Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 10:29   #1816
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I had a very bad experience with the windshield mount that I bought off Deal Extreme (DealExtreme: $6.24 For iPod/MP3/MP4/Cell Phone Windshield Holder)

1. The suction cup has left a round impression on the windshield which after repeated scrubbing refuses to go away
2. Quality of the joints in highly unreliable. On 2nd day of fitting it, as soon as the car went over a speed breaker, the mount fell apart.
3. Finally, I hooked it up in the AC vent. However, now the clip refuses to detach! It left me with a dis-lodged vent clip

Thinking of getting some authentic mount, such as this one from Nokia (eBay India: 100% Original Mount Car Holder CR-115 Nokia C5 E71 E71x (item 270702800834 end time 12-Feb-2011 00:26:12 IST))

Any feedback?
Old 10th February 2011, 11:02   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I had a very bad experience with the windshield mount that I bought off Deal Extreme (DealExtreme: $6.24 For iPod/MP3/MP4/Cell Phone Windshield Holder)

1. The suction cup has left a round impression on the windshield which after repeated scrubbing refuses to go away
2. Quality of the joints in highly unreliable. On 2nd day of fitting it, as soon as the car went over a speed breaker, the mount fell apart.
3. Finally, I hooked it up in the AC vent. However, now the clip refuses to detach! It left me with a dis-lodged vent clip

Thinking of getting some authentic mount, such as this one from Nokia (eBay India: 100% Original Mount Car Holder CR-115 Nokia C5 E71 E71x (item 270702800834 end time 12-Feb-2011 00:26:12 IST))

Any feedback?

Believe it or not, i used the exact same 2 holders. The First one broke off within a month. I got it from a local store for Rs150/-

Then i got the nokia one, again from a local shop, for 250, and its simply awesome. The suction is good, and there are no vibrations. I would fully recommend it.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:16   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Can you please post a picture of the holder? Just wanted to see if that's the same type of holder I have ordered from eBay. (I have ordered the Nokia holder from eBay and awaiting delivery. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Believe it or not, i used the exact same 2 holders. The First one broke off within a month. I got it from a local store for Rs150/-
Then i got the nokia one, again from a local shop, for 250, and its simply awesome. The suction is good, and there are no vibrations. I would fully recommend it.
The Nokia one, in local shops here, is much expensive. The same stuff in eBay is cheaper. But I am not sure if they are shipping the original accessory.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:32   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

The Nokia one, in local shops here, is much expensive. The same stuff in eBay is cheaper. But I am not sure if they are shipping the original accessory.
Ebay price is Rs 325/- I got the same thing for Rs 250/- from cochin. The one i got is an original accessory.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:36   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ebay price is Rs 325/- I got the same thing for Rs 250/- from cochin. The one i got is an original accessory.
How long have you been using it? Does it have the issue of getting detached form the glass?
Old 10th February 2011, 11:39   #1821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How long have you been using it? Does it have the issue of getting detached form the glass?

I've been using it for about 2 month now. And no issues with the grip, despite the fact that i have sun film on my front windscreen. Unlike normal holders, where you just stick on and click a lock, this one has a screw type action to securely attach it to the glass. Also, since there is no long connection between the holder and the suction part, it does not jiggle up and down on bad roads. It stays firm all the time.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:59   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Local shop as in local Nokia Store? Or a local mobile shop?

Btw, Ebay price is Rs 325 but with a discount coupon it can be usually lower by 10%. Btw, any discount coupons floating around?
Quote:
Can you please post a picture of the holder? Just wanted to see if that's the same type of holder I have ordered from eBay. (I have ordered the Nokia holder from eBay and awaiting delivery. )
Picture of the one that I was using is attached.

The listing says its original Nokia. Plus the feedback rating of the seller is high in percentage as well number.
Quote:
I've been using it for about 2 month now. And no issues with the grip, despite the fact that i have sun film on my front windscreen. Unlike normal holders, where you just stick on and click a lock, this one has a screw type action to securely attach it to the glass. Also, since there is no long connection between the holder and the suction part, it does not jiggle up and down on bad roads. It stays firm all the time.
Does the lack of long connection hamper visibility? I need to securely place my E71 and use it as GPS so Im worried how clearly I'll be able to see! (I drive a Getz and its got a spacious dash!)
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mount1.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mount2.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mount3.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mount4.jpg  

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 10th February 2011 at 12:01.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:50   #1823
BHPian

Just placed an order for HTC desire (sealed box with 1yr HTC warranty) on Ebay.in for Rs.22250/-.

They are running a valentines day promo where you get free gifts for your purchases. For purchases above 20k, they have a 500GB HDD or a Digital cam free. I opted for the 500GB HDD. Am sure it costs around 3k.

So, effective price - Rs. 19225/-

Now, its my turn to wait for the phone & the free HDD to arrive
Old 11th February 2011, 07:44   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Just placed an order for HTC desire (sealed box with 1yr HTC warranty) on Ebay.in for Rs.22250/-.
They are running a valentines day promo where you get free gifts for your purchases. For purchases above 20k, they have a 500GB HDD or a Digital cam free. I opted for the 500GB HDD. Am sure it costs around 3k.
So, effective price - Rs. 19225/-
Now, its my turn to wait for the phone & the free HDD to arrive
Very good deal that is, of course if the gift is included. Flipkart prices for desire now dropped to 21999/-
Old 11th February 2011, 09:43   #1825
BHPian

Galaxy tab 2 coming & Dell Streak pricing

Was about to buy the Samsung Galaxy tab, but had to postpone it as an upgraded one with better screen and features would be unveiled in a few hours.

Good news both ways as even if they keep selling the old model, price would drop further.

And just wondering what the Dell sales team is thinking to keep the Streak price at a whooping 33,500. I don't think the Streak would move from showcases unless they reprice it around 25,000 given what competetiors are offering.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 11th February 2011 at 10:11.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:58   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
In my phone these are the two items that eats up most of the battery!

Android system - 45%
Cell standby - 20%
Others are display, phone idle, maps, compass etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
As per Battery use, Display taking 36%, cell standby taking 18%. 1 hour Angry bird game took 10% of battery! I wonder why stand by needs 18%. Android system, Os however took meager 6% & 4%!

Thank you. I have done this, will check if it really increases battery life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I have also disabled haptic feedback and my Wildfire easily lasts for 48hrs. I charge is alternate days between 7:30 a.m till 9:00 am and it easily last for 2 days.
Well well well, last battery recharge lasted 4 days with still 30% to be used! Though I must admit, due to work pressure phone is used only as phone! No wifi, songs or games! Only yesterday wifi is used for about an hour.

30% lasted for 2 hours of Angry bird game! Guess Android platform improved battery performance!

Gurus! Needs your help in making offline map available on gingerbread. Download Brute Maps. However Gingerbread refused install it even when security setting disabled. Any other way for me to use maps without data plan?

Last edited by RaguHolla : 11th February 2011 at 10:34. Reason: Added question regarding offline maps!
Old 11th February 2011, 12:31   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Gurus! Needs your help in making offline map available on gingerbread. Download Brute Maps. However Gingerbread refused install it even when security setting disabled. Any other way for me to use maps without data plan?
The stock google maps has a prefetch option. Go to Cache Settings > Prefetch on mobile. However this prefetches and stores the maps once it is loaded. So everytime you go to a place, the location tiles are stored in your phone.

See the link: http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/ Also, Brut maps offer turn by turn navigation though which is not available on stock google maps for India yet.

But instead, get something like Sygic 10 with mapmyindia maps. Works great on 2.2 and 2.3. Not sure about 2.1.

Hope this helps.

Just to add another of Google's' newest tricks. Any Sudoku fans around? They should try Google Goggles. It solves Sudoku puzzles almost instantly. Show off your Sudoku solving skills now

Watch a demo:

Last edited by patron : 11th February 2011 at 12:40.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:42   #1828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well well well, last battery recharge lasted 4 days with still 30% to be used! Though I must admit, due to work pressure phone is used only as phone! No wifi, songs or games! Only yesterday wifi is used for about an hour.

30% lasted for 2 hours of Angry bird game! Guess Android platform improved battery performance!
4 days battery life is awesome!

Coming to Angry Birds, I have got the PC version of the game working after solving it's dependency dll problem, so my phone is relieved!
Old 11th February 2011, 21:12   #1829
BHPian

Quote:
4 days battery life is awesome!

Coming to Angry Birds, I have got the PC version of the game working after solving it's dependency dll problem, so my phone is relieved!
Would you share this version with mates on T-Bhp ?

Cheers
Old 12th February 2011, 11:55   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Would you share this version with mates on T-Bhp ?

Cheers
Download Angry Birds For PC | www.loqmankarim.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks