Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 12:44   #1051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Is that the truLife screen which Dell mantions as an upgrade?
Sorry for the delay in reply, its called a Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam on the web but when you research more it will clearly say Thin, light and bright with Hi Resolution LED Display! Just wait for 15 more days there is amazing system which is on its way. Also to get a best discount have the best configuration.

If you guys need a super good configuration for a less price then you can try Acer 4720, it will cost you 30 grand, but believe me it will compete with the best configuration notebooks. But only thing is you will get the computer without OS and you can install what ever OS you love to work on Except MAC.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th June 2008 at 13:22. Reason: See note in post
Old 25th June 2008, 17:25   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Total Price: Rs 36,878 00
(All prices are inclusive of delivery but exclusive of tax)
after taxes and crap a lil under 40kish
It's a Inspiron 1525 & not an XPS, right?
Old 25th June 2008, 17:31   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Is this a good deal?

Lenovo
Core 2 Duo : 1.66GHZ
1GB RAM
120GB HD
DVDRW
Blue tooth, wifi, card reader
14.1 inch screen

All this for Rs 33,000 (all inclusive, Pune)
Hows the deal?
Bunny, if the laptop is going to have Vista, you might consider upgrading the RAM and the HD should be a lil more. Check out other options too before committing to this.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:44   #1054
Senior - BHPian

RAM for Compaq Presario 2584AI notebook PC (AP) (PA115PA)

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 model Compaq Presario 2584AI notebook PC (AP) (PA115PA). It currently has 2x256 MB RAM modules.I wish to upgrade this to 1 GB (which I believe is the maximum that it can support - correct me if I am wrong!).

The manual mentions the memory part as "256MB, 266MHz, 200-pin, PC2100 SO-DIMM (Small Outline Dual In-Line Memory Module)"

Can someone recommend the same type of memory in either 1x1GB or 2x512 MB? Places to buy in Mumbai?
Old 28th June 2008, 00:21   #1055
BHPian

Need Advice for Laptop

Friends,

I need suggestions for buying a new Laptop,I will start with my usage requirements and other parameters:-

Shall be used for normal day to day usage like Microsoft Office,Internet Browsing,Playing games(Not Often),Music n movies.

Currently i am using Compaq M2000 series laptop but i not big fan of silver colour lappies as it's very hard to maintain and even harder to keep them scratch free and moreover the silver color fades away after some usage.

I will love to buy somthing like thinkpad series,plain black in color with great material,me being a feild guy,i need something that is easy to maintain,
Currently have short listed Lenovo R61 thinkpad model and dell Vostro1510.
What is the difference between Nvidia graphics card n Intel x3100 graphic card?
What processor should i go for?i have no idea about it.

Plz suggest,if i forgot something plz ask i will mention it.
Budget is 40k-45k

Cheers!

Last edited by Gill : 28th June 2008 at 00:28.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:13   #1056
BHPian

Intrested in these two Models:-
In the link below the Cd/dvd rom is not mentioned at all and I doubt whether it is WIFI enabled or not.
Lenovo India - More details for your ThinkPad R Series: 8932A38

This models costs 5k more but in specs CD/DVD rom and WIFI details are clearly mentioned:-
Lenovo India - More details for your ThinkPad R Series: 8932A41

Can someone enlighten me on it.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:26   #1057
Senior - BHPian

whichever notebook you get should have both PCMCIA (PC Card II) and Express Card slots for connectivity. Our Indian telecom majors have not all graduated to Express Cards, they have jumped from PCMCIA to USB. But from reports PCMCIA based cards give better connectivity.

Also screen clarity should be a priority. Earlier IBM models used to have tremendous screen-clarity but after Lenovo took over it seems to have deteriorated as they are no longer using IPS panels for their thinkpads.
Old 29th June 2008, 23:59   #1058
BHPian

Any views on Dell vostro 1510,with C2D t8100 processor,4 gb ram and n vidia 8800.
Would be great if any user can give hand's on review on Vostro machine?i.e durability,keyboard performance n heat level.
Old 30th June 2008, 01:10   #1059
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys Any reviews on ACER laptops? esp Acer 4720 laptop, i need this for word processing and presentations only. I liked Acer firstly because of its pricing and secondly because i dont have to pay for Vista or Xp, as this laptop comes with Linux.

Alternative suggestion from Lenovo, HP and DELL are also welcome if in the same price bracket of < 30K

Last edited by aZa : 30th June 2008 at 01:13.
Old 30th June 2008, 02:36   #1060
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Total Price: Rs 36,878 00
(All prices are inclusive of delivery but exclusive of tax)
after taxes and crap a lil under 40kish
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's a Inspiron 1525 & not an XPS, right?
@whatcanthisbe - If I customize the same specs on Dell's website, the base price is coming upto 41k (excl tax+vat+etc) How are getting the figure of 36k? Howcanthisbe?
Its not XPS should be 1525 or Vostro? But 36k base price with 3GB & 250 HD seems hard to believe.
Old 30th June 2008, 02:43   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Guys Any reviews on ACER laptops? esp Acer 4720 laptop, i need this for word processing and presentations only. I liked Acer firstly because of its pricing and secondly because i dont have to pay for Vista or Xp, as this laptop comes with Linux.

Alternative suggestion from Lenovo, HP and DELL are also welcome if in the same price bracket of < 30K
Believe me Acer 4720 is best value for money.. for 30 grand you will be getting 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD and a good core 2 Duo processor, integrated web cam, DVD DL burner many more stuffs, I have personally used it and its really a good notebook. The price at which acer is offering there computers, you will not be able to get from Dell or anyother company. If you wish I can explain you why..

Last edited by vinayvtec : 30th June 2008 at 02:47.
Old 30th June 2008, 06:54   #1062
BHPian

Chose whichever manufacturer you think is worth the money and service. The parts they use would all be the same except for after sales service. HP is has lost out a few times due to their customer service reps. Dell & Acer(I work for the largest pc makers) have always been on top with respect to after sales service.

If anyone planning to buy a laptop, ensure you spend enough money to get certain top end parts like the Processor, LCD, Video card.

Unlike desktops, laptop's processors are very expensive and not recommended to be changed by customer himself. So better get the best one possible during purchase.

Same with the LCD, it costs a lot to upgrade to TrueLife from a normal WXGA lcd. If you are planning to use an external LCD monitor then it would be smarter to get the lower end LCD option.

Just like processors, video cards also cannot be changed on laptops once installed. Some laptops come with onboard video cards(integrated to the motherboard) so carefull on that. All video cards for laptops have shared memory i.e, if the specs of video card say 256MB Video Memory the Video card itself will have a dedicated memory of 128MB and shares the other 128MB with the system memory(RAM).

These are some of the tips from my end. Hope you guys find it usefull.
Remember more RAM the better performance. Hard Drives can always be upgraded to a bigger size anytime,anywhere. Focus on the parts which cannot be changed once ordered.
Old 30th June 2008, 13:16   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Believe me Acer 4720 is best value for money.. for 30 grand you will be getting 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD and a good core 2 Duo processor, integrated web cam, DVD DL burner many more stuffs, I have personally used it and its really a good notebook. The price at which acer is offering there computers, you will not be able to get from Dell or anyother company. If you wish I can explain you why..
Please do...
I too have used an AMD Turion based Acer and have been quite satisfied with the performance
Old 30th June 2008, 23:05   #1064
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Thanx vinay! The specs of the 4720 are really nice for the price. But ACER brand name gets a lot of WHY an ACER ? type questions. How is the reliability and after sales with Acer?

Quote:
Please do...
I too have used an AMD Turion based Acer and have been quite satisfied with the performance
even i would like to know!

Last edited by aZa : 30th June 2008 at 23:07.
Old 1st July 2008, 03:15   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
But ACER brand name gets a lot of WHY an ACER ? type questions. How is the reliability and after sales with Acer?
Acer has become a popular brand lately. Trust me they have some good products, though about 2-3yrs back they used have common issues like system heating up on laptops. But they have improvised quite a lot. Their after sales support is good. But Dell is exceptional with next day warranty replacement. Worth every penny to take additional warranty just in case.

Check out the new line of Dell Studio series which should be launched soon.

If you are ready to spend some serious money try getting a MacBook PRO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks