Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 16:43   #106
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Great, got it now. Thank you guys. Will check for an alternate option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
emphasis: NetfreakBombay is telling you that you cannot use more than one modem (modem/router) on the same phone/broadband line.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:55   #107
BHPian

Guys, Sorry got another doubt. Please pardon me for bugging you all. w.r.t to the above mentioned scenario, can I switch off one setup and use the other setup, unlike using them parallely ?
Old 24th January 2011, 21:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

^That should work.

Mini review - Just picked up an Asus RT-N16. afaik this is the cheapest draft n router with gigabit lan. perfect for my needs of file transfer between 2 computers hooked up on LAN as well as giving good enough range over wifi for phone and laptop. Just hooked it up a couple of days ago and no complaints

Last edited by bottle : 24th January 2011 at 21:21.
Old 25th January 2011, 00:05   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Assuming that your indoor cabling is good enough, and that you get all the splitter/filter combinations correct, yes, it should be fine to only have one on at a time, but it is a shame not to properly network your house.

If you are not using one now, you could try a 'n' wifi as mentioned by bottle. They are more powerful and have a bigger range. Also consider what differences any possible change of position of your router might make. For instance, it is easier for the signal to pass straight through a wall or ceiling than diagonally: a small change can make a difference.

If not wifi... you only need to take one cable up to your second floor, then you can position a switch there to connect the machines.

Any possibility of using the conduit that phone line is in to draw a network cable through? If it originates at or near the same place as your modem connection, of course.
Old 25th January 2011, 15:57   #110
BHPian

Sorry buddy, we couldn't modify 30lakhs structure for the sake of Rs.300 network setup. Anyways next time I build house, I'll take care of it. For now I think I shall use the alternative setup instead of parallel setup. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Assuming that your indoor cabling is good enough, and that you get all the splitter/filter combinations correct, yes, it should be fine to only have one on at a time, but it is a shame not to properly network your house.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Setting up a Lab on 2nd floor, I dont get the Wi-Fi range, cannot pull the network cable due to the amount of cabling, drilling etc involved.
Why is it so difficult to route a network cable from 1st floor to 2nd floor ? Routing one cable should not involve so much drilling.

IMHO, that would be the best option.

Rohan
Old 25th January 2011, 16:35   #112
BHPian

On Wi-Fi & Routers-map.jpg

From the pic above I dont have any enclosed path to pull the cable from FF to SF. that is the reason am exploring these reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why is it so difficult to route a network cable from 1st floor to 2nd floor ? Routing one cable should not involve so much drilling.

IMHO, that would be the best option.

Rohan
Old 25th January 2011, 16:50   #113

Re: 3G Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Rohan, thanks for the reply. Let me clarify a bit;

1. I use a laptop with wi-fi on the first floor where the BSNL wireless modem is installed.
2. Dad uses his laptop with wi-fi on the ground floor which is covered by an i-ball wireless router.
3. The i-ball router has the physical LAN connection(RJ-45 connectors) from my primary first floor modem for internet purpose.

I do get a signal on the ground floor from the 1st floor but it is very weak and speed is affected, hence the setup I have currently.

What I am planning is now to get a 3G wireless router something like this

11N 3G Router by Leoxsys Networks Pvt Ltd. ++ Connecting Intelligence ++

to replace my primary BSNL modem and use a 3G dongle (Docomo 3G or Reliance BB+) on the new router for internet and retain the 2nd router for better connectivity downstairs. I do not want to use a laptop as a router as this will need the concerned laptop to be always on and be in the house all the time.

I hope I am clear now. Any better ideas. Any better alternatives than the router I mentioned above. One more thing will 3G be able to match the speed I get with by BSNL broadband currently?

Thanks in advance.

-Rohit
I faced the same problem a few days ago. In my case, the Airtel wifi didn't even reach a far away room in the same floor.

Here's what I have learnt:

1. The default wifi router provided by the service provider is usually quite bad and is very weak. An easy solution will be to upgrade it with a good quality wifi router that will emit a much stronger signal. Do remember to buy a router + ADSL modem device, and not just a wifi router. You can get the service engineer to do the installation. You will have to purchase it with your own money however. I did check some options and decent quality routers were retailing for about 2500 or so, if I remember correctly (Belkin, Linksys, Cisco, etc.).

This was the recommendation given by the Airtel engineer, by the way. Again, you can ask your service engineer for some recommended alternatives.

2. There are a couple of other options available such as adding a splitter so that you can move your router to a more central location (which is what I ended up doing). Another option is to add repeaters to amplify the signal in the dead spots etc. However, this will end up costing the same as a new router anyway.

3. There are also some DIY hack solutions to boost your signal strength such as using aluminium foil to increase the size of your antenna, adding a tin foil parabolic dish to focus your signal in a directional way etc. However, this is pure conjecture in terms of how effective it will turn out to be. I have only read about this online.
Old 26th January 2011, 13:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a wireless router from Cisco and was told it would cover around 300metres distance.
Can anyone help me how to secure(network) this router.
Old 26th January 2011, 20:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I purchased a wireless router from Cisco and was told it would cover around 300metres distance.
You need to login into the router by connecting the LAN cable to your system and accessing the URL: http://192.168.1.1 . You will be asked for a user id and password. User id is admin (I dont remember what the password was). You can then setup the security and other options in the subsequent screens. I used this for setting up my router (wrt610n).

Rajdeep
Old 26th January 2011, 21:28   #116
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post

Please setup WPA2/AES wireless security on it first thing along with a password. Then locate if there is a guest access feature and change the default password to it as well.

Do not share the WPA2 password you use with anyone and write it down somewhere (like on a windshield sticker )

HTH
Old 27th January 2011, 01:09   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

I cut&paste mine into a file. I'm not sure about the security of that, but if you have got to my file already, then security is no longer an issue anyway! This means I can carry it on a thumb drive and paste it when setting up a wireless machine.

I used the full length, but I don't think I ever would again, but most times I have had to use are for devices where it has to be entered manually, and without the luxury of a "proper" keyboard --- but do make it a decent length, and do not use dictionary-available words from any language. Mine is complete gibberish.
Old 27th January 2011, 03:43   #118
BHPian

Hi,

I have a D-link 300 router which is working beautifully. The problem is, its antenna broke due to a fall and now the range is very limited, 1-2 bars outside the room in a 1000sqft flat.

Do I have any options apart from getting the OE antenna?

Thanks,
Shobhit
Old 29th January 2011, 15:29   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Hi,

I have a D-link 300 router which is working beautifully. The problem is, its antenna broke due to a fall and now the range is very limited, 1-2 bars outside the room in a 1000sqft flat.

Thanks,
Shobhit
When I was doing research to solve my problem of limited range of my wifi unit, I noticed that there are several simple DIY hacks to extend the range. Most of them involved extending the length (and in some cases, directionality) of the antenna by using aluminium foil or a suitable metallic wire etc. I'm not sure to what extent your antenna is damaged, but it might be worth a shot since it looks quite simple to do. I believe that the antenna itself is only a simple wire.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:47   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
You can bump up transmission power of exiting antenna. To do this, you will need to install DD-WRT or Tomato on this router.

With these, you will get an option to push transmit power to max hardware limits. In stock routers, its limited due to ECC regulations.

Most Viewed