Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 10:14   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Firstly, an oversized iTouch.
Secondly, "iPad" ?!? Sounds more like an electronic version of sanitary napkin. What were Apple's marketing guys thinking??
Obviously me don't want to be seen carrying one.
If that is what you think, then you must get this cover for the iPad:
iMaxi The Apple iPad Cover/Case with Protective by hiphandmaids
Old 5th April 2010, 10:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
If that is what you think, then you must get this cover for the iPad:
iMaxi The Apple iPad Cover/Case with Protective by hiphandmaids

That's just too good!!
Old 5th April 2010, 11:57   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this by mail the other day. Thought this is the best thread to share it:
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-image001.jpg  

Old 5th April 2010, 12:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

You can use your legs, hands etc., for multi-touch imat !!
Old 14th April 2010, 08:41   #80
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Apple iPad sellers are asking Rs. 36,000-40,000 in India, when the price should be Rs. 18,000.

And can you do any creativity, produce a presentation, write a whitepaper, Excel sheets, photo-editing, etc. ?

You can buy a great laptop and even higher-performance desktop for the price, they are asking.

Are we about to throw Rs. 36,000 at a fancy videoplayer and deficient bookreader ? Is India going to be knocked senseless by Apple, anytime soon?
Old 14th April 2010, 09:50   #81
BHPian

There's one thing with tablets most people are missing.

Every good review on iPad says that it's not a device you need, rather it's one you'll fall in love with within 10 minutes if used.

When you're surfing the web on your PC/Laptop, you're interacting with the content on the screen via a keyboard/mouse/touchpad. Not much fun. When you're on a touch screen device, you're interacting with the content directly. Now it wasn't much fun on a small cellphone screen, but with tablets, it seems like that webpage is in your hands. You can play with it, with the flick of your fingers. All that virtual stuff suddenly seems so real, just a transparent sheet's thickness away. A connection much much more intimate. Now that'd hold true for any tablet, but who else has made touchscreens as responsive and as fun as Apple ?
Old 15th April 2010, 07:45   #82
Senior - BHPian

Got to lay my hands on the thing, its pretty neat actually. Dont really know how it would fit into everyone's life but a way better thing to have if you dont have a iPhone already and want a convergence device like this. Felt pretty solid and had a lovely crisp screen. Definitely worth the asking price.

Tried a lot to upload a picture guess there is something wrong with the tbhp server or my browser(s) so here is linky

The iPad Thread-bumblebee.jpg

Bumblebee is chilling with the iPad

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2010 at 16:34. Reason: Moving image to TBHP server
Old 16th April 2010, 03:13   #83
BHPian

I'm temporarily here in USA and returning to India in May.
Preordered my iPad when it was open to preorder on March 12th, and as promised it was delivered on Apr 3rd.. There was much hype and fanfare for its arrival, much like it was when iPhone was launched.

I bought the basic 16GB WiFi one for 499$, plus the case for 39$ and the dock as well.
I dont have an iPhone in India, I dont like to be surfing web or checking email while I'm on the move. So I'd never be buying it.. But the iPad - I do surf a lot and read a lot - so it appealed greatly to me.. For sure, now more than 10 days with it, I'm very glad I got it - helps me to do mostly everything I would do with the web. And I now rarely open the laptop at home.

It also appealed to me a lot because I dont have a laptop back in India - the one I have now is office provided; I do have a desktop back home in India though and would prefer to use that anyday than a laptop. So the iPad appealed to me a lot.

Pros:
1. Top notch quality like all apple products
2. Fantastic touchscreen - sensitive, intuitive
3. The display quality is very very good - like the displays on all macs and macbooks. So video, text, photos show up in brilliant colors and probably the best you can see on such a screen
4. Long lasting battery, I did not check it exactly but it sure seems to be there for 10hrs or so as claimed
and many many more pros

Cons
1. I can't, for example if I want to attach a file or something to an email - unless I have pre imported photos into it from my laptop
2. Not value for money product in Indian context
3. Flash is not supported in Safari browser, so some sites I visit which have flash content show up empty boxes in that space
4. Keyboard takes time to get used to, and you type slower than you would on a regular keyboard, so not for long emails, or for typing out anything too long. But you'll get used to it.

I love to use it when sitting in the couch and surfing, emailing etc and to do everything else you do online - bank accounts, pay utility bills, check weather, etc etc

It is a beautiful product.. and when you keep it its case, it would be just like your diary or any other book. Just close it and keep it as you would a book. and the experience of browsing is also unique since you're not using a mouse or keyboard separately, but all you use is your fingers to click, drag, point, open, close etc.. all with your fingers. :-)

Definitely a beautiful, unique product by Apple, but not a must have and not a value for the money you pay for it.

Suresh.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th April 2010 at 14:56. Reason: Thanks for the hands-on review. Sending you a PM regarding your signature.
Old 16th May 2010, 12:42   #84
BANNED

ipad wifi connect to mobile phone wifi using GPRS or Mobile 3G?

Request to Those who have ipad . Have you tried to connect to your mobile phone thro wifi .From ipad wifi to mobile phone wifi WHEN mobile is either connected thro GPRS or say BSNL 3G . The idea is to see the possibility of browsing with ipad when there is no wifi availability but mobile gprs/BSNL 3G available . i phone has a solution for this with MYWi but non i phone solution is sought.

NOTE : I heard that a Broadband Router for your USB Wireless Card which has about 4 to 5 hrs battery backup is connected with tata photon . This COMBO is kept in a bag and the person does mobile browsing with IPAD. This router does connect with reliance netconnect and BSNL 3G/EVDO too.
Thanks.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

There isnt any way the Ipad will kill the netbook or the laptop. Not many(me included) will want to switch to a touchscreen keyboard. Its quite inconvenient.

Can someone please explain to me what makes the Ipad so revolutionary ..???
Im not so tech savvy but whats so great about the Ipad??
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post

Can someone please explain to me what makes the Ipad so revolutionary ..???
Im not so tech savvy but whats so great about the Ipad??
the fact that 3 million people were convinced to shell out upwards of $500?

I don't or plan to own one but it appears Apple has managed to create a niche and it has got their cash registers ringing even more...
Old 27th August 2010, 15:17   #87
Senior - BHPian

Do we have an option of connecting our USB drive or HDD to the iPad or is it through the charging dock or connector?

If we can source an iPad for 500$ can we use our broad connection namely(TATA photon+ or Airtel USB modem)

The price is too high in India. Guess its taking the path of iPhone.
Old 28th August 2010, 18:34   #88
BHPian

Apple's Music Event's coming up. Sep 1, I think. There's a good chance Apple gives the iTouch the iPhone 4 treatment.
Old 29th February 2012, 10:33   #89
Team-BHP Support

Re: Apple's 27th Jan Event: Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT: An Indian alternative -

Bumping an old thread,

Apple's next event: Mar 7 2012. Speculations of release of IPAD3 and Apple TV revamp.

Will Apple Unveil a New Apple TV Alongside the iPad 3? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old 1st March 2012, 17:33   #90
BHPian

Re: Apple's 27th Jan Event: Tablet aka iPad announced! EDIT: An Indian alternative -

Hello,

After going through this thread I feel extremely sorry for those who had thought iPad is a sheer waste of time.

Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks