Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2010, 17:41   #76
Team-BHP Support

Yes, you can register any kindle to your amazon.com account. Provided it is indeed a real Kindle.
Old 14th November 2010, 17:42   #77
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure about it. Currently only Amazon ships Kindle. I am not aware of a dealer for Kindle.
Also why do you need a dealer when Amazon ships Kindle directly to India. Samurai got it that way.

PS: I also saw that add today.
Old 14th November 2010, 18:38   #78
JVH
Senior - BHPian

@avi550m - Why take an unnecessary risk through this mode considering that there is no apparent benefit? I got the kindle and leather cover for 296USD from Amazon a few days ago.
Old 14th November 2010, 22:59   #79
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Looks like all the kindle users are busy reading

I tried the Kindle yesterday and it was a breeze to use. Downloaded a few pdfs from my laprop and started reading. Did not connect to Amazon since I forgot my wifi account password. Will to retrieve it and then connect.

One basic question though - The fit-to-screen size for most the pdfs is turning out to be quite small and the only way to read neatly is to use the Aa text editor and resize it to 150 or 250%. But this involves frequent usage of the 5 key controller a lot, for instance, reading from left to right will always require usage of left key and right key control. I found it tedious and I believe its not good for the eyes too. Since I haven't downloaded anything yet from Amazon, would like know the readability of the kindle ebooks. I hope this is not an issue for these.

P.S - the existent dictionaries and user guides are perfect sizes and I assume the kindle ebooks will also be of the same size?
Use calibre to convert your pdf's. Actually to convert any type of ebook to another. Works like a charm. It is otherwise a pain to read pdf's on the Kindle.
Old 26th November 2010, 20:03   #80
BHPian

I'm impatiently waiting for my Kindle (3G) to reach me on Monday - A colleague of mine is carrying it for me.

Does anyone know if Kindle case is available in India - I currently have an option to order from dealxtreme.com for 10 USD. The only problem with this is the the right to left lock of the case, people say hinders reading.

Calibre is the best app to manage the eBooks, there's an option to pull content from several hundred sources like NYT, The Hindu etc and send it wirelessly to your Kindle. Another option is to use kindlefeeder.com for subscribing to popular blogs and again having in Kindle readable format.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:34   #81
BHPian

re: Amazon Kindle - Touch & Tablet Version launched

I'm considering the Kindle purchase in the next week or so through a friend who is visiting the US.

On browsing the Kindle store, I found that most of the paid books cost around $9.99 or more. This is pretty steep considering that physical books in any Indian book-store would generally be much cheaper than Rs 450 ($9.99 equivalent). Apart from the free e-books that are available (restricted to classics only), how does one justify shelling out $9.99 for every new purchase? Is there a way out?
Old 9th December 2010, 17:34   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm considering the Kindle purchase in the next week or so through a friend who is visiting the US.

On browsing the Kindle store, I found that most of the paid books cost around $9.99 or more. This is pretty steep considering that physical books in any Indian book-store would generally be much cheaper than Rs 450 ($9.99 equivalent). Apart from the free e-books that are available (restricted to classics only), how does one justify shelling out $9.99 for every new purchase? Is there a way out?
Yes that is a problem. Books are costly compared to what we buy in India. But that is a price I am ready to pay for the space constraint I am running into.

As regards to the purchase, do check when they can deliver. Since rush for Kindle is high, hope the delivery date does not get puched beyond the travel time.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:39   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes that is a problem. Books are costly compared to what we buy in India. But that is a price I am ready to pay for the space constraint I am running into.

As regards to the purchase, do check when they can deliver. Since rush for Kindle is high, hope the delivery date does not get puched beyond the travel time.
If I order today, they will deliver by 14th if I choose Standard shipping ($15 extra). This is for the US kindle. The Int'l version has a long lead time. Delivery estimate is Jan. 21st or so. Apart from the charging cable, the US and Int'l versions do not differ from each other.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:21   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I order today, they will deliver by 14th if I choose Standard shipping ($15 extra). This is for the US kindle. The Int'l version has a long lead time. Delivery estimate is Jan. 21st or so. Apart from the charging cable, the US and Int'l versions do not differ from each other.
Just checked Amazon. Its in stock. Sorry for the flase alarm. When I bought the new version had just been released and hence delivery dates were 3-4 weeks.

(Like a car, I had a waiting period!)

Looks like that is not the case now.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:32   #85
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Don't get too bogged down by the delivery dates. My order was also supposed to be delivered in 3-4 weeks but was pleasantly surprised when I received it in 8 days flat. The long lead time is usually on the conservative side for obvious reasons. And it wasn't an expedite shipment.

Kindle is bought mainly for space constraints at home study/office and is a great companion while travelling (the main reason I bought) But yes, some books can be expensive but that's the price one has to pay.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:48   #86
BANNED

Quote:
You are right if you are looking for brand new books. archive.org has around 2 million free books. It has a children's library that has tons of free books for kids. Also if you keep a watch on the books you are interested, Amazon drops the prices of books as special offers. Some times to prices as low as $0.49.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:00   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
You are right if you are looking for brand new books. archive.org has around 2 million free books. It has a children's library that has tons of free books for kids. Also if you keep a watch on the books you are interested, Amazon drops the prices of books as special offers. Some times to prices as low as $0.49.
Thanks. Will watch out for those on Amazon.

Came across couple of interesting links for e-books:
Download Free Ebooks
Free Ebook Downloads (this has some relatively new fiction books)

Thought of sharing these on this forum. Any more links that anyone can suggest would be welcome.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

hey guys,

good to find so many Kindle users here. I have asked my cousin to bring one for me & he is reaching here today from US. he has picked up the 6" wifi +3g model for me. I need to ask a few basic questions :

1. How easy is it to read on the Kindle?
2. Is there a way to download ebooks (read : crack) and store on kindle?

Any precautions i need to take while using one?

Btw, he got the Kindle in White color for $190.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:07   #89
Team-BHP Support

1) It is incredibly easy to read books on Kindle. It doesn't hurt the eyes one bit.
2) You can copy e-book files on to kindle directly. Kindle shows up like a USB drive when connected to the PC. You can also send the ebook directly to yourkindleID@free.kindle.com which will convert your ebook to kindle format, and send it via 3G/Wifi to your Kindle.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) It is incredibly easy to read books on Kindle. It doesn't hurt the eyes one bit.
2) You can copy e-book files on to kindle directly. Kindle shows up like a USB drive when connected to the PC. You can also send the ebook directly to yourkindleID@free.kindle.com which will convert your ebook to kindle format, and send it via 3G/Wifi to your Kindle.
Thanks a lot. So during first time usage i need to register the device?
So once i have the kindle with me and if i get stuck i shall PM you and bother you

Thanks once again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks