Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:36   #886
Senior - BHPian

icemanz,

Can you get the compressor make and rating in btu/hr from the nameplate on the Onida m/c.

Also talk to your previous dealer to help get you a logicool machine from Hitachi. It will be cheaper than the one carrying the Hitachi brand but basically the same machine on the inside. See kjmdas's post above and contact him in case your dealer is not helpful, he will put you in touch with the Hitachi sales Manager for your area.

Having used Hitachi it is better to stay in the same league or move above.
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:43   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Measure the length, width and height of the room in feet, multiply them to get the cubic feet of the room (or measure in metres and convert to Cubic feet: 1 cubic metre = 35.3146667 cubic feet).

Multiply the cu. feet with a factor of 10, this gives the BTU/hr cooling required for the room. To convert this BTU/hr to tons, divide this figure by 1200 (approximate to the nearest lower standard capacity of AC unit avialable).

Ton = LxWxH(cu.ft) x 10 / 1200.
Actually 1 Ton = 12,000 BTu/hr. Hence the BTu/hr has to be divided by 12000, not 1200. Sorry, my mistake, I missed one zero.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:41   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi kjmdas,
I have a decade old Amtrex window unit. While most of the components are in good condition the 2 ton Tecumseh reciprocating compressor has leaked due to a hole in its side wall. I was wondering if I could retrofit a 1.5 ton compressor and use the other components as they are. The gas/liquid pipes and the capillary etc. would be reduced/retrofitted to match the new compressor's ports.
Do let me know if this would be technically feasible. If yes then please recommend a good compressor in terms of type reci/rotary and make. Thank You.
It is possible to retrofit with a new compressor, preferably rotary (considering the power savings, availability and noise levels). You can get a Hitachi rotary compressor from M/s.Totaline, which is the spares division of Carrier.(They might route your requirement through their authorised dealer) The position of the compressor legs is one thing you will have to consider, since there could be a mismatch.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:23   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

For information: Hitachi Logicool Site
Old 4th April 2010, 13:48   #890
BHPian

Quote:
icemanz,

Can you get the compressor make and rating in btu/hr from the nameplate on the Onida m/c.

Also talk to your previous dealer to help get you a logicool machine from Hitachi. It will be cheaper than the one carrying the Hitachi brand but basically the same machine on the inside. See kjmdas's post above and contact him in case your dealer is not helpful, he will put you in touch with the Hitachi sales Manager for your area.

Having used Hitachi it is better to stay in the same league or move above.
Thanks Khoj. I did contact the Hitachi Sales office in Cochin and enquired regarding the 1T Logicool. The Sales guy showed no interest and told me upfront that this brand is meant for corporates and banks. Then asked how many pieces I need and what capacity. Upon hearing 1 piece and 1 T, he refused and said Logicool is available in 2T and above only. I was also informed that the CU pipes, inslutating material and labour charges will be extra since this is a low cost model company does not provide them along with the AC.

I will contact kjmdas and check if he can help.

Last edited by icemanz : 4th April 2010 at 13:53. Reason: Adding additional comments
Old 4th April 2010, 15:03   #891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... said Logicool is available in 2T and above only.
Absolutely wrong, according to the Logicool site itself!

There are all kinds of bad, unethical, wrong, lying and otherwise nasty techniques used by salesmen to get a sale --- but the behaviour that I absolutely cannot even begin to comprehend is, "Go away, I'm not interested in your custom".
Old 4th April 2010, 15:12   #892
Senior - BHPian

icemanz,

As Thad says it is a pathetic response and though I feel bad since I recommended this brand to you, we cannot allow one sales guy's stupidity hold us back.

Check the logicool site via link given by Thad and you can see that logicool is available from 1.2 Ton onwards. If the price point is right you may be better off with the 1.2 than the 1 ton Onida in your west facing room. Regarding the installation kit if I recall you have some stuff left over from the last install and in any case install labour is to be paid for with all air cons.

I cannot recall but did I also recommend the Samsung S series to you. That should be a good machine too and available in 1 Ton.

@kjmdas

Thank you for your response. I request you to pm the contact details of Totaline as I have been unable to locate them on the web.

Last edited by khoj : 4th April 2010 at 15:15.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:18   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
I was also informed that the CU pipes, inslutating material and labour charges will be extra since this is a low cost model company does not provide them along with the AC.
How much were you quoted for the CU pipes and installation? I got a quote of INR 500/mt for the pipe, INR 800/- for electric cable, insulation etc and INR 2000/- for labour. So, if I get 4 mts of CU pipe, total cost comes to INR 4800/- over and above the a/c cost - which I find quite high. Is this reasonable guys? Especially considering that LG provides CU pipe free of cost and has a free installation scheme going on at present.
Old 5th April 2010, 19:28   #894
BHPian

Guys, any opinion on Carrier ACs?

Considering a 1.5 tonne Durakool AC for home
Old 6th April 2010, 14:09   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
OT: Looks like a very nicely built and decorated room
Quote:
more OT

I agree and the colour of the air con front panel complements the wooden door and window frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Indeed, it rocks! In a room so rich with POP!
Thanks for your appreciation guys. It was all conceptualized by me. I just could not resist posting a few pictures ( again crappy phone quality) of my living room for your viewing pleasure and as you can see it needed a designer looking Split AC

Mods, excuse for going OT, if its felt inappropriate, this post can be deleted.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-lighted-view.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-lr-sofa.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-white-sofa.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-false-ceiling.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-living-room-wb.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-bluetexturedwall.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-glass-door.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th April 2010 at 14:11.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:53   #896
BHPian

gurus
i am planning to get 2 a/c ,an window and split a/c.
went through 75% of the thread but couldnt find any mention about bluestar.is it a good brand.
pricewice it is similar to hitachi,but the reviews about hitachi scares me.
my room size is 250 and 300 sq feet.will a 2ton in each room suffice.
ready to spend money on o-gen, but there is no service back up in my place.
please help me in taking a decision.

mobike008- stunning pictures.
is it texture painting in your wall.

Last edited by drbabuanand : 6th April 2010 at 14:54.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:31   #897

Had written to the Hitachi guys via their website. I got a call back from the local RM today. I checked regarding 1.5 tonne prices only, here they are:

Window:
Model: Hitachi Logicool LRAV018GQD
Cooling Capacity: 4981 W
Power Consumption: 1725 W
EER: 2.89
Star Rating: 3 star

Notes: No remote, Logicool is the "no frills" range.

Price (Delhi, inclusive of taxes): 20750 + 500 installation

More info: Logicool Twin Flow Window Air Conditioners : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Split:
Model: Hitachi Logicool LRAU018KPD
Cooling Capacity: 5200 W
Power Consumption: 1800 W
EER: 2.89
Star Rating: 3 star

Price (Delhi, inclusive of taxes): 26750 + 1500 installation + 450/m piping (no piping included in the installation charges)

More info: Logicool Split Air Conditioners : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Both look excellent VFM at the prices. Comments?

I am tempted to go with the Window because of the simpler installation and cause there's already provision for the same in my room. Of course, both are same EER, so it's not like that is a factor. Think I can live without the remote as my current ACs don't have it either :-)
Old 6th April 2010, 22:53   #898
Senior - BHPian

Afaik splits have no advantage over window ACs.

Go in for the Window and spend the 6k on your car.
Old 7th April 2010, 00:49   #899
Senior - BHPian

@mobike008
That is a great room especially the blue on the walls. I like the painted alcoves in the wall next to the glass door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hello to all the good folk here at Team-BHP

I'm interested in purchasing an AC in Chennai at the moment. I need your help in deciding what kind of an AC to purchase. Room Specifications [/b]- 20 feet(L) by 15 feet(W) by 9 feet(H)(approximately)

Daily Usage - 5-6 hours weekdays, more on weekends.

Location of house - My House is on the top floor of the apartment, but there are other apartments surrounding it. As a result, it doesn't heat up too much during the morning till about 12. After that it gets a bit toasty. Still, it's a relatively cool house.

Type of AC I want to purchase
- It may be a Window AC or a split AC. There is a provision to attach a window AC in one of the windows. I'm okay with any type, as long as the cooling is effective. I know there are not too many split AC's in my price range, but like I said. I'm okay with a Windows AC too.
From the given information you should be looking at a 2.5 Ton ac. The roof is a major heat bank given that you are on the top floor. A split will be better due to its better air distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Guys, any opinion on Carrier ACs?

Considering a 1.5 tonne Durakool AC for home
Avoid Carrier Window air con.

Splits Carrier is better than LG, Voltas, Haeir, Blue Star and Onida in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
gurus
i am planning to get 2 a/c ,an window and split a/c.
went through 75% of the thread but couldnt find any mention about bluestar.is it a good brand.
See above where Blue Star ranks unless it is a corporate purchase.
Quote:
pricewice it is similar to hitachi,but the reviews about hitachi scares me.
Do not believe everything that is out on the web. There will always be bad experiences. Happens with all of us. I had a horrid time with my Hitachi dealer but use it and recommend it. Same with Carrier I shunned it for years last weekend went and took a look at their new range and some of splits are pretty good. So they are back up in my rankings as can be seen above.

Quote:
my room size is 250 and 300 sq feet.will a 2ton in each room suffice.
ready to spend money on o-gen, but there is no service back up in my place.
please help me in taking a decision.
mobike008- stunning pictures.
is it texture painting in your wall.
From the basic calculation per formula on top of this page you will require a 2.0 ton for the 250 sq/feet room and a 2.5 ton for the 300 square feet room.

From your post above you are willing to consider Ogeneral etc. so I presume budget is not a constraint. if that is correct then you should take a serious look at the VRF systems offered by Ogeneral, Hitachi, Panasonic, Mitsubishi electric or the VRV by Daikin. I found this Daikin dealer for you in Trichy, consult them they will be able to give you proper advice. Does not matter whether you actually buy from them or not. My interactions with Daikin's dealers academic or otherwise have been good experiences.

Dealership Name AR Air Cool
Address1 12 B, Convent Road , H. C Complex
Address 2 B - Block , Shop No. 5 , Ist Floor ,Melapudur
City Trichy
PIN 620001
Telephone 0431-241557 , 2415667
Fax 0431-2415667
Mobile 9443367667/9443346746/9994967667
Owner 1 Mr.R Joseph Prasanna
Owner 2 Mr.Vijay/ Mr. Rozario

Apart from the above

I spoke to the sales guy at the Panasonic Brand shop and got some prices.

The 5 star rated 1 ton split 12000BTU comp. is for 29,900 consumes 1080 W.
The 4 star rated 1 ton split 11700BTU comp. is for 26,900 consumes 1160 W.
The 2 star rated 1 ton split 11500BTU comp. is for 21,900 consumes 1250 W.

Now assuming that the air con will be used for 15 hours a day x 7 days x 4 weeks and we are using the 2 star rated air con consuming an extra 70 watts so we consume an extra 30 units over what we would with the 5 star air con. Assuming per unit cost to be Rs. 5/- that comes out to an extra spend of INR 150 per month or say INR 900 over a summer season of 6 months. Do carry out your own calculations but in view of the above is it worth paying the premium for the 5 stars.

Last edited by khoj : 7th April 2010 at 00:54.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:03   #900
BHPian

khoj
thanks for the advice.
i will contact the daikin dealer today.
what do you think about 2 ton hitachi "follow me" and 2 ton hitachi "kaze".
the former is 46000 while the later is 38000.
is there any differance in their cooling capacity?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks