Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2014, 15:23   #18421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
When I installed it, it prompted saying it will save/keep my passwords and other sensitive information. I have forgotten if Swiftkey also prompted this alert. Scared me a bit, because if it is saving this information, can they be relayed back to the developer? are they not encrypted?
All non stock keyboards throw up the warning. That said ,I find Swiftkey much faster. Going back to Swiftkey
Old 30th June 2014, 15:32   #18422
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
New version of android will be called android L ,so Google has stopped naming their updates after "sweets" like ice cream sandwich and Kitkat.
They are just calling it "L..." because when eventually named, it will begin with an L.

Andoird Alpha
Beta
Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jellybean
Kitkat
L.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Are you still facing battery drain issue with Google play services ?
Not really (I'm guessing you saw some very old post of mine?).

Based on the screenshot you shared - try and figure out what's keeping your phone awake so much!!! There are some good apps for this on the market IIRC.

cya
R
Old 30th June 2014, 15:46   #18423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I am looking to buy an android phone with below minimum requirements
I'm using the Lenovo P780 with a built in battery, no issues so far, battery life is unbelievable.

Note from Support - Quoted post shortened. Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and handheld users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 30th June 2014 at 19:33. Reason: thanks for your suggestion
Old 30th June 2014, 16:01   #18424
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i am presently using a Samsung Galaxy Ace+ which has a 512 MB RAM and 1 GHz processor (full specs).
Thanks in advance.
I think its a good idea to have minimum 2 gb RAM and a Quadcore processor to enjoy android.At 20000 Rs price bracket most of the phones have 1 gb ram.

My friend purchased a Lenovo ,he was not very happy with it.I think Lenova has no phones with snapdragon processor,all are mediatec or atom processor.I don't mean ,mediatec is bad,but snapdragon is the best.

In my experience best after sales service in India is by Sony.Even if you are out of warranty they will either repair it or swap the product with latest model for 50 % discount .
I recently got 50 % discount on new PS3 320 GB ,when my old PS3 40 gb was damaged.

Sony Xperia M2 has 1.2 GHz quadcore snapdragon processor ,8 MP camera but RAM is 1gb ,price around 19000 Rs.
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...pecifications/

Sony Xperia T2 ultra priced at 21000 Rs has 1.4 GHz quadcore snapdragon processor with 13 MP camera,but RAM 1 GB.
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...eria-t2-ultra/

HTC Desire 700 priced around 18000 Rs, has decent specs too apart from 1GB ram.
http://www.htc.com/in/smartphones/htc-desire-700/#/

Lenovo K900 is a stylish phone at around 20000 RS has 2 GB RAM,but processor is not snapdragon,it runs on dual core atom,said to be not that great when compared to snapdragon.Also no provision for micro sd card.

Lenovo Vibe X also looks good at first ,priced around 18000 Rs,but its quad core processor is mediatec,which is no match to snapdragon.It has fixed memory at 16 gb .The plus point is 2 gb ram.

Lenovo P780 ,good option has quad core processor and expandable memory.But RAM is only 1 gb .

If you are OK with Indian brands ,Micromax canvas Knight is a good phone ,you might get it below 20000 Rs .It has 1.7 GHz Octa Core Processor and 2 GB ram,only downside is limited memory at 16 gb.It has very good build quality.
Micromax canvas Turbo has 1.5 GHz quad core processor ,2 gb ram ,full HD display ,and 13 MP camera ,is only 14500 Rs now ( My father is using a micromax canvas turbo since last 6 months ,never had any issues)

Service of micromax is said to be good for an Indian company.

But there are few good chinese brands with decent spec close to 20000 Rs mark.They are Gionee elife e6 (price 19000 Rs) ,elife S5.5( price 21000 Rs) and oppo R1 .
( my wife is using elife e6 since last 6 or 7 months had no issues . )

Among these Oppo R1 is the best, but comes close to 25000 Rs.
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/revi...e-phone-540811

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...n-india-547889

In short ,
I think its better to have 2 gb ram ,if you are going for mediateck processor,but opt for minimum quadcore.

If you are going for brands like HTC or Sony ,they have qualcomm snapdragon quadcore processor,so 1 GB ram might not be a problem ,look for added features like camera and expandable memory.

Please stay away from Intel atom processor and samsung exynos processors,since battery issues and heating issues are said to be common.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th July 2014 at 04:27. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 30th June 2014, 18:22   #18425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i am presently using a Samsung Galaxy Ace+ which has a 512 MB RAM and 1 GHz processor (full specs).
Thanks in advance.
You don't need 2 GB to have a lag free experience, esp. if you are running KitKat and no bloat. Not unless you need to keep a lot of things running. Moto G is an example. Also consider that phones like Lenovo, etc., are like dead because updates are very unlikely and all/most are running on JB and Mediatek. You will be stuck with whatever you buy your phone with, for the life of your phone.

If you are very keen on 2 GB, Huawei Honor 3c is perhaps the least expensive phone currently to have that. But again its on JB and do not expect any updates ever.

Or you could consider a Windows phone which give better performance than Android on even 512 kB RAM. And now most are with 1 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
All non stock keyboards throw up the warning. That said ,I find Swiftkey much faster. Going back to Swiftkey
Swiftkey is bloated and sluggish. Try Touchpal.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th July 2014 at 04:27. Reason: Quote edited.
Old 1st July 2014, 03:28   #18426
Senior - BHPian

WAIT!

http://www.mi.com/my/mi3/ has been announced in India - supposed to be happening via FK.

As u can see above, their Malaysian price is RM 769 or 15k INR. You cannot get better specs in that price, period!

https://www.facebook.com/14959883906...068644/?type=1 should help you. Its supposed to come for just under 10.5k in Malaysia.

Quote:

My phone freezes up and is very slow at times. I have a task killer app which helps but off late it just goes numb and refuses to respond to touch, hangs intermittently, etc. to the point of irritation.

I am looking to buy an android phone with below minimum requirements:

1. 2 GB RAM (cannot live with a slow device anymore)

2. 1.2 GHz processor

3. 8MP primary camera

4. Expandable memory

I shortlisted a couple of phones from Lenevo but please tell me how does one replace the embedded battery in it.

I am most concerned about after sales service so please suggest keeping in mind my min. requirements along with this factor.

The outer limit of my budget is around Rs. 18k.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st July 2014 at 03:40.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:40   #18427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
WAIT!

http://www.mi.com/my/mi3/ has been announced in India - supposed to be happening via FK.
Wow, those specs are mind blowing. Thanks for sharing this info.

I'm only concerned about the service network though.

I'm also considering the Moto G going by recommendations from a close pal. The only glitch is my current phone and the Moto G has a 5MP camera. I was looking for a decent upgrade (to 8MP at least) in the new phone.

How good is the camera on the MotoG? Is this a deal breaker considering my requirements?

Edit - any idea about Huawei phones?
Old 1st July 2014, 11:01   #18428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
They are just calling it "L..." because when eventually named, it will begin with an L.

Andoird Alpha
Beta
Cupcake
Donut
Eclair
Froyo
Gingerbread
Honeycomb
Ice Cream Sandwich
Jellybean
Kitkat
L.....

Cya
R
L stands for Lemontart , which is another dessert . They went the minimalistic way and called it L instead. So the tradition is not broken, not yet.
Old 1st July 2014, 11:04   #18429
BHPian

Quote:

How good is the camera on the MotoG? Is this a deal breaker considering my requirements?
If you want a decent camera stay away from moto g. My previous nexus s which has a 5 mp camera shoots better in any condition.
Old 1st July 2014, 11:13   #18430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
If you are very keen on 2 GB, Huawei Honor 3c is perhaps the least expensive phone currently to have that. But again its on JB and do not expect any updates ever.
Quote:

Edit - any idea about Huawei phones?
I purchased a Huawei Honor 3c for my father recently. I migrated all the contacts from his old phone (samsung galaxy 3). He has nearly 2.5K phone numbers in his phone. Barely two days after purchasing the phone small issues started creeping up. The default contact app goes blank and does not show any phone numbers when you load it. When I re imported the contacts from backup , there were duplicates i.e 5K contacts in all. I merged the duplicates , now again no contacts shown , the screen goes blank.

I wanted to change the phone since the software was faulty. An update might have fixed it , but I insisted on a new phone from my seller (sun times Jayanagar) who asked me to get a DOA certificate from the service center.

I was referred to the "authorized service center" in Jayanagar 4th block (pramanik mobile service zone ). He had the phone in his custody for two days and refused to give me the DOA nor share the mail communications with Huawei . Besides this , he was rude , kept lying and insulting me.

Huawei service is horrible. Unless you want to experience such kind of an ordeal , stay away from this brand. The build quality on the phone is very average and heats up very fast while using 3G or WiFi.

About Moto G:

I have been using it for 2 months now , the phone build quality is good , performs nicely . Do not expect too much from the camera , you need to use HDR mode to get decent photos. A sample image from a recent trip .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...755748_hdr.jpg

The phone has not hanged or frozen till now. I play deer hunter , which is supposed to be a very demanding game. I have not experienced any lags so far .

Last edited by girimajiananth : 1st July 2014 at 11:22.
Old 1st July 2014, 14:21   #18431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
L stands for Lemontart , which is another dessert . They went the minimalistic way and called it L instead. So the tradition is not broken, not yet.
The Lemontart name isn't confirmed yet (though it does sound like a good one).

It's impossible to tell until they actually announce it.

Remember for the previous version everyone was sure it was going to be Keylime Pie - and then it was unveiled as KitKat!

cya
R

In other news - its mindblowing that a company like Google can't fix a simple bug like the "Hangouts" chat not automatically scrolling up as new messages are sent!
Old 1st July 2014, 14:41   #18432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Huawei service is horrible. Unless you want to experience such kind of an ordeal , stay away from this brand. The build quality on the phone is very average and heats up very fast while using 3G or WiFi.

About Moto G:

I have been using it for 2 months now , the phone build quality is good , performs nicely . Do not expect too much from the camera , you need to use HDR mode to get decent photos. A sample image from a recent trip .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...755748_hdr.jpg

The phone has not hanged or frozen till now. I play deer hunter , which is supposed to be a very demanding game. I have not experienced any lags so far .
Did you try contacting Huawei about the issue and report your experience?

Pictures in broad daylight are only one way to compare. What really matters is performance in adverse conditions like low light. Moto G cam seems mediocre at best. It's weakest point.

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st July 2014 at 14:44.
Old 1st July 2014, 15:38   #18433
Distinguished - BHPian

My nexus 5 is really turning out to be very poor in the battery department. I had hoped that with the recent android upgrades they would have addressed this. But it seems to have become worse. The battery hardly lasts me 10 hours after a full charge with moderate usage.
Old 1st July 2014, 17:26   #18434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Almost all the major file manager apps on android have an FTP file sharing feature over WiFi.

So yeah, this feature can be seen on any android which has a file manager installed.

Or you can also use Airdroid.
I checked (using wireshark) what "Wireless storage" really does on my G2. It does SMB (Samba) file transfer and not FTP.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:06   #18435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My nexus 5 is really turning out to be very poor in the battery department. I had hoped that with the recent android upgrades they would have addressed this. But it seems to have become worse. The battery hardly lasts me 10 hours after a full charge with moderate usage.
Guess its all Nexus devices. I loved the Nexus 4 but just couldn't manage the battery life. It was so bad that I sold it (for a good price though - already bought second hand).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks