Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 19:21   #121
AWD
BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

To be iPad 3 or 4 owners, Apple hasn't been able to iron out the WiFi issues on the devices yet. I had bought a iPad3 4G, sold it off due to poor WiFi. Was thinking of buying iPad4 but friends who bought tell me that they encounter Wifi issues with the device.

Those keen on Mini should wait for upgrade to Retina display & new hardware.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

^ Apple has released 6.0.2 for the latest gen devices. All is working fine now.

Those with iPad2/3 will have to wait for the next update.

You can now go and buy the new device and no Wifi issues whatsoever.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2013, 13:00   #123
BHPian

I changed my credit card so in-App purchase does not work anymore. I do not want to enter my credit card details anymore to be stored in Apple servers. I thought of two options:-
1. Virtual credit card- ICICI discontinued it. I do not have other credit card froma bank which offer virtual card.
2. Apple iTune Gift Card- does not look like it can purchased off Apple India website.

I do not mind online purchase but I am averse to having my credit card details stored on some company server. What other options do I have?
Old 7th January 2013, 12:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I changed my credit card so in-App purchase does not work anymore. I do not want to enter my credit card details anymore to be stored in Apple servers. I thought of two options:-
1. Virtual credit card- ICICI discontinued it. I do not have other credit card froma bank which offer virtual card.
2. Apple iTune Gift Card- does not look like it can purchased off Apple India website.

I do not mind online purchase but I am averse to having my credit card details stored on some company server. What other options do I have?
Quite relevant, I too use net cards to purchase. Apple gives you an option to update your payment details to none.

If I wish to purchase I input my cc account or net cc details, complete the purchase and then reset it to none. I have multiple devices and multiple users who sometimes accidentally purchase so this has sorted my problem. Hope it helps.
Old 7th January 2013, 14:01   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Quite relevant, I too use net cards to purchase. Apple gives you an option to update your payment details to none.

If I wish to purchase I input my cc account or net cc details, complete the purchase and then reset it to none. I have multiple devices and multiple users who sometimes accidentally purchase so this has sorted my problem. Hope it helps.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully resetting to none removes traces of your credit card details from Apple server, right? My main concern is about my CC details remaining on some server, and getting exposed in case of hacking, however remote it might seem.

Accidental purchase by someone else is not an issue for me because:-
1. Every purchase needs to be authenticated by password
2. In-app purchase can be disabled and secured with 4 digit PIN under restrictions section of general settings.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:59   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully resetting to none removes traces of your credit card details from Apple server, right? My main concern is about my CC details remaining on some server, and getting exposed in case of hacking, however remote it might seem.

Accidental purchase by someone else is not an issue for me because:-
1. Every purchase needs to be authenticated by password
2. In-app purchase can be disabled and secured with 4 digit PIN under restrictions section of general settings.
Yes your details are deleted as its against the law to retain customer data.

As you will slowly see in future having one account with different family members using the products and especially kids restricting the in app feature works however few of the apps w.r.t my interest too get restricted. This feature makes it a boon and a tiresome bane. Also, once you use a password in front of kids, they remember it by heart apple needs to work on the display of characters in the password box
Old 8th January 2013, 07:51   #127
BHPian

Has some one did a DIY on replacing the digitizer? I am planning to do on my iPad. Digitizer, getting it from eBay along with all the tools required.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:14   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Has some one did a DIY on replacing the digitizer? I am planning to do on my iPad. Digitizer, getting it from eBay along with all the tools required.
What happened?
What is the Apple store quote?
I think iFixit has a step by step guide for it. It linked as I don't know what version you have. Try, its nice documentation nothing to be afraid of if you don't miss the steps

All the best.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:11   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
What happened?
What is the Apple store quote?
I think iFixit has a step by step guide for it. It linked as I don't know what version you have. Try, its nice documentation nothing to be afraid of if you don't miss the steps

All the best.
Couple of times fell down from a height of 2-3 ft. Half of the digitizer is completely smashed, couple of edges are dent. But still working and going strong.
Called up Apple, they are quoting a minimum of 12k
Have already gone through iFixit, but to boost my confidence asking here
I am using the 2nd Gen wifi.
The digitizer with all required tools from a reputed seller at eBay is coming close to 4k. Sensible!!!
Old 8th January 2013, 18:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of times fell down from a height of 2-3 ft. Half of the digitizer is completely smashed, couple of edges are dent. But still working and going strong.
The digitizer with all required tools from a reputed seller at eBay is coming close to 4k. Sensible!!!
iFixit works flawlessly, don't worry. I have friends who have used it and it is to the point.

Ultra Sensible, I just wanted to know what they are asking these days.

All the best!
Old 8th January 2013, 22:22   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I changed the digitzer on my Ipod touch. I ordered it from dx along with a tool kit (~INR 600). It was a pretty easy job but because I was impatient while removing the old one, a part of the stick foam thingie from one of the sides got ripped off and now i have a 2mm gap between the right edge and the screen. It works like a charm even after 18 months of replacement. However now I have a couple of dead pixels and I dont think I can do much about them.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:32   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I changed the digitzer on my Ipod touch. I ordered it from dx along with a tool kit (~INR 600). It was a pretty easy job but because I was impatient while removing the old one, a part of the stick foam thingie from one of the sides got ripped off and now i have a 2mm gap between the right edge and the screen. It works like a charm even after 18 months of replacement. However now I have a couple of dead pixels and I dont think I can do much about them.
Cool buddy. Checked in dx, the cost is on the higher side. eBay sells the digitizer + tools for 35-40$
Moreover, since you have dead pixels now, mind thinks whether your digitizer is genuine.
Old 8th January 2013, 22:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Cool buddy. Checked in dx, the cost is on the higher side. eBay sells the digitizer + tools for 35-40$
Moreover, since you have dead pixels now, mind thinks whether your digitizer is genuine.
Genuine for under $15? Na I never took it to be genuine. My Ipod is just used when connected to my car stereo and that too in shuffle mode. Period. So I just wanted a non boken cheap screen. Being in college, I coouldnt afford walking into an Apple store :P . At that time I had a HTC HD2 to play around with (used to run Windows+CM 7) for all other practical reasons.

The mantra is, be patient and do not apply excessive force when removing the old screen. Takes 30 more minutes probably but totally worth it
Old 8th January 2013, 22:44   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Genuine for under $15? Na I never took it to be genuine. My Ipod is just used when connected to my car stereo and that too in shuffle mode. Period. So I just wanted a non boken cheap screen. Being in college, I coouldnt afford walking into an Apple store :P . At that time I had a HTC HD2 to play around with (used to run Windows+CM 7) for all other practical reasons.

The mantra is, be patient and do not apply excessive force when removing the old screen. Takes 30 more minutes probably but totally worth it
My bad, missed the price. Have seen couple of videos where they blow hot air on the edges to loosen the adhesive. Is it required. I have a hair dryer though.
Old 8th January 2013, 23:08   #135
BHPian

Quote:
My bad, missed the price. Have seen couple of videos where they blow hot air on the edges to loosen the adhesive. Is it required. I have a hair dryer though.
I did use a hair dryer. The screen is just held there by the adhesive so it is real strong. Plus removing a smashed screen is more difficult because the tiny pieces remain stuck and you need to remove them one at a time and you are crazy scare to not touch the screen or a ribbon cable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks