Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 14:52   #13921
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Interesting how you jumped to religion.
Why do you think laws against monopolies/cartels/price fixing exist? Is it to prevent companies from doing fair business? Of course not, it is to prevent companies from exploiting their position in the market and filling their coffers at the expense of others. In other words, those laws exist to prevent companies from getting too greedy. Some greed is good, a lot of it leads to disasters.
Such laws go against free markets and are made by people who try to promote morality in business. And in most people such kind of morality is instilled by religion.

Last edited by dragonfire : 17th September 2021 at 14:54.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 15:01   #13922
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A company is not a being and therefore not "greedy".
Au contraire. Corporate personhood Legal person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Such laws go against free markets and are made by people who try to promote morality in business. And in most people such kind of morality is instilled by religion.
Dude! Antitrust laws
Old 17th September 2021, 15:10   #13923
Senior - BHPian

Gosh guys, Apple is greedy, evil, gives incremental updates blah blah blah. 120hz not there across the board on the 13 series, always on display not there, so many Android features not included and so much more. I have sampled the so called 120hz display and don’t miss anything, scrolling or smoothness or anything at all, even with my two generation old iPhone 11 - even today. Always on display, another hyped up feature, just a finger tap on the display, is it so difficult? Too much about nothing at all.

Is there a gun to anyone’s head to buy the iPhone? Any family member getting kidnapped if you don’t buy one? If the answer to both questions is NO, then don’t buy one if you don’t want to, should be pretty simple, is it not?

Apple is a business like any other or you could perhaps say unlike any other . They are in it to maximise profits while giving products and services for which they have millions of takers. It’s fair game I would say.

It’s a free world to crib, cry and buy, crib, cry and don’t buy or since everything is extremely clearly explained (by Apple and various uTube channels) regarding what you are getting, which for me is a seamless, smooth and simple user experience over an extended period of time, you buy an iPhone. Choice is yours!

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th September 2021 at 15:14.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 15:28   #13924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Is there a gun to anyone’s head to buy the iPhone?
It seems somebody had a gun to his head and so he admittedly bought one. That gun apparently is called "greed".

As if it wasn't in one's control but controlled by Apple via voodoo. If you didn't know Apple spends billions of dollars on Voodoo practitioners than software developers. Steve Jobs was a Voodoo master himself.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:01   #13925
Senior - BHPian

As usual rather than discussing the new product ( but it is another thing that nothing new to discuss in this regard ) It has come down to discussion on ethics of apple policies and who is more innovative.

No one is stopping anyone from buying Apple products. But in a free market, as much right you have to buy and promote a product, the other guy has same rights to criticize and expose business evils of corporates.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:23   #13926
BHPian

I decided to skip the 13 pro series as I got 12 pro light year. Seems like I’ll skip 14 series as well and just get 15 after 3 full years of use.

Disappointed about AirPods though, I wanted to get the leaked AirPods ( Pro shape but without ANC/Rubber tips) but had to buy AirPods Pro in the end as I can’t wait for 2022 now.
Old 17th September 2021, 17:22   #13927
BHPian

Please read Milton Friedman on free market forces and how, in the long run no single company that doesn’t provide exceptional value for money in their products/services can survive. A sale can only take place when the buyer perceives the utility derived to be greater than 1 (Utility = Value/Price). Buyers vote with their wallet, if the price is too high the product just won’t sell, greedy or not.

Taking my own case to give a practical example, despite their high pricing in India (due to import taxes mainly, blame the gov. not the mfg). My 6s cost 75k back in 2015, I used it till 2020 (cause I wanted the newer tech) it was running flawless. 75,000/60 months = 1250 per month, this is less than what you’d pay for a pizza. If you don’t see the mad value iPhones provide to the user, you’re being biased. The cameras on my 12 pro max alone would be over a lakh if I were to buy the camera + lenses with similar capability separately.

Before you say newer iPhones are more expensive, keep in mind inflation over the last 5 years, if anything they are cheaper and give even more value. Even if I assume 4 years of use for the 12 pro max: 160,000/48 months = 3,333 per month. If you get cheaper 128 or 256gb variants this number will be even lower, also I’ve assumed zero resale value at the end, chances are you’ll get something for it after 4 years, again taking the number lower.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:51   #13928
BHPian

Well if you want the flagship phones then you need to pay the costs. But I would here disagree that only iphones are running flawlessly. Other flagship phones also do the same. i have been using a blackberry keyone phone for over 4 years now without much fuss. similarly the value equation tends to favour the blackbery keyone in my case. My son is using an Huawei Mate 20 pro around 3 year and similar is with my better half who is using XR for around the same amount of time.

The resale value of the iphones is higher and obviously the same is more in demand therefore tends to fetch a better price in the used market as compared to others.

Apart from Truecaller and the long charging time taken by the iphones I think iphones tick all boxes in its favour.
Old 17th September 2021, 18:15   #13929
Senior - BHPian

Lets change the tone of this thread. I pre-ordered a 13 Pro Max in Sierra Blue along with Wisteria colors leather case just now. Can't wait!
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 18:57   #13930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post

My biggest gripe with Iphone 11 and XR is that they have very very poor noise isolation. The other person on call can hear everything going on your background (people talking, TV radio, Traffic). I can't believe why apple cannot fix it.
iPhone uses active noise cancellation (not very effective) so background noise has less effect on you but the other person at receiving end bound hear everything going around you.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:21   #13931
BHPian

So, I finally made my mind to buy iPhone 12 last year, just before the pandemic. The plan was to buy the iPhone 12 (as it finally got the AMOLED XDR), Apple Watch 3 (or SE), and Airpods Pro when the iPhone 13 launches and prices drop a bit.

I joked to a friend that I should start a SIP of sorts so that I could buy all this stuff while keeping both of my kidneys intact.

Here I am, grudgingly pondering over my plan. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. The 'stopgap' K20 pro isn't giving any complaints even after almost two years. The Soundcore Liberty Pro 2 is totally fantastic for music and calls (my main use case).

Despite having a Macbook Pro and iPad (both from the office), I am still not able to get the nudge to buy the iPhone. At least for the Macbook pro, I can vouch that there is absolutely nothing like it.

But here I am, still pondering. In Feb 2020, I really wanted it. Now, I don't know.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:41   #13932
BHPian

As per my experience don't buy those Apple products in which Apple has implemented a feature/design change for the first time. Wait for the 2nd generation of the same product.

Some examples:
1. iPhone 6 had bendgate. It was solved with the launch of iPhone 6s.

2. iPhone 7 had the same frame bending problem which caused audio failure. It was solved with iPhone 8 launch.

3. iPhone X had 1st gen Face ID and it was slow! Literally it failed on the launch day. Face ID improved on iPhone Xs and XR.

4. 2018 iPad Pro was so thin, it caused bendgate.

5. Redesigned Apple Watch Series 4 had many problems and was discontinued soon after the release of Series 5.

6. iPhone 12 mini had battery backup issues. Battery life increased by 1.5 Hrs on iPhone 13 mini.

7. 1st HomePod was a complete disaster. but the sound quality was superb.

8. AirTags are not that good. Galaxy Tags is a tough competitor.

ProMotion(120Hz) is new on iPhone 13 Pro so battery life will be an issue. iPhone 14 series will have the perfect balance of high refresh rate+good battery life.

Currently I have iPhone XR, maybe I will buy iPhone 14 if the design leaked by Jon Prosser is true.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:45   #13933
BHPian

For that kind of price, I (and it is just me) would rather buy Apple stocks. The rate at which Apple can maximize profits is remarkable. As I write this, APPL stocks are at USD147. In the price of iPhone 13 Pro, one can buy 11.8 shares. Not bad.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:53   #13934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan View Post
5. Redesigned Apple Watch Series 4 had many problems and was discontinued soon after the release of Series 5.
And the Series 5 was discontinued after the 6 was launched. And the 6 may soon go off with the arrival of 7 (they’ll keep the SE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan
6. iPhone 12 mini had battery backup issues. Battery life increased by 1.5 Hrs on iPhone 13 mini.
Been on the 12 mini since April, not sure what the battery backup issue is…

The iPhone Thread-file.jpeg
Old 17th September 2021, 20:05   #13935
BHPian

This is an amazing and mind boggling thread. It has enough topics to write more than 20 thesis :-)

Apple, or for that matter any company that has created such an desirable or aspirational quotient, will always have pricing power. Question is how many such companies exist and even if they do, for how long they can do. This is where Apple excelled for many years now. I believe iPhone as product is generally way above the rest simply for the durability of the product, main reason being iOS update available for 5-6 years. That alone is a big USP. Can you say this for other premium brand Android phone? Further, while Android has caught up with OS security, for long iOS was and is more reliable.

Specifically in my case, I had iPhone 7 Plus way back in 2016 (changed from Android), within a month of being available in India - and it is still going strong. Had an opportunity to replace the battery for 2K INR and did that in 2018 Dec. So, it is 5 years in a couple of months and have no reason to discard yet!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks