Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 10:32   #12181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Would it be prudent/the right thing to do, to first take a backup and then upgrade to 13.1? Or, is it safe from the data perspective to upgrade over wifi without bothering about a backup. My Wife has over 9 thousand photos/videos.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Use iCloud to back up as another member just suggested. You will need wifi connection for it. Just confirm after taking back up by logging in your iCloud account to check if photos indeed have been backed up.

It is advisable to take back ups before OS upgrade, but I haven't lost any data while updating in my experience. But if data is critical, better to be safe than sorry.

Regards,
Saket
Old 27th September 2019, 11:11   #12182
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Prabhu and Saket!

I will take a backup thru Google photos, it's free right?

ICloud - I will have to take a subscription because of the amount of data, hence haven't done it.

Please clarify if I have missed something.

Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
If photo and video are the prime concern please back it up on Google photos as well. Even otherwise it is always better to have a regular back up on Google or onedrive. Later do a hard reset on the phone and then give a try. And have you tried iCloud backup? That also works very well and you don't need itunes in that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
It is advisable to take back ups before OS upgrade, but I haven't lost any data while updating in my experience. But if data is critical, better to be safe than sorry.
Old 27th September 2019, 12:17   #12183
BHPian

Quote:
Please help!
I wanted to backup the phone before upgrading to 13.1, after connecting to iTunes, the phone is not getting recognized. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but still the issue persists.
Not meaning to scare you, but years ago I had similar symptoms on my 5s and it turned out that the phone was liquid damaged ( event traced to almost 6 months earlier, when the phone was lying on the window ledge ,where house plants were getting watered and excess water seeping on the window ledge). The phone worked fine with no issues, till I went to backup for some reason. Authorised centre offered to replace by paying 15 or 21000( can't remember now). I didn't take up the offer and gave it to an aftermarket( reliable) guy, who killed it altogether.
So if push comes to a shove and liquid damage is the cause, replace the phone by paying whatever is the service centres deal.

Backup related ideas
1)Airdrop on your phone,by emptying your phone first.
2) Camera Roll at times, shows up as a drive on a PC. One can just copy paste in such cases, but I believe the connection is not happening.
3) Move photos/videos in batches, to the files folder. Then access files from web interface simultaneously and move them locally.
4) Google drive as suggested.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 27th September 2019 at 12:19.
Old 27th September 2019, 12:28   #12184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Not meaning to scare you, but years ago I had similar symptoms on my 5s and it turned out that the phone was liquid damaged ( event traced to almost 6 months earlier, when the phone was lying on the window ledge ,where house plants were getting watered and excess water seeping on the window ledge). The phone worked fine with no issues, till I went to backup for some reason. Authorised centre offered to replace by paying 15 or 21000( can't remember now). I didn't take up the offer and gave it to an aftermarket( reliable) guy, who killed it altogether.
So if push comes to a shove and liquid damage is the cause, replace the phone by paying whatever is the service centres deal.
Thanks Ritesh for the heads up.

I am going to the service centre today, will see what they have to say. Will update here later. I don't think there was any water damage at all.

My phone is out of warranty, do they still make a replacement offer?
Old 27th September 2019, 12:45   #12185
BHPian

Quote:
Please help!

This is regarding my Wife's 8 plus, there is an issue which did not get resolved over a call with Apple support for more than an hour. I am going to the service center tomorrow as per their instructions. It's to be seen whether a different computer can detect the phone, we will go from there.The phone is out of warranty, purchased in January 2018.

I wanted to backup the phone before upgrading to 13.1, after connecting to iTunes, the phone is not getting recognized. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, but still the issue persists. A settings reset on the phone also did not work. No phone is getting detected/shown thru device manager on the laptop too. Everything was working fine on the same laptop a month or so ago, windows and iTunes have the current update.

Would it be prudent/the right thing to do, to first take a backup and then upgrade to 13.1? Or, is it safe from the data perspective to upgrade over wifi without bothering about a backup. My Wife has over 9 thousand photos/videos.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Since I did not see any mention of this in your post - have you tried using a different cable to connect the phone to the computer? Sometimes it could just be a bum cable.

Cheers
Old 27th September 2019, 17:36   #12186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
If photo and video are the prime concern please back it up on Google photos as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Use iCloud to back up as another member just suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Not meaning to scare you, but years ago I had similar symptoms on my 5s and it turned out that the phone was liquid damaged ( event traced to almost 6 months earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Since I did not see any mention of this in your post - have you tried using a different cable
Thank you Prabhu, Saket, Ritesh and Tilt!

Update on my issue after the Apple Service Centre visit:

My phone connected to iTunes immediately with my cable and theirs on their Mac. Just to be sure had them check it 4 times in my presence in 15 minutes or so.

The problem is definitely with my laptop, perhaps some conflict with windows 10 or whatever. The repair person is coming over on Tuesday to my place to sort it out. Will update here with the findings.

On a side note:

Had a proper 10-15 minute hands on with the iPhone 11 Pro Max and the 11. They had all the models on display and were getting ready with staff briefings for the circus starting at 6pm today. This was at the Maple store on Linking Road in Bandra, Mumbai.

11 Pro Max - The matt green on the back is really, really good in person than in the pictures/videos on social media. The triple cameras also don't look bad at all. Phone is decently snappy and a uniform Apple experience as such. To me coming from a Note 10 Plus, animations in Apple make the device feel slow in comparison. Don't want to get into comparisons too much, in case someone wants to know something in particular, please feel free to ask.

11 - Did not bother too much with it except putting the Pro Max and the 11 side by side to check out the screens. The 11 display is definitely dull and boring when viewed together with the Pro Max. This is with max brightness mind you.

Cheers
Old 28th September 2019, 00:13   #12187

I have noticed Siri is also not performing as well on iOS 13.1 as it was on iOS 12.x. I mainly use it to place calls while driving and the feedback is not as accurate and fast as it used to be. I am using an iPhone 8. Anyone else also notice this?
Old 28th September 2019, 00:57   #12188
Senior - BHPian

There was a new ios version released today, 13.1.1. It mentioned that it contained fixes for battery drain, iphone restore from backup issue etc. I upgraded to it but couldn't make out any difference as such. I am not a heavy user and battery lasts for almost 2 days easily for my usage.
Old 28th September 2019, 01:22   #12189
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I spend some time at the Apple Shop at the Galleria in Dallas during my US trip this week. In the end I just bought my wife the most basic model 8. The new iPhones do not really offer anything that I am prepared to shell out more than $1000,--.

My iPhone 6s crashed and I managed to crack the glass here in Dallas. So I could not trade it in. I have an 6S+ as well. It used to be my back up phone. I think it is really a little to big, but it is effectively about the same size as the smallest of all these new iPhones. So I just pressed my back up phone in action and use it as my daily phone now.

I hope my wife is going to be happy with the iPhone 8. Her current phone is hand me down (from me) Must be a iPhone 4 or 5, not sure. But again, her new phone will be somewhat larger than her current iPhone.

The trend seems to be, on average, larger screens. Which is understandable, up to a point.

Jeroen
Old 28th September 2019, 09:22   #12190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

The trend seems to be, on average, larger screens. Which is understandable, up to a point.

Jeroen

I was in the market for a phone for my wife recently and she had only one requirement - she didn't want one of those huge 6 inch screen phones. Surprisingly ended up to be a more difficult task than originally imagined. It is only in the basic entry level or the absolute high end (s10e) that phones were available with a couple in between. It makes me wonder if consumer preference has generally changed towards big screen phones or is it something being thrust upon us by manufacturers.
Old 28th September 2019, 13:12   #12191
Distinguished - BHPian

New 13.1.1 update from Apple!
Don't see anything upfront. Probably some security updates only.

Also in another news, Apple may revert to iPhone 4/ 4s designs in its next iteration!

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/n...claims-analyst

Last edited by saket77 : 28th September 2019 at 13:17.
Old 28th September 2019, 14:55   #12192
Oxy
BHPian

Not that I am looking for an iPhone but I just saw the XR available on Amazon for 38k (including SBI discount). Great deal in my opinion.
Old 28th September 2019, 15:11   #12193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Not that I am looking for an iPhone but I just saw the XR available on Amazon for 38k (including SBI discount). Great deal in my opinion.
Just ordered a 64GB black XR for 38k through my SBI debit card.
Old 28th September 2019, 19:02   #12194
Team-BHP Support

128 GB variant of the 7 is available for ~35k now. The form factor is perfect for me and the metal back means I can continue my preference of not putting a cover on a phone. I've ordered one from a retail store.

Checked out a variety of phones (One+, Samsung and Apple), I was very impressed by the gamut of options and features available these days, but I just cannot live with phones as big as size 7 footwear, irrespective of brand and the jaw-dropping gimmickry.

P.S. Samsung are reportedly discontinuing the S10e, or so the salespeople at the Samsung Store on Brigade Road told me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th September 2019 at 19:20.
Old 28th September 2019, 19:56   #12195
BHPian

Just saw that the X would be available for 41k post all discounts, on Flipkart. That's a pretty good deal. Even better than the Xr, I feel.

Last edited by omar : 28th September 2019 at 19:57. Reason: Added the source of the deal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks