Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 15:55   #991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Guys,

I was checking for a decent home theatre (5.1) to connect to an LCD and I found a Phillips 600rms.

The price was however, different in all stores.

E-zone - 11K
Chroma - 9K
Elec bazaar 10K

I think I will buy it from Chroma, but it is useful enough? or anyone could suggest me a better option in this budget?
Hi,

A philips home theater at this price range would by no means be decent.

I would suggest you to go for Onkyo 3100, the basic model of onkyo range. It is priced for Rs. 16990 at chroma as buying the philips one for around 10k would be waste of money.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:26   #992
BANNED

googleman - please go through previous 4-5 pages of this thread, starting from a post by nairrk.

There are good reasons not to buy a HTiB (home theater in a box) from a generic home appliance brand.

I should admit that I have only good things to say about Phillips HT thoguh. It IS a good choice. As already adviced, you should audition the Onkyo too - Ihave not used it; though.

Edit - uneet - is that the proce for a full HTiB? (AVR + speakers?), or is that just eh AVR?
Old 15th September 2010, 09:23   #993
BHPian

@uneet and Backseatdriver, Thanks for helping out.

Uneet - I checked at ezone for the Onkyo set you are talking about. They said it priced something around 30K and they have an offer so they are giving it in 16K. How they fool the customers. Anyways, as per my investigation I thought only Sony and Phillips are worth buying when it matters to "Sound" ?

Backseatdriver - I did try going through the pages, but there is more chat than information. Few posts give information but I think who is technically sound with home theatres would only understand that. I could hardly decide on anything seeing those posts.

Anyways, My budget was around 10-12K. I am not looking for a heavy Home theatre, just an "ok" type for normal home usage. I have a problem with budget so I thought I will buy a lowend home theatre for now, and later when I have enough money, will upgrade. How is the thought?
Old 15th September 2010, 19:05   #994
BANNED

Not sure if this link / thread is known to others. Just FYI.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...re-system.html
Old 15th September 2010, 19:34   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Uneet - I checked at ezone for the Onkyo set you are talking about. They said it priced something around 30K and they have an offer so they are giving it in 16K. How they fool the customers. Anyways, as per my investigation I thought only Sony and Phillips are worth buying when it matters to "Sound" ?
I have an Onkyo speaker set for my Home theatre system back home in Pune. I can vouch for their quality. I mean they do the thundrous job.

Here in the US I have bought a Bose Liftsytle 38 (one model down than the latest) after selling off the Bose 3-2-1 system. Works like a gem.

Back in Bangalore I have a Creative 5.1 which is ok compared to the above monsters. Ah only if I could find a way to get the Bose to India.

@Backseatdriver: Couldn't agree more with your signature.
Old 16th September 2010, 10:09   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I have an Onkyo speaker set for my Home theatre system back home in Pune. I can vouch for their quality. I mean they do the thundrous job.

Here in the US I have bought a Bose Liftsytle 38 (one model down than the latest) after selling off the Bose 3-2-1 system. Works like a gem.

Back in Bangalore I have a Creative 5.1 which is ok compared to the above monsters. Ah only if I could find a way to get the Bose to India.

@Backseatdriver: Couldn't agree more with your signature.
Can you let me know which model of Onkyo? if you can.

So you can connect the creative HT to the TV? Am such an Idiot never thought of this option having it at home. I have the 5.1 connected to my desktop. I don't like the quality of sound though.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:06   #997
BANNED

Quote:
So you can connect the creative HT to the TV? Am such an Idiot never thought of this option having it at home. I have the 5.1 connected to my desktop. I don't like the quality of sound though.
TV channels have, at best, stereo sound. Most channels broadcast in mono, afaik. Not sure of the HD channels though.

If you do not like your speakers when they are connected to the desktop, chances are that you will not like them connected to the TV too.

Sound quality is different from sound effects. DTS, THX, 5.1, 7.1, etc refers to sound effects.

If you are looking for quality, you need to look at parameters like "frequency response", SNR, sensitivity, etc.

For example, look at the speifications on this link:-

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/pro...px?ImageId=905

or

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/pro...px?ImageId=908

Remember that very flat sounds - like those be a tabala require very low frequencies - like 100 HZ or so. (not sure of the tabala).

Now, compare these two products -

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/pro...px?ImageId=891

and

https://www.yamahamusicindia.com/pro...px?ImageId=908

The first speaker has the low end frequency starting at 28 Hz; second starts from 70 Hz. It makes a hell lot of difference while listening to music - depending on what you are listening to. But may not make much difference while listening to covnersations on a TV. Just look at the price difference!!!!

Also, compare info available on those links with what is available on other HT / speaker vendors' sites. Even Bose's. Also, please go through Samurai's "designing a home theater" thread, I posted few posts back.

I am not recommending any brands - in fact, I am still looking around for HT system. Just pointing you to things to look out for. I have simply pointed some links I was browsing yesterday, which seem to contain some information newbies tend to overlook.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:01   #998
BHPian

Quote:
@uneet and Backseatdriver, Thanks for helping out.

Backseatdriver - I did try going through the pages, but there is more chat than information. Few posts give information but I think who is technically sound with home theatres would only understand that. I could hardly decide on anything seeing those posts.

Anyways, My budget was around 10-12K. I am not looking for a heavy Home theatre, just an "ok" type for normal home usage. I have a problem with budget so I thought I will buy a lowend home theatre for now, and later when I have enough money, will upgrade. How is the thought?
Hi Googleman,

You are right that the MRP of this onkyo model is 30k, but it used to sell around 20k till 3 months back. Now due to newer models being launched, this one is being sold at a discounted price.

Now coming back to the point of spending beyond your budget, I must confess that if you are in a position of spending 12k for a low end HT, than it is surelly advisable to spend 16k for the outdated onkyo model. Iam very sure you will not repent.

@Backseatdriver --- Yes Iam talking about HT in a box. This model is available with AVR, Sub woofer, and five speakers.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:14   #999
BHPian

Atlast gave in and brought home the Onkyo HTS3300 on Saturday. Got it for Rs 24990 at the Onkyo outlet in the Value Forum Mall, Whitefield. I am told this comes with a one year warranty, havent checked the fine-print though.

Took a couple of days for the installer to come and he made the setup ready today morning. Played 'Terminator Salvation' and the effects were simply mind-blowing (am not a audiophile). I would have stayed at home, if not for the power-cut in our area.

My setup is as follows:
1) Cable directly goes to the Samsung 32" HD Ready CRT (has no HDMI port)
2) Used RCA cables for Voice, via composite out from TV to HTiB
3) Used Component Cables to connect DVD with TV
4) Used the Co-axial port for Voice from DVD to HTiB

Is the connection right?
Old 24th September 2010, 10:15   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Any opinion about sony component home theatre system
Model No.DDW 5500 - 6.2ch.

The Home Theater thread-ddw5500.1.jpg

The Home Theater thread-ddw5500.jpg
Old 24th September 2010, 11:24   #1001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
My setup is as follows:
1) Cable directly goes to the Samsung 32" HD Ready CRT (has no HDMI port)
2) Used RCA cables for Voice, via composite out from TV to HTiB
3) Used Component Cables to connect DVD with TV
4) Used the Co-axial port for Voice from DVD to HTiB

Is the connection right?
I am not sure that is the right thing, at least, going by the advice I got hear few posts back.

Best set up would be for everything to go in to the receiver, and one out from the receiver to the TV.

Looks like the isntaller had done the best he can. Obviously, your DVD too does not hdmi??

See this link for specs of the system.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

@nairrk; compare specs in the above link with what sony says on their site about their system.

Compare with this link:-

HT-DDW5500 : Home Theatre Component System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

Is there any info on "frequency response" for the speakers?? No??

Again, please go through the Yamaha setup. I have posted the links 3-4 posts back. Yamha site gives still more information, on noise distortion, dB levels, etc. These are the parametes which count for quality audio reproduction; and not power or PMPO or X.1 or Y.2 speaker configurations.

Is any media (VCD / DVD / BluRay) available with 6.2 channel sound? AFAIK, no.

Next, remember that your expensive HTiB will be worth may be 1/10 of what you paid for it, even 2 days aftert the purchase. So, go in for a quality setup right from the beginning.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:28   #1002
Senior - BHPian

@nairrk

This is a rip-off (at a price of 40k). Have a look at specs:

http://www.sony.co.in/site/showtab.a...K5500SW%2FMSP1

Primary issues are:

1. Lacks decoders for Blue Ray audio codecs (HD). It does not support "DTS-MA-HD".
2. Does not have HDMI repeater
3. Does not have a Mic for automatic calibration as per your room
4. Speakers are not up to the mark.

I would recommend:

1. Buy a AVR from Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha (Cost 20k)
2. Buy a speaker set (JBL/klipsch/Onkyo/Yamaha) (Cost 15 - 25k)

You will get much better connectivity + future proof system at the same or potentially lower price.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:35   #1003
BANNED

Netfreakbombay, mind explaining #1 and #2? What is HDMI repeater? (Same as pass through?)
Old 24th September 2010, 11:59   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Regarding feature #1,

Path of signal is

Source-->HDMI/Optical Cable-->Receiver-->6 or 8 Copper Cables-->Speakers

Source of the media (E.g. Blue Ray player, MKV file on HTPS) has Audio in a specific format.

When you play the content, that audio is sent to receiver. Now, receiver has to

1. Decode the audio and extract 5.1 or 7.1 channels from input. 6 channels for 5.1 and 8 for 7.1
2. Amplify each channel and send it to speakers

Receiver must have decoders for the audio format that is used by source. Or the source has to convert the audio to a format that receiver understands (only very few players can do that).

When you plug-in the HDMI cable, receiver and source send list of supported formats to each other as part of "handshake" process.

So, if receiver does not support DTS-MA-HD or other HD formats, there would be either no-audio or non-HD audio. Some expensive Blue Ray players have enough circuits to convert audio to some format that receiver understands.

This is called "Downmixing". preferred way is "Passthrough". i.e. Player sends signal to receiver untouched.

Regarding feature #2,

If you do not want to turn on receiver every time you want to watch TV, this feature is useful. Receiver will simply act as a "cable" if its off. HDMi input is directly connected to HDMI output.

It matters because electrical power consumption of receiver is 300 -- 800 watts.

Most of the times, users would be okay with sound coming from TV speakers and receiver being off.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:24   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Some good deals on Home Theater systems:

Article Window

AVR-1311 can be negotiated to 20-21k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks