Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 11:16   #24301
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Thank you Ji. One more question, Moto G4 Plus or Moto X Play. Play doesn't have fingerprint reader but has a bigger battery.
Both will get Android 7 and have similar performance I think (based on the 61X series of processors).
Thought of the Style as well but I am not sure if the battery life is as good as the others since it carries a QHD display and a smaller battery than the Play.
The G (4+). The X Play is a generation older. The 615 is a lot more heat-prone than the 617. Plus the G will get another big update (android O) as it is newer. Better low light and indoor camera performance on the G too, due to the laser AF. And apart from the battery the Play doesn't have anything extra, such as stereo speakers.
Old 20th August 2016, 11:45   #24302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The G (4+). The X Play is a generation older. The 615 is a lot more heat-prone than the 617. Plus the G will get another big update (android O) as it is newer. Better low light and indoor camera performance on the G too, due to the laser AF. And apart from the battery the Play doesn't have anything extra, such as stereo speakers.
Thank you mukul32. I knew the Play was a year old but the big battery was inviting. But if there are these many advantages with the G4+, then it makes sense to go with it.
Old 20th August 2016, 12:11   #24303
BHPian

How many of here have tried Google Duo?

easy to use video call/chat app. Have been using Hangouts since it was introduced as Google Talk and I still love it but not many people use it, especially those who don't use emails etc. Hangouts kind of evolved as a contact app for professionals.

On the other hand, Duo is easy, majority of people who use WahtsApp will find it easy since it also uses the phone as id. Its lightweight and simple app.

Allo is also going to be launched as a separate messenger app, similar to WhatsApp. preregistration is open.
Old 20th August 2016, 13:38   #24304
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Bluetooth Problem

Phone, Moto X Play, 6.0, rooted.
Car, VW Polo GT TDI 1.6, 2014 (Original TDI)

It has turned unreliable. It is paired, and the head unit display is indicating dialing, talking, etc, but there is no sound from either HU or phone my end, and the called person is not hearing me.

Reboot of the phone seemed to make it work again, then it stopped.

Any suggestions? I've never much used Bluetooth before.
Old 20th August 2016, 13:57   #24305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So far on the shortlist :
1. Asus Zenfone 2 Max for its 5000mAh battery
2. Redmi Note 3 32GB
3. Honor 5X (only 16GB model available)
4. Coolpad Note Max
5. Coolpad Note 3 Plus (only 16GB model available)
6. Moto G plus 32GB, 4th gen
7. Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 32GB
8. One+ 3 ( though low priority due to price and no SD card slot)
9. Samsung J8 (removable battery!)

I mainly use the phone for mobile surfing, social media, watching videos on the go and such , so good screen , sound , battery capacity and storage are the chief concerns.
Finally decided on #7 , Asus Zenfone 2 Laser ZE601KL since the Redmi Note 3 constantly was out of stock, even trying to buy immediately as I saw it come in stock, by the time I'm trying to complete the transaction, it's out of stock. Hence the Asus.

It's a 6" screen device, full HD , with removable 3000mAh li-polymer battery. Ordered 8th late night and delivered 12th Aug, so using it around a week now. It's serving me well for reading, watching videos with that screen.

What I liked:
1. Screen size : good carpet area ! colors and resolution are nice, brightness doesn't go very high at max, but indoor visibility is good. Outdoor in sunlight have yet to see a good screen that works there

2.Battery : while still not a 2-days on a charge phone, it drains slower than the Samsung Note 2 did , although I'm comparing a 4 year old phone and battery to a brand new one.

3. Performance : it's not the fastest phone subsystem but more than enough for me. I get over 1GB free RAM most of the time , the Asus RAM management app seems to do a fine job. Not tried gaming yet, only plants vs zombies so far. Not got any heating issues yet and the thick protecting back case I guess will insulate the heat from reaching the hand.

4. Sound : The loudspeaker is good. Dual speakers at the back, they play my MP3 tracks quite clearly. Sound through the earphones is good too. A colleague got the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 just couple of days before me, I do feel the Xiaomi has a better sound processor via the earphones.

Dislikes:
1. Button placements - the power button is on top, with the earphone port beside it. With a T-style earphone plug, I have to move the earphone jack to uncover the power button (to lock screen). The volume buttons are behind below the camera. Not a big problem but takes getting used to.

2.ASUS UI : looks a bit cartoonish to me, the icons and colors chosen. I liked the Samsung UI much better. Some things like getting to airplane mode are nested deeper than they should be, on the Samsung it was in the top drop-down menu.

Other things:
Double tap the screen to open and lock : when screen is off, double tap to turn on (it displays notifications, unlocking still takes the pattern or code to be drawn/typed if used) which itself is good , but to lock again, you must be on an icon-free screen, else it opens the closest app. In case of music apps, I can pause/play the music after using double tap without unlocking the phone, but after pausing or resuming playback , double tap doesn't turn off the screen again.
Old 20th August 2016, 15:32   #24306
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you mukul32. I knew the Play was a year old but the big battery was inviting. But if there are these many advantages with the G4+, then it makes sense to go with it.
G4+ also has 3gb RAM option which Moto X play does not. That along with the convenience of fingerprint scanner make it the preferred choice for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Car Bluetooth Problem

Phone, Moto X Play, 6.0, rooted.
Car, VW Polo GT TDI 1.6, 2014 (Original TDI)

It has turned unreliable. It is paired, and the head unit display is indicating dialing, talking, etc, but there is no sound from either HU or phone my end, and the called person is not hearing me.

Reboot of the phone seemed to make it work again, then it stopped.

Any suggestions? I've never much used Bluetooth before.
I also started having Bluetooth issues with my Moto G after installing CM 13. Only workaround is to disable media connection and enable it only for phone connection. I'm not sure if it's the same issue in your case, since it worked fine when I was on Moto's stock ROM, but you can try and see if it helps.
Old 20th August 2016, 15:48   #24307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
I also started having Bluetooth issues with my Moto G after installing CM 13. Only workaround is to disable media connection and enable it only for phone connection. I'm not sure if it's the same issue in your case, since it worked fine when I was on Moto's stock ROM, but you can try and see if it helps.
I'm still on the stock rom, although rooted and Xposed stuff installed. I've removed a couple of apps that seemed to be affecting basic phone functions recently, but otherwise not made any changes.

If the problem is still happening, I will remove the other paired items, of which one is a speaker. Also, thanks, will try disabling the media connection too. Don't much use it anyway.
Old 20th August 2016, 17:03   #24308
BHPian

Hi!
Anybody got their hands on Redmi 3s? Specs looks promising for a sub 10k phone. Battery is 4000mah. Even has a IR blaster.
I was thinking of going for the 2 gb variant for my dad. Will 3gb vs 2gb ram make a great difference for a moderate use. Fingerprint sensor won't be much of a use.

Also I got the MIUI 8 update for my aging Redmi 1s.
This is what I love about Xiaomi. They still roll updates even for their 2 year old phones. MIUI 8 also has the search functionality within their Settings list.
Overall highly satisfied with the brand.
Old 20th August 2016, 18:15   #24309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ji. One more question, Moto G4 Plus or Moto X Play. Play doesn't have fingerprint reader but has a bigger battery.

Both will get Android 7 and have similar performance I think (based on the 61X series of processors).
G4 for the following reasons.

1. Lighter than the play and hence very easy to hold.
2. 617 takes care of the heating issue of 615.
3. 617 is 100% compatible with reliance Jio 's 4g bands ( 850 MHz 4g support )
4. Thanks to the combination of battery friendly 4 cores and the doze feature of Android 6, and the stock Android battery efficiency, 3000 mAh battery is more than enough for an all day battery life.
5. Even if you loose out on charge, the turbo charger is such a blessing to get the phone back to life within a few minutes.
Old 20th August 2016, 21:58   #24310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Also I got the MIUI 8 update for my aging Redmi 1s.
This is what I love about Xiaomi. They still roll updates even for their 2 year old phones. MIUI 8 also has the search functionality within their Settings list.
Overall highly satisfied with the brand.
Hi Sherlocked, my daughter's redmi 2 is still on miui 7.5. 3.0 and there are no updates available. Do let me know how to get the miui 8.
Old 20th August 2016, 23:06   #24311
BHPian

Redmi 1s may have miui 8 now , but it's still android kit kat . All pointless . I have a Redmi note 4G and Redmi 1s . Both on kit kat but miui 8 .
Old 21st August 2016, 02:41   #24312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Hi Sherlocked, my daughter's redmi 2 is still on miui 7.5. 3.0 and there are no updates available. Do let me know how to get the miui 8.
Hi!
I got it as an OTA update. They'll roll it out for other devices too.
Old 21st August 2016, 09:26   #24313
Distinguished - BHPian

A few weeks into using Z5 Premium and its every bit as I hoped it to be, with the main attraction being the screen and its competition crushing 806 ppi resolution (which is quite clearly visible when switching from its 1080p default). The 4K kicks in only when playing videos otherwise it keeps to a battery saving 1/4th resolution.

Other stuff like battery life, camera and speed are pretty much standard Sony - great in all of them. I don't use much apps and its only basic calling, messaging and light video browsing so I feel its over-specced for my needs but hey that screen makes it worth every bit it cost. Much cheaper than the flagship of Apple - the 6S Plus and the Sony squashes it in every way possible (despite being smaller, cheaper, lighter and having lower SAR ratings).

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=7243

Of course I understand an Apple is an Apple, it has as much snob appeal if not more than the Sony but technically there simply is no competition. The phone flies in terms of speed too.
Old 21st August 2016, 17:54   #24314
BANNED

Has only used Cyanogenmod or any other custom ROMs for Dell Venue 7. The Dell Venue 7's own Android is useless and with too many bugs.
Old 21st August 2016, 19:58   #24315
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to buy the Xperia Z3? My One+ has started to act up of late, it reboots on its own every time I try to merge calls into conference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks