Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 11:08   #7516
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like Apple has gone on to quietly release an iOS update, Version 8.1.3.

Attachment 1333627
I somehow sense a slightly higher battery drain on my iPhone 6 after I upgraded to iOS 8.1.3? Just me?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 29th January 2015, 11:15   #7517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
I somehow sense a slightly higher battery drain on my iPhone 6 after I upgraded to iOS 8.1.3? Just me?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Did you update OTA, or using iTunes?
I downloaded the update on iTunes, but yet to update the phone. Am still on the highly stable 7.1.1, so really unsure about updating.
Old 29th January 2015, 12:11   #7518
BHPian

Quote:
I downloaded the update on iTunes, but yet to update the phone. Am still on the highly stable 7.1.1, so really unsure about updating.
Performed an OTA update. Haven't heard or read any reviews about this update. I will be holding on before updating to 8.2. Clearly, a lot of stuff is broken with each update. Which iPhone series are you on, mate?
Anybody here who was able to install iTransmission 4 successfully on their unjailbroken iPhone 6 running iOS 8+? I was able to download it however, fails to get installed each time

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 29th January 2015 at 12:21.
Old 31st January 2015, 12:14   #7519
BHPian

I am looking at iphone 6 plus - 64 GB. The price is at Rs. 71.5K. Do not know whether it is wise to buy a phone at such a price.

Royally confused!!!
Old 31st January 2015, 14:12   #7520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am looking at iphone 6 plus - 64 GB. The price is at Rs. 71.5K. Do not know whether it is wise to buy a phone at such a price.

Royally confused!!!

I'd settle for a 32GB. No way in hell I'm gonna pay so much for a phone, unless I'm Bill Gates
Old 31st January 2015, 14:56   #7521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I'd settle for a 32GB. No way in hell I'm gonna pay so much for a phone, unless I'm Bill Gates

It's a pity, they don't have a 32 gig version of it yet. It is speculated that from the next release onwards, they will have 32 gig as the base model instead of 16. These new high end graphics games they keep on coming out with take close to 2 gig by themselves. No way in hell 16 gig will be enough for those who do play games, especially when only 13 odd gigs are usable.
Old 1st February 2015, 00:48   #7522
Senior - BHPian

guys - anyone facing the Local Disk problem on your iOS device; my query is specifically with iPhone. i tried to backup my photos and found so many of them and Explored just errors out. searched the internet and found an possible explanation:

Quote:
Any photos that are altered (cropped, photo filters applied, etc.) result in one of these phantom "local disk" files appearing under the camera folder. I'd guess that the iPhone is saving off some sort of config file describing the edits that were made. I verified that either reverting the edit or deleting the edited photo entirely causes the corresponding "local disk" file to disappear.

Unfortunately, there appears to be no way to determine which photos each of these "edit" files applies to. In addition, they seem to cause major problems for Windows Explorer if you try to copy the entire folders; under Windows 7, it caused Explorer to crash every time for me.

Seems like a bug that was apparently introduced in iOS 8 that affects the way photo files are exposed via the DCIM shared folder.
source
Old 1st February 2015, 01:11   #7523
BANNED

The iPhone Thread

Well, here is one solution.
Import photos and choose to delete after importing.
Click skip all files with errors.
You'll be left with only the photos that are edited ie. Not copy able
Then you can either email them to yourself or import them to an app like camera+ or something similar and copy using app data in iTunes.
I'm not sure if camera+ allows that in the latest version so check it first.

EDIT: ramification: if you'd like to sync the photos back to your device and use iTunes then you won't be able to delete them by using the phone itself.
The camera+ or iFunbox approach might work though.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 1st February 2015 at 01:12.
Old 1st February 2015, 11:15   #7524
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

I sat and Revert to Original all the photos (from almost 2000 photos) that I had edited (the ones I could remember) and when I checked again after connecting to PC the Local Disks had reduced to just a few. That means if you revert to the original picture, they can still be saved.

Weird problem Apple has created. Now onwards I'm just gonna use Photoforge for my edits and save the to the roll.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st February 2015 at 11:23.
Old 2nd February 2015, 05:33   #7525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Performed an OTA update. Haven't heard or read any reviews about this update. I will be holding on before updating to 8.2. Clearly, a lot of stuff is broken with each update. Which iPhone series are you on, mate?
I have continued to remain on iOS 7.1.1, which has been really stable till now. After waiting n watching, i realized iOS 8.1.2 is stable, and so decided to update to this version. That's when i saw Apple had released a new version 8.1.3.

I have once again decided to wait n watch.

Quote:
I sat and Revert to Original all the photos (from almost 2000 photos) that I had edited (the ones I could remember) and when I checked again after connecting to PC the Local Disks had reduced to just a few. That means if you revert to the original picture, they can still be saved.

Weird problem Apple has created. Now onwards I'm just gonna use Photoforge for my edits and save the to the roll.
I use Photoshop Express to edit pics on the phone, after i discovered that any edits made using the inbuilt Edits on Camera Roll don't actually save onto the pic when viewed on Windows.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd February 2015 at 05:35. Reason: Added new reply.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:09   #7526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Quote:
I upgraded my iP5 to 8.1.3 a few days back and I don't feel the battery drain to be any faster.
I upgraded using the iTunes as I have had a couple of bad experiences (during iOS 8 updates) when I updated directly. So far my phone is running without any hiccups.

Quote:
guys - anyone facing the Local Disk problem on your iOS device; my query is specifically with iPhone. i tried to backup my photos and found so many of them and Explored just errors out. searched the internet and found an possible explanation:
source
I am facing the same problem in my phone (probably because of the PhotoEditor app that I use to edit a few photos). I thought that was some kind of "virus" and ignored it out of laziness as my phone was running fine. . I will delete all the edited pics and check if the virtual drives are removed.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:25   #7527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I upgraded my iP5 to 8.1.3 a few days back and I don't feel the battery drain to be any faster.
I upgraded using the iTunes as I have had a couple of bad experiences (during iOS 8 updates) when I updated directly. So far my phone is running without any hiccups.

Hey there,

So is updating via iTunes relatively safer compared to OTA? Any pointers to why this can be when both iTunes and OTA would have the same update for download? Do share a couple of issues that you ran into with the OTA updates. Just keen to learn coz, based on this information, I'll follow your approach for any future updates

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:51   #7528
BHPian

Quote:
Hey there,

So is updating via iTunes relatively safer compared to OTA? Any pointers to why this can be when both iTunes and OTA would have the same update for download? Do share a couple of issues that you ran into with the OTA updates. Just keen to learn coz, based on this information, I'll follow your approach for any future updates

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Been running iOS 8.1.3 for about 5 days today, both on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Updated OTA. Have been always doing so, but never faced any issues.
Just ensure basic stuff like 1) you have a fast enough WiFi connection (Don't try over 3G/Data) atleast say 2 MBPS 2) have enough battery life say 85%+ or on charge and 3) more than 3GB of free space within the device for a clean and smooth update
End of the day, its an update setup file, which is the same for both OTA and iTunes. Only difference is the storage where the update file resides. In OTA its in your phone memory and for iTunes, its on your hard disk.

Cheers!
Old 2nd February 2015, 14:38   #7529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am facing the same problem in my phone (probably because of the PhotoEditor app that I use to edit a few photos). I thought that was some kind of "virus" and ignored it out of laziness as my phone was running fine. . I will delete all the edited pics and check if the virtual drives are removed.
the issue is not with pictures edited using another app and saved to the Camera Roll. the issue crops up when one uses the Camera Roll's built-in editor.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:10   #7530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey there,

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
While upgrading to iOS 8.0-8.0.2, I did it OTA after which I faced problems like a non-responsive lock screen. The details can be found in my post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3546525
After a lot of google searches, I finally set up a trouble-shooting session with Apple Care who advised me to restore using iTunes. They also advised me to try upgrade using iTunes as much as possible. The reason they gave is sometimes, the upgrade is broken/incomplete/improper while doing it OTA. I have following the advice ever since with no complaints so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Been running iOS 8.1.3 for about 5 days today, both on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Updated OTA. Have been always doing so, but never faced any issues.
Just ensure basic stuff like 1) you have a fast enough WiFi connection (Don't try over 3G/Data) atleast say 2 MBPS 2) have enough battery life say 85%+ or on charge and 3) more than 3GB of free space within the device for a clean and smooth update
End of the day, its an update setup file, which is the same for both OTA and iTunes. Only difference is the storage where the update file resides. In OTA its in your phone memory and for iTunes, its on your hard disk.

Cheers!
In the above situation, while upgrading OTA my device had about 17+ GB of free space, was on charge and was connected to a 10Mbps Wifi connection. Yet I ended up facing issues after the upgrade. Most of previous upgrades were done OTA (from iOS 6-8) and I hadn't faced any problem till that day.

Quote:
the issue is not with pictures edited using another app and saved to the Camera Roll. the issue crops up when one uses the Camera Roll's built-in editor.
Thanks a lot! I have very few pictures edited using the in-built features. How can I roll-back the changes?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks