Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 06:46   #1006
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any particular reasons that you like HTC WildFire over Galaxy 3? Heard WildFire display is not as good as Galaxy 3.
I am not sure if HTC Aria is launched in India - thats in this range as well. The reason to choose HTC over Samsung is future updates and community support (xda forums) if HTC stops updating. There will always be more people trying to port a new android release to HTC over a samsung or lg or sony.
To give you an example the guys at xda have even ported android to really old phones like htc diamond!
Old 15th December 2010, 08:44   #1007
BHPian

Guys having HTC Legend, its time to rejoice. Froyo 2.2 is available OTA. Downloading at the moment!
Old 15th December 2010, 14:23   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I've heard wildfire has more battery drain than Galaxy3.
Wildfire has a better display and performance. I am sure the battery will take a beating. But it's always a balance between performance and battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I am using Galaxy3 since last 15 days and i cannot be more happy with excellent performance, the phone is best buy for android starters, ofcourse people will Galaxy S would say that S is better, but consider the budget, Galaxy 3 is not bad in half the price of S, its certainly worth every penny.
Galaxy 3 is perhaps good for starters on a budget. But apples to apples, 3 and S cannot/should not be compared. You will never know how good a phone is unless you use it. Galaxy S, Nexus one etc are on a different league altogether and yet they only bring out the about 60% of Android potential. I am sure there will be faster brighter model in future that can harness the true power of Android.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:16   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Wildfire has a better display and performance. I am sure the battery will take a beating. But it's always a balance between performance and battery.
You are wrong, Wildfire has inferior display(about 25% less 240 x 320 pixels) Galaxy 3 has 240 x 400 pixels.

And less powerful processor- 528 MHz processor compared to galaxy 3-667 MHz processor.

And battery drains in Wildfire faster since it comes with 1300 mAh as against 1500 mAh of Galaxy 3.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:26   #1010
Senior - BHPian

More than a week now with Galaxy 3.

Some of my views:

1. Though the display is decent for a phone costing 11.5 k, but if you have used Iphone/Ipod touch 2G/3G in the past, you will know that things could have been so much better (ofcourse price is a hinderence, its a budget phone afterall).

2.Battery life is on average 2 - 2.5 days, with 2-3 hours of Wifi, youtube streaming etc.

3.Screen size. Again if you have been used to the iPod touch screen, you will be a disappointed with the size. Playing games like Angry birds on a bigger screen is so much more fun.

4. The good thing about Android itself is that a lot of apps are Free which otherwise cost 0.99 cents and above in the Apple market.

5. Camera of this phone is quite decent. At par with other 3.2 megapixels.

6. Ths front metallic body (steel?) makes the Galaxy 3 quite a looker !

7. I am missing option to Zoom Youtube videos to fit screen size. Ironically, if i download the same video via Besttube and view it via the phone's media player, i can zoom it !

8. The call accept/reject function (touch and slide) is a bit awkward if not cumbersome to use.

9. Can't use "live" wallpapers. They get downloaded and then nowhere to be seen!

Last edited by DCEite : 15th December 2010 at 15:27.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:51   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

i checked tons of reviews on youtube and else where on the Galaxy 3. Find the phone to be a decent gadget. I only have one major doubt here. I use my Gmail & POP3 emails on my E71 using Nokia Email and Vodafone Mobile Connect.

Is it possible to use the same on Galaxy 3? Spoke to a friend and he said only Gmail / Yahoo ids can be used as PUSH email on Galaxy3 / LG Optimus etc.

Thanks

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 15th December 2010 at 15:53.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:00   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
More than a week now with Galaxy 3.

Can't use "live" wallpapers. They get downloaded and then nowhere to be seen!
There is one article in xda forums which talks abouth live wallpapers on galaxy 3. Follow that to configure them.

Once you are done, press the left menu key and select live wallpapers.

I had configured live wallpapers on my i5801 with these steps. Some of them are too good. I was spending lot of my time staring at my mobile screen, so removed them

Regards,
Old 15th December 2010, 16:01   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
correct its still not available in india - install brut maps - get the brut-renamed-tagged.apk
[APPMOD][07.11.10] Brut Google Maps 4.6.0.4686-brut17 - xda-developers
this link goes to a different scree. can you pls let me know which one to download exactly?

Thanks;
Old 15th December 2010, 16:01   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

i checked tons of reviews on Youtube and else where on the Galaxy 3. Find the phone to be a decent gadget. I only have one major doubt here. I use my Gmail & POP3 emails on my E71 using Nokia Email and Vodafone Mobile Connect.

Is it possible to use the same on Galaxy 3? Spoke to a friend and he said only Gmail / Yahoo ids can be used as PUSH email on Galaxy3 / LG Optimus etc.

Thanks
Get http://k9mail.googlecode.com/files/k9-3.400-release.apk or from market. Can be used for push mail for POP3, IMAP and Exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
this link goes to a different scree. can you pls let me know which one to download exactly?

Thanks;
The first link on the screen.

maps4.6.0.4686-brut.apk
md5sum: 456b3fe71f74bb8b76a443be4075473c

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2010 at 19:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:37   #1015
BHPian

Just came across this Times post of 2010 Top 10 of everything. Nexus one is ranked above IPhone 4.

Nexus One - The Top 10 Everything of 2010 - TIME
Old 15th December 2010, 21:28   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea about android app available for icici bank.is anyone using it? I know it has one foster iphone and Nokia. If yes place let me know
Old 15th December 2010, 22:49   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

Thanks;
yes it does if you scroll down you will see the download link for brutmaps - its Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Get it on your phone and enjoy

make sure you get the maps4.6.0.4686-brut-renamed-tagged.apk not maps4.6.0.4686-brut.apk as the later replaces your original google maps while the renamed tagged one allows regular google maps and modified google maps to co-exist!

Last edited by jassi : 15th December 2010 at 22:52.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:47   #1018
BHPian

Is NGPAY application compatible with android phones? I've Nokia E71 and it is compatible with nokia. But on enquiring, found that it is not compatible with android phones. Any thoughts?
Old 16th December 2010, 13:32   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Does anyone have any idea about android app available for icici bank.is anyone using it? I know it has one foster iphone and Nokia. If yes place let me know
There is no official Android App from ICICI. There are 3rd party apps that connect you to ICICI Bank. But with security in mind, you should not use them.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:48   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is NGPAY application compatible with android phones? I've Nokia E71 and it is compatible with nokia. But on enquiring, found that it is not compatible with android phones. Any thoughts?
There is no straight forward way of doing this but this is what worked for me:
  1. Download and install http://www.netmite.com/android/rc/an...dme_signed.apk
  2. Go to Get APK and give the URL http://download.getjar.com/downloads...eclientv53.jar in the option that says "Enter url to a j2me MIDP jad file:" and download the converted apk
  3. Copy the downloaded apk and install on your phone.
  4. You are done. Open the ngpay app on your mobile and use it.

Most Viewed