Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 07:27   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
It can't do anything that iPhone cannot.
there is a big difference as I see it. iPad can be used like a full laptop with the keyboard accessory that also has been launched but an iPhone/iPod-touch cannot be.

there is iWork for iPad which is not there in iPhone/touch - makes a big difference if you want to use iPad for work.

while iphone/touch have been huge with music and browsing, I expect iPad to be huge with gaming and video - with all that glossy hi-def LCD screen that you can carry anywhere.

i wish there was a camera there - frontside if possible for video-chats.

Quote:
Stevie mocked notebooks when he launched this. Notebooks are far more powerful and versatile than the Tablet.
you probably meant netbooks, not notebooks. stevie was mocking netbooks, not notebooks. he mentioned netbooks are good at nothing, they are basically cheap notebooks. he still sells macbooks - which is practically a notebook.
Old 28th January 2010, 08:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Guys any new products launched other than the ipad ?Cant really see anything on the Apple site except for the ipad.
Old 28th January 2010, 09:01   #33
BANNED

A good product but nothing radical here from Jobs garage. It is an enlarged iPhone with the price of a modest laptop. Don't think it will fly like the iPhone did. And he thinks there is a gap between a smart phone and a laptop which is not really there unless he wants to create one. All we get for $700 is a big lovely screen with good resolution but still you can't make calls with that device.
So ironically, it is neither a good phone nor a good portable computer, forget gaming. Now that reminds one of netbook, and we have many excellent ones starting at $300.

Last edited by zaks : 28th January 2010 at 09:05.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
A good product but nothing radical here from Jobs garage. It is an enlarged iPhone with the price of a modest laptop. Don't think it will fly like the iPhone did. And he thinks there is a gap between a smart phone and a laptop which is not really there unless he wants to create one. All we get for $700 is a big lovely screen with good resolution but still you can't make calls with that device.
So ironically, it is neither a good phone nor a good portable computer, forget gaming. Now that reminds one of netbook, and we have many excellent ones starting at $300.
Pardon me, but I would like to express myself which might be contradicting with your views.
  • It is an enlarged iPod Touch rather than an iPhone. And they didn't mean it to make an iPhone either.
  • Clearly, it is targetted more towards book readers and current iPhone and iPod Touch owners.
  • Why would you want to make calls on a ~10'' screen. How embarrassing it would be to!
  • They never marketted it as a phone. It's a portable device with somewhere mid of iPhone OS and Mac OS X capabilities.
  • You have to compare the daily life practicality of $300 netbooks and this. It'll be evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys any new products launched other than the ipad ?Cant really see anything on the Apple site except for the ipad.
No other announcements at all! I was hoping for iPhone OS 4.0, but they saved it for WWDC in June.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 28th January 2010 at 13:35.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:37   #35
BHPian

I have been following the development of the iPad for a while and I am not very impressed. Apple could have done a lot more here but as usual have tried to lock customers within a walled garden (Which is fine, since this is the basis of many business models including consoles, cellphones, media etc.)

Couple of things thar are a deal breaker for me:
1) Lack of Multitasking
2) No Native 1080i support
3) Lack of traditional USB
4) Completely locked into the Apple ecosystem (iTunes is my only way to get apps / books / movies etc.)
5) LCD - Ever try reading a book for a long time on your computer screen - Puts a lot of strain on the eyes and 10 hours of battery life for an e-book reader just does not cut it.
6) Lack of Flash

Sure, this device will be brilliant at a lot of things such as ePaper / Magazines / Easy UI / Multi-touch, etc. and the price points are quite aggressive, however I am confident, you will have better tablets coming out in the near future.

One such product to look out for is Notion Ink Adam - A product from a Hyderabad based company and started by a bunch of IITians and they have received a lot of positive attention at this year's CES. Their device will run full HD and comes with a Pixel Qi display - a switchable screen between a vibrant LCD and a black and white display. The device also runs Tegra II and has a custom version of Android, so it will be more flexible.

I would rather have a device like this and wait for the 4th gen iPhone than blow upwards of $800 for the iPad.

Cheers,
V

Last edited by vcash : 28th January 2010 at 13:40.
Old 28th January 2010, 13:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

No Flash?

No Multi-tasking?

No usb-ports?

No camera?

A disappointment for me. I was looking to buy this one. Not until atleast first three are fixed. Sorry Apple you just lost a customer. Till then, i would favor netbooks or notebooks.

Last edited by chevelle : 28th January 2010 at 13:42.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
you probably meant netbooks, not notebooks. stevie was mocking netbooks, not notebooks. he mentioned netbooks are good at nothing, they are basically cheap notebooks. he still sells macbooks - which is practically a notebook.
I'm sorry, my mistake.

But as TomsHardware puts it, it could've been much more. Minor changes to the design could have enable a whole lot of things.

Five Ways Apple Can Fix the iPad - Tom's Hardware

What it requires is open-ness, Apple is restricting you, always. Apple Software is the only thing you can use to sync it. No Flash Drives, no Memory Card. Heck, no Flash. Every net-user knows how many blank spaces you'll see without Flash, on a webpage. Any app, again, has to be passed by the app-store.

And the phone feature wouldn't have hurt. They have all the hardware. A set of bluetooth earphones to do the talking.

Maybe iPad Gen2 will have all that.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

An over-sized ipod touch but wont be surprised if people run to buy this just because it is an Apple product.

It is a good multimedia device which is a bit smart but i dont see how one can compare it to a laptop?

ah well strange are the ways of the market today
Old 28th January 2010, 20:41   #39
BHPian

The Apple iPad will be a great Carputer!
Old 28th January 2010, 22:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
The Apple iPad will be a great Carputer!
1. You can not integrate it into dashboard. a) It is a bit bigger than double din b) You need to sync it frequently.

It won't be fun using such a big screen on car on some wobbly stand.

2. Fat chance it supports OBD without major hacks...

You can buy customised hardware that solves all these problems at the cost of the iPad..
Old 28th January 2010, 23:26   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Here is the official video of iPad in youtube. Hope this will be of interest for you guys.

cheers
Old 29th January 2010, 00:17   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
One such product to look out for is Notion Ink Adam - A product from a Hyderabad based company and started by a bunch of IITians and they have received a lot of positive attention at this year's CES. Their device will run full HD and comes with a Pixel Qi display - a switchable screen between a vibrant LCD and a black and white display. The device also runs Tegra II and has a custom version of Android, so it will be more flexible.

I would rather have a device like this and wait for the 4th gen iPhone than blow upwards of $800 for the iPad.

Cheers,
V
definitely. Adam is way too cool. I've seen their engadget review

Notion Ink Adam stripped bare and our in-depth video hands-on -- Engadget

hope it comes soon and blows the iPad away.
Old 30th January 2010, 14:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, my mistake.

What it requires is open-ness, Apple is restricting you, always.
True! This is what peeves me off about apple. You shell out premium bucks for one of their products and there are many cheaper gadgets that offer a lot more freedom. I don't care how good their products are but apple as a brand is a big put off for me.

Does this new I pad (someone remarked that the name sounds like a sanitary napkin) communicate with your other devices via bluetooth?
Old 30th January 2010, 15:52   #44
BHPian

Its pretty much of an ebook to me.Atleast they should release a new patch by next month that would enable the users to do multitasking.If it has the same functions my iphone has then why i need to carry a giant ipad.
Old 30th January 2010, 16:24   #45
BHPian

Well, to me it's a device that is a target for any age group's computing requirements.

Kids, Gamers, School, Teens, Geeks, Parents, Grandparents.

Who can't use it? The price is good as well.

Are you smelling the future of computing? It might not be so in the current avatar, I'm just telling to smell, not eat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks