Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2011, 13:45   #1666

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was initially tilted towards Wildfire because of the higher res camera. But read everywhere that display is pathetic.

Since this will be my first droid phone, I just want to be sure it does not leave any bad taste. Looks like I'll choose P500.

Any really convincing arguments in favour of HTC, other than the slightly stronger brand name, esp in Android phones?
My suggestion would be to wait slightly longer and take a look at some of the newer models that have come out or are shortly coming out. Android phones are evolving so rapidly that a brief wait would be totally worthwhile.

My "hindsight" suggestions, based on usage of Android and Optimus P500:

1. Would have loved to buy a phone with a faster CPU. While 600MHz is okay for most apps, it really is not enough for heavy-duty apps. Believe me, the more you start using Android, the more apps you will download, and very quickly, you will start pushing the hardware limits of your phone. So, I would say, a 800MHz (at least) would be ideal. Same goes for higher capacity RAM.

2. Flash support. Although Android 2.2 supports Flash, it doesn't work on budget phones like P500 because of the weaker CPU.

3. Better resolution - the only problem is, that it usually entails a trade-off with battery life.

4. Gorilla glass, if possible, to avoid scratches.

It might be worthwhile checking out some of the slightly higher priced models like Dell XCD35 or Motorola Defy. In my case, I could not find any shops that had live demo pieces of these phones, and when I was looking around, there was P500 or Galaxy 3 in the 12-13k bracket, and next, there were a bunch of phones in the 25k bracket. There was nothing in-between.
Old 1st February 2011, 15:11   #1667
BANNED

Is the Acer Stream available in India? Seems to to a good phone from the review.
Acer Stream review: White water rafting - GSMArena.com

Another question to the experts. The Android OS has been loaded on the iPhone. Has it been tried out on other touchscreen phones. Like Linux can be loaded on any PC, can Android be loaded on any phone?
Old 1st February 2011, 16:45   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I was initially tilted towards Wildfire because of the higher res camera. But read everywhere that display is pathetic.

Since this will be my first droid phone, I just want to be sure it does not leave any bad taste. Looks like I'll choose P500.

Any really convincing arguments in favour of HTC, other than the slightly stronger brand name, esp in Android phones?
If you can stretch your budget, try out Motorola defy. its a rugged model and is water and dust proof. Available in 18000 Rs. Otherwise wait for the samsung's 4 new android launches in 9-15000Rs category. Latest information is that Galaxy Ace will be available in March at abt 15000 Rs, It has 800 Mhz processor.
Old 1st February 2011, 17:58   #1669
BHPian

IMO, battery is a real pain in LG optimus one. I am getting just 1 day life with the following activities.
30 min. game
15-20 Calls
5-6 sms
2 hour travel
No internet
Old 1st February 2011, 19:39   #1670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
IMO, battery is a real pain in LG optimus one. I am getting just 1 day life with the following activities.
30 min. game
15-20 Calls
5-6 sms
2 hour travel
No internet
The Optimus One actually has one of the best battery lives among Android phones.

You might have a lot of unnecessary apps running in the background that are probably constantly running and sucking up your battery life. Try killing the apps - there are lots of websites that will tell you what/how to kill background apps in Android.

If you haven't done this already, you will probably notice a big improvement in battery life after this. Other things that suck up battery life are active wallpapers.
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:04   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
30 min. game
15-20 Calls
5-6 sms
2 hour travel
No internet
While Android phones in general are not good on the battery backup front, like Asliarun said, O1 is supposed to be good amongst its peers. You have mentioned 15-20 calls, but not mentioned the total duration. That matters more. If they are fairly short calls, and you don't have anything that is abnormally sucking up your battery, you are getting below normal battery life and maybe should take it to a service center.
Old 2nd February 2011, 03:44   #1672
Senior - BHPian

For all looking at optimus one as an option, have a look at huwaei ideos.

http://www.themobilestore.in/mobiles...cel_Ideos.html

runs on froyo cost is 8500/-

i am unable to find one. (there is no listing of this one on flipkart) :(
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:08   #1673
BHPian

For SE Xperia users: Xperia X10 gets pinch-to-zoom update | Android Central
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:58   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
30 min. game
15-20 Calls
5-6 sms
2 hour travel
No internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
While Android phones in general are not good on the battery backup front, like Asliarun said, O1 is supposed to be good amongst its peers. center.
My Nexus S giving 2 days backup still 20% remaining power! My main usage is calling ~ 30 min. Music ~30 min, browsing 30min on wifi. Rarely use other radios (all switched off by default).

I indeed increased battery life by removing AccuWeather app (stupid thing continuously tries to connect net) and changing wall paper from live wallpaper to normal image.

Should I consider battery is great in Android?
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:13   #1675

Where would you get the Nexus S in India? Also, if you've got it from overseas, does the warranty still apply? Further some queries: 1] Is this phone good for multi-tasking ? 2] How is the camera quality v/s Nokia N82 or the LG Optimus One ? I have been using my N82 for over a year now, love the cam. but with some recent screw-up the front speaker is dead. Despite the repair, it ain't working well. If you can help here also I would be highly obliged. But yes I need a new phone - Androido. Despite, I want to move out of Nokia coz can't download their apps via this OVI Store - most nice things come with a price tag! My Usage: Daily Talktime: 3 hours+ SMS: 10 -20 a day GPRS: "a lot" I cross 10mb a month, that too limit myself since I am on vodafone and they are too expensive. Camera: Anytime - i love taking pictures & kinda good at it!! Have some collection at flickr.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:22   #1676
Senior - BHPian

^^ 2 days backup with that much usage is great. My desire gives just more than a day with that kind of usage.

Heard that if you root your phone, you can have apps like 'Set CPU' which can save more battery life by configuring how fast the CPU should work and also by under-volting in different conditions. This is like 'Speed Step' technology for intel chips.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd February 2011 at 12:24.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:33   #1677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
if i am not wrong most of the HU wont support more than 4 GB, i had 8 GB earlier which was not supported in my Galaxy S, but when i removed it and added 2 GB, it worked i did it to just check whether my HU will support or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, one more question here.
Has anybody tried playing music by plugging their HTC wildfire to their Car's HU USB port.
I plugged in the phone through USB, it was charging the phone but didn't read the music in the memory card. I have a 8GB card, and the USB in my Car HU's has read pen drives upto 4Gb. Any thoughts ?
Guys - i have a similar problem on my Galaxy S. Not able to play songs in my car through the usb. How do i resolve it?

Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:33   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Guys, try disabling heptic feedback if you have. I disabled it in my i5801 now the battery life is atleast half a day more.
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:27   #1679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeapYearGuy View Post
Where would you get the Nexus S in India?
Not yet available in India.
Quote:
Also, if you've got it from overseas, does the warranty still apply?
I got it from US of A. Warranty doesn't apply. Considering 1 year warranty, I really don't think I will be concerned.

Quote:
Further some queries: 1] Is this phone good for multi-tasking ? 2] How is the camera quality v/s Nokia N82 or the LG Optimus One ?
1. Not sure if it does real multi tasking. I still have no issue in browsing, play Angry Bird game and Checking /mailing Gmail+chatting in gtalk. I can do all at same time. Though Gtalk, Gmail all available in back end, browser & apps close when you **** to other apps, but resume from where you left.

2. I really didn't test camera. Its good, takes pictures equivalent to Canon S90. Lowlight usage is also good. Can't really compare it with any other phone as I have none. I don't use mobile camera at all. For all photography needs, I have D90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Heard that if you root your phone, you can have apps like 'Set CPU' which can save more battery life by configuring how fast the CPU should work and also by under-volting in different conditions. This is like 'Speed Step' technology for intel chips.
Thanks, I won't go with rooting as it is too complicated for me!

As per Battery use, Display taking 36%, cell standby taking 18%. 1 hour Angry bird game took 10% of battery! I wonder why stand by needs 18%. Android system, Os however took meager 6% & 4%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys, try disabling heptic feedback if you have. I disabled it in my i5801 now the battery life is atleast half a day more.
Thank you. I have done this, will check if it really increases battery life.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:23   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - i have a similar problem on my Galaxy S. Not able to play songs in my car through the usb. How do i resolve it?
Thanks.
NFS, look at page 106 and post no: 1584, by "asliarun", he has given a detailed explanation for the issue and even the solution, but I have not yet tried it. I keep forgetting about it. Will try it and get back to you by this weekend. Meanwhile if you get around this issue, do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have also disabled haptic feedback and my Wildfire easily lasts for 48hrs. I charge is alternate days between 7:30 a.m till 9:00 am and it easily last for 2 days. Can you tell me how to disable the vibrator for the alarm function. I want to disable it. This would further increase the battery life as alarm rings for around 10-15 minutes before i get up and turn it off
My regular usage in these two days are

1) around 1.5- 2 hrs of phone calls.
2) wifi around 3-4 hrs, mostly in nights for surfing andorid markets, gtalk and facebook,
3) games- very little, have not downloaded anything but already on level 28 of TEETER.
4) Messages - max 10 in two days.
5) GPS for around 1 hrs in two days, still trying to make the navigation app work
6) around 15-30 min of video playback at the max.
7) I update weather and news item twice in a day and then read through when time permits.
8) My wifi and GPRS are enabled only when I need it and even the brightness of the screen is set to minimum. I don't have any troubles so far with it.
9) Still exploring and getting used to the phone.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 2nd February 2011 at 14:25.

Most Viewed