Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 15:42   #7516
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Looking for a long time for a phone which is:
1. Looks like a phone.
2. Qwerty+Touchscreen(preferably a flipout since I want larger screen)
3. Atleast 3G
4. GPS
5. FM radio
6. Camera. Not too much inclined on the image quality. Front facing camera can be given a miss.
7. Open source. I am really very much interested in Android.

Any suggestions?
Right now Dell streak looks to be good but with no FM. But still 30k is way to high a price for that.

All in all I want a pocket-able PC replacement. With GPS and phone functionality.

Any suggestions?

OT: Any movie player I can install on E63 for time being? The default one refuses to play different movie formats. The Dvix player gets expired after every few months.
The HTC desire Z ticks all your boxes,it is now available for pre-order at flipkart
Old 30th December 2010, 16:51   #7517
Senior - BHPian

^ How much is it for?

Are HTC phones reliable? (I have no idea, so please take no offense to this )
Old 30th December 2010, 16:57   #7518
BANNED

Pics from X2

Few days back, we had discussed the camera of Nokia X2. The holiday on 24th afforded an opportunity for a family outing, and the sunset made me remember the posts here.

I am uploading some pics from late evening at Marine Drive walkway, Ernakulam. I had to resize the pics from 2592x1944 to 2463x1847 since a single file could be only 1M. Of the pics below, only 4 files where above the limit. But, I used the command line :-D

Sunset is another 10 minues away, and it is very foggy / misty.

It is a cloudy, misty evening.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0014.jpg.jpeg

Clouds and fog / mist / whatever. Can you make out those cranes in the distance? We are going to demo the zoom effects.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0019.jpg.jpeg

Full zoom. Yuck!! That boat hides my frame!!! But I cannot hold the cam still till the boat passes; so let us see how the pic comes out.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0020.jpg.jpeg

Feeling bold to point the cam @ the sun. Waiting for that boat to pass.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0021.jpg.jpeg

Those cranes. No zoom.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0022.jpg.jpeg

The glorious Kochi sunset. On a clear day, you ought to be able to make out Fort Kochi on the left, and Vypeen on right.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0023.jpg.jpeg

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0024.jpg.jpeg

I would have posted the images on 24th Dec itself; but my browser's javascript was acting up.

Edit:- Not sure how Carl Zeiss optics would make a difference, but the DSLR photography thread says the difference lies in the sensor size.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th December 2010 at 16:59.
Old 30th December 2010, 18:01   #7519
BHPian

Those pictures are really nice apart from 3 one which was zoomed. My former Cell N 73 had Carl zeiss but even in it after zooming and clicking snaps it use to be blurred. The rest of them are good for a mobile camera. Surely the location has added the charm to the pictures
Old 30th December 2010, 18:32   #7520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^ How much is it for?

Are HTC phones reliable? (I have no idea, so please take no offense to this )
I've owned three HTC phones,never had an issue till date

And even though the brand is relatively unknown in india it is one of the top smartphone manufacturers overseas
Old 30th December 2010, 18:49   #7521
Senior - BHPian

^
Thanks for that! I checked it out and at 25k, it is way beyond my budget.

What do you guys feel about the Samsung Galaxy 551 (5510) and the Nokia E5? Especially, from the OS pov.
I am basically looking for a Qwerty phone with3G and GPS, for around 10k - 13k. The camera isn't all that important. And I don't know for sure, but is the front facing camera necessary for video calling? By when will we have this service in India?
Old 30th December 2010, 19:10   #7522
Senior - BHPian

Re: Just Bought - Blackberry 9780 (Bold 3) - Possible Issue with OS 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

Just upgraded from the Blackberry 8900 (Javelin) to the Blackberry 9780 (Bold 3) and I am very happy with the decision. Was first looking at the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4, but heard the iPhone 4 had network issues.

My obvious choice then was the Blackberry 9700 (Bold 2) until the Blackberry 9800 (Torch) was launched with OS 6. However, I waited for a bit to see the response of the Torch and it was not good. Many of my friends who jumped from the Bold 2 to the Torch were regretting it and were longing to back to the Bold 2. Their reasons were - bulky size, difficulty in typing due to the slider, the slider itself having a bit of play after use, didn't like a business phone with a touchscreen, etc. Was again on the verge of purchasing the Bold 2 until again I was told to wait as Blackberry was to launch another model soon as the Torch was not doing well. So waited a month or so and took the plunge with the Bold 3.

Its as good a looker as the Bold 2 except no chrome panel which is sort of good in a way as it tends to peel off. Love the OS 6. The processor is pretty fast too. Totally recommended!
Hi guys,

After using the Blackberry 9780 (Bold 3) for almost a month now I am convinced that there is a possible issue with OS 6. The issue noticed is with the SMS function which is similar to the BB Messenger layout and does not go to 'Reply' mode when 'R' is pressed which is the case with BB Messenger. Another problem seems to be that only half of a large SMS comes in and probably takes 5 minutes for the other half to come in (I believe this is common in all BlackBerries). However, in the OS 6 phones, after the entire SMS comes in, one can't seem to scroll through the message.

Anyone using the BlackBerry Torch or BlackBerry 9780 or OS 6 kindly confirm this or share a solution if possible.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:31   #7523
BHPian

Guys, can anyone tell me how to attach pics here. i am trying to attach some sample pics taken with my mobile but page is failing at the time of loading the pics. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zoom2_ash : 30th December 2010 at 19:33.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:49   #7524
Senior - BHPian

Hi Please Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:51   #7525
BANNED

zoom - each file has to smaller than 1MB.
Old 31st December 2010, 08:49   #7526
BHPian

Quote:
^
What do you guys feel about the Samsung Galaxy 551 (5510) and the Nokia E5? Especially, from the OS pov.
I am basically looking for a Qwerty phone with3G and GPS, for around 10k - 13k. The camera isn't all that important. And I don't know for sure, but is the front facing camera necessary for video calling? By when will we have this service in India?
Galaxy 551 is a very new release and a very good option for qwerty lovers. It has Android 2.2 with wifi, gps and divx/xvid playback capability.
Nokia E5 seems outdated spec wise.
Yes the front facing camera is needed for video calling. The service is already started by BSNL, Docomo, Aircel etc. Airtel will be starting it anytime soon.

Last edited by arunkk : 31st December 2010 at 08:50.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:58   #7527
BANNED

For guys looking at front facing camera.

Please note that not all 3G phones are full 3G compliant. Most ones say "Data only". Front camera is relevant only "full 3G compliance.

I have deduced the above from the recent research; I have no use for 3G right now. though I would like to know couple of things:-

1. Saw somewhere that battery life (both standby and talktime) is more with 3G. How and why?

2. What else does 3 G offer? (apart from data and video conferencing).
Old 31st December 2010, 12:39   #7528
Distinguished - BHPian

Better sound during conversations, they say. My phone says "3G" in UK and Singapore. Can't say that I notice the difference.
Old 1st January 2011, 15:15   #7529
BHPian

Thanks for helping me with the attachments!!
Attached are some sample pics taken with my mobile. I have attached sample pics clicked using various available modes e.g. landscape, panaroma, indoor, sunset, fireworks etc and under different conditions like indoor, outdoor, night, evening etc. So, it can give you all a fair idea on how is the overall quality of the mobile camera under most conditions:

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0081.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0107.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0109.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0126.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0133.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0255.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0354.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0399.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0412.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0417.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0466.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0489.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0498.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0507.jpg
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-photo0516.jpg

I would say that I am more then satisfied with my mobile camera. Outdoor results are very good and quite comparable to my P&S camera(sony W300). And I must add that video recording results are even better.

Last edited by zoom2_ash : 1st January 2011 at 15:18.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:03   #7530
BHPian

Quote:
^
Thanks for that! I checked it out and at 25k, it is way beyond my budget.

Come on the Android thread, we have been discussing these things a bit more in details.

If you just want a proper querty keypad and good screen but dont need a andriod, you could look at the Samsung OmniaPro, its got Windows Mobile 6.1 but has a 3.5" AMOLED Screen and a 5 MP camera

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks