Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 21:41   #22711
BHPian

My dad's colleague is on an official trip to China. He will be there till 29th. The guy is not much into phones. Is it advisable to ask him to get a good Android phone from there? Has anyone here bought phones from China? I am skeptical about the 4G bands, don't know if he can understand it while buying them.
Old 19th January 2016, 21:57   #22712
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
My dad's colleague is on an official trip to China. He will be there till 29th. The guy is not much into phones. Is it advisable to ask him to get a good Android phone from there? Has anyone here bought phones from China? I am skeptical about the 4G bands, don't know if he can understand it while buying them.
My recommendation - get a moto g turbo ( octa core processor, 2 GB RAM, industry grade water proofing, stock android, turbo charging, dual sim 4g and the ergonomics of a Motorola ) for 12000 odd from flipkart. Will give you much better peace of mind.
Old 19th January 2016, 23:53   #22713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This is a very good point. In this day of big data and collecting every bit of information that corporates can about you, it would be nice to have an option to be able to use all the apps that you want to use without having to give too much of data about yourself or your usage away. I am talking about how Google (surely) is collecting data about everything you use on the phone - maps included. There should be an option to use maps (this is just an example) without having a google id. To be able to install apps without a google id either. I mean, it is technically possible to do this even now I guess by rooting an Android phone and wiping Gapps and side-load apps...

I have only recently started realising that I am getting bored of Android.

I am already bored. This strongly negates the seemingly great benefit of millions of app collection of google. So annoyingly inquisitive. I'm still stunned that all the users put up with this treatment so easily.

On top of that, it's an open fact that we have to unnecessarily pay from our pocket for the extra hardware requirements like a fat ram and fatter battery to "enjoy" this annoyance to acceptable levels. And it's getting worse by the day with each new OS upgrade. Most upmarket phones need more RAM that a decent PC to even start working acceptably.

I, for one, am seriously considering Windows as my next phone OS. Someone should start a revolution to make these people se sense.
Old 20th January 2016, 09:57   #22714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why there is no Android 6.0/Marshmallow release for 'Nexus 4' ?
Google policy to support only 18 months is reason I guess. However Nexus 4 has Marshmallow support from CM and other custom ROM.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:06   #22715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Google policy to support only 18 months is reason I guess. However Nexus 4 has Marshmallow support from CM and other custom ROM.
Incorrect. My Nexus 5 came with gingerbread and is currently running Marshmallow. 18 months is the minimum, not the maximum.
Old 20th January 2016, 10:23   #22716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Incorrect. My Nexus 5 came with gingerbread and is currently running Marshmallow. 18 months is the minimum, not the maximum.

Sir nexus 4 was launched with 4.0 IIRC, the nexus 5 was the launch device for 4.4 Kitkat, in end 2013. The galaxy nexus launched in 2011 was the last version to run gingerbread.
Old 20th January 2016, 11:49   #22717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
This is a very good point. In this day of big data and collecting every bit of information that corporates can about you, it would be nice to have an option to be able to use all the apps that you want to use without having to give too much of data about yourself or your usage away.
I am running MIUI v7 on my Lenovo K3 Note and have permission control, auto-start control, data usage control and background location access control. I guess that's good enough for me.

For example, I have turned off all permissions for flipkart.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-autostart.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-bgr-location.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-data-usage.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-overview-permissions.png  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-flip.png  

Old 20th January 2016, 11:58   #22718
BHPian

Quote:
The Nexus 5 was launched with 4.4 KitKat, and I'm pretty sure the last Nexus to run gingerbread was the Nexus S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Sir nexus 4 was launched with 4.0 IIRC, the nexus 5 was the launch device for 4.4 Kitkat, in end 2013. The galaxy nexus launched in 2011 was the last version to run gingerbread.
The Nexus 4 was launched with 4.1 Jellybean, And the Galaxy Nexus was launched with 4.0 ICS.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:41   #22719
BHPian

Quote:
Nexus 5 came with Kitkat. Not Ginerbread. Nexus S came with Gingerbread (i had it till last month). Google stopped supporting Nexus S after Jelly bean. But its kept alive by CM till KitKat.
Nexus Line and its supported os is available in link

Last edited by RaguHolla : 20th January 2016 at 12:43.
Old 20th January 2016, 14:12   #22720
Distinguished - BHPian

I was browsing through app permissions (Marshmallow) and wondered why Tapatalk should have access to my contacts. I turned it off --- and tapatalk crashes. So the awful default sig is not the only bad thing about tapatalk!
Old 20th January 2016, 14:41   #22721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
.....have permission control, auto-start control, data usage control and background location access control......

Permission control being available is one thing, what happens to an app after you've turned off some of its permissions is entirely another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I turned it off --- and tapatalk crashes....
Exactly my point. We get individual permission controls with 6.0, but that doesn't take away from the fact that most apps are either crippled to some extent or downright unusable after tinkering with said controls.

I could very easily disable/enable apps as I need them (like I did in the past with seldom-used intrusive apps like Flipkart), instead of playing with permissions not knowing upfront what removing a certain permission will do to the app or worse, my phone.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th January 2016 at 14:42.
Old 20th January 2016, 15:03   #22722
BHPian

Re: Marshmallow for Nexus 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Do we have to root to install these ROM? Could you please provide me with pointers on how to install these ROM?

Thanks!
Old 20th January 2016, 16:16   #22723
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marshmallow for Nexus 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Do we have to root to install these ROM? Could you please provide me with pointers on how to install these ROM?

Thanks!
Check http://www.techtimes.com/articles/93...ur-nexus-4.htm
Old 20th January 2016, 22:33   #22724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Permission control being available is one thing, what happens to an app after you've turned off some of its permissions is entirely another.

Exactly my point. We get individual permission controls with 6.0, but that doesn't take away from the fact that most apps are either crippled to some extent or downright unusable after tinkering with said controls.

I could very easily disable/enable apps as I need them (like I did in the past with seldom-used intrusive apps like Flipkart), instead of playing with permissions not knowing upfront what removing a certain permission will do to the app or worse, my phone.
Very good point, particlarly with an app like flipkart. If I have to know the Flipkart price when I'm out and about, I can enable the app. This is really not going to happen very often: whilst they still allow it ( ), my relationship with online sellers is via the desktop, not the phone.
Old 20th January 2016, 22:43   #22725
BHPian

Nexus 5X is going at 20.9k on flipkart for the 16Gb edition. Can come down to 19.5 with HDFC cards. Is it worth buying? Coming from a Galaxy Nexus. I would like the phone to have developer support for atleast 3 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks