Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 13:16   #8521
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Surprised to hear that you feel that ICS on Nexus S is smoother and faster than earlier GB on Nexus S.
My nexus s is fastest ever now, on ICS. This is after 4.0.4 update. All stock, unrooted. Have 45 apps installed and not a single reboot till now.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:27   #8522
BHPian

Planning to get the Motorola Atrix 2. I want to make use of the high speed internet access (3G? 4G?) as well. My concerns are how good is the motorola service network in india. and also anybody knows of any existing issue in long term ownerships?

PS: not really interested interested in Samsung or HTC as they have become too common.

Edit: also in terms of memory card I would like to go for a minimum 16gb card. I am not able to understand class 10 or class 4 etc. any help?

Last edited by sai_ace : 11th April 2012 at 13:28. Reason: mem card query
Old 11th April 2012, 13:59   #8523
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to update:
- I moved to CM9 ICS Beta ROM yesterday night on my Samsung Galaxy Ace
- Phone has become incredibly faster than the CM7.2 GB 2.3.7 that I was previously running
- Camera is not working, but that's fine for me for now
- ICS looks and feels waaaaaay better than GB
- UI is smoother and jitter / lag free

TB did a great job of helping me not lose any data or app! But, I have a major ball with TB - It asks me to press "Install" and then "Done" for every single App that it restores back! Did that for 94 Apps in total!!!!! :-(
Old 11th April 2012, 14:01   #8524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
TB did a great job of helping me not lose any data or app! But, I have a major ball with TB - It asks me to press "Install" and then "Done" for every single App that it restores back! Did that for 94 Apps in total!!!!! :-(
Purchase the donate version for 6 USD and you can do away with all the hassle.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:02   #8525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Planning to get the Motorola Atrix 2. I want to make use of the high speed internet access (3G? 4G?) as well. My concerns are how good is the motorola service network in india. and also anybody knows of any existing issue in long term ownership.
I bought it a month back. It was not available on shops. Got it through Flipkart. They sent me an address of one the service guys in Bangalore.
I dont play with S/W and just use it out of the box and that too office usage.

For that I get about 1.5 days of battery life, which is pretty good. In terms of long term ownerships, we need to go through it to find out.
There is no other route I guess.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:06   #8526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Purchase the donate version for 6 USD and you can do away with all the hassle.
Why should I pay?

I would rather be on the Apple stack if I had to buy stuff!
Old 11th April 2012, 14:32   #8527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should I pay?
I would rather be on the Apple stack if I had to buy stuff!
You mean you will happily pay for Apple apps but won't pay and get apps for Android? Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
My nexus s is fastest ever now, on ICS. This is after 4.0.4 update. All stock, unrooted. Have 45 apps installed and not a single reboot till now.
Okay, may be my friend's NexusS is not properly updated or having some issues. I am 100% sure that his phone was way smoother with GB.

Just to be clear, how do you define the phone being fast? ICS seemed fast at its heart but the graphics wasn't smooth in the Nexus S I used. App drawer scrolling, opening of apps etc. was not butter smooth like before.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th April 2012 at 14:37.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:33   #8528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Planning to get the Motorola Atrix 2. I want to make use of the high speed internet access (3G? 4G?) as well. My concerns are how good is the motorola service network in india. and also anybody knows of any existing issue in long term ownerships?

PS: not really interested interested in Samsung or HTC as they have become too common.

Edit: also in terms of memory card I would like to go for a minimum 16gb card. I am not able to understand class 10 or class 4 etc. any help?
I just got the Atrix 2 and it is a nice phone. It's fast and snappy and I'm loving it so far. I finally bought it off a retail store as they were selling at 21700 (Rs.500 lower than letsbuy).

For memory cards, the class defines how fast the data can be read/written. The higher the class faster the read/write speed, hence a faster phone.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 11th April 2012 at 14:42.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:03   #8529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean you will happily pay for Apple apps but won't pay and get apps for Android? Why is that?
1. You can call me a quirky/eccentric/mad/stupid/whatever... customer/user. A bit like the typical Linux user's mindset, who usually Dual Boots into Linux. :-)

2. If I am on Android, it is because I want the flexibility to play around, and I don't want to pay for it either. It's far from a finished product and far from perfect so I don't want to pay for it just yet. It is getting there rapidly though. There is no guarantee that the day I update my ROM, an App would continue to work. Google doesn't yet wield as great a control on Developers, as Apple does, and that cuts consumers in both a good way and bad!

3. I buy Apple devices, because overall the devices are neat, great to show off, and the software is beautifully integrated to the hardware. So YES, I'll buy, and also live with limitations on that stack. I do have an iPad and an iPod Touch! By the way, I'd also pay for the Mango stack, just to support Microsoft's brilliant effort after a series of disasters. :-D

4. Being on Android is my idea of Free Software and, notwithstanding all the GYAN Richard Stalman would want to propagate on Free Software, my view of Free = No Money.

Most importantly, a lot of the guys I see around me, also think exactly the same way. So, at least, I'm not the only stupid guy out there.
And the App Devs can keep trying to make money out of "Donate" or Ads.

Last edited by roy_libran : 11th April 2012 at 15:09. Reason: Typos
Old 11th April 2012, 15:09   #8530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. You can call me a quirky/eccentric/mad/stupid/whatever... customer/user. A bit like the typical Linux user's mindset, who usually Dual Boots into Linux. :-)

2. If I am on Android, it is because I want the flexibility to play around, and I don't want to pay for it either. It's far from a finished product and far from perfect so I don't want to pay for it just yet. It is getting there rapidly thuogh. There is no guarantee that the day I update my ROM, an App would continue to work.

3. I buy Apple devices, because overall the devices are neat, great to show off, and the software ------------------------sssssssssssnipppp------------------nly stupid guy out there.
One quick thing first:
You'retalking about TB, and youre talking about guarantees on whether the app will work when you change roms.

With that out of the way, well, its not as if the developer has restricted the app in some way.
Its just that you have to carry out the same action for each restore.
probably not as comfortable as everything being "automatic", but comfort does have a cost, eh?
I wouldn't mind paying out to a developer who's app had seriously made a difference, say the TB guy, or the aCar guy.

Just saying, not pointing fingers.
except this one

Last edited by mayankk : 11th April 2012 at 15:15.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:16   #8531
BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to update:

Me too faced the same problem. Had to restore some 87 apps in similar fashion. There sure seems to be an issue with TB on ICS.
I also feel ICS is faster and slicker than GB on my Incredible-1. Has a smaller footprint on RAM (about 200MB free compared with 120-130 MB free on GB). And yes, ICS is better too.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:23   #8532
BHPian

Quote:

Just to be clear, how do you define the phone being fast? ICS seemed fast at its heart but the graphics wasn't smooth in the Nexus S I used. App drawer scrolling, opening of apps etc. was not butter smooth like before.
Apps scrolling is faster, non laggy. Opening of apps is immediate except for angry birds, shows loading for about 5 sec. Now 1GB+ movies in mkv, avi and mp4 formats open and play smoother than before.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:48   #8533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One quick thing first:
You'retalking about TB, and youre talking about guarantees on whether the app will work when you change roms.

With that out of the way, well, its not as if the developer has restricted the app in some way.
Its just that you have to carry out the same action for each restore.
probably not as comfortable as everything being "automatic", but comfort does have a cost, eh?
I wouldn't mind paying out to a developer who's app had seriously made a difference, say the TB guy, or the aCar guy.

Just saying, not pointing fingers.
except this one
I'm an IT guy, and I think it is not a far-fetched idea for the developer to make this automatic. He can put up a List first and ask the user to apply the filter he wants. After all, the Dev. does this for most other features, but not this?

By the way, I'm not averse to paying the TB guy, just averse to paying for any software on Android right now.
This is what it is, for now for me, and I guess, would change as time goes by, as the platform matures further.
When I decide that it is good enough to pay for, I will!
I do donate, by the way.
:-)

Last edited by roy_libran : 11th April 2012 at 15:54.
Old 11th April 2012, 16:00   #8534
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Note for wife and upgraded my Galaxy i9003 to 2.3 Gingerbread. The Note is quiet big device and the graphics is just amazing.

Have been observing the battery life after 2.3 upgrade, read somewhere that the 2.3, is softer on battery and it lasts longer. Does not seem to be so in my phone though.
Old 11th April 2012, 17:35   #8535
Senior - BHPian

Hows the CM9 shaping up? The last I heard was that everything was working fine, including the camera for taking pictures, but the camcorder is not working. Anybody using CM9 can comment on this for the latest build?

Most Viewed