Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 20:07   #24856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I was looking for a budget smart phone and thought of going for Redmi 3S. Tried to buy during flipkart flash sale around noon today. I was able to add to cart but when I clicked to checkout it was showing 'not available'. Is this how things work? I was trying to buy something like this for the first time.

What are the other options?

Requirement:
5" screen
good build quality
decent camera

It will be used for making calls, watching videos, clicking pics, facebook, whatsapp etc

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th October 2016 at 20:09.
Old 28th October 2016, 20:46   #24857
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lateesh,
You can try the Moto G4 play. It should be a really good choice considering the neutral nature of Moto phones.
Old 30th October 2016, 07:44   #24858
Senior - BHPian

Hi my requirement has been updated. The requirement is super quirky and apologies if it sounds illogical but please humor me, and don't deviate from the specs:
- Fairly good camera. Think iPhone 6 level, not Pixel level.
- Very good speakerphone. The kind where you can listen to a conference call easily while taking a bath, or while shopping in a busy old Delhi market
- Should be able to record phone calls without rooting and trying to install different apps. Xiaomi phones are brilliant at this, with the call recording feature built into the dialer.

Hygiene factors: Call quality should be great enough that you can last all day on 3G without needing 2G to have an undropped call, Battery life should not be bad (RN3 can last 2 days!), phone should not stutter, and should have 3GB RAM and fingerprint sensor.

I'm sure 25k is a reasonable budget for this spec sheet. Which phones would stand up?
a. Mi5 is my standout favorite even though I haven't spent much time with it esp with the camera. reason being I love the MIUI.
b. OP3 - does it record calls?

Which other phone makes the cut? Moto Z play is out because it doesnt record calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Are you talking about a stable custom rom or a stable stock rom?

Between the two options, I would prefer OnePlus 3, although Moto Z play is quite close.
Why not try the Lenovo Z2? Seems superb VFM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
I got the Z delivered this Friday and have tried OnePlus 3, S7, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and IPhone 6S in current year. I am really liking the Moto Z so far. Camera and battery may not really be a strength though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
For people considering Moto Z play, please note that the SIM2 slot does NOT support 4G. This is irrespective of whatever the specs say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
One Plus 3 all the way mate. While I have not personally experienced the Moto Z Play, I am using the OP3 as my daily driver for several months now. Its been a solid user experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Everyone loves the OP3 - It is a great VFM Flagship. And the software tweaks are enhancement of Android rather than impediments. And a screen which is just awesome.
Quote:
Hi Lateesh,
You can try the Moto G4 play. It should be a really good choice considering the neutral nature of Moto phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hello esteemed members!

Highly confused while choosing the next phone, hence, seeking your able guidance!
What did you choose finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
P.S. On a separate note, I am planning to gift a phone in the range of 12 to 15K - does Redmi Note 3 win hands down here? Reading the previous pages, I got a hint that it's got an issue with the ringer and the camera. How bad is it?
It is bad enough that the phone is being sold off. While the camera's lack of details can be solved by using Cyanogen Camera, the deal breaker is the speakers. For someone whose life involves 2-3 conference calls a day - this phone has the absolute worst speaker I have experienced in ANY phone till date. You can't use the speakerphone or play music on speakers while on the road or even in a open plan office. The phone is hobbled by Mi's software settings, not in hw. The only solution is to root it, but then my official email will stop working.
Old 30th October 2016, 09:22   #24859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The only solution is to root it, but then my official email will stop working.
You can root, install a custom rom (to resolve all MIUI related issued) and again unroot. This way (hopefully) your official email will continue to work. WOrth a try. Do keep a backup of your current rom and apps.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:01   #24860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moto Z play is out because it doesnt record calls.
You can probably install any relevant app from playstore for this job. I believe.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:16   #24861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
You can root, install a custom rom (to resolve all MIUI related issued) and again unroot. This way (hopefully) your official email will continue to work. WOrth a try. Do keep a backup of your current rom and apps.
Doesn't work - I had a S3 earlier which had CM11 and I had unrooted it. The Good app just wouldnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
You can probably install any relevant app from playstore for this job. I believe.
Nahi bhai - In my earlier experiments, no other un-rooted app comes remotely close to MIUI's inbuilt tool in terms of proper sound quality without any static or echoes etc.
Old 31st October 2016, 11:43   #24862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I was looking for a budget smart phone and thought of going for Redmi 3S. Tried to buy during flipkart flash sale around noon today. I was able to add to cart but when I clicked to checkout it was showing 'not available'. Is this how things work? I was trying to buy something like this for the first time.

What are the other options?

Requirement:
5" screen
good build quality
decent camera

It will be used for making calls, watching videos, clicking pics, facebook, whatsapp etc

Thanks in advance
A friend recently got the Lenovo Vibe S1 (32gb) for 10k odd from Amazon. I really liked the build quality with metal frame and glass both front and back. The phone feels lightweight but good to hold (compared to my Redmi Note 3). The UI is something custom over stock Android but is not too intrusive. A novelty feature is, it has dual cams up front for "selfies" and it allows you to change the d-o-f once the pic is taken. Not a deal-maker or breaker but just a party trick.

Talking of party tricks, it also lacks a fingerprint sensor. BUT, has the nifty tap-to-wakeup feature built in to the stock ROM.

32GB onboard storage is a boon, along with the 3GB RAM. Worth a look, I would say.
Old 31st October 2016, 17:34   #24863
BHPian

Quote:
Hi my requirement has been updated...Very good speakerphone. The kind where you can listen to a conference call easily while taking a bath, or while shopping in a busy old Delhi market...Should be able to record phone calls without rooting and trying to install different apps. Xiaomi phones are brilliant at this, with the call recording feature built into the dialer.
Firstly, thanks for your feedback on the RedMi Note 3.

Secondly, I am mostly sold on the One Plus 3, however, didn't have a SBI card to buy it during the Diwali offer, so waiting for an offer clubbed with another bank. May take a while now since festivities are over, but I will wait it out.

My decision to buy the One Plus 3 is based on 2 aspects -

1. Feedback from forum members and couple of family members.
2. In-depth review on AnandTech - http://www.anandtech.com/show/10411/...eplus-3-review

There are battery issues reported from my family members who have it (2 One Plus 3 in the same house, purchased from different vendors on Amazon India). They say they have to charge the phone twice, daily. However, I have not yet discussed with them, in-detail, on what they are doing that the battery is draining so fast! Having said that, even if I need to charge it daily, I can manage it in all situations except long distance travel.

Reconsidered the Moto Z Play (rejected again due to boring design and no 4G in 2nd sim) and Lenovo Z2 Plus (5 inches screen - I need more, and also some reviews on Amazon are not encouraging) - however, I keep myself dragging back to the One Plus 3. Mi5 is good, but 32 GB inbuilt and no further room for expansion is a strict no-no for me!

On your requirement for loud speakers - kindly go for a phone that's equipped with front firing dual speakers. I have the same in my current HTC E8, and honestly speaking, every other phone in that range just seems to me like emitting noise instead of sound. These speakers are crystal clear and just yesterday I reaffirmed by belief while playing the same track back to back on a Mi4i and HTC E8.

With regards to recording calls - I am currently using ACR - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....nll.acr&hl=en

If I recall correctly, I paid INR 50/- and purchased the licensed version to store recorded calls in Cloud. Trust me, I have more than 1500 recorded calls, right from client meetings, internal team meetings, client round interviews, numerous KT sessions, calls with Banking Ombudsman, etc., and they are all crystal clear. Voice of both parties can be heard as if they are talking in real-time. I am sure you can buy a license and try it out on your existing phone and if satisfied, can install it on your new phone that you decide to buy.

Coming back to the One Plus 3, as I mentioed earlier, it's almost finalized. Had there been an offer on Citibank or HDFC, I would have already bought it! However, since there are none, I am waiting for one as well as continuing to explore other options, if they exist in this price range.

Kindly note - all my experiences till date are on Android devices. My comparison doesn't have Apple devices in question. Also, I have never rooted my Android devices due to company and client policy. The only device rooted till now was my wife's Xolo Q3000, which had an agonizing 1 GB of internal memory available for apps, which I had to expand to 8GB after rooting (MTK device).
Old 31st October 2016, 20:13   #24864
Senior - BHPian

My only gripe with the OP3 is the lack of a memory card slot. I need that slot to store my flacs :( i keep looking at my wife's OP3 in envy :P

And the dash charge is pretty good.
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:44   #24865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Lateesh,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
A friend recently got the Lenovo Vibe S1 (32gb) for 10k odd from Amazon.
Thanks, went ahead and bought Moto G4 Play for 7999/- (after discount).
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:03   #24866
Distinguished - BHPian

After months of dilly-dallying, finally went ahead and bought the Galaxy S7 edge, onyx black. It feels so good to be back into the world of Android after a painful 5 month experiment with iOS.
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:35   #24867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
After months of dilly-dallying, finally went ahead and bought the Galaxy S7 edge, onyx black. It feels so good to be back into the world of Android after a painful 5 month experiment with iOS.
Congrats. S7 Edge is the most feature balanced and cost effective 'flagship' at the moment IMHO.

Enjoy it. Cheers...
Old 3rd November 2016, 02:17   #24868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I know that feeling. I tried the IOS for 2 weeks and this is the 2nd innings.. No way I can live without Android. I was trying out the Moto Z and the S7E and both are good phones I should say. The Moto Z has a cool form factor and the S7E has an awesome battery. I ended up keeping the S7E and my wife is using the Z. I just ordered the UAG case for it. Have you decided on a Screen protector for the phone? I tried a curved glass one and returned it.
Old 3rd November 2016, 06:16   #24869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I know that feeling. I tried the IOS for 2 weeks and this is the 2nd innings.. No way I can live without Android. I was trying out the Moto Z and the S7E and both are good phones I should say. The Moto Z has a cool form factor and the S7E has an awesome battery. I ended up keeping the S7E and my wife is using the Z. I just ordered the UAG case for it. Have you decided on a Screen protector for the phone? I tried a curved glass one and returned it.
No I haven't. Before this I never ever had a screen protector or a case. Usually manage to keep my phones quite safe and in good condition even without them. Doesn't a screen protector spoil the looks of this awesome curved display? Second I tried connecting this to my Iphone 5 using the smart switch option via the USB cable but it just kept showing connecting to iOS device for like a good 15-20 minutes after which I just terminated the process. How long does it take to connect? The Iphone is running on iOS 10 so that should be compatible ( they have mentioned iOS 5 and above are supported).
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:23   #24870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
could be an issue with the card? had such issues with a 128gb lexar card in my phone which worked fine in my shield tab but. popped a sandisk 128gb and voila all is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is a Sandisk card, only 16 GB. Was using it for a while, problem started only recently.
I removed the card, put it in a memory card reader and scanned it in my desktop. Some bad sectors were fixed. No problem after that so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks