Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 07:07   #14776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

OMG. This is EPIC !! PSY should not have given rights for creating this nuisance !!
Agree with Partha over the female lead actress for promoting a brand (like Katrina for Sony, Anushka for Nikon). But this is overdone. LOL
Lol I was thinking more on the lines of the actress you posted about yesterday

Psy might have given license for this maybe cause he gave for that movie which used the original song.

I wonder what the actors contemplate after going home especially after giving such a bogus performance. He must already be regretting why did I take that offer.
Old 30th April 2013, 09:32   #14777
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Another difference between the S4 Exynos vs S4 Snapdragon, would be visible in the coming months.
As Always, Samsung, won't release the drivers and Kernel for it at the correct time. Thus you would see lesser Custom ROMS for the Exynos.
It was also talked about in a post by the CyanogenMod team, that developing for Exynos platform is very problematic.
Old 30th April 2013, 10:23   #14778
Senior - BHPian

Bought myself a mid range Android phone. Its a Gionee Dream D1. The phone is NOT available in Maharashtra as of now so opted for the online store "ManiacStores.com" to get it to Pune. Initially I always invested in branded phones like Nokia 6600, Motorola Ming, Nokia 5800 etc but then my last phone was Dell XCD35 (Originally ZTE) and it kind of changed my perspective towards good chinese brands.

Gionee is one of the leading mobile companies in China and their phones are mostly reliable. I got this info from my QA team members in China. According to him their flagship model (Dream D1) is doing good.

After using it for couple of days, following are my inputs:

Pros:
1. Awesome 720P HD super AMOLED display. It has 326 ppi and trust me the display is just awesome. I had Dell XCD35 which had 267 ppi and it was a plesant surprise for me. Now with D1, I have graduated to a super AMOLED
screen.

2. Gorilla glass 2 protection. Of course, I did not test it first hand and would not want to for sure. According to the reviews and specifications, its a Gorila glass 2 protection layer.

3. Quad core processor. This mediatek quad core is at least as good as dual core of Samsung.

4. 1 GB RAM, out of which around 600 MB is free all the time. This would reduce as I go on installing multiple Apps.

5. BIIIIG screen and yet manageable. It has 4.65 screen out of which around 4.3 is usable due to touch buttons at the bottom of the screen (as Nexus 4) instead of on the bezel. The phone is quite thin and easy to hold. My other choice was MMX Canvas HD which is kind of too big for pockets.

6. Finally a rooting is available for this phone. Gionee is actively discouraging people to root their phone so had kind root locker but a member on XDA is successfully rooted the phone.

7. Wide service center network. Pune is yet to get its own but couple of options available in Mbai. When I spoke to their toll free number came to know that within 3 months the service network would be expanded to cover mostly all prominent cities. Suprising to see they have SC in Kolhapur, Nahisk and not in Pune. The SC list is available on their website.

8. A 16 GB card is provided with the phone along with a couple of back skins. The build quality is way better than MMX phones.

Cons

1. No custom ROMs avialable yet. Recently a rooting is available so I hope people would carry on from here.

2. Battery is non removable. I am not sure if its a deal breaker or not but for an amateur user this should not cause a concern.

3. The headset provided is not a good quality accessory. Nokia has always given classy headsets with their mid to top range phones. Will have to separately buy Nokia headsets.

Would update my experience down the line once I root the phone and try different apps.
Old 30th April 2013, 13:07   #14779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Samsung India's Marketing head should be fired for this Sh*t.
Oh dear, dear. Have not seen something more awful. Firing him would be too easy...how about incarceration at Gitmo?
Old 30th April 2013, 13:24   #14780
Senior - BHPian

What a disgusting way to launch a flagship phone ! Someone might actually buy another phone after looking at this video.

Interestingly, when you open this video in a new browser in YouTube, you will first see the Xperia Z advertisement. Good one by Sony.

I remember following the S3 and Note 2 launch events and those were also too sad for a flagship models.

I was(and still am to some extent) a HUGE fan of the Apple keynotes, especially hosted by Mr. Jobs himself. In Apple keynotes, they just don't show the phone, but also project actual LIVE handling of the phone. Users can relate to that better, rather than someone just holding the handset in their hands and showing some powerpoint presentation in the background. According to me, the launch event of first iPhone has to be THE best launch event in mobile history till date. Everything was path-breaking during that event. I have watched that particular event video on YouTube n number of times.
Old 30th April 2013, 16:40   #14781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Oh dear, dear. Have not seen something more awful. Firing him would be too easy...how about incarceration at Gitmo?
Can't..... stop...... laughing......
Don't blame the player,though

Well, I never considered a Samsung phone before, and not only does this take it out of any future consideration set, guess the song that will be playing in my head anytime I see someone using a Samsung!
Old 30th April 2013, 22:45   #14782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my.
This video is getting viral, and negative comments pouring in - you can see 2 or three every minute. This is becoming a national shame.

I doubt this event is organized by Samsung's competitors

There is something called "Pride of ownership". This video can bring it down from any level down to zero - just show this video to a proud S4 owner and you can see it melting down.

Respect++ for other manufacturers!!

Last edited by clevermax : 30th April 2013 at 23:01.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:06   #14783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh my god. I am speechless. This is so bad its hard to believe they made it!

What were the marketing guys smoking? Who do they think is their target audience? Does this video address them? Seriously. Heads need to roll for this.

Also, All USA S4s have their bootloaders locked. Cyanogen has already said they will not develop for Exynos processors based phones any more.

All in all, this is stupid thinking by Samsung.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2013 at 14:44. Reason: Please avoid quoting videos in your posts. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2013, 23:36   #14784
BHPian

I Ordered a Galaxy Grand for my dad today after 2 days of intensive search. I was keen on picking up the Galaxy S4 or Note 2. Dad's usage is mainly phone calls, bt and camera. Rest of the specifications are just add on. Felt S4 too expensive, Note 2 too large and heavy. He liked Duos the best of the lot. I was almost keen on s3 as I was getting it for 26,000 after 15% cashback. But a conversation with friend and detailed research later, I realized that to see in bright light, LCD is better option. So all the amoled phones were ruled out.

HTC mobiles One, One X, One X+ and butterfly came in the picture with their Super LCD's. But the price of One and Butterfly was too high and one X had battery issues. One X+ 64gb with improved battery looked the best deal @28500. Decided to source it locally and went to 5 shops where only one of them offered to source it in a couple of days. All the others were just promoting Samsung products and these are big multibrand stores.

Coming back to Grand, I was very apprehensive about the WVGA display in a 5" screen but after seeing it in the stores again, I could not make out any pixels in the screen. For our daily usage, it more than sufficient. Just feel that a Gorilla Glass and better display would have done wonders for this device. Have to see how it will perform.

Ordered it from Zooming with 15% Cashback, 0% 12 months EMI and freebies that included 32gb card and a scrathgard, Flip cover from samsung.
Old 1st May 2013, 01:22   #14785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Ordered it from Zooming with 15% Cashback, 0% 12 months EMI and freebies that included 32gb card and a scrathgard, Flip cover from samsung.
How much is the EMI coming too ?

I recently purchased 2 grand, One was for my dad. He is way too impressed with the phone. I got them with 15% cash back scheme going on. Will cost me net 18300/- after cash back.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2013 at 07:22.
Old 1st May 2013, 03:50   #14786
Distinguished - BHPian

Help!

Defy+, Google Play error:

Quote:
No Connection
[Retry]

Of course, retry doesn't work. And yes, there is a working wifi connection.

The is not unknown to Google, but I've worked through the basic attempts to fix it eg, check system date (!), clear google-play cache, pray, etc. The problem is that there are a few things that don't work any longer, least of all being my alarm clock, and most being my Sygic maps manager.

The last item on the list of suggestions is the factory reset. The big problem with this is that I cannot remember how on earth I rooted this phone just over a year ago, nor can I find simple instructions ---and I'm sure it was simple at the time. I do not want to do a factory reset without being able to use Titanium to restore things, nor do I want intrusive ads as per when the phone was new.

Any ideas on

--- the Google-play error

--- Defy+ easy rooting

Please!

I need to take my phone to Singapore soon, and I need stuff like Google sync and Sygic to be ok. Desperately.

rant... What a piece of sub-microsftian, sub-nokian rubbish programming!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st May 2013 at 03:53.
Old 1st May 2013, 04:02   #14787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Help!

Defy+, Google Play error:

Any ideas on

--- the Google-play error

Try this. Switch off wifi. Go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Store -> Force Stop. Clear Data (different from Clear Cache).

Switch on wifi, open Play Store. See if that works.
Old 1st May 2013, 07:25   #14788
Senior - BHPian

Team,

Whats your opinion on LG Optimus G. Specs are amazing. Priced at 32K. I am getting a very good deal on this one.

Please suggest !!
Old 1st May 2013, 08:19   #14789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Team,

Whats your opinion on LG Optimus G. Specs are amazing. Priced at 32K. I am getting a very good deal on this one.

Please suggest !!
At anything around 30K, this is a great device to own. Its specs are amazing and the display is pretty much decent at 318ppi.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:38   #14790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Decided to source it locally and went to 5 shops where only one of them offered to source it in a couple of days. All the others were just promoting Samsung products and these are big multibrand stores.
When you go to a cellphone shop with the intention of buying a brand other than Samsung, be very adamant and assertive. Otherwise those guys see you as just another gullible buyer and will keep telling you there's no better choice than Samsung.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks