Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 14:30   #17401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I got a Asus Tab for my 2 year old. Last couple of days, the games are having a lot of trouble (subway surfer and asphalt 8). Not sure what is the issue here; I am sure of one thing that some app is eating up a lot of memory causing the tab to slow down. It is used exclusively for gaming only. I installed "shiva" game recently.
Old 7th January 2014, 14:35   #17402
BHPian

My galaxy S3 has this problem of going in car mode randomly every now and then. When in car mode the screen rotates with and other things which i hate.
I tried to google and search through other forums to find out what exactly is the issue and if i can modify some settings in my phone to prevent this from happening but to no avail.

Also it seems to be a hardware issue more than a software issue.
It seems to be soemthing related to the charging (micro USB) slot on my phone.

What i also found from internet is that some S4 and note 3users too face this problem.

Any pointers ?
Old 7th January 2014, 16:53   #17403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
My galaxy S3 has this problem of going in car mode randomly every now and then. When in car mode the screen rotates with and other things which i hate.
I tried to google and search through other forums to find out what exactly is the issue and if i can modify some settings in my phone to prevent this from happening but to no avail.

Also it seems to be a hardware issue more than a software issue.
It seems to be soemthing related to the charging (micro USB) slot on my phone.

What i also found from internet is that some S4 and note 3users too face this problem.

Any pointers ?
Try disabling car app.
Old 7th January 2014, 18:15   #17404
BANNED

@gopinathann try Googles hangout app. Not sure if it will dial phone numbers though.

@Bluevolt. It is possible that there is a firewall filtering out whatsapp traffic.

Moto G launch is postponed till end January. So, I confirmed xperia ZR. I am rather petrified to find that among big and established brands, cheapest single sim android phone is the Samsung galaxy S3. I am afraid the brands are following the herds here.

Even moto g will have a dual sim version, it seems.

Another issue - lack of proper cover, like the ones made by pdair. I tried aliexpress, but they are quoting prices in USD. And I don't want to wait for a month to get a cover.

Now, I am bracing for a visit to BSNL office to get a MICROSIM.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 7th January 2014 at 18:23.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:31   #17405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Now, I am bracing for a visit to BSNL office to get a MICROSIM.
If they don't co-operate, you can convert your regular SIM to a micro using a SIM cutter. You can ask your mobile shop to do this for you.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:43   #17406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@gopinathann try Googles hangout app. Not sure if it will dial phone numbers though.

@Bluevolt. It is possible that there is a firewall filtering out whatsapp traffic.

Moto G launch is postponed till end January. So, I confirmed xperia ZR. I am rather petrified to find that among big and established brands, cheapest single sim android phone is the Samsung galaxy S3. I am afraid the brands are following the herds here.

The ZR has a few problems. I had three replacements before me and Sony decided that was enough and I got my money back. The first handset worked superbly for three months and then the Bluetooth packed up. The second wasn't waterproof and resulted in a dead phone. The third had the same Bluetooth issue.

My advice will be to not root it. Eventually I traced the Bluetooth problem to the SD card. The moment I plugged in the card, it stopped working.
It's a good size and I do miss it sometimes although I'm very happy with my G2. If you want a waterproof phone and don't mind the Bluetooth problem then go for the ZR. Otherwise, I'd recommend something else.

Just my two cents.
Old 8th January 2014, 00:40   #17407
BHPian

Another phone launched with a 4ah battery, 2GB and 5.7in full HD display @ 20k

http://www.gsmarena.com/xolo_q3000-5927.php

BTW isn't 4ah battery equal to the lead batteries which are present in the chargeable emergency lights which we get here?
Old 8th January 2014, 10:45   #17408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

The ZR has a few problems. I had three replacements before me and Sony decided that was enough and I got my money back. The first handset worked superbly for three months and then the Bluetooth packed up. The second wasn't waterproof and resulted in a dead phone. The third had the same Bluetooth issue.

My advice will be to not root it. Eventually I traced the Bluetooth problem to the SD card. The moment I plugged in the card, it stopped working.
It's a good size and I do miss it sometimes although I'm very happy with my G2. If you want a waterproof phone and don't mind the Bluetooth problem then go for the ZR.
Sad to hear the problem.
My ZR is working flawless for last 4 months. I am able to connect my Bluetooth stereo handsfeee SE MW600 very easily and fast. Just tap Bluetooth icon that's it. The Same used to take More time and had to touch MW600 icon after display in my previous SE Xperia Pro.
Old 8th January 2014, 18:38   #17409
Senior - BHPian

My Review For: Google Nexus 5: The Ultimate Android Smartphone

Quote:
For: Price, Screen, Build Quality, High Performance Hardware, and Vanilla Android Experience
Against: Not a Stellar Camera & Battery Backup but Not a Deal Breaker in Any Manner

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark252832529.jpg

The Google Nexus 5 has been launched in India in November 2013 with price tag of Rs. 29990 for 16 GB model and Rs. 33880 for 32 GB model. The much hyped Smartphone is powered by Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor, 2 GB RAM, Adreno 330 GPU, 16 & 32 GB Internal Memory, 8 MP Primary Camera + 1.3 MP Secondary Camera, 4.95 inches True HD IPS+ Capacitive Touchscreen with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protection and Resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels & ~445 ppi and Android v4.4 KitKat Operating System.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark252822529.jpg

There was a time when we Indians could only source Nexus devices from countries like US and it was kind of an alien thing till few years back. With growing popularity of Nexus in our country, Google sensed that India could be one of the potentially large market for its flagship smartphone. Google officially started selling Nexus 4 through PlayStore and online mega marts like FlipKart. Nexus 4 has fantastic specs on paper suffered from below par camera, battery backup and limited storage which made things not so rosy for Nexus 4. Improving on its cons, Google introduced Nexus 5 in November 2013 which is better than Nexus 4 in all aspects and giving prominent flagship devices like Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC One a run for their money. Let’s have a closer attention on Google Nexus 5!

Screen & Build Quality

Make no mistake, Nexus 5 has one of the finest display & touch screen as compared to other mobiles in flagship segment. You will be smitten with full HD 4.95 inch IPS+ screen which has staggering pixel density of 445 ppi. It is pleasure to view the screen with its amazing contrast ratios, colour saturations and brightness. The earlier Nexus did suffered from poor contrast ratio. Everything is crisp and clear. Viewing angles are good. It is treat to watch photos, videos, movies and play graphic hungry games on Nexus 5. Touch response is feather smooth and responsive. Day time visibility is also impressive. The beautiful screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3 which ensures peace of mind to some extent.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark2528102529.jpg

If we compare Nexus 5 with its predecessors, Nexus 5 is best looking of them all. Google has done away with glass back of Nexus 4 which resulted in poor handling of the device. Nexus 5 is made of soft feather touch plastic body which is not resistant to fingerprints. It weighs exactly as S4 @130 grams. It is light yet sturdy and looks & feels premium. Build quality is up to the mark even with a plastic shell. Samsung might take some cue from this!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark2528112529.jpg

There are on screen buttons for home, back and menu functions. A 1.3 MP secondary camera is housed above the screen along with couple of sensors. Earphone is nicely integrated in an unconventional round shape. Display deserves a good quality screen guard to prevent scratches though Google provides a stock screen guard with ‘Nexus’ imprinted on it.

Camera, Buttons & Call/Audio Quality

Google Nexus 5 has retained 8.0 megapixel primary camera from Nexus 4 but with large sensor which results in improved image quality as compared to its predecessor. It also has optical image stabilization & LED flash. When compared to other 8.0 MP units, this one performs at par, the image quality is very good for outdoor shots with average indoor photos. Resultant image size is 3264 * 2448 pixels. Camera app has features like geo-tagging, touch/auto focus, face detection, photo sphere, HDR mode and dual recording. Photosphere mode is for panoramas shots, HDR mode adds further details to your photos and macro mode is very accurate and useful for taking close up photos. The 1.3 MP front camera is very good for high quality video calling. There is no dedicated camera shutter button.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark252852529.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark252862529.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-googlelgnexus5androidkitkatreviewhandsondetailedbenchmark252882529.jpg

It can record 1080p@30fps videos. One can also take pictures while recording a video. Overall camera experience of Nexus 5 is just above average and may not impress the photographer in you but then who buys a smartphone for photography at all. It is good enough for day to day snapping. In the flagship segment, S4 and HTC One has much better cameras & camcorders. Camera lens is scratch prone - a good quality case is must recommended.

Call quality is very good. The single speaker is better and louder than Nexus 4. I would like to see stereo speakers on next iteration of Nexus which is expected to launch by 2014 Christmas. Just like Nexus 4, power button is on right side of the phone, volume rocker on left side, a 3.5 mm audio port on top of the phone along with noise cancellation microphone and USB cum charging port at the bottom. Nexus 5 comes with earphones but I haven’t tested those so can’t comment on its quality.

OS/Performance and Battery

Nexus 5 is powered by monstrous Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 processor, 2 GB RAM, Adreno 330 GPU, 16/32 GB Internal Memory and Android v4.4 KitKat Operating System. There is no SD card support. If we consider all flagship smartphones then Nexus 5 grabs respectable position after Samsung Note 3 which has slight advantage with 3 GB RAM. Performance is not an issue with this device packing powerful processor and GPU. Nexus 5 scores well on benchmarks apps like Antutu, Quadrant standards and Nenamark. Antutu benchmark score is around 30,000. Quadrant standard score is 8822. NenaMark2 benchmark revealed impressive fps score @ 58.9 fps.
Read more...

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th January 2014 at 17:21. Reason: Adding some of the text & images here. Please note that we also don't allow people linking to their own blogs / websites. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2014, 19:19   #17410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hello friends,

I have bought my first android phone, could anybody give me a list of good
games and some useful apps.
Useful apps:
aCar
Sygic
Google Maps
And something for a torch

Less apps, the better for your phone.

Games:
Subway surfer
Angry birds
Old 10th January 2014, 02:11   #17411
BHPian

I'm right now downloading the S3 update of 407.99MB. it's the move to 4.3
Old 10th January 2014, 15:52   #17412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I'm right now downloading the S3 update of 407.99MB. it's the move to 4.3
Somehow my S3 running 4.1.2 doesnt show anything when i check for OTA updates. Tried today morning. Mine is running stock firmware.

Read reports that the update has started rolling from 8th Jan. 1 or 2 months back when i was checking for updates i recevied an minor update for around 40MB. Not sure if thats the culrpit preventing me from getting this 4.3 update.
Old 10th January 2014, 16:00   #17413
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Somehow my S3 running 4.1.2 doesnt show anything when i check for OTA updates. Tried today morning. Mine is running stock firmware.

Read reports that the update has started rolling from 8th Jan. 1 or 2 months back when i was checking for updates i recevied an minor update for around 40MB. Not sure if thats the culrpit preventing me from getting this 4.3 update.
I believe your phone will be able to update only when connected to KIES Suite.
Sometimes Major update/Upgrade could be done only through PC suites due to their large size.!
Old 10th January 2014, 16:22   #17414
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

OTA should work. I updated OTA in the afternoon and the phone is running fine.
Old 10th January 2014, 16:26   #17415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post

Nope. Stock firmwares are not updated at one go but in a phased manner, region wise. Please install kies software and connect your device and get the update manually.

Most Viewed