Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2014, 21:55   #17836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I guess then, the Micro Sim conversion Has caused this...
I have cut my wife's 10+ year old BSNL SIM and using it in XPERIA ZL. No issues. Sometimes, I use the outer shell like adapter and put the SIM back in old Nokia and even that works fine.

Bottom line- SIM should be punched properly with the specialized tool and it should work fine .

-BJ
Old 6th March 2014, 00:59   #17837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
My cheap Micromax A89 went kaput and I am in urgent buying situation. I am thinking of Moto G (8gb). My only needs are 1GB RAM, decent camera and music and display should be fine in daylight.

I am not a heavyduty user and use only FB, WhatsApp, Google maps, Gmail, SMS, rarely play games, music only when I'm driving (car stereo)and yeah, calls too.

Has anybody used it? If yes, would you please list the pros and cons for me?
It is a good phone for its price, actually it is a very good phone for its price. I would urge you to buy the 16 GB only. But I understand you may not want to wait for the stocks and 8 GB is off the shelf. Still go for the 16GB.
I got it last week and it works very well, UI is fast, phone fits well in the hand and you can use one hand to operate it, unlike my P780.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:27   #17838
BANNED

Quite often you can save a decent amount by dealing with good independents. On August I bought my htc One (Sprint - CDMA + GSM) this was for 34k when the going price was 43k.
Old 6th March 2014, 11:57   #17839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Bottom line- SIM should be punched properly with the specialized tool and it should work fine .

-BJ
^ Exactly, my point.
I got mine done for the iPhone & it works fine.
Cutting a regular Sim to a Micro Sim size is no rocket science, you just need the right tool. Its just that If there is even a slight misplacement of the sim while cutting it, the sim could give you troubles. So just to avoid that i was suggesting to get a Micro Sim by default.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:32   #17840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quite often you can save a decent amount by dealing with good independents. On August I bought my htc One (Sprint - CDMA + GSM) this was for 34k when the going price was 43k.
Have you used this on GSM? planning to buy one from Sprint.
Old 6th March 2014, 14:34   #17841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I would urge you to buy the 16 GB only.
Neo, thank you very much for the response. But why not 8gb? Both are in stock with Flipkart. The difference is Rs.1500 which is okay for 8 more GB of storage. My only regret would be seeing it unused.

Am I not reading between the lines?
Old 6th March 2014, 15:40   #17842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neo, thank you very much for the response. But why not 8gb? Both are in stock with Flipkart. The difference is Rs.1500 which is okay for 8 more GB of storage. My only regret would be seeing it unused.

All of that gets consumed over time with songs/photos/video.

You can't ctrl-Z it later. This is 21st century smartphones not the E63 level symbian where even 1GB was overkill
Old 6th March 2014, 16:19   #17843
Senior - BHPian

Almost a week with Samsung Grand 2 and i am absolutely loving it.

Here are my initial impressions on the same:

Pros
===
1. Multiprocessing is a breeze with this phone. The multi window feature lets open multiple apps and use them seamlessly. 1.2 GHz Quad core processer is quick enough.
2. The looks of the device is charming - specially the white coloured one. Compare side by side with a Nexus 5 and you know who looks better. The faux stitching at the back does not look too out of place.
3. Touch is very very smooth.
4. Big 5.25 inch screen is good enough to view movies and playing games.
5. Last but not the least - the battery life. I am easily getting 1.5 days with 80% wifi usage and 2 days without Wifi. Havn't tried gaming yet though, i guess with gaming+wifi it should drop to 1 day. Still better than my earstwhile Galaxy S advance.
6. Good camera.

Cons:
===
1. Screen is a bit too glossy for my liking. Reflections from tubelights and othe light sources on screen can get a bit irritating at times.
2. Although 1.5 GB rams seems to be sufficient - it would have been better to provide 2 GB atleast, considering most 20k+ phones provide 2 GB atleast.
3. A bit on the heavier side. I would have preferred it to be under 1.3 g, but its about 1.6g.
4. No kitkat out of the box. Hoping (against hope) Samsung releases KitKat for this soon.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th March 2014 at 16:20.
Old 6th March 2014, 16:20   #17844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just to give you an idea of the storage capacity. Attaching a screen shot from my 16GB Moto G. I am quite a basic user with NO games or much music. But I agree with all that 16GB is a worthy one time buy.

Of the 16GB only 13GB is available for the user.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1394103023919.jpg  

Old 6th March 2014, 16:36   #17845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
It is a good phone for its price, actually it is a very good phone for its price. I would urge you to buy the 16 GB only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
All of that gets consumed over time with songs/photos/video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
But I agree with all that 16GB is a worthy one time buy.
Thank you guys!

I just ordered 16GB one from Flipkart. The delivery date is 10/3. But given the track record of Flipkart, I am expecting it to arrive on Saturday.
Old 6th March 2014, 16:44   #17846
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Have you used this on GSM? planning to buy one from Sprint.
Properly cracked. I am now on GSM having had issues with Reliance CDMA. Only change required is switch data mode to UMTS/GSM. Remember the original Sprint is locked to their own SIM, so must be 'cracked'.

Incidentally, my son bought the same exclusively for GSM. We are both happily running 3G!

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th March 2014 at 16:45.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:22   #17847
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
2. The looks of the device is charming - specially the white coloured one. Compare side by side with a Nexus 5 and you know who looks better.
Looks are completely a personal thing. I find all Samsungs, the same, yes, the Grand 2 appears good, but Note 3 would be the only phone from Samsung getting my vote for looks.
Quote:
The faux stitching at the back does not look too out of place.
This is where the price difference between Note 3 and this is evident, but still, good VFM.

One more thing, I tried to use a SD card, but two phones we tried heated up real bad, had to skip on using a card & depending on internal memory. Though, having a back up phone supporting 32GB helps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which app to use to download music for Nexus 5? And which web-site as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th March 2014 at 07:35.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:37   #17848
Senior - BHPian

Are there any power saving apps that keep only bluetooth on and shutdown wi-fi, 3G , etc when the phone is inactive ?

My android is paired with Blue&me, but the bluetooth switches off with the system power saving , and I can't take calls.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:45   #17849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One more thing, I tried to use a SD card, but two phones we tried heated up real bad, had to skip on using a card & depending on internal memory. Though, having a back up phone supporting 32GB helps
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which app to use to download music for Nexus 5? And which web-site as well.
Touchwood haven't faced any heating issues so far - but that might be because i am using a puny 4 GB SD card .

As for downloading music, i am not sure if any legal sites are there. I would also like to know about this.

For streaming music, if your taste is Indian - i would recommend either Dhingana or Saavn.

There is another app Gaana, but i don't find it too intuitive to use.
Old 7th March 2014, 15:10   #17850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are there any power saving apps that keep only bluetooth on and shutdown wi-fi, 3G , etc when the phone is inactive ?

My android is paired with Blue&me, but the bluetooth switches off with the system power saving , and I can't take calls.
Try using Tasker, or if you need a free simpler one try Llama. Both can do this easily

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks