Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 04:43   #1066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Thanx vinay! The specs of the 4720 are really nice for the price. But ACER brand name gets a lot of WHY an ACER ? type questions. How is the reliability and after sales with Acer?

even i would like to know!
I have 2 Acer with me on is 4710 and the other one is 4720 and my official notebook is D630 from Dell. Coming back to Acer i have not got a single issue till today. I am using it from about one and a half years. 4720 is about 5 months old. Why Acer??? even in US this time they were in top. You need to work on there ferrari series notebook they are mind blowing, the boot up wave sound ha a 3D effect and you will feel like a F1 car going around.

Last edited by vinayvtec : 1st July 2008 at 04:47.
Old 1st July 2008, 08:19   #1067
Senior - BHPian

btw Dell India seems to have launched a new line of notebooks by name Studio. Main features are WLED option and 3GB memory as standard.

Dell Laptops/ Notebooks - Home & Home Office
Old 1st July 2008, 08:47   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
btw Dell India seems to have launched a new line of notebooks by name Studio. Main features are WLED option and 3GB memory as standard.

Dell Laptops/ Notebooks - Home & Home Office
Some more added features are :
Slot Load
one eSATA connector for AMD processor notebook (available with one model at preset)
Media Control Buttons are touch sensitive.
Latest Wi-Fi Catcher™ network locator in the hinge and even the power button.
It has HDMI port.
I have 2 headphone connectors and one Microphone. (Good for people who love to DJ)
The other best thing is there is only one access door for the bottom of computer.
The Certificate of authentication is behind the battery and not on the bottom of the notebook .
Many of the parts on this computer is factory replaceable unit and not customer replaceable unit.

WLED make the screen even thinner and it consumes less power also improves battery life and very good clarity.
Old 1st July 2008, 08:49   #1069
BHPian

I got my dell XPS M 1530 last week..
2 GB ram.. 120GB harddisk.. some midrange processor with 2Ghz..
just bought it for looks.. needed to gift somebody a lappy when i come to india..

was 750$ here
Old 1st July 2008, 08:57   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I got my dell XPS M 1530 last week..
2 GB ram.. 120GB harddisk.. some midrange processor with 2Ghz..
just bought it for looks.. needed to gift somebody a lappy when i come to india..

was 750$ here
I hope you have bought some good warranty on it with complete care, so that the person to whom you will give the notebook can get support in India.
Old 1st July 2008, 09:23   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Please do...
I too have used an AMD Turion based Acer and have been quite satisfied with the performance
Most of the Acer notebook comes with Linux and not windows there alone you will be saving about 4-5 grand, they also have computers that are built already and Dell they customize the computer for their customer needs they charge for the OS and other application software’s too. If you are technically savvy and can source the OS and the applications then its best to go for Acer.

Another best thing with Dell notebooks is they have an image restore option, I think most of the other manufacturers are too coming up with this. This can get the computer back to factory settings in just some clicks and you need not install any drivers. They even come with some cool diagnostic tools which are embedded and can help the technician for analyze the issue very easily by the error codes.
Old 1st July 2008, 09:29   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I hope you have bought some good warranty on it with complete care, so that the person to whom you will give the notebook can get support in India.
one year international warrany comes standard..I suppose...anyway i had got support for my cousin's latitude i was using

Last edited by Jomz : 1st July 2008 at 09:34.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:30   #1073
BHPian

Is NVIDIA 8400m GS worth paying 3k over Intel X3100 for a not so hard core gammer?
Does dell provide upgradation option to hard ware later on,i mean six months or four months down the line?
Old 1st July 2008, 10:55   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Some more added features are :
Slot Load
one eSATA connector for AMD processor notebook (available with one model at preset)
Media Control Buttons are touch sensitive.
Latest Wi-Fi Catcher™ network locator in the hinge and even the power button.
It has HDMI port.
I have 2 headphone connectors and one Microphone. (Good for people who love to DJ)
The other best thing is there is only one access door for the bottom of computer.
The Certificate of authentication is behind the battery and not on the bottom of the notebook .
Many of the parts on this computer is factory replaceable unit and not customer replaceable unit.

WLED make the screen even thinner and it consumes less power also improves battery life and very good clarity.
The Studio series is placed between their entry level Inspirons and high-end XPS Series. The Studio series will give you a better multimedia experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
one year international warrany comes standard..I suppose...anyway i had got support for my cousin's latitude i was using
Any warranty which is 1year and above qualifies for International Warranty...thats true atleast with Dell. Not sure of other brands though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Is NVIDIA 8400m GS worth paying 3k over Intel X3100 for a not so hard core gammer?
Does dell provide upgradation option to hard ware later on,i mean six months or four months down the line?
You dont need to be a hardcore gamer for a better graphics, if you are thinking about the latest 8800GT and the 9600 nVIDIA graphics card...those are for serious gamers but otherwise a good video card is better. And yes the 8400GS is a good series. Gives you better picture provided your monitor or the Laptop LCD also supports the resolutions that the video card can provide. Basically integrated video cards always share memory with system RAM.

As for upgrades, there are certain parts as i mentioned in the earlier posts which cannot be upgraded later or would cost a lot like Processor, LCD, Video card is a big NO NO since they cannot be changed unlike desktop systems which come with PCI-Express add-on cards. Sound cards too cannot be upgraded as they will be integrated to the system board. IMHO its better to get the best of the above when you order for one.

You can only think of upgrading the RAM, HDD and Optical Drives(CD,DVD-ROM,DVD+-RW & Blu-Ray) The rest you will be pretty much stuck with them.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:58   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Hi aza,

> I have 2 Acer with me on is 4710 and the other one is 4720 and my official

My office has 3 acers, a 4310 11 months old, another 4310 5 months old and a 5315 about 4 months old.

Noe of them have heating problems and are on for at least 11 hours or more everyday.

They were specifically bought to replace the other low end (Sahara) which had heating problems especially with our DOS application.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:43   #1076
BHPian

Guys, Dell launches the Studio series. I think it is inbetween the Inspiron and XPS series. Looks good.

Dell Studio Laptops / Notebooks: Personalized laptops, light weight laptops with multimedia features
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:23   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi aza,

Noe of them have heating problems and are on for at least 11 hours or more everyday.

They were specifically bought to replace the other low end (Sahara) which had heating problems especially with our DOS application.

Hey Bro, try flashing the BIOS it should fix the issue.
Old 2nd July 2008, 15:03   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vinay,

> Hey Bro, try flashing the BIOS it should fix the issue.

The Sahara has been sold. But I do have an LG which also does the heating trick. The common feature between the Sahara and the LG are that they are 14 inch square screens. None of the wide sceen 14 / 15 laptops have heating problems.

Any pointers as to how go about the BIOS flashing part?

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:10   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Vinay,

> Hey Bro, try flashing the BIOS it should fix the issue.

The Sahara has been sold. But I do have an LG which also does the heating trick. The common feature between the Sahara and the LG are that they are 14 inch square screens. None of the wide sceen 14 / 15 laptops have heating problems.

Any pointers as to how go about the BIOS flashing part?

Thanks in advance!

You should either get a executable file which can be run within Windows. Once you run the file it will restart and flash the BIOS upon restarting. Or certain versions require you to create a bootable flash disk, either using a floppy or some can be on a CD too. Depends on the manufacturer and the version. Almost all latest versions of BIOS come with executable files. They can be run from within Windows and it will flash the BIOS during restart.
Old 3rd July 2008, 00:20   #1080
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Thanx for all your suggestions people! I'm gonna be checking out Nehru place for acer this weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks