Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2011, 13:00   #4066
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey guys,

Could anyone please tell me the best Droid within a max budget of 13k? My only requirements are that it should have 3G + WiFi (front cam not necessary),Android v2.3 Gingerbread and preferably a good quality body. I plan to use the phone for atleast two years so reliability is important. Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 19th June 2011, 14:01   #4067

Install Gingerbread on Spice Mi 410 now [Official build from Huawei X6 variant]
Related XDA Thread [Q] can someone make custom rom for WellcoM A99 (Huawei U9000 Ideos X6) - xda-developers Source Install Gingerbread on Spice Mi 410 now [Official build from Huawei X6 variant] | AndroidOS.in

Being Spice Mi 410 owner, you would probably be knowing that it is originally Huawei Ideos X6. Being an OEM device, X6 has been released in various countries under different names and recently one of these variants Cherry Mobile Magnum HD got the official Gingerbread update.

As Spice Mi 410 and Magnum HD are the exact same devices, this stock Gingerbread build works on Mi 410 without any problems. So, if you can’t wait for Spice to release Android 2.3 for you, here is your chance.

It might void your warranty and you must not perform the following actions unless you are very sure of what you are doing.

Download the update file from here http://www.cherrymobile.com.ph/downl...areupdate2.zip
  • Extract the ZIP file.
  • Copy the file FB0-318B-0-5019-A01.nb0 to your SD card. Make sure it is placed in the root folder (not saved in a folder)
  • Insert the SD card to your device.
  • To enter bootloader mode, press and hold volume up + down + power buttons until you see the image of the Android logo.
  • Press ‘Home’key to show the update utility. Use the volume buttons to select the option “Download nb0 from SD card”.
  • Press ‘back arrow’ to confirm.
  • Upgrade will start. You can see the progress of the update while you wait.
  • Your Spice Mi 410 is now update to Android 2.3.4.
Old 19th June 2011, 17:25   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys,

Could anyone please tell me the best Droid within a max budget of 13k? My only requirements are that it should have 3G + WiFi (front cam not necessary),Android v2.3 Gingerbread and preferably a good quality body. I plan to use the phone for atleast two years so reliability is important. Thanks a lot guys!!
The Wildfire S . I just played with one today at Croma, def VFM.
Old 19th June 2011, 18:32   #4069
Senior - BHPian

^^^How do you define VFM? Comparing with the Optimus One, all that the Wildfire S offers is Gorilla Glass, higher MP cam (which according to reviews is not that great). On the other hand it gives a lower capacity battery. One of my friends bought one about a week ago and his battery is not lasting even from morning till late evening (With everything turned off and several short calls). If this is worth the significantly higher price tag is for buyers to decide.

That said, the Optimus One has a series problem with dust with no clear indication that it has been solved even in newer handsets.

Speed.Demon, would suggest you increase your budget slightly and go for the Defy. But don't count on Moto for the 2.3 update.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:23   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Defy owners: I need some guidance---sorry for being so naive. I was waiting for the Froyo update from Motorola, but I am not sure how long that will take. I looked into the link posted by phamilyman to the xda forum on how to upgrade to CM7 from Eclair, but was puzzled with words like the following:-
  1. ROM---is this 'read-only-memory'?
  2. Flashing the phone---what the heck is this?
  3. I've seen several unix commands listed in the xda guide--but where does one type them--on the laptop or on the phone device?
  4. Rebooting---does this involve switching the phone off and on again?
Further, what are the main benefits of going to CM7?

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th June 2011, 20:48   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Defy owners: I need some guidance---sorry for being so naive. I was waiting for the Froyo update from Motorola, but I am not sure how long that will take. I looked into the link posted by phamilyman to the xda forum on how to upgrade to CM7 from Eclair, but was puzzled with words like the following:-
[*]ROM---is this 'read-only-memory'?[*]Flashing the phone---what the heck is this?[*]I've seen several unix commands listed in the xda guide--but where does one type them--on the laptop or on the phone device?[*]Rebooting---does this involve switching the phone off and on again?Further, what are the main benefits of going to CM7?

Thanks in advance.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...title=Glossary
patron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 21:06   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Thanks. But the link only answers what ROM is, and my guess was correct.

What about the other questions? Can anyone help?
Old 19th June 2011, 21:34   #4073
Senior - BHPian

Any leedroid users out there? I am going to try that rom. Been reading that it is the best rom for desire, and gives HUGE battery improvement. I guess that needs a new radio rom to be flashed, but afraid to try that because that's the only thing that can brick your phone. anyone done that yet?

Btw, I am now happy with cm7 because it started giving me decent battery life after some tweaks on display settings and after installing juice defender.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th June 2011 at 21:36.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:02   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Any leedroid users out there? I am going to try that rom. Been reading that it is the best rom for desire, and gives HUGE battery improvement. I guess that needs a new radio rom to be flashed, but afraid to try that because that's the only thing that can brick your phone. anyone done that yet?

Btw, I am now happy with cm7 because it started giving me decent battery life after some tweaks on display settings and after installing juice defender.
Leedroid is supposed to be good. Tried it for couple of days and shifted to Reflex S! Flashing a radio does not brick your phone unless you flash an irrelevant radio!

MIUI is one of the most stable ROMs for the desire if you can live with the 'iPhone' resembling interface!
Old 19th June 2011, 22:06   #4075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56

Leedroid is supposed to be good. Tried it for couple of days and shifted to Reflex S! Flashing a radio does not brick your phone unless you flash an irrelevant radio!

MIUI is one of the most stable ROMs for the desire if you can live with the 'iPhone' resembling interface!
Thanks pulsar. Why did you change from leedroid?

I love the animation smoothness that you get in iPhone! if an android rom can give it, then great!

A screenshot off my desire taken just now. Decent battery life right?
Attached Images

Last edited by clevermax : 19th June 2011 at 22:09.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:16   #4076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I love the animation smoothness that you get in iPhone! if an android rom can give it, then great!

That's an awesome battery life.
I am on 3G for 24hrs a day with the speed of 2mbps (unlimited plan) here at Singapore.
No matter what ROM I use, the battery gets drained in maximum of 7-8 hours and I plug in my phone for charging whenever I get a chance!
I shifted from Leedroid to Reflex S as it is developed by Neophyte and has the Sense 3.0 interface whereas Leedroid ROM is still on the old Sense.

P.S: This ROM is not perfect too! There are problems like, the icons disappear after the app is moved to SD and some of the widgets disappeared (evernote & expense manager) though the apps are still working fine.

Last edited by pulsar56 : 19th June 2011 at 22:22.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:32   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Sirji is it as simple to setup as RC0 over CM 7. Push in the zip,reboot,clear all cache and install,or does it require wiping the data as well. Also,how do we revert back to RC0. Does the aGps work. Thanks in advance. Any screenshot of your stunning phone will help.
Its the standard MIUI theme images.
Screenshot von MIUI aufm Defy /@bobbes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
[ROM]MIUI-US 1.6.10 English [10/06/11] - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys,

Defy, spice (excl the brand), desire (if u got the budget a bit farther). All online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
  1. ROM---is this 'read-only-memory'?
  2. Flashing the phone---what the heck is this?
  3. I've seen several unix commands listed in the xda guide--but where does one type them--on the laptop or on the phone device?
  4. Rebooting---does this involve switching the phone off and on again?
Further, what are the main benefits of going to CM7?

Thanks in advance.
You DONT need to do ANY unix command directly.
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers
Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding

If in doubt, PM

Quote:

Old 19th June 2011, 22:44   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56

P.S: This ROM is not perfect too! There are problems like, the icons disappear after the app is moved to SD and some of the widgets disappeared (evernote & expense manager) though the apps are still working fine.
I had this problem of widgets disappearing. I moved them to phone and they were back again in the list.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th June 2011 at 22:45.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:52   #4079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

I had this problem of widgets disappearing. I moved them to phone and they were back again in the list.
I will try and see if it works with reflex s. Haven't got the time even to sleep peacefully for the past few weeks.

I did not like CM7 as it was too basic and shifting from sense UI to cm7 is not so easy.
Old 19th June 2011, 22:55   #4080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I noticed the Nexus S dropped from ~26k to 19.9k in the last few weeks too!

A few weeks back it was priced higher than the Galaxy S (22k) by a few grand, now its about 2k less... I wonder if the lack of that microSD card is hurting it a little?
WHOA - very shady.

The reason for this price drop is that the Nexus S now comes with an LCD screen, not the original AMOLED!

Atleast the Galaxy S changed its name a little when they ran short of AMOLED panels and started using LCDs, the Nexus S however still goes by exactly the same name - so watchout!

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed