Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 12:45   #19456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
IMO anything over 5" of screen size is just overkilling it.. And 6" is just too much.
Yes, this is too large to be used as phone.

Thing is, "phone" is not used as phone as much as it is used for media consumption (youtube / photos /facebook/ emails). And for such usage, larger screen helps.

This usage does vary from person to person.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:59   #19457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thing is, "phone" is not used as phone as much as it is used for media consumption (Youtube / photos /facebook/ emails). And for such usage, larger screen helps.
So you mean to say its better to have every handheld device is good if its as big as a tablet? Aren't they like two nexus tablets launched by Google now? Where is Google's exclusive smartphone?

Looks like when evolution in the processor and RAM has slowed down, companies started competing in screen size and resolutions. Its ridiculous to have specifications of a TV or theater in a handheld device. They are making us to pay for what is really not necessary at all.

Smartphones having screen size of less than 5" and having resolutions of FHD or HD are enough. More resolution means more strain on processors, thus need of more powerful processor which turns out more power hungry and requires bigger and more powerful battery. Then they make their softwares heavy without adding any significant improvements, they just make them more heavy and power hungry on the name of evolution. This all results into an overall expensive device which is not needed at all.

There are already tablets for the big screen usage purpose. Ironically people have invented new word called "Phablet" for their comfort, rather anything over 5" is also a tablet. Its not comfortable to operate such big devices using single hand, neither easy to keep in pocket comfortable.

Same thing happened in the computer technology long back and now evolution in the computer hardware tech is almost standstill.

Instead of going faster, they should go steady and slow on a meaningful path.

I am not talking about Google in particular, talking about everyone in the gadgets worlds.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 16th October 2014 at 13:06.
Old 16th October 2014, 13:56   #19458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
So you mean to say its better to have every handheld device is good if its as big as a tablet? Aren't they like two nexus tablets launched by Google now? Where is Google's exclusive smartphone?

Looks like when evolution in the processor and RAM has slowed down, companies started competing in screen size and resolutions. Its ridiculous to have specifications of a TV or theater in a handheld device. They are making us to pay for what is really not necessary at all.
If that was true then the Note series of Samsung would've been a flop which is not the case. They practically proved there is a market for such phones. Also, Apple who had a tough stand against bigger devices wouldn't have released an iPhone 6 plus, even the iPhone 6 with 4.7" is against their initial stands What I feel is that they are releasing bigger devices simply because of the fact that there is huge demand for that. If people are compelled to buy bigger devices, then why Sony's Z1 compact with same hardware of it's big bro didn't sell as good as Z1? Being said that, for each their own. There are phones with decent specs these days in the 4.5-5" screen size also, so there are options for each I guess
Old 16th October 2014, 13:59   #19459
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm using a 6" phone.
Battery lasts for 1.25 days, though I do put it on charge at night.
The screen is big enough for meaningful Skype conversations.
Inevitable waits for clients mean I can use it to watch videos/news , and read books.
It's very comfortable to use held against the ear.
Keyboard is much bigger to use, and easier to Swype.
It fits amazingly well in my pocket.
It costs 24 k, and is a Sony.
All bases covered.
So you see, it's a matter of usage, and trying it at least once, rather than just generically assuming the phablet is a useless segment.
Sony, Asus, Samsung, it's not as if they got to where they are in the mobile space by assuming some products would work, or making some products for "passion".

Last edited by mayankk : 16th October 2014 at 14:01.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:09   #19460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Smartphones having screen size of less than 5" and having resolutions of FHD or HD are enough. More resolution means more strain on processors, thus need of more powerful processor which turns out more power hungry and requires bigger and more powerful battery.
I have S3 and Nexus 5 at the moment and I find these screens inadequate for media consumption (Both screens are close to 5 inches ). I can carry a Nexus 7 / ipad mini for that purpose, but would rather not.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this depends on preferences of end users. Some would want bigger screen some would not.

Ultimately market would determine what would survive. In my opinion, both categories will find buyers.
Old 16th October 2014, 17:36   #19461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post, this depends on preferences of end users. Some would want bigger screen some would not.

Ultimately market would determine what would survive. In my opinion, both categories will find buyers.
Very true. I was the first in my office to get a 5 inch screen and people would ask how I can even hold it, make calls etc. Now, everyone has a 5 inch screen. I'm now interested in a 6 inch screen - if I can get it for a good price. We don't use the phone for "calls" anymore anyway.
Old 16th October 2014, 20:39   #19462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Any Spice Dream Uno users here? I am planning to pick up a budget phone for mom and wanted feedback on this phone. Any other phone suggestions? Budget is around 6.5K and I am not very tech savy with phones (not enough to play with roms or rooting/unrooting).

P
I would suggest Asus zenfone 4. Good hardware spec and build quality. I picked this for my sis. Happy going so far. Front camera was a draw point for me for occasional video calls. This feature is rare in this price range.
Old 17th October 2014, 16:12   #19463
BHPian

Looking for a phone to replace my 1st gen Moto G.

Budget about - 20~25k

Minimum specs:

Dual Sim Support
Snapdragon 800 Processor
2gb Ram (minimum)
Screen Size 4.7~5.2
FullHD IPS panel
Corning gorilla glass 3
Min 16gb inbuilt memory
Full day battery life (similar to Moto G)

Don't care much about stuff like camera / microsd slot / water proof / nfc / etc.

Any suggestions guys?

Last edited by vikash49 : 17th October 2014 at 16:13.
Old 17th October 2014, 16:35   #19464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post

Budget about - 20~25k

Minimum specs:

Dual Sim Support

Any suggestions guys?
Well Flipkat is running exchange offer on Moto X again thought the discount is a tad lower at 6k. We ordered a couple of them and they are really nice to use. Should be in your range. Do check it

Edit: Sorry missed your requirement for dual sim. Moto X is not for you then.

Last edited by indian21r : 17th October 2014 at 16:37. Reason: Dual sim
Old 18th October 2014, 23:37   #19465
BHPian

Since 2 charging cycles I have observed this strange thing with my Mi3. After reaching 99%, it takes almost an hour to reach the 100% mark.

Can someone please tell me what can be the problem? Also any Mi3 users experienced this problem? Thanks.

-Bhargav
Old 19th October 2014, 01:03   #19466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Budget about - 20~25k

Minimum specs:

Dual Sim Support
Snapdragon 800 Processor
2gb Ram (minimum)
Screen Size 4.7~5.2
FullHD IPS panel
Corning gorilla glass 3
Min 16gb inbuilt memory

Don't care much about stuff like camera / microsd slot / water proof / nfc / etc.

Any suggestions guys?
You have to wait for Mi4. All other high end phones don't have dual sim support
Old 19th October 2014, 05:08   #19467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Since 2 charging cycles I have observed this strange thing with my Mi3. After reaching 99%, it takes almost an hour to reach the 100% mark.

Can someone please tell me what can be the problem? Also any Mi3 users experienced this problem? Thanks.

-Bhargav
It has been the same for me till I was on 23.0 version. Compared the battery performance with a friend with same behaviour and another with normal behaviour. It was the same with screen on time of ~6hrs with our usage. Also total charge time from 0-100 remained the same. Noticed that it doesnt get struck at 99% since I updated to 34.0
Old 19th October 2014, 06:18   #19468
BHPian

Quote:

Budget about - 20~25k

Minimum specs:

Dual Sim Support
Snapdragon 800 Processor
2gb Ram (minimum)
Screen Size 4.7~5.2
FullHD IPS panel
Corning gorilla glass 3
Min 16gb inbuilt memory

Any suggestions guys?
Check out Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro. Little costlier at 33K but specs are great.

http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-vibe-...e-a6411afa5659
Old 19th October 2014, 08:45   #19469
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem. Received Redmi 1s from Flipkart. It does not boot! Only MIUI logo comes and that's it. Can get it into fast boot mode or cleaning mode with use of power+ volume button.

Flipkart says complaint will be handled in two or three days. In the meanwhile any suggestions?
Old 19th October 2014, 09:10   #19470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Problem. Received Redmi 1s from Flipkart. It does not boot! Only MIUI logo comes and that's it. Can get it into fast boot mode or cleaning mode with use of power+ volume button.

Flipkart says complaint will be handled in two or three days. In the meanwhile any suggestions?
Volume down + power should get you in to recovery mode. Try this carefully.
After you go in to recovery, install a custom recovery and then install MOKEE ROM or CM on your Redmi 1S.

Watch this video

Last edited by F150 : 19th October 2014 at 09:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks