Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2017, 15:52   #1126
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Anyway, I am willing to evaluate other brands too. Since you're from Pune can you tell me who the Kevin dealer is?
It was R.P. Electronics, located on 1st or 2nd floor of a building, on left side of Magarpatta road, just before the first entrance in to Magarpatta city, if you are coming from Hadapsar towards Magarpatta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
So are you saying you run your refrigerator and microwave with 800VA Inverter?
No mate.
I meant you realize that there is no electricity ONLY when the fridge, microwave have no lights in. The switch over is flawless, I never required any UPS for electronics or stabilizer for any appliance and
It even manages unexpected power surge.
Old 28th November 2017, 17:32   #1127
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jr Godzilla, thanks. I've got a rough idea where these people are. I'll call them one of these days for details and pricing.
Old 28th November 2017, 22:30   #1128
BHPian

It would have been beneficial, If there was a inverter which would live display the current draw by the battery OR is there one?

Even am experiencing unusually high power bills, even when am alone for these past few months. Now with this discussion going on the thread suspicion is veering towards the aging batteries.
Old 29th November 2017, 09:55   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
It would have been beneficial, If there was a inverter which would live display the current draw by the battery OR is there one?

Even am experiencing unusually high power bills, even when am alone for these past few months. Now with this discussion going on the thread suspicion is veering towards the aging batteries.
I don't know about the new UPS. But my old UPS has a Battery voltage meter (d'arsonval movement meter) and a battery current meter. They conked off within a few years. I replaced only the Voltage meter as these meters are difficult to source.
These days I would expect LED meters to show at least the battery voltage. The home inverter SUkam Shiny that I have doesn't show much except that it is charging in its LCD display.
Old 6th December 2017, 21:26   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Haven't seen one which shows current drawn by battery.

Kevin inverter displays

Current voltage "220 or 230 or 250Volts"
At 170 or 160v it auto connects to battery power cutting of mains and likewise the change if above 170 switch to mains. Can be seen in display.

"Inverter or mains" (as per power change)

With existing load what is percentage of usage of battery power eg "30% Battery" displayed (from available 100%)
Whether battery is being charged
"Battery charging"

Replace battery
Battery not charging

That came only after 4+ yrs time to change battery
Old 6th December 2017, 22:08   #1131
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, here's an update to my power hogging inverter saga.

I wasn't very keen to replace the inverter just yet as I thought of buying only an APC 2 KVA or higher UPS (external battery model) whenever budget permits. Those things are way more expensive than this made-in-a-garage Su-kam. The average manufacturing and assembly finesse is what jumps out at me when I compare them with APC products, even those lower rung APCs that I paid about Rs 10K for (including internal VRLA batteries) many years ago.

So the board was replaced and it seems to be behaving better now. The inverter is drawing 0.3-0.5A when float charging. Still questionable for a 0.3A DC float charge but not freakishly power hungry like before.

The cooling fan is making a bearing noise which makes me feel on and off fan failure may have caused the circuits to heat up and affected component longevity during the summer when we had power failures. The tech didn't have a spare fan and suggested getting it replaced after placing another service call. A whack generally sets the fan humming along.

I asked the technician what could have gone wrong with the board said he offered a lame explanation 'Saar, purana hai. Kuch bhi ho sakta hai'. The original board was taken away. He said the transformer is still under a 7 year warranty and should last far longer.
Old 6th December 2017, 22:13   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, here's an update to my power hogging inverter saga.
When my inverter started with the power hogging mode, I simply disconnected it. It will be live only one day per week or so, just to keep the battery from draining out. It is a Mahindra Powerol inverter.

As the power availability in my place is almost touching 100%, inverter will soon be a useless entity.
Old 7th December 2017, 16:35   #1133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
When my inverter started with the power hogging mode, I simply disconnected it. It will be live only one day per week or so, just to keep the battery from draining out. It is a Mahindra Powerol inverter.
I'm thinking of following the same principle. Charge for 2 days (200 AH batteries that'll need more time to charge up), break for 7 to 10 days. The batteries will slowly self discharge to around 85-90%. I'll have to monitor the SOC & set the routine. No point keeping that damned inverter running.

A new problem surfaced & the new board seems faulty. Output voltage stated sagging to 190-200V with an approx. 300 W load. I've called the Su-kam tech again. These darned things just can't seem to get it right.

Quote:
As the power availability in my place is almost touching 100%, inverter will soon be a useless entity.
Power supply is pretty constant except for the standard "maintenance" day on Thursdays practised by the SEB for the past 4+ decades. The power goes off for about 1 hour & sometimes not at all.

This plus the fact the housing colony is installing a new generator so my inverter should be made that much redundant.
Old 21st December 2017, 18:45   #1134
BHPian

Hi All,
With high pollution levels in Delhi/NCR court has ordered to stop using generators while power cut in apartments to curb pollution to some extent. We recently got notice from our apartment office stating that now the generators will be used to power restricted areas like lift, lift lobby, parking area, park and other open areas. Apartment flats will not get electricity while power cuts and hence should plan for individual Inverter/batteries.

I would be glad if someone can provide pointers near Delhi/Dwarka region and approximate cost of a good setup. It is been a long time we used inverter hence not sure how much wattage and power is needed so need some sincere advice from a good dealer.
Old 25th December 2017, 20:09   #1135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A new problem surfaced & the new board seems faulty. Output voltage stated sagging to 190-200V with an approx. 300 W load. I've called the Su-kam tech again.
Right, so the board was removed for diagnosis and the fault was traced to an output 1 uF cap. When asked for the reason for the failure the tech shrugged and said "Electronic item saar! Kuch bhi guarantee nahi hai"

The 80 mm cooling fan (Adda, a good TW make and one I considered many years ago for PC chassis/case cooling) was running noisy due to leakage of lubricant since some months. Replaced by a Sunon fan, another mid rung make.

Damage - Rs. 250 fan + Rs 100 cap + Rs 100 fitting/labour = Rs 450

Charge voltage - 27.32 V which is good. Both batteries showed 13.66V when check individually.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th December 2017 at 20:10.
Old 25th December 2017, 20:17   #1136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is that fan 24v or 12v fan. Need to replace a fan in apc, its noisy when running on battery or charging after power cut. Is Sunon fan silent when running at higher rpm.
Old 25th December 2017, 20:36   #1137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Is that fan 24v or 12v fan. Need to replace a fan in apc, its noisy when running on battery or charging after power cut. Is Sunon fan silent when running at higher rpm.
It's a 24 VDC 80 mm fan & a sleeve bearing model from the looks of it.

BTW APC uses Hicool make 92mm fans, at least in my Smart UPSes. They are ball bearing types and last a really long time. No fan replacements required yet on my nearly 7 year old and 5 year old UPSes. Fans are running 24x7x365!

You'll need to open and check your APC model to be sure of the size.

The Back-UPS 1500 VA model uses an Adda or Sunon 80mm part IIRC.

Hicool is based out of Navi Mumbai. Hicool DC fans
Old 26th December 2017, 02:45   #1138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There is nothing wrong with my fan mechanically and as per apc it is normal sound, also since I have two identical Smart Ups models and they both have loud fans since new. Apc worldover have the same noise complain.

If they are hicool fans then its 40db according to their specs on website, which is rather loud. Since the ups are older then 5 years, well past the extended AMC. I finaly will be able to break that warranty avoid sticker and replace the fan with something quieter.

Last edited by aim120 : 26th December 2017 at 02:47.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:53   #1139
Distinguished - BHPian

These Hicool/APC fans are noisy when running at high speed as most fans would be. High speeds kick in when the UPS is supplying power, when charging batteries that are <80-85% charged or if the internal temperature is >35 C.

Yes, fan noise is a common customer complaint at APC Forums where I participated because the fans are on 24x7. But then these models are not exactly designed for settings where absolute silence is a must. They are industrial grade UPSes meant for server or power rooms.

At low speeds, which is the norm, the fans give off a low frequency hum. Some may find that a bit irritating but I've got used to it. Both Smart UPSes are in bedrooms where the PCs and home theater components are installed. OTOH, the Back-UPS BR-1500IN switches on the fan only when on battery power which would have been ideal if it had been a pure sine wave model.

Regarding the Sunon vs Adda fan in the Sukam inverter, the Sunon is quieter because it is new and I don't think there's much of a difference. I doesn't really matter much to me as the inverter is in a separate room.

Do let me know if you find quieter fans with the same or better CFM output. I may be interested in doing a swap. I've left these fans well enough alone all these years and maybe its time to look for better ones.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:30   #1140
BHPian

Difference between tall tubular and normal height tubular battery

Hi,

I want to replace my old tubular batteries with new one. After market survey and batterybhai I have a zeroed in on luminous tubular battery. Now these come in 2 flavour with very little price difference.

LUMINOUS RED CHARGE 18000TT: Costs 10500 with exchange for 150Ah capacity, It is a Tall Tubular Battery, so I have to buy new inverter trolley also as existing one will only accept normal battery. It has 36 month warranty (18+18)

LUMINOUS ILST1842: Costs 10200 with exchange for 150Ah capacity. It is also tubular but with normal height. Comes with 42 Months warranty (24+18).

Both of have similar specs mentioned like HADI casting and 1250 rated discharge cycles.

Is there any significant advantage of going for tall tubular battery over normal height tubular one ?
Normal one has extra warranty, is cheaper and will save me only trolley cost also (1~2k)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks