Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 23:00   #9391
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

With S3 available for shopping all over Internet, I think this offer from Buytheprice.com looks attractive...

Rs.38,900
(inclusive of all taxes)
Skullcandy Low Rider Headphones worth Rs.2149/-
and Buytheprice vouchers worth Rs.1000/-

Last edited by ghpk : 31st May 2012 at 23:11.
Old 31st May 2012, 23:41   #9392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk
With S3 available for shopping all over Internet, I think this offer from Buytheprice.com looks attractive...

Rs.38,900
(inclusive of all taxes)
Skullcandy Low Rider Headphones worth Rs.2149/-
and Buytheprice vouchers worth Rs.1000/-
Yep and with icici card they are giving at 36.2k. But are their service reliable?

I feel pity for apple sometimes. After all the dollars it managed to spend on patent suits, their phone with every generation continues to look the same, whereas other manufacturers have kept on innovating.

Some ways i like apple in a sense that it is something negative to create something very positive as in competition. It tries to cut out the competition but manages to make the competition even better. Macbook air might have been the first ultrabook but with recent launches my god such stunners of ultrabooks have been released more powerful than the macbook air. Same in case of AIO pcs and iMacs. And same for the iPhone and other non iPhones.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 31st May 2012 at 23:56.
Old 1st June 2012, 01:10   #9393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Sony has released ICS 4.0.4 for Neo V.

The updated package is just 20mb in size and version number is 4.1.B.0.431.
20 MB! are you sure? Mine is 227.7MB for Xperia Ray!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-ss1.png

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 1st June 2012, 02:27   #9394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Cheers!

Vinu
Awesome... so its out for the Ray too? Do let us know of your observations post the upgrade.
Old 1st June 2012, 08:28   #9395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy SIII, the company's flagship phone in India. The phone that is powered by the latest version Android called Ice Cream Sandwich has an MRP of Rs 43,180.
Quote:
It comes in two colours. The white model will be available immediately. According to the company the pebble Blue version has been delayed. It will come to the market in a few weeks time.

Samsung launches Galaxy SIII @ Rs 43,180 - The Times of India
Old 1st June 2012, 08:52   #9396
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!

Vinu
Mine is Neo V and this is the second ICS update, so it must be incremental update. Neo V already got ICS 4.0.3 about a month back. This update I got yesterday is ICS 4.0.4 which you are also getting now. That's why the size difference.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:05   #9397
Senior - BHPian

I finally updated my s2 to official XWLP7 (4.0.3). Things have been running smooth and I think its a great official firmware (better than 2.3.6 which I personally feel was unstable). I rooted the same and can anyone direct me to remove the yellow triangle from bootup? Also, has anyone tried CM9 or MIUI on the S2?
Old 1st June 2012, 09:11   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Neo V and this is the second ICS update, so it must be incremental update. Neo V already got ICS 4.0.3 about a month back. This update I got yesterday is ICS 4.0.4 which you are also getting now. That's why the size difference.
Hello Gandhi, what all improvements you noticed over 4.0.3? UI is lag-free now? A colleague of mine updated his brand new Neo V right away and was not so happy with the laggy UI.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:27   #9399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Hello Gandhi, what all improvements you noticed over 4.0.3? UI is lag-free now? A colleague of mine updated his brand new Neo V right away and was not so happy with the laggy UI.
I wouldn't say the UI is laggy but the application launch time has increased since gingerbread. Once an app is loaded, it works really smooth. I've not got enough time to explore differences between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4, I'll post an update post weekend.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:10   #9400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But when compared to Defy/Defy+, Xperia Go display provides wet finger tracking. Also we can safety say that the image, video and music quality would be better in a Sony phone as compared to a similar price Motorola phone.

Finally, Sony's UI feels more polished. This again is a matter of personal preference.
Some perspective from my side. I am using a Defy for last one year. Switched to CM 7.1 around 6-8 months ago.
1. We have two phones on the same cellular network. Signal strength on Defy is always higher than on the other one (Micromax Q55).
2. There is no electro-magnetic interference (EMI) when the phone is kept close to my desktop speakers. Most other phones (including from Samsung) seem to introduce this EMI when kept at the same place.
3. Earlier I had network issue after changing to CM 7.1. This was fixed by using the proper baseband. Now, the phone works well even inside elevators in our office, whereas other phones simply drop calls.
Of course, there are various factors, like service provider network strength, which matter, but generally speaking, the performance in terms of network will not let you down.
So, for someone looking for a *phone*, this won't disappoint you.
Another aspect, even after using this phone for long calls, my ear does not start paining.
I compared this to Sony Xperia Ray owned by my brother in law. The phone runs warm even without doing anything. A short call is enough to make my ear warm. This is not suitable for long calls. You then need to use bluetooth.
Sony is making more such slim phones and they all have heating issue.
Another aspect is touch screen.
I have tried several touch screen phones owned by people around me. The experience has not been good for the following: Sony Xperia Ray, Xperia Arc, Blu Studio, Samsung Galaxy Y.
Here I am comparing with my Defy.

But for those looking at the latest, we should not be even thinking of Defy/plus, since it is outdated now.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:56   #9401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Do let us know of your observations post the upgrade.
Quote:
Mine is also an incremental update. I had updated my Ray to ICS 4.0.3 around 40 days back.

I am really loving ICS over GB. Battery was never a problem for me. Always close to 3 days. I believe 4.0.4 update had refined all area further. By the way I could now move Wisepilot to SD card and more RAM is free.

Cheers!
Old 1st June 2012, 11:13   #9402
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is also an incremental update. I had updated my Ray to ICS 4.0.3 around 40 days back.
That's strange. Also, I got this update over the air. I didn't have to connect my Neo V to my Mac to update to this version. I just downloaded the update to phone via Wifi directly.

Quote:
By the way I could now move Wisepilot to SD card and more RAM is free.

Cheers!
You can uninstall WisePilot and some of the other crap that Sony has pushed on your phone. You don't need to root your phone to uninstall WisePilot, UEFA, WhatsApp, and some more.

Last edited by Gandhi : 1st June 2012 at 11:17.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:17   #9403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can uninstall WisePilot and some of the other crap that Sony has pushed on your phone. You don't need to root your phone to uninstall WisePilot, UEFA, WhatsApp, and some more.
I won't classify WhatsApp as a crappy app... I do a lot of free messaging in that with friends all over the world.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:23   #9404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I won't classify WhatsApp as a crappy app... I do a lot of free messaging in that with friends all over the world.
I didn't mean it that way. I don't use it, so for me it's same as other junk Sony decided to put on my phone. No offense meant to WhatsApp users.

Some update on ICS 4.0.4 experience so far. App loading time has defintely reduced, so on that front. For example, settings, dialer, contacts, Temple Run, everything loads faster than earlier.

Battery consumption *seems* to be reduced. Right now my phone is at 87% and Go Power Master is showing 34 hours of remaining time. It never showed more than 28 hours on ICS 4.0.3.

EDIT: I just noticed that all the unwanted apps I had removed earlier are back - WisePilot, WhatsApp, UEFA.com, McAfee Security to name a few. I wonder how much they crammed into a 20mb update.

Last edited by Gandhi : 1st June 2012 at 12:29.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:22   #9405
BHPian

Just updated my Note to ICS via PC Odin.

Do I need to do a reset? If so how? And what data will I lose?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks