Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 11:08   #5821
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post

So I think it's safe to assume a gaming Laptop will be the wiser choice so I was thinking of making do with a basic laptop for now and buy a better laptop by 2nd year with whatever requirements I would need then.
Do you have one already? (basic laptop i.e.). If not, let us know when you plan on making a purchase, will recommend something that should get you through your first couple of years
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 22:01   #5822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Hi everyone,

Usage is light office work but we want something which will last at least 5 years.I hardly know anything about Laptops, but both of us love ThinkPads which we've used for a while now.Accordingly, we've shortlisted the base Lenovo L13 with the following additions
1. I7-10510U
2. Windows 10 Home 64
3. 16GB RAM
4. 512 SSD
5. Anti-Glare Display
Have finalized on these specs but with i5.
Just wanted to check if anyone has experience with ordering from the Lenovo website?
Also found it very strange that the "build your own" models have only 1 year warranty.
Old 10th September 2020, 15:05   #5823
BHPian

Need recommendation for my son who will be going for engineering college education in CSE.
Needs
- Should be able to support his 4 year education programming needs
- Decent battery life
- No gaming needs
- budget 50K

Looking forward to views of experts.
Old 10th September 2020, 15:57   #5824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Need recommendation for my son who will be going for engineering college education in CSE.
Needs
- Decent battery life
- No gaming needs
- budget 50K

How important is portability to you/him?
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 16:01   #5825
BHPian

Quote:
Needs
- Decent battery life
- No gaming needs
- budget 50K

Congrats to you son and yourself on his admission. My best wishes to him.

I graduated with a degree in CSE last year and trust me when I say that he is going to game. I had friends with MacBooks who used to sit and play on my Dell. My laptop cost about ₹59K in 2015 and for ₹50K today, you should get a more powerful machine, enough for him to game if he chooses to at some point.

For coding and development, OSX is supposed to be better optimised and much cleaner, but I've used Windows and found it rather comfortable, especially with it's compatibility to various programs. It is also easier to run Linux on it than it is on a Apple device.

I had a difficult time with Dell and will not recommend it to anybody ever. Starting from the product right to the customer service all of it was horrible. It was only with 'Jugaad' I was able to run it for four and a half years.

Something like this, this or this from HP should be fast and powerful enough to run all of his general programming needs. Something like this what people in my college generally had.

They have good processors, 8 gigs of RAM and a decent graphics card, if he wants to game or 3D modelling etc. They all come with SSDs which should make things quite fast, but they're at 512 GB and if he likes movies etc, he might need an external HDD. They also come with decent battery backup. He will have to be careful with the charging cycles though.

See what suits him and let me know if you need anymore help.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:06   #5826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
How important is portability to you/him?
Not very critical - but not considering a desktop for sure.
Old 10th September 2020, 17:09   #5827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Congrats to you son and yourself on his admission. My best wishes to him.

Thanks for the recommendations - Looks like the recommendations are AMD with Linux (which i think may be more popular with the CSE students currently)
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 17:15   #5828
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations - Looks like the recommendations are AMD with Linux (which i think may be more popular with the CSE students currently)
The only thing with these systems are that they don't come pre-installed with Windows but they fully support it. You can get a pirated copy or buy a license. Our college used to hand out free licenses and I recommend that your son get one from them if the college issues one.
Old 10th September 2020, 21:47   #5829
BHPian

Quote:
Not very critical - but not considering a desktop for sure.
If you can get something with the latest 7nm AMD processors, they should always be the first choice:- https://amzn.to/35p0RUu

Oh and, this comes with Windows

Alternatively, consider a gaming laptop if you can stretch the budget a little. Even if no gaming is required, those offer loads of performance if portability is not a priority.

Last edited by Amien : 10th September 2020 at 21:52. Reason: wrong quote
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 21:27   #5830
Senior - BHPian

Is there shortage of laptops in the market? I was casually browsing to look for a student based laptop but there are hardly any good options under 30-35k?

Flipkart/Amazon seems to have everything out of stock.

What other options do we have for buying a laptop online? How trust-able online portals of chain stores like vijay sales usually are?
Old 13th September 2020, 21:35   #5831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is there shortage of laptops in the market?
Not shortage really. The work from home situation has increased demand for the entry level to mid range laptops and hence the laptops which used to cost 25-35k previously cost almost 5-15k more. If it's not urgent, would suggest you to wait for Diwali sales.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 12:31   #5832
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there shortage of laptops in the market?
I went to Croma the other day & I was told by the salesman that there is a huge demand for laptops and their stocks are running out fast due to the work from home situation. I am myself looking for a laptop, will post later with more details. I'm not sure if there will be better offers during Diwali in stores like Croma,etc.
PPS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 19:28   #5833
Senior - BHPian

It is an urgent purchase for a relative's kids online classes. Working through classes and assignments on the basic Android tab is a bit difficult.

Is it recommended to purchase online directly from the manufacturer's website like Dell/Acer?

Does anyone have experience of buying directly from Dell / HP / other manufacturer's directly online?

PS - How about purchasing from online chains like Vijay sales?

Last edited by bluevolt : 14th September 2020 at 19:32.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:06   #5834
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No harm in going to the physical stores like Croma or Vijay Sales. Yesterday at Croma on certain laptops, they had an offer for free printer,etc.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:23   #5835

Quote:
It is an urgent purchase for a relative's kids online classes. Working through classes and assignments on the basic Android tab is a bit difficult.

Is it recommended to purchase online directly from the manufacturer's website like Dell/Acer?

Does anyone have experience of buying directly from Dell / HP / other manufacturer's directly online?

I purchased a laptop from Acer's website in May of this year because I got a better deal than Amazon/Flipkart. They shipped through BlueDart and the package arrived safe and sound. Only grouse was there were no updates about the shipping information so I wasn't aware if my product was shipped, but this could be due to the prevailing COVID situation at that time. I was pleasantly surprised to receive it from their warehouse in Bangalore to Delhi within 4 days. However, I am not sure what could I have done if my I received a damaged product. It is always comforting to see the 10 days returnable option on Amazon
DetonatoR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks