Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 14:05   #211
BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

What data are you referring to? I thought since it do not have USB interface, we seldom copy or move files to iPad,except for songs.

So, the only data that will be stored in here is songs, and may be some pictures taken from cam.

I heard 3GB is used by OS, and even if I put in some more basic apps, it should fill up to 2 or 3 GB more.

One more question.
Can we use it with the winamp? I have a iPod and enabled the direct access. So I do not need to worry about the iTunes or sync with only one laptop. Now I can drag and copy from any clients using WinAmp.

Hope I can use the iPad the same way.
I use a paid app (Rs.200/) called as FileExplorer to connect to my Network File server and download/upload 'data' as needed. I have tons of books in iBook and volumes of images in my 16 GB iPad and still have 7GB space left as I swap files in and out. That app I told you allows you to view most files including videos streaming in so you don't need to store them in iPad itself.

I don't want to sound like an Apple fan boy - but once you start using Apple devices, they are so intuitive and visually immersive, it is hard to keep away from them. I am a Sysadmin who uses Linux servers for over a decade and Windows machines for development in the same time frame. Apple user experience simply blows you away.
Old 26th March 2013, 19:11   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apple's Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT:New iPad Mini Launched & New iPad Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I use a paid app (Rs.200/) called as FileExplorer to connect to my Network File server and download/upload 'data' as needed. I have tons of books in iBook and volumes of images in my 16 GB iPad and still have 7GB space left as I swap files in and out. That app I told you allows you to view most files including videos streaming in so you don't need to store them in iPad itself.
I got the iPad and downloaded the FileExplorer. But when I add the computer, it asks for the login username and password. So, I guess I should create a local user in the PC and connect, right?

I am mainly looking to transfer songs from different laptops. Unfortunately, its not possible with the iPad (which works great with iPod with winamp).

I really do not want to have it "locked" to one particular laptop.
Old 27th March 2013, 09:46   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I got the iPad and downloaded the FileExplorer. But when I add the computer, it asks for the login username and password. So, I guess I should create a local user in the PC and connect, right?

I am mainly looking to transfer songs from different laptops. Unfortunately, its not possible with the iPad (which works great with iPod with winamp).

I really do not want to have it "locked" to one particular laptop.
The free version of FileExplorer will ask for username/password every time for one computer while the paid version will allow you to store as many computers as you want. Besides it allows you to stream content. You need a Wifi Router which will make your life easier with all Wifi equipment around. If you want to play songs alone 'off-air' just connect to the particular computer/Laptop through FE and start playing. If you want to load the iPad with songs from other computers, set up iTune and load the songs to iTune. iTune will sync the iPad with the content.
Old 27th March 2013, 14:52   #214
BHPian

Try FileAppPro. I use it and it is very user friendly, lets me create folders and store files from its desktop app. I can send such files by email. I can also store email attachments into this app.
Old 31st March 2013, 00:38   #215
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Has anyone used / checked out the new Zynx Quad 9.7 or 8.0 tablet?
They look quite VFM and Gadget Guru has given a rather nice review of these.
Old 31st March 2013, 11:39   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Hey Guys,

Has anyone used / checked out the new Zynx Quad 9.7 or 8.0 tablet?
They look quite VFM and Gadget Guru has given a rather nice review of these.
There is already some discussion going on in another thread You may continue there. While 9.7 tablet has turbo-charged features such as Retina display, it doesn't have bluetooth or 3G, which can be downer. But it still seems like a steal.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:04   #217
BHPian

Quick question to Ipad 4 users. Have any one of you used a camera kit with this device? Does it read data from it? There are several vendors offering a kit on ebay, but I'm not sure they will work. It's there on amazon also.. but the cost of shipping to India is a deterrent. Anything I should know before I order one?

See - http://www.amazon.com/Avante-Lightni...connection+kit
Also - http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-3-in-1-ca...item3a7fd68b4b
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:38   #218
BHPian

I recently purchased the music video of "gangnam style" on my ipad. The price was Rs20. But the card was charged Rs60. I am not able to understand why.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:50   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Quick question to Ipad 4 users. Have any one of you used a camera kit with this device?
Nothing works best if its not above $100 and then some. Do not waste money. Get yourself a pocketable point and shoot camera.

Cheers!
Old 21st April 2013, 16:43   #220
BHPian

Hi Everyone

Need a suggestion, I have an option of buying a used ipad1 64gb with 3G for 15k was wondering during if it's worth it, my main purpose would be email, music, social networking no games, with new and more powerful I pads coming in am I making the wrong choice. Any pointer would be very helpful for me in making a decision.

Regards
Abhishek
Old 21st April 2013, 17:35   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
Hi Everyone

Need a suggestion, I have an option of buying a used ipad1 64gb with 3G for 15k was wondering during if it's worth it, my main purpose would be email, music, social networking no games, with new and more powerful I pads coming in am I making the wrong choice. Any pointer would be very helpful for me in making a decision.

Regards
Abhishek
Get a Nexus 7...as our shivajinagara says"cheap and best"
Old 21st April 2013, 17:50   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Quick question to Ipad 4 users. Have any one of you used a camera kit with this device? Does it read data from it? There are several vendors offering a kit on ebay, but I'm not sure they will work. It's there on amazon also.. but the cost of shipping to India is a deterrent. Anything I should know before I order one?

See - http://www.amazon.com/Avante-Lightni...connection+kit
Also - http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-3-in-1-ca...item3a7fd68b4b

I have this for my IPAD2, its main usage is to import the pictures from memory card to IPAD(if the card doesnt have the media folders like DCIM/Camera then u have to create it or else it will not read).
Old 31st May 2013, 21:19   #223
Senior - BHPian

After vacillating for more than a year, I finally took the plunge for an iPad. The price in most shops and websites was Rs 31900 for the 16 GB iPad 4 with retina display, but I got it from Snapdeal for Rs 29328.

Ordered last Friday and got the piece from Bluedart on Tuesday, 5 days before the expected date. But I have not fully explored it owing to office pressure.

But the first impression has been great. Now it is time to read the manual and download some apps.

Thanks for sammyboy and hayek for their inputs. I went in for a non-3G model because it costs 7K less than the 3G one. I rarely travel, so did not feel the need for that model. And if I do, I can always pair it with my smart phone.

And iPad gurus---can anyone post a list of apps that are great on it?

Last edited by vnabhi : 31st May 2013 at 21:23.
Old 1st June 2013, 00:22   #224
AWD
BHPian

I was facing heating issues on the back panel of my iPad4. Anyone experiencing the same ? I could not use it comfortably on my lap for longer duration of time, or for that matter even extended periods in hands was also un-comfy.
Old 1st June 2013, 01:29   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I was facing heating issues on the back panel of my iPad4. Anyone experiencing the same ? I could not use it comfortably on my lap for longer duration of time, or for that matter even extended periods in hands was also un-comfy.
I bought an iPad 4 last month and returned it after a week.

The bulk and weight were the main reasons for dislike but i do remember it was heating up as well. I couldn't hold it for more than few minutes with one hand due to its weight. Defeats the whole purpose of buying tablet IMHO

Got a dark blue iPad mini, super light and thin, much better performance than iPad 4, excellent build quality and extremely portable . Love it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks