Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2013, 11:27   #17071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
A family friend of mine is planning to upgrade from his entry-level Xperia. He's stuck between Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Nexus 4. I suggested the Nexus 4 due to larger RAM, larger and better screen and better battery.

What do you guys think is better for a person in his early 50s, considering that the use will be solely restricted to phone calls, IM, texts and reading emails.
I have been using Nexus 4 for over a month. Having used the robust Moto Defy for over two years, I am pretty happy with the build quality of Nexus 4. I am using Capdase for back glass protection. Front glass is Gorilla 2. The phone has survived a few falls from desktop without any problem. I would recommend this phone for KitKat 4.4 OS which is really fast and more intuitive than jelly bean. Google Contacts is awesome. You can also check out Nexus 5, which is not too expensive either.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:48   #17072
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yes, there is a drop in performance. I was checking the RAM and on clearing it in 4.1, it used to go down to 500s but not its not clearing up below 1GB! Gallery is taking time to open and I feel that battery is also draining up fast. Something is amiss here.
I just updated to 4.3 and did not notice any performance drop or even battery loss. It looks the same as before.
Old 24th November 2013, 12:26   #17073
BHPian

Okay so after the factory data reset I did on my Note-II(Because the phone had become a bit slow after the 4.3 update), I am now facing another problem.

I am unable to make calls most of the time i.e. i am having to try at-least 5 times in-order for it to connect a call. Earlier I was able to connect in one shot, however now it takes at least 5 attempts.

My network strength seems to be fine, and this problem has only come up after the factory data rest. Also its not limited to one contact.

I have tried removing the battery and the sim card and switching off and on the flight mode a number of times, however nothing seems to be solving the issue.

My service provider is Vodafone.

Need Help..

Last edited by Enigmatic : 24th November 2013 at 12:31.
Old 24th November 2013, 12:34   #17074
Senior - BHPian

Just switched my run time on KitKat to ART ( from dalvik ). ART is supposed to be less resource hungry on the CPU, RAM and hence should offer better performance and battery life. But it's still in beta and hence not all apps might work. Team-bhp app is working anyway. So are most apps. :-)

PS: whatsapp seems to be crashing on ART.

You need to set ART from developer option of KitKat. ART might become the default option for runtime from the next version of android on.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131124_123527.png
Views: 642
Size:  64.4 KB

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th November 2013 at 13:19.
Old 24th November 2013, 15:58   #17075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post

Get a new charger from the roadside stalls for 100 bucks.
It is the pin in the phone - nothing to do with the charger.
Old 24th November 2013, 16:12   #17076
Senior - BHPian

Anyone getting advertisement on lock screen of applock app after a recent update?
Old 24th November 2013, 19:28   #17077
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently my Nexus 4 is not detecting the Kit Kat Update. Whereas my cousin who bought Nexus 4 around the same time i purchased got his Kit Kat update OTA. Any idea what to do?
Old 24th November 2013, 19:46   #17078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Apparently my Nexus 4 is not detecting the Kit Kat Update. Whereas my cousin who bought Nexus 4 around the same time i purchased got his Kit Kat update OTA. Any idea what to do?
OTA update is rolled out in a staged manner in batches.
Google gives it to 1% of devices at first and then if it is problem-free,
they roll out to 25%, 50% and then 100% of the devices over a course of 2 weeks.

What the percentages mean is that when your device checks in, it has a 25% chance (for example) of being offered the OTA. If it doesn't (randomly) get an offer, it will never get an offer until the next batch. Once your device checks in and gets turned down, you won't get the update until the next batch. Mashing on the "check for updates" button just causes your device to check in again, and get automatically turned down again. So it is better to check for updates every 24 hours or so.

If you are too eager to taste Kitkat, you can get that directly from google - https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
PS: whatsapp seems to be crashing on ART.
Update on ART ( Android Run time ) Compatibility - Issues Noticed.
  1. Whatsapp doesn't work
  2. Newshunt app doesn't render regional fonts properly ( after opening an article. Headings work fine ). English Language works fine as well.
Other Points to Note on ART
  1. Since ART uses AOT ( Ahead of Time ) compilation instead of JIT ( Just in Time ), the apps needs to be compiled on install. So, the installation of apps can take around 1 to 2 seconds longer.
  2. For the same reason, the first reboot of the phone after switching to ART also takes a bit ( expect around 10 to 30 minutes ) depending on the number of apps installed on your phone.
  3. CPU usage and memory usage should come down, and hence the phone should feel faster and battery mileage increases as well.

Last edited by amalji : 24th November 2013 at 19:53.
Old 24th November 2013, 19:49   #17079
Senior - BHPian

Had been to few mobile phone live demo outlets to test drive the note 3.

Samsung has cleverly sent in the Snapdragon 800 LTE version to all these demo outlets.

And as usual the sales folks out there were clueless about the basic differences about the two versions.

So guys please watch out for the variant incase you plan to benchmark the performance at the outlet.
Old 24th November 2013, 22:58   #17080
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am helping a cousin with his new phone purchase. He is upgrading from Samsung galaxy s advance.

He is on a budget of 20k, +/-2k. How good is nexus 4? Does it make sense to buy one now that the nexus 5 is launched. Nexus 5 is way out of budget, so rulling it out.

He is an avg user. And normally uses the phone for 1.5-2 years.

Please advise if nexus 4 is still a worthy buy and how is the dev support for the same in terms of rooting etc.
Old 24th November 2013, 23:04   #17081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Please advise if nexus 4 is still a worthy buy and how is the dev support for the same in terms of rooting etc.
Nexus 4 is still a good phone to buy and use it for 2-3 years with support both from google and xda for many years to come.
Old 24th November 2013, 23:22   #17082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

He is on a budget of 20k, +/-2k. How good is nexus 4? Does it make sense to buy one now that the nexus 5 is launched. Nexus 5 is way out of budget, so rulling it out.

Nexus 4 is a fantastic phone.
Since, you mentioned that he is an average user, you can even think of a cheaper phone. Moto G ( expected release in January 2014 ) is a good buy as well - http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...oto-g-pdp.html
And the cost should be somewhere around 12 - 15k when it's released. That should be the cheapest performance android phone from a good manufacturer when it's launched. And motorola has gauranteed an upgrade to Kitkat version of Android.
Stock android ( without the bloatwares that the likes of Samsung/HTC provides ) ensures that the performance is unmatched by any other phones in that price range.

Last edited by amalji : 24th November 2013 at 23:50.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:12   #17083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Anyone getting advertisement on lock screen of applock app after a recent update?
It's a setting inside AppLock. They unlock all premium features for free if you allow it to show ads.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:41   #17084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I am helping a cousin with his new phone purchase. He is upgrading from Samsung galaxy s advance.

For that kind of budget, the Lenovo P780 is also a worthy choice! Do check that bad boy out.
Old 25th November 2013, 14:26   #17085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

My phone has been shipped last night and tracking ID from blue dart is not yet enabled or active.

It ships from Bhiwandi, Mumbai. It should reach PUNE in a day or two.

I am in two minds on whether to purchase the official google bumper case @ Rs 2499. The price is very steep for a case.
Delivered today. Shipped from bhiwandi. What a screen. Even coming from the iPhone 5, this is a stunner. The white back looks strange to my eyes. Maybe it is my iPhone centric exp, but I would go with the black next time.
Little thoughtful touches like a SIM removal tool, haptic f/b keyboard and literally a single sign in. Camera takes a sec to focus, but it feels like Camera+ on iOS, with Optical stabilize.

I have the Grey bumper, and it feels very plasticky, and adds some heft. But I will stick to it, although it feels sturdy without a case. I am an Otterbox fan, so this feels fine. Have fun with your device.

I am abso new to Android, after 5+ years on iOS. Look forward to hearing others experience shifting. Lots of my favorite apps, have android versions, and sync through drop box. I have the odd fav app, like Rego, Digits, fantastical, Errands & Alarmed, Daily routine & TravelTracker which seem EOL. Some I have used since my Palm days and will have to find replacements for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks