away. A friend got conned by one of these sites. Not all of them might be bad, but why take a chance?
4) Definitely not.

Finally, I would also try eBay US and would pressurize them for a quick resolution or refund.
Old 22nd January 2015, 15:29   #7499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sometimes even some stupid app stuck in the background can cause such issues. If it is regularly happening, then battery is on it way out. What i would suggest is do a complete charge cycling two times and see if there is an improvement.

Charge cycling means, full charge and letting phone run out completely. Leaving it in that state for an hour or so and then complete full charge. So time discharge towards your sleep time at night.
hmm.. this has happened only once. this morning the battery was at 16% and i didn't see any drastic drop in the remaining charge. that being said, i'll try the charge cycling thingy and see if that helps.
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:21   #7500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,

Options before me:

Thanks.
Without contract means exactly that. The phone is without a plan but it is locked to Sprint.

In this situation, I'd wait for Sprint to revert. I don't see what you'd file a claim with eBay for -- The item is as promised and has no defects. Why would they open a refund claim? Option 3 and 4 are only worthwhile if Sprint doesn't get back. Although from personal experience, I can tell you local shops also charge as much as the websites - 6-8k. And Canadian operators like Bell also charge for unlocking.

There is one other option, if you found out who the US seller was (on eBay.com) and check if he has a returns policy. The GEB seller can help you with that, if nothing else.

Quote:

Don't listen to all the rubbish stupidity they are feeding you, if they are just a logistic company ask them to stop selling stuff on ebay and just concentrate on freight business. You have paid huge price for buying iPhone, they just can't take you for a ride like this.
My last 2-3 phones have been bought online, including from eBay. There is nothing wrong with eBay if you know what you are doing.

The GEB seller that you see in India (I think its called I2C World) is just an intermediary between U.S. sellers and Indian buyers. They are a freight company. They are not a direct seller. Being belligerent with them won't help nazimk24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks