Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2021, 16:46   #14116
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Important update for those who face Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues with Apple’s OLED screens, the 11 Pro series, 12 and now the 13 series phones. Please ensure you spend a decent time with it in stores before spending your hard earned money.

Just tried the 13 Pro Max, it took just 10-15 minutes of playing with the phone for my eyes to start burning. No headache or anything else in such a short while, but enough for me to walk away from upgrading. I did not find the much advertised 120hz display a very big thing, it was just ok, didn’t think too much of it at all.

Have to stick with my 11 for at least another year or till this phone lasts. No complaints with the 11 at all, just wanted to upgrade to the latest.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th October 2021 at 16:49.
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:30   #14117
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to people who suggested the colour tint option. Though I read about this possible resolution on the net but somehow skipped the ’hue’ slider as I missed scrolling further thinking it’s the End of the screen. I keep adjusting the intensity slider and couldn’t find the results. But finally hue solved the issue. Thanks again.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 02:34   #14118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Am wondering if the standard Axis flipkart 5% unlimited discount is still applicable on this purchase or not?
So the answer is Yes. Somehow missed this as I was looking for the sms stating eligibility for 5% cashback. It will be adjusted in Dec bill.

The iPhone Thread-2c53e9c89dff4b0b8c280743dbeb35e8.jpeg

So effectively the 128GB iPhone 12 cost me around 49.4k INR. Good value at this price.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:08   #14119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
3. No explicit separation between Personal and Work profiles. Focus modes are great for granular notification mgmt., but I really like the option to keep apps separated, and single click to turn all work apps off end of my day.
Even I am exploring this in detail, and post the iPad update, this has become brilliant! Still lots to explore. Here are some videos that I watched for better information.

blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 12:36   #14120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
In late 2018, there was an offer by Apple to replace the battery for 2K INR, which I availed. Yes, it was at Apple authorised center.

Interestingly now - 2 years and 9 months, health of battery is 90%. Earlier it was 88% after 2 years usage. My usage specifically in last 18 months is far more than what it was earlier, thanks to Pandemic. So, the replaced battery seems to have performed better or the iOS has improved significantly. Either way, it was good experience.
Update: Bought iPhone 12 in the recent BBD from Flipkart. Paid INR 56,999. Managed to get INR 14,200 for my old phone 7 Plus in Cashify. I had bought 7 Plus in 2016 Dec and had got about 16K discount. Assuming an IRR of 9% calculated the monthly depreciation and it turns out to be about INR 1200 per month. Not bad.

I had bought other phones for the family members that are non iPhone and much lower price. However, none of them lasted more than 2-3 years - either they stop working or doesn't meet the requirements. When you calculate the monthly depreciation for then, it is around 600-800 Rs. That means overall iPhone TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) for the asset only, is not bad considering the premium experience one gets. Key is to hold the phone for long period; it is same for the cars too, to get good value .
Old 15th October 2021, 01:51   #14121
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I wanted to share something and seek advice on an issue which might not be entirely related to an iPhone device.

I have been facing some serious dry eye issues over the last 1 year or so. Obviously, since the pandemic days the screen usage has gone up drastically. I visited the doctor a few times and they are not able to resolve the issue completely. They mentioned it could be a combination of high usage of devices, pollen in air etc.

This issue was severe last year but, I feel almost 80% better now but, I still have an underlying dry eye issue. I use eye drops a couple of times a day to soothe my eyes.

My question- Is this due to iPhone 12 Promax screen? Is there a way to safeguard eyes from the supposedly blue tint danger? Any recommendations of screen guards with anti-blue ray tints? I want to be well prepared before the arrival of my iPhone 13 Promax in next couple of week

Last edited by mobike008 : 15th October 2021 at 01:53.
Old 15th October 2021, 02:19   #14122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

My question- Is this due to iPhone 12 Promax screen? Is there a way to safeguard eyes from the supposedly blue tint danger? Any recommendations of screen guards with anti-blue ray tints? I want to be well prepared before the arrival of my iPhone 13 Promax in next couple of week
Disclaimer: not a medical professional and not qualified to give medical advice.

I've had the issue for several years now. There are days the inside of my eyelids feel like sandpaper on my eyeballs when I wake up. My doc says eye fatigue, pollen/dust filled environments and dehumidified climate controlled settings are the primary causes. I can feel the difference between when I'm in pollen-heavy Bangalore, dust-heavy NCR and middle-of-the-road Bhopal, the latter I feel least discomfort when I'm there.

I use eye drops (primary ingredient Carboxy Methyl Cellulose Sodium 0.5%, goes by several brand names and is sold as 'Artificial Tears').

Effects of blue light aren't conclusively known yet, and we get far more from sun exposure than device screens anyway.

You'd probably be better off moderating long device use stints, rest your eyes periodically by taking breaks and use a warmer screen tone in general (and esp. in lower light settings), instead of spending money on unproven blue light filters.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2021 at 02:29. Reason: Typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 10:50   #14123
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good 3.5mm to Lightning adapter? I had ordered this one from Amazon, but it doesn't seem to work.
https://www.amazon.in/Sounce-Headphone-Adapter-Connector-Supported/dp/B08KD2XVMD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=HJ3AZK0PUT25&dchild=1&keywords=3.5 +mm+to+lightning+connector&qid=1634275050&sprefix= 3.5%2Caps%2C492&sr=8-2
I have placed a return order, but all they offer is replacement with the same product, not a refund.
Old 15th October 2021, 12:49   #14124
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Can anyone suggest a good 3.5mm to Lightning adapter? I had ordered this one from Amazon, but it doesn't seem to work.
https://www.amazon.in/Sounce-Headphone-Adapter-Connector-Supported/dp/B08KD2XVMD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=HJ3AZK0PUT25&dchild=1&keywords=3.5 +mm+to+lightning+connector&qid=1634275050&sprefix= 3.5%2Caps%2C492&sr=8-2
I have placed a return order, but all they offer is replacement with the same product, not a refund.
Why not apple's own product ?

https://www.amazon.in/Apple-Original...TRONIC_ADAPTER
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:49   #14125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good 3.5mm to Lightning adapter?
Given it's Apple, you're best off biting the bullet and getting their original one to avoid any imcompatibility issues.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:51   #14126
BHPian

Quote:
Don't skimp on this. Best to buy apple original. Also i have read that with the 3rd party ones, calling does not work. I recently too got the original after the one which was included in my wife's iPhone X Box went bad.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 14:52   #14127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question- Is this due to iPhone 12 Promax screen? Is there a way to safeguard eyes from the supposedly blue tint danger? Any recommendations of screen guards with anti-blue ray tints? I want to be well prepared before the arrival of my iPhone 13 Promax in next couple of week.
Good to hear you are 80% better. Maybe, just maybe you sensitive to PWM (Pulse Width Management) issues with the 12 Pro Max OLED screen. Check on Apple forums with a search parameter like “PWM issues with 12/13 Pro Max”, this is explained in detail by people suffering from the issue. I have this problem and why I am still stuck with my iPhone 11 which was the last iPhone with an Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) screen. My problem with the 12 and 13 Pro Max is the same, burning eyes which feel dry as well. For me this happens in just 10-15 minutes of using either phone.

There is a screen guard which supposedly cuts the blue tint, check for that and try it out. It didn’t work for me, hope it does for you. Meanwhile you could also reduce the “White Point” setting in Accessibility and see if that helps. This is also explained in detail on the Apple forum for PWM or a Google search will give you detailed information.

Alternatively if you could get your hands on a iPhone 11, use it for a bit and see if the same issue persists. If you don’t face any issue with the LCD screen, then it’s PWM issues for sure with the 12 Pro Max screen.

Hope things work out well for you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 03:45   #14128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I've had the issue for several years now. There are days the inside of my eyelids feel like sandpaper on my eyeballs when I wake up. My doc says eye fatigue, pollen/dust filled environments and dehumidified climate controlled settings are the primary causes. I can feel the difference between when I'm in pollen-heavy Bangalore, dust-heavy NCR and middle-of-the-road Bhopal, the latter I feel least discomfort when I'm there.

I use eye drops (primary ingredient Carboxy Methyl Cellulose Sodium 0.5%, goes by several brand names and is sold as 'Artificial Tears').
Thanks for the feedback. Relieved to know I am not alone in this situation. I feel exactly how you described (Sand in eye). There are normal days and there are days when this feeling gets aggravated.

I have been doing a few things over the year

a) Warm Moists- This is a great reliever
b) Eye Drops- Refresh (Horrfyingly expensive for a small bottle- Costs about $17) and same in India is INR 120/-
c) Finally, take a break from screens as much as possible

I just hope this issue gets resolved and I am back to normal as I used to be a year ago. Or do you think this situation is permanent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Good to hear you are 80% better. Maybe, just maybe you sensitive to PWM (Pulse Width Management) issues with the 12 Pro Max OLED screen. Check on Apple forums with a search parameter like “PWM issues with 12/13 Pro Max”, this is explained in detail by people suffering from the issue. I have this problem and why I am still stuck with my iPhone 11 which was the last iPhone with an Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) screen. My problem with the 12 and 13 Pro Max is the same, burning eyes which feel dry as well. For me this happens in just 10-15 minutes of using either phone.
I read about the PNW issues that you mention all the time on this thread but, never paid attention that this can possible be a cause. Let me also read a bit on apple forums and compare the symptoms.

If this issue was related to OLED screens then it should have started in November 2020 and not in March/April 2020 (Since the time I am facing this issue) as that's when I bought my iPhone 12 Promax. Prior to that used 11 Pro briefly and had an iPhone XSMAX for 1.5 years. But, let be revalidate this point.

Thanks, I feel a lot better now but, last year some nights (after a long day at work) would be crazy with eyes burning and I could not even watch television. But, those days are gone, thankfully for the better
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 10:33   #14129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... do you think this situation is permanent?
That is tricky to answer.

Personal experience, it's not something I can turn on & off, it's something I need to manage. It's dependent on location and activity too. E.g. when I'm on vacation visiting Bhopal, I can often go a week without needing eyedrops. Working @ Bangalore, at least twice daily.

There's not much one can do about the pollen/dusty environment in general, but eye fatigue is something we do control.

Take breaks from screens (look up the 20-20-20 rule), warm compresses followed by massaging your eyelids (this helps both with blood circulation and natural lubrication) and the simplest of all, blink often (we forget to do that engrossed in our screens).

Check your sensitivity to Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) too, though its effects show pretty quickly (like BHPian Cyborg's case) and you seem to have used OLED screens for a while now.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:21   #14130
Team-BHP Support

My father had itching sensation because of eyes being dry (senior citizen) and the ophthalmologist suggested few eye exercises and they turned out to be beneficial. I will suggest a visit to an ophthalmologist to rule out any referral issue as well as to understand the issue better and get to its root.

This video can help too.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th October 2021 at 18:47.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks