Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 17:06   #14686
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone using LG Optimus L9 here? How is your experience with the phone. Was planning to get one for my dad as a gift. I found it to be very good specs wise for a budget under 20k.

I didnt wanted to give him a Micromax or Karbonn or Xolo. Samsung Grand was too bulky and screen resolution sucks.
Old 25th April 2013, 17:14   #14687
BHPian

I bought L9 a fortnight back from Homeshop18 superdeals for 14995/-. Got a LG branded flip cover in the box. I think for its price, it is an awesome phone. Dual core processor, 1 GB RAM and 4.7"screen, upgradable to 4.1.2 and very good display.

Last edited by Navneet : 25th April 2013 at 17:15.
Old 25th April 2013, 17:22   #14688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
I bought L9 a fortnight back from Homeshop18 superdeals for 14995/-. Got a LG branded flip cover in the box. I think for its price, it is an awesome phone. Dual core processor, 1 GB RAM and 4.7"screen, upgradable to 4.1.2 and very good display.
Wow, for 14995/-, that must be a steal. How is the performance? Any lags? Howz the camera?
Old 25th April 2013, 17:30   #14689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Wow, for 14995/-, that must be a steal. How is the performance? Any lags? Howz the camera?
It is periodically available on Homeshop18 for 15K. Performance is good. No lags. Camera performance, though, is nothing to write home about.
Old 25th April 2013, 18:08   #14690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Anyone using LG Optimus L9 here? How is your experience with the phone. Was planning to get one for my dad as a gift. I found it to be very good specs wise for a budget under 20k.

I didnt wanted to give him a Micromax or Karbonn or Xolo. Samsung Grand was too bulky and screen resolution sucks.
If you keep an eye on HS18, LG phone offers do keep poping up.

I had seen LG 4X HD there for around 22k. I too feel LG phones are pretty well built and speced for the price. Its just that the branding / marketing isnt as nicely done as its competitors. I am myself using 4X for over 4 months now and no complaints at all. i paid $372 for this and find it absolute VFM.

I would say keep checking on HS18 for deals and go ahead with your purchase.

Regards,
Old 25th April 2013, 19:48   #14691
BHPian

Google play store apps (paid) - Are they device specific or google account specific? Can I use them in a new device after I have purchased and installed them in a different device?
Old 25th April 2013, 20:01   #14692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Google play store apps (paid) - Are they device specific or google account specific? Can I use them in a new device after I have purchased and installed them in a different device?
They are account specific.
Whichever device you link yup your account will have them
Old 26th April 2013, 11:26   #14693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
EDIT: Its 11:35 AM and the Note 2 is now fully charged. The countdown starts now. Will share the updates as time progresses.
Exactly 24 hours post full charge, the battery stands at 72% capacity.

Stats:
1) 7 phone calls (average ~1.2 mins talk time)
2) 10 SMSs
3) 3G internet - 30 mins
4) 2G internet - 15 mins
5) Game play - 50 mins

Overall screen ON time: ~3 hours ( including changing themes, wallpapers, launchers, screen tranistions, etc...)

Samsung Galaxy S4 to be launched in another 30 minutes. Who's up for grabs!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 26th April 2013 at 11:27.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:42   #14694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly 24 hours post full charge, the battery stands at 72% capacity.

Stats:
1) 7 phone calls (average ~1.2 mins talk time)
2) 10 SMSs
3) 3G internet - 30 mins
4) 2G internet - 15 mins
5) Game play - 50 mins

Overall screen ON time: ~3 hours ( including changing themes, wallpapers, launchers, screen tranistions, etc...)
Wow! You're getting superb battery life. Unfortunately I probably get half of what you do. At the end of 24 hours my phone battery is about 50% with moderate use and no gaming.

I think the battery capacity has dropped big time. The phone is 6 months old - had purchased it end Oct or early Nov '12 IIRC. Cannot remember the exact date

PS - let me do a proper test and revert after 24 hours have elapsed. The phone was taken off the charger at 7:30 am today at a 100% SOC. Let me see what the battery shows tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Samsung Galaxy S4 to be launched in another 30 minutes. Who's up for grabs!
Not me I am waiting for the Note 3. The Notes are better specced than the S series.

The Note 2 phone has been the best I have used so far even when compared to benchmarks like the SGS3 and Apple IP4/4s. Though I am not a fan of the plastic build.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th April 2013 at 11:45.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:52   #14695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Wow! You're getting superb battery life. Unfortunately I probably get half of what you do. At the end of 24 hours my phone battery is about 50% with moderate use and no gaming.

I think the battery capacity has dropped big time. The phone is 6 months old - had purchased it end Oct or early Nov '12 IIRC. Cannot remember the exact date

Though I am not a fan of the plastic build.
R2D2

Did you do the OTA upgrade (~30 MB IIRC) which was released last week? Only after this upgrade, the battery life has gone bonkers, in the right sense.

I totally agree with you regarding the build quality of Samsung phones, especially the rear body covers. The plastic can't get any thinner than this I think. At 35k+ cost, the Note 2 deserved a super sturdy case ideally. I already have faded patches on the rear cover of the phone, where the body touches any surface. Good that I replaced the OE cover with the Flipcover. I can afford to replace the flipcover once a year.

I am a big fan of the Lumia 920 in this respect. Amazing build quality I must say. Even the iPhone 4S has better build quality than the Note 2 IMO.

Regarding S4, Samsung is launching the ultra-fast OCTA core version in India. Man, my Note 2 itself is lightning fast, I cannot imagine what those 8 cores can achieve.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:04   #14696
Senior - BHPian

I got 1 day, 17 hours and 11 Sec after the update on Note 2 before it came to 15% level and then I continued to browse T-BHP last night for an hour or so untill it fell to 5%.

About S4 I don't want to say much but remember the processor clock/ core race of last 2 decades in Win-Tel world as the processing power increases software groups design code to utilize the MIPS and get paid for the same so over a period you see no perceptible changes but small incremental changes I think Android is entering same phase.

One thing Samsung is first to launch phones with it's own processor and other 2 major processor vendors so all the features, fixes and stablization done in both hardware and software benifits followers in ecosystem.

So premium thus is not for almunium back or carbon fiber or for water proofing but for the huge army of engineers around the world who work round the clock. And no the features and stablization does not mean touchwiz UX.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:25   #14697
BANNED

Quote:
R2D2

Regarding S4, Samsung is launching the ultra-fast OCTA core version in India. Man, my Note 2 itself is lightning fast, I cannot imagine what those 8 cores can achieve.
The S4 actually has two quad core processors.
A High performance A15 and a Low Power A7 Cortex.

Both of these don't function at the same time, at least not for now.
So in effect it is still a Quad-Core at any point of time, but the Cortex A-15 is much powerful than the Cortex A-9 in most of the previous Exynos Chipsets.

P.S.- The Cortex A7 (the low power) is same as that on the budget Quad-cores on the market, so just keep in Mind the A7 is also not a snail(It is a little behind the A9)

BTW, are any of you Note II users using screenguards on your devices? I am planning to buy a Note 8.0 , but it doesn't even have Gorilla Glass(not that it is really scratch-proof), so i would buy a screenguard, but I am afraid a bad one may spoil the S-pen experience. Also Matte or Glossy?

Last edited by agambhandari : 26th April 2013 at 12:32.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:54   #14698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The S4 actually has two quad core processors.
A High performance A15 and a Low Power A7 Cortex.

Both of these don't function at the same time, at least not for now.
So in effect it is still a Quad-Core at any point of time, but the Cortex A-15 is much powerful than the Cortex A-9 in most of the previous Exynos Chipsets.

P.S.- The Cortex A7 (the low power) is same as that on the budget Quad-cores on the market, so just keep in Mind the A7 is also not a snail(It is a little behind the A9)

BTW, are any of you Note II users using screenguards on your devices? I am planning to buy a Note 8.0 , but it doesn't even have Gorilla Glass(not that it is really scratch-proof), so i would buy a screenguard, but I am afraid a bad one may spoil the S-pen experience. Also Matte or Glossy?

Very interesting - Where is the source of info sir? I've been wanting to understand the various chipsets and a looking for info.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:16   #14699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Great info there. Thanks.

I had put a simple screen guard at the time of the purchase itself. I have not experienced any problems using the S-Pen with the screen guards. My friend has a matt finish screen guard on his Note 2, and he has also not faced any issues with the pen. OT- The matt finish screen guard looks better IMHO than the normal clear glossy guard.

Samsung Galaxy S4 lauched at MRP: 41,500/- INR for the 16 GB base variant.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 26th April 2013 at 13:26.
Old 26th April 2013, 13:28   #14700
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Very interesting - Where is the source of info sir? I've been wanting to understand the various chipsets and a looking for info.
Here you go.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-pro...exynos-5-octa/

BTW, in future if you ever need more info. on any technicals of Mobiles, tablets, Laptops, GPU etc, AnandTech.com is the most exhaustive website on this. In fact, it usually has a bit too much to understand.

Quote:
Great info there. Thanks.

I had put a simple screen guard at the time of the purchase itself. I have not experienced any problems using the S-Pen with the screen guards. My friend has a matt finish screen guard on his Note 2, and he has also not faced any issues with the pen. OT- The matt finish screen guard looks better IMHO than the normal clear glossy guard.

Samsung Galaxy S4 lauched at MRP: 41,500/- INR for the 16 GB base variant.
Thanks for the info, I am also more interested in a Matte finish one. Thats good that S-pen is still great. I was worried that friction between the surface could increase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks