Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2010, 15:55   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^^ Besides the camera, the screen size and shape/looks are possibly the only differences. Can't recall if the processors/memory are differet. You can check that up. I believe the headset is also different... the SG3 has a better one.

If you are talking about LG Optimus One, then as far as the specs are looks go, there is no comparison - the LG wins hands down. If you are comparing with the older Optimus, then it has a resistive screen, but reportedly a pretty sensitive one with better resolution than the Samsungs.

As for browsing with SG5, your biggest disadvantage would be the low resolution and small screen, which will make the experience a lot less richer.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th December 2010 at 15:57.
Old 12th December 2010, 17:08   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post
Is there a way to upgrade Samsung Galaxy S to Froyo 2.2 without using Kies. Using Kies has been a pain from the start.

Do we need to backup all the files like pictures/videos before trying to upgrade to Froyo 2.2.
I did the upgrade and the only thing i backed up was the contacts. All the data and downloaded apps were intact. The phone is visibly faster now as well.

Folks - I am not able to use google navigation in galaxy s? When i try to initiate navigation, it says google navigation is not yet available in this location. Pls let me know how to use it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th December 2010 at 17:48. Reason: Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 12th December 2010, 17:29   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - I am not able to use google navigation in galaxy s? When i try to initiate navigation, it says google navigation is not yet available in this location. Pls let me know how to use it.
correct its still not available in india - install brut maps - get the brut-renamed-tagged.apk
[APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers
Old 12th December 2010, 18:20   #964
Senior - BHPian

If anyone has the G00gle map tiles for India which can be used with brut maps, please pm me...Downloading them is too time consuming.
Old 12th December 2010, 18:45   #965
BHPian

^^ are you trying offline maps? I just posted a link on this thread (1-2 days back) which shows google mobile maps 5 is going to allow offline maps by default (and in a very small space due to vector mapping).
Old 12th December 2010, 19:40   #966
Senior - BHPian

Lovers of the Angry Birds !

How does the game play on your Androids ?

I have a Galaxy 3 and IPod touch 2G.
There is a world of difference between the quality of graphics between the iPod touch and Galaxy 3. Everything, from the graphic effects, speed to responsiveness is so so better on the iPod touch.

Is there an Android that plays the Angry birds as good as in the iPhone/iPod touch? How about Galaxy S/HTC Desire and other high end phones?
Old 12th December 2010, 19:43   #967
BHPian

^^ i use it on nexus one and it works great - htc desire is the same as nexus one and the game works great on htc desire HD as well.
I have seen the game not even load on htc wildfire - so yeah u need a decently spec'd android phone which the galaxy 3 and wildfire aren't
Old 12th December 2010, 20:04   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

There is a world of difference between the quality of graphics between the iPod touch and Galaxy 3. Everything, from the graphic effects, speed to responsiveness is so so better on the iPod touch.

Is there an Android that plays the Angry birds as good as in the iPhone/iPod touch? How about Galaxy S/HTC Desire and other high end phones?
The game is laggy on my Legend. I guess it works properly only on the high end android phones.
Rovio (makers of Angry Birds) had announced that they will be coming out with a version of Angry Birds optimised for all android devices. Till then, we are stuck with the laggy versions!
Old 12th December 2010, 20:27   #969
BHPian

Quote:

Great on Nexus One. Completed the game and the Golden Eggs twice over.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:35   #970
BHPian

I have a Galaxy S , and Angry Birds works like a charm

Quote:

Old 13th December 2010, 00:05   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am too tempted by Samsung Galaxy 5, can anyone say exactly what is the difference between the Galaxy 5 and 3. Also how come Galaxy S is so costly in comparison to these two phones.
Also some other options that I am thinking is the LG Optimus (I guess this comes with Andriod too).

I am not much bothered about the quality of camera(my shop keeper says the only diff between Galaxy 3 and 5 is the camera is that true? Frankly I wont mind paying for Galaxy 3, but if camera is the only diff I would rather prefer 5.

Ok let me summarize my question.
1. What is the difference between Galaxy 3, 5 and S, how does this three compare with LG Optimus.
2. If the main usage is browsing, does Galaxy 5 do a good job?
In simple terms:

Galaxy 5 < Galaxy 3 <<<<<<<<<< Galaxy S

Check the specs of the phones. Galaxy S is the current flagship Samsung android phone

LG Optimus One is a good phone on a budget and I would rate it better than Galaxy S.

Check Flipkart.com: Buy Books Online @ Book Store in India: Online Bookstore for prices.
Old 13th December 2010, 00:16   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Angry birds works smoothly on the HTC Desire!
There are absolutely no problems in the loading time or the responsiveness of the game!
Old 13th December 2010, 00:18   #973
Senior - BHPian

Angry birds works great on galaxy 3 as i have played it a lot for 2 days it was with me.
Old 13th December 2010, 00:43   #974
Senior - BHPian

Anybody tried Unlocking and Unfreezing Galaxy S?

I followed XDA developers guidelines, but i am getting Lock Successful message after entering unlock code and mmc code.

Any pointers?
Old 13th December 2010, 04:55   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
In simple terms:

Galaxy 5 < Galaxy 3 <<<<<<<<<< Galaxy S

Check the specs of the phones. Galaxy S is the current flagship Samsung android phone

LG Optimus One is a good phone on a budget and I would rate it better than Galaxy S.

Check Flipkart.com: Buy Books Online @ Book Store in India: Online Bookstore for prices.
I would not recommend LG, given the fragmentation of the android OS due to manufacturers not sticking to providing latest android updates on older phones.
I'd bet my money on HTC phones or any phone which is closely related to google's developer phone, as thats where the xda guys concentrate on creating ROMs and latest updates.
HTC desire was same platform as nexus one and Sammy Galaxy S is same platform as the new Nexus S.
So imho just stick to an HTC phone or get the Nexus or its non-google twin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks