Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 09:03   #14791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
But a conversation with friend and detailed research later, I realized that to see in bright light, LCD is better option. So all the amoled phones were ruled out.
I thought this was the other way round and thats why Ive been using SuperAmoled phones for the past few years. LCD phones are never that bright in sunlight and probably cannot be since the superb contrast amoled gives.

Thats the main reason Ive stayed away from HTC due to lcd screens as I know they can never match up to the amoled brightness. And amoled is crisp and clear when I need navigation on my bike rides. LCDs werent much help in that case.

Although Can someone clarify on this? Id like to hear others opinions.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:40   #14792
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
When you go to a cellphone shop with the intention of buying a brand other than Samsung, be very adamant and assertive. Otherwise those guys see you as just another gullible buyer and will keep telling you there's no better choice than Samsung.
True. Getting other brand products has become really difficult in stores. Online is somewhat ok. Samsung's level of penetration is astonishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
How much is the EMI coming too ?

I recently purchased 2 grand, One was for my dad. He is way too impressed with the phone. I got them with 15% cash back scheme going on. Will cost me net 18300/- after cash back.
EMi is 1749 per month. And Cash back is around 3200. Price of the device is 20990. Main reason to order it from zoomin was getting a 32gb card and the scrathgard (need this due to lack of gorilla or similar type glass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I thought this was the other way round and thats why Ive been using SuperAmoled phones for the past few years. LCD phones are never that bright in sunlight and probably cannot be since the superb contrast amoled gives.

Thats the main reason Ive stayed away from HTC due to lcd screens as I know they can never match up to the amoled brightness. And amoled is crisp and clear when I need navigation on my bike rides. LCDs werent much help in that case.

I was of the same opinion till yesterday. But after reading reviews online, came to the conclusion that LCD/TFT/IPS is better than OLED/AMOLED in direct Sunlight. Amoled is good if you want true black. But for me that was not a requirement. Also Flip can be used

HTC's display is supposed to be one of the best in the market. Check the reviews for HTC One, X, X+ vs the Samsung products. Samsung has taken the marketing world by storm. And from what I read Galaxy S3's screen is similar to to the Galaxy S only the screen size and naming are different.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:46   #14793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
in Another difference between the S4 Exynos vs S4 Snapdragon, would be visibs, Samsung, won't release the drivers and Kernel for it at the correct time. Thus you would see lesser Custom ROMS for the Exynos.
It was also talked about in a post by the CyanogenMod team, that developing for Exynos platform is very problematic.
Kernel and drivers were released last time quite early and they will be released surely due to nature of licence.
The problem is not there one of the major feature of s4 is business friendlyness.
Samsung has announced knox in mobile world congress and you can expect it as updates. Kernel will be SE Linux enabled as per public annoucements.

There is no difference in exynos vs snapdragon here.In fact snapdragon comes with trust zone and if TPM catchs up more phones will move to this path.

All this is from public sources.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st May 2013 at 11:49. Reason: fixed quote
Old 1st May 2013, 09:56   #14794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

SAMOLED was somewhat better than first generation LCDs (on phones 2 years back).

But since then the technology has come long way. The newer Super LCDs (SLCD2 in One X+ and the SLCD3 in One, IPS in iphone5) are way better, they are very bright so sunlight legibility is not that big a concern.

With SAMOLED, you'll have to pump up brightness to maximum (even that might not be enough for some panels) for it to be usable. But the problem is, at max brightness it will suck lot more power. Also another issue with AMOLED is different color subpixels suffer different degradation with time. So screens will develop strange hues over time depending on your use.
Old 1st May 2013, 11:46   #14795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Try this. Switch off wifi. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Store -> Force Stop. Clear Data (different from Clear Cache).

Switch on wifi, open Play Store. See if that works.
Genius, Gandhi... Google Play is running and doing some updating. I'll check the other stuff when it has finished

i... last night, among the apps, I realised there is google play services and I stopped and cleared the data on that too, but it didn't change anything.

ii... the key seems to have been turning the wifi off first, then restarting it. I had restarted the phone a few times but hadn't thought of that.

The key to computer problems is often very small and simple, and it is just a matter of knowing it or thinking of it. I just had not thought of this, and I don't think I would have. Many thanks for your help

EDIT: It worked once, then it broke again, and doesn't seem to be working again. Happy Bunny is sad again!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st May 2013 at 12:09.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:23   #14796
Distinguished - BHPian

Edit Expired...

From Bad to worse... I uninstalled Google Play updates and now I don't have any Google Play at all, and Titanium is not offering it as a restore. I suppose I have to search out an apk and install it.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:45   #14797
Senior - BHPian

The HTC One Design story behind the all metal phone -

Last edited by dkaile : 1st May 2013 at 13:47.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:47   #14798
BHPian

Quote:
I was of the same opinion till yesterday. But after reading reviews online, came to the conclusion that LCD/TFT/IPS is better than OLED/AMOLED in direct Sunlight. Amoled is good if you want true black. But for me that was not a requirement. Also Flip can be used
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
SAMOLED was somewhat better than first generation LCDs (on phones 2 years back).

But since then the technology has come long way. The newer Super LCDs (SLCD2 in One X+ and the SLCD3 in One, IPS in iphone5) are way better, they are very bright so sunlight legibility is not that big a concern.
Thanks for clarifying. Looks like I had the wrong opinion till now. Although I did feel that my superAMOLED phones performed far better in sunlight compared to Htc One X or the iPhone 5 or even the Galaxy Grand.

joslicx I like the way you said SAMOLED :P Makes it sound like Samsung OLED haha.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:55   #14799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agree. Having used S-AMOLED and IPS-LCD, I can say that the new lcd screens are much much better. The pentile layout seen in screens like S3's makes it even worse. You can see the pixels in them even with a higher pixel density. Colors aren't natural too.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:57   #14800
BHPian

Quote:

With SAMOLED, you'll have to pump up brightness to maximum (even that might not be enough for some panels) for it to be usable. But the problem is, at max brightness it will suck lot more power. Also another issue with AMOLED is different color subpixels suffer different degradation with time. So screens will develop strange hues over time depending on your use.
I don't agree with you buddy. I am using both galaxy s3 and iphone 4s. There are friends who have HTC One x. Let me tell you, wow factor of super Amoled screens is way ahead of LCDs of the same generation. Even under direct sunlight, screen on s3 is much more usable then one x screen whether it's reading, watching media files or using camera. Only LCDs which come close are from iphone 4s and iphone 5.
Others just look washed out.
I agree LCDs have come a long way and slcd2/3 are much better then lcds of old but super Amoled screens on galaxy S2/s3 are much superior to their competitors of the same generations.

I read someone preferred grand's screen to s3. I just can't believe that. There is simply no comparison at all.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:25   #14801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
I don't agree with you buddy. I am using both galaxy s3 and iphone 4s. There are friends who have HTC One x. Let me tell you, wow factor of super Amoled screens is way ahead of LCDs of the same generation. Even under direct sunlight, screen on s3 is much more usable then one x screen whether it's reading, watching media files or using camera. Only LCDs which come close are from iphone 4s and iphone 5.
Others just look washed out.
I agree LCDs have come a long way and slcd2/3 are much better then lcds of old but super Amoled screens on galaxy S2/s3 are much superior to their competitors of the same generations.

I read someone preferred grand's screen to s3. I just can't believe that. There is simply no comparison at all.
you are welcome to disagree as that's the whole point of having an opinion.

By the way, do you know the maximum brightness of the AMOLED screen on the GS3 and the LCDs on OneX or iphone5?? Thats only can give proper scientific answer otherwise everything else is subjective bias.
Old 1st May 2013, 14:26   #14802
BHPian

Quote:
hi i choose a Galaxy grand over the s3. I checked both the screens side by side for a long time in different stores but did not feel any pixels in the Grand. I was really surprised to see Samsung do a good job of the WVGA resolution in a 5" screen (187 ppi). Maybe it is my eyes which cannot differentiate the pixels. But I could not feel them in Camera mode or the home screens.

Maximum brightness in Grand felt more than the S3. Further S3 and other amoled screens colors were different from the LCD's. The stores guys were also mentioning that newer LCD screens have good sunlight legibility compared to the Amoled ones.

The purpose of the phone is mainly calls/internet/Camera. In that respect Grand felt a better choice as it meets most of the needs. Our Current Device is a rooted Nexus S. As long as Grand lasts atleast a day and performs better than Nexus S, we are happy.
Old 1st May 2013, 15:54   #14803
BHPian

Quote:

The purpose of the phone is mainly calls/internet/Camera. In that respect Grand felt a better choice as it meets most of the needs. Our Current Device is a rooted Nexus S. As long as Grand lasts atleast a day and performs better than Nexus S, we are happy.
Grand is a very good mobile and is a good buy. Lot of people in my team have grand. But I am just saying its screen is no match to s3. S3 is far superior in terms of not only pixels but also colour, contrast, vibrancy. I have seen people complaining about lesser max brightness in s3 then lcds in the market but they themselves never use the max available brightness in their own mobiles. Note 2 has more brightness then S3 for sure and is one of the best screen in the market from last year.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:07   #14804
BHPian

Quote:
Grand is a very good mobile and is a good buy. Lot of people in my team have grand. But I am just saying its screen is no match to s3. S3 is far superior in terms of not only pixels but also colour, contrast, vibrancy. I have seen people complaining about lesser max brightness in s3 then lcds in the market but they themselves never use the max available brightness in their own mobiles. Note 2 has more brightness then S3 for sure and is one of the best screen in the market from last year.
Agreed S3 and Grand are 2 different products. Amoled screens have yellowish tinge which make them look different from LCDs. They remind me on movie mode in TV's. LCDs felt more realistic with the colors. In direct sunlight max brightness is needed in majority of the mobiles to see anything on the screen. The screen technology has come quite far now and based on the usage we have ample choice.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:38   #14805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
From Bad to worse... I uninstalled Google Play updates and now I don't have any Google Play at all, and Titanium is not offering it as a restore. I suppose I have to search out an apk and install it.
I isolated the apk from a Titanium backup, installed it, and am back to no-connection-retry square one, with Gandhi's fix not working

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks