Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 16:25   #1546
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
You would need a 1.2-1.5 tonne.

You cannot get an inverter in this range (Do check if Carrier inverter are in your range. I have heard they have just launched.)

Again R410 not in your range either.

In your budget look at Carrier, Voltas, Onida and Videocon 1.5 tonne units. I was recently offered a Videocon 1.5 5star unit for 28K including installation.

These are not the best but the reputed ones like Daikin, Toshiba, MHI and ME 1 tonne itself are close to 30K.

Hitachi Logicool 1.2 (corporate range) is around 25K. See if you can get one.
Hitachi also has 5 star window ac's also for 30K such as SummerQC
Okay great I will check that out this weekend. However I am not so inclined towards Onida and Videocon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@tush,

Try and get Whirlpool. Not only will you get one in your price range but the heart of the matter i.e the compressor is invariably from Sanyo or Panasonic.

Very interesting to note the roof height of your room, you must be able to change bulbs etc simply while standing on the floor BTW standard doors frames are at least 7' in height.
I will check the whirpool recommendation. Its an American company as far as I know about whirlpool. They have good Referigerators too is what I have heard before.

Wouldnt Panasonic AC be a best bet in that case. I read somewhere in the thread that they are being imported from Thailand.

Ahh thanks for bringing that up, I checked the height again. Its 105 inches which comes to around 8.74feet for the room. Door height is coming to around 6.58feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In Delhi, LG are selling at a quite reasonable price and their service is quite good. This one is a 5 star rating but slightly costly LG LWA5AR5A Window AC - 4 Star Rating, Auto Restart, Gold Fin Condenser, Anti Bacteria Filter, Energy Saver. - LG Electronics IN. Do go through the list to find one best suited to your requirements.

Normal floor to floor height is 10 feet. Taking out the floor and roof slabs you should have at least 9 feet internal height. As noted the standard doors are 6.5 - 7 feet and there is normally 2 feet+ wall left.
Should I be looking at LG for AC? Not sure about how they fair when it comes to AC quality and reliability. The one you showed is a Window. I think i forgot to mention I am looking for Split AC.

Thanks guys for helping me. It makes so much more easy to decide with your inputs
Old 18th March 2011, 16:31   #1547
Senior - BHPian

My uncle has installed a 2.0 Ton LG split unit in his living room and very often Squirrels build a nest inside it. It is a frequent ritual to get a technician to open the unit and remove the nest/little ones, as it is installed on a sunshade above the window of his first floor apartment. None of the other brand split units in our apartment complex face this problem.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:03   #1548
t18
BHPian

Friends, I recently spoke to an AC mechanic about the star rating. His take was that, investing more on high star rating is of no use to people who will use their AC's only at night for few hours and that too only for the summer months.

According to him 5 star rated AC is useful to save money on electric bills, when the AC is going to work all year round.
How true is this assumption?
Old 18th March 2011, 19:11   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
Friends, I recently spoke to an AC mechanic about the star rating. His take was that, investing more on high star rating is of no use to people who will use their AC's only at night for few hours and that too only for the summer months.

According to him 5 star rated AC is useful to save money on electric bills, when the AC is going to work all year round.
I'd say that is true, to some extent. Companies charge a premium for higher star rated models, but savings would be significant only if the AC runs for a significant amount of time. Or you might not even be able to recover the extra you paid during the lifetime of your AC. Here in North India, summers are long, and AC easily runs for 6-7 months. I'm unaware of the weather in south, but if you're using your AC for something like two months, it's not worth paying a significant extra for more stars.

Last edited by anku94 : 18th March 2011 at 19:14.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:28   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Whirlpool India > Air Conditioners, Split AC, Window AC, Aircon

Kindly suggest if this is a good buy.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:03   #1551
BHPian

Hi guys, I am in search of a 2 Ton ac For my living room, it will be used in kerala(or goa) Considering the size i found only a two ton would cool efficiently in the living room! Star rating 3 is fine by me as , the ac is not gonna be used heavily.

But the market options are really confusing there are hundreds on offer on similar price ranges
My budget is limited to 40k!
First i thought of buying a multi-split,(for living and dining) then reading more on it , i found there are a lot of issues with them, so dropped the idea!

Also i heard that Samsung AC's give a lot of trouble ? is it true?
currently, i liked the Voltas Premium G, how is it?

TIA
Aravind
Old 19th March 2011, 12:53   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Been using the Whirpool 1.5 ton, platinum A/C since the summer of 2008. Main advantage over Samsung/LG etc would be the blower. Blows more air than any of the mentioned ones including Carrier (the brand which was my previous A/C). It is almost like a air cooler and ensures that the room cools quickly.

'Quick cool' option is very useful if you want to cool the room in minutes ( runs at highest fan speed and lowest temperature till that temp is reached) and then automatically comes back to the last set temp.

6th sense will adjust fan speed by itself. It will run at fan speed 2/3 while at the start and automatically reduce to the lowest setting once the set temp is reached. Again when cooling is needed, it adjusts the fan speed accordingly. Really works, no gimmicks here!

Just had to do regular cleaning myself and would call S/C people to do a check from their side every six months. They respond quickly and attend to our calls promptly. Also their AMC's are good too.

Only con is that they don't have fancy filters. But I see they have addressed that by giving a bacteria filter which should be useful.

Hope it helps.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:54   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
I will check the whirpool recommendation. Its an American company as far as I know about whirlpool. They have good Referigerators too is what I have heard before.

Wouldnt Panasonic AC be a best bet in that case. I read somewhere in the thread that they are being imported from Thailand.
Whirlpool is an American company for sure. The machines that they sell in India however are made in your neighbourhood itself i.e. Ranjangaon. This gives them a huge price advantage over Panasonic who are importing the ODU kits and completely buillt IDUs and also charge a higher premium for their brand. After all a Katrina does cost more than a Kajol.

Just like their brand ambassadors the only visible difference in the products may be in the fit and finish of the indoor units front panel, that too if you look very very closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
That is a practical and correct observation and not an assumption at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Top notch build quality, excellent components, established sales and service network, competitive pricing all in all a very good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
Hi guys, I am in search of a 2 Ton ac For my living room, it will be used in kerala(or goa) Considering the size i found only a two ton would cool efficiently in the living room! Star rating 3 is fine by me as , the ac is not gonna be used heavily.

But the market options are really confusing there are hundreds on offer on similar price ranges

TIA
Aravind
The budget of 40 K for 2 tons points towards the Whirlpool Chrome with an MRP of 36500/- Rated at 4 stars it fits perfectly in to your budget. Infact you could have it installed complete with a voltage stabilizer within 40K with a bit of negotiation. The Chrome is Whirlpools top of the line air conditioning product range.
Whirlpool India > Air Conditioners, Split AC, Window AC, Aircon
Please let go of the Voltas, Onidas, LGs, BlueStars, Carriers etc etc. Their air conditioners are like lottery tickets. Some you win mostly you lose. They have enough corporate customers so let them be. For residential use stick with the ones that are known to give you the right bang for your buck.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:01   #1554
BHPian

hey guys i am looking at buying an ac for my 2 bedrooms. it wil primarily be used in the nights for about 5-6 hrs for about 4-5months in a year. can i buy a split with higher tonnage and split the same between the 2 bedrooms with separate blower units. how much tonnage should i look at? what amount will i need to shell out for such a setup? my room sizes are 120sq ft each with ceiling height of 8.5 ft. pls help.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:31   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

First i thought of buying a multi-split,(for living and dining) then reading more on it , i found there are a lot of issues with them, so dropped the idea!

TIA
Aravind
How big is the room? A 2 ton would be sufficient in a 150-200 sqf. room with max of 6 persons. There after more tonnage is required at approximately 4-6 persons/ton. Consider a 3 ton unit (3-phase if you have the supply, for lower running costs). I have this in mind for future (4 ton) LG TP-C488TLC1 Floor Standing AC - Plasma purifier, Anti corrosion Gold Fin, Auto swing, Zero Standby power, Self diagnosis function , Timer function - LG Electronics IN or (3 ton) LP-K3685QC Floor Standing AC Air Conditioning

If your total usage is going to be 200 days at 6 hours/day you will be running the AC for 1200 hours, and assuming 3kw you will consume 3600 units.

The difference in consumption, between 2 star and 5 star would not be more than 20 %, so you save about 700 units which translates to 5000 units over seven years, or 20-35k. An inverter unit will save more.

Thus in my opinion if your usage is as stated above, you will gain with 5 star definitely in long term (and more so if electricity prices go up).
Old 19th March 2011, 13:53   #1556
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

TIA
Aravind
Why not look at Daikin, I think they are just a shade under 40k. And it is sure to be a level above Voltas etc. Enough has been said about Daikin on this thread.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:54   #1557
Senior - BHPian

I apply formula one car wax (genuine) on my outdoor units and they are as good as new. The outdoor units are exposed to sunlight for long time and i guess applying wax to outdoor unit has prevented it from fading or rusting due to rains.

I would like fellow members to try this, this surely will keep outdoor units new to good extent.
Old 19th March 2011, 14:48   #1558
Senior - BHPian

@khoj and Schumifan-
Thanks for the inputs.
Will post my observations as i get it next week.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:31   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
General, Whirlpool, Hitachi Quadracool TM, In order of performance.
Khoj, I booked the O General AMG13G 1.14 T window AC. At BTU/hr rate of 13690, I hope it will be sufficient for my 130 sq.ft room for a few hours in the afternoon and at night. A couple of things I still do not know are:
  • Is it using R22 or R410A?
  • What is its star rating? This is not mentioned in the brochure or at their site.
Paid 23k for it. I hope that is an OK price. And now I need to pay for the installation. I hope it will not be too much.

Again, thanks for helping me out.

-Biju
Old 19th March 2011, 23:30   #1560
BHPian

Folks - Need your expert advice here..

I am planning to get an A/C for my house in my native place, which i would visit once in a month. So, ideally the A/C will be used 3 or 4 days. I don't want to spend a lot (can we get an A/C < 20k) as i wont be staying there all the time. I am open to any type of A/c - Window or Split.

1. Room Size should be 10x13. 9.5ft height.
2. Room has two windows and out of two, one window is facing west.

Please recommend me a good A/C

-Bala

Most Viewed