Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 10:43   #14941
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My phone's WIFI ( S2) has suddenly started acting weird. It was working fine till date. I recently changed my internet conenction and got a new bsnl connection. Now my phone refuses to connect to it over wifi. My laptop is working fine on it. The phone keeps showing " obtaining ip address" and then just fails to do anything. Any solutions for the same?
Try enabling a Static IP on your phone.

Most probably your router would be 192.168.1.1

So just fix your phone(by going in Wi-Fi advanced settings) at something like 192.168.1.40(say), DHCP might be the culprit.
BTW, when you changed the internet connection, did u also get a new router? Also, why on earth did you get a BSNL connection? Does it work better than others in your area.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:05   #14942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Hi, can someone please help with this?
If you're on 4.1.2, it's a known issue of the ROM which caused Wifi issues for some users. Hopefully, they'll fix it in the next OTA. There are lot of work arounds specified over numerous forums. I have had wifi issues after the last update, but I was able to fix it after messing with the router (a hard reset of the router fixed it for me). If you're comfortable with ODIN, you can flash back 4.1.1 to solve the issue. I repeat its not a hardware issue and as some one mentioned here, changing your phone will not solve it. That was a bad suggestion without much research!

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 11th May 2013 at 11:09.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:08   #14943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post

If you're on 4.1.2, it's a known issue of the ROM which caused Wifi issues for some users. Hopefully, they'll fix it in the next OTA. There are lot of work arounds specified over numerous forums. I have had wifi issues after the last update, but I was able to fix it after messing with the router (a hard reset of the router fixed it for me). I repeat its not a hardware issue and as some one mentioned here, changing your phone will not solve it
Thank you. I called up Samsung support here and they asked me to try doing a factory reset. Tried that option, but the issue exists. On the way to the Samsung service centre now.
Old 11th May 2013, 11:16   #14944
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, can someone please help with this?
Quote:
Thank you. I called up Samsung support here and they asked me to try doing a factory reset. Tried that option, but the issue exists. On the way to the Samsung service centre now.
Factory reset won't help for sure. While in Samsung store, if they are not able to fix by flashing 4.1.2 directly, ask them to flash you a 4.1.1 ROM. Otherwise, Note 2 has a great WiFi antenna. I always get signals on my terrace where my Sony, Motorola and iPhone never get connected
Old 11th May 2013, 11:46   #14945
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Factory reset won't help for sure. While in Samsung store, if they are not able to fix by flashing 4.1.2 directly, ask them to flash you a 4.1.1 ROM. Otherwise, Note 2 has a great WiFi antenna. I always get signals on my terrace where my Sony, Motorola and iPhone never get connected
Sure, I will show this conversation to them
Thanks again!
Old 11th May 2013, 14:31   #14946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Try enabling a Static IP on your phone.

Most probably your router would be 192.168.1.1

So just fix your phone(by going in Wi-Fi advanced settings) at something like 192.168.1.40(say), DHCP might be the culprit.
BTW, when you changed the internet connection, did u also get a new router? Also, why on earth did you get a BSNL connection? Does it work better than others in your area.
I am unable to find the option to change the IP on the phone. Long pressing the wireless network gives me an option to modify network and show advanced settings. But then on selecting that it just prompts me to put the password back and starts obtaining the IP address all over again.

Yes I changed my router. Choose bsnl because that is the only service provider we have in our area currently for internet. Others are not allowed inside the campus.
Old 11th May 2013, 14:39   #14947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am unable to find the option to change the IP on the phone. Long pressing the wireless network gives me an option to modify network and show advanced settings. But then on selecting that it just prompts me to put the password back and starts obtaining the IP address all over again.

Yes I changed my router. Choose bsnl because that is the only service provider we have in our area currently for internet. Others are not allowed inside the campus.
Clearly, the router will be the culprit.

A couple of suggestions:
  • Try changing the Wi-Fi channel on the router. Default may be auto, choose any between 1-11. Crowding of channels is common. Similar problem occured to me on the PC, when I bought my first Wi-Fi router.(It cost over three grand and I thought I had got a lemon!)
  • You should(read: MUST) try to change the IP address. Now I don't know about JB settings, but I have used Android 2.3, and you can access advanced settings by pressing the menu key when viewing the available Wi-Fi networks. Should be somewhat similar in ICS/JB as well
Old 11th May 2013, 16:44   #14948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They did a software flash and that did not solve the issue. So now the phone is left at the service centre. Apparently they have to replace the motherboard. Even if the phone is just 2 weeks old Samsung does not a have a policy of 1-to-1 replacement itseems! Quite a disappointing entry to the Samsung world...
Old 11th May 2013, 17:51   #14949
Senior - BHPian

2 Weeks is too long for an DOA claim. May be a week, you could have pushed it.
Rather disappointing experience for you. I feel for you.

Had this purchase been on flipkart, I think you could have asked for replacement. For a retail purchase, what i have said above probably holds true.
Old 11th May 2013, 18:06   #14950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
2 Weeks is too long for an DOA claim. May be a week, you could have pushed it.
Rather disappointing experience for you. I feel for you.
Thank you. Here in Singapore normally these brands are pretty good with customer service. Last year Apple did a 1-to-1 replacement for my iPhone at the 11th month of warranty. I can understand if an odd unit has a defect, but what was irritating was they couldn’t give me a definite date for collection (unavailability of parts). I insisted to see the store manager, he was quite apologetic, and tried to cool up things by arranging to send the phone to another branch, and has promised to deliver it back at my home in a couple of days. Hope they can fix the issues to satisfaction.
Old 11th May 2013, 21:37   #14951
BHPian

Quote:
They did a software flash and that did not solve the issue. So now the phone is left at the service centre. Apparently they have to replace the motherboard. Even if the phone is just 2 weeks old Samsung does not a have a policy of 1-to-1 replacement itseems! Quite a disappointing entry to the Samsung world...
I still can't believe this is a hardware issue This is the firmware acting up for sure, or may be my over confidence . Have you asked for 4.1.1 flash?

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 11th May 2013 at 21:41.
Old 11th May 2013, 22:07   #14952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still can't believe this is a hardware issue This is the firmware acting up for sure, or may be my over confidence . Have you asked for 4.1.1 flash?
I did, actually showed them your post. And waited for a couple of a hours for them to do the software check. Did not work, and then they wanted to go with the next step. That’s where it stands now
Old 12th May 2013, 20:56   #14953
BANNED

Hi All,

i have a issue with my note1 of late,the wifi tower shows excellent strength and connects too,but browsing is very very slow and where is the problem and any solution for this?

I feel that its happening only after JB upgrade.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:57   #14954
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know any custom TW roms for the Note1 that has the FM Radio functionality?

I tried the Slim Bean AOSP Rom, but it's too plain jane. Also, the fact that I lost bluetooth functionality and the FM Radio makes me want to go back to the stock TW rom which has better visual appeal and atleast I can use my BT headset and the Radio.
Old 13th May 2013, 16:26   #14955
Senior - BHPian

Got an urgent query.
My BB torch 9810 has been a nuisance off late so need a new smartphone.
I wanna try android for the first time so after a lot of research had zeroed on Sony Xperia Sp.

What i wanna know is anyone here uses that phone and can give me advice on pros and cons?
Also, is there any other better option in 25k range?

Most Viewed