Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 08:35   #24811
BHPian

I just manually installed the official Nougat OTA package on my Moto G4+.
Have to say, a commendably quick update, with a couple of neat features added on top of whatever's already new in Nougat. You can now tap and hold on the fingerprint scanner when screen is awake to turn the screen off, for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1477191919156.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2016, 09:41   #24812
Senior - BHPian

Sad to note that the Pixel is not supporting VoLTE. Google, wake up to India please...
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:05   #24813
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Sold my moto E2 ( 3G , 8GB ) on olx for 3300/-.

It was bought in Jan 2016 for 4999/- and I got a bank cashback of 15% making the effective price 4250/-.

The exchange offers I got on amazon and flipkart was 1300/- , which was way too low.

This is the fourth phone that I've sold online and I've always got a much better price than exchange offers.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:32   #24814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
I just manually installed the official Nougat OTA package on my Moto G4+.
Have to say, a commendably quick update, with a couple of neat features added on top of whatever's already new in Nougat. You can now tap and hold on the fingerprint scanner when screen is awake to turn the screen off, for example.
How did you do it. I tried for system update and it said my device has the latest update.

KK
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:27   #24815
Senior - BHPian

The wife and her best friend are both looking for a new phone. sub 30k, or sub 25k ideally. Good battery first, then good camera. Stable ROMs preferred (from day one my wife's one plus one cannot get data in 80% situations).

The contenders are:
MI5
1+3
Moto Z play

Any others we should consider? Please share your real world feedback.

The 1+3 is preferred esp because of its charging capability (which is mindblowing) but the wife doesnt really trust the 1+ brand after the 1+1 experience.
Old 23rd October 2016, 19:35   #24816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The wife and her best friend are both looking for a new phone. sub 30k, or sub 25k ideally. Good battery first, then good camera. Stable ROMs preferred (from day one my wife's one plus one cannot get data in 80% situations).
Are you talking about a stable custom rom or a stable stock rom?

Between the two options, I would prefer OnePlus 3, although Moto Z play is quite close.
I believe Moto G4 play has a 3500 mAh battery which lasts really long.

Two reasons why I would pick the OnePlus 3:
1. Dash charging
2. Snapdragon 821. The Moto Z play has a some Snapdragon 6xx processor.

Why not try the Lenovo Z2? Seems superb VFM.
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:37   #24817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I have a moto Z, ordered from flipkart a few days ago. Exchanged it with the LG G4 I had and so far it's been great. 4.5 hours of screen on time with two 4g Sims! And close to 5.5 on WiFi at home. If anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask me. Oh the 820 and stock Android is a welcome change from LG's UI. Also, did I mention how much I love the AMOLED? And man oh man, the thickness (or rather thin-ness) of this is unbelievable, easily the most premium smartphone I've held so far, better than the GS7 edge I'd say.
I have both the Z and S7 edge. Loving the size of the Z and the battery on the Edge. Both awesome phones. The camera pro mode on the Z is super cool! I'm thinking if I get couple moto mods I'll be happy with the Z and sell the edge.
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:49   #24818
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I got the Z delivered this Friday and have tried OnePlus 3, S7, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and IPhone 6S in current year. I am really liking the Moto Z so far. Camera and battery may not really be a strength though. Have also ordered an IPhone 7 plus for the camera performance.
Old 25th October 2016, 11:47   #24819
BHPian

Any RedMi 3S Prime user here? Mine doesn't get 3G on Mobile Data. It shows E. Never H or H+. Anybody faced this issue? Any fix? Even tried a factory reset yesterday. Got H for a while before moving back to E. The same SIM didn't have any problem in the previous Lumia. My other phone gets H from the same location. :(
Old 25th October 2016, 19:55   #24820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I took it to the local Xiaomi service center and a friendly engineer helped me by just checking the issue with his bare hands outside of office hours and said there definitely is some shorting and to get a replacement as soon as possible.

I'm trying for amazon returns but the stupid app used for initiating return, SmartChk, is not providing the right PIN to proceed further. Taken up the matter with amazon's customer care.
Since the item was out of stock for a replacement, the phone was returned for a refund which I am still awaiting.

So, in the mean time I bought the same item afresh as I liked and needed a Xiaomi RN3, alas forfeiting offers from the earlier purchase. The new piece arrived today and to my surprise, the same issue of mild electric shock from the back panel while charging is present with the new phone too. I took it to the service center and though they didn't check it physically as it was outside office hours, they said that there should not be the slightest of shock whatever be and added that I should return this too.

I tried charging the phone using another charger, another socket and another residence; still the issue persists. But I have to add that the issue is absent when the phone is being charged from the power bank.

I have no clue whatsoever.
Old 25th October 2016, 21:01   #24821
BHPian

OnePlus users on Marshmallow
Are you able to save files onto your external SD card post the upgrade ?

Tried everything , but not able to do this.
Eg: Using ES File Explorer not able to get out of the ..

Please choose the root directory
ScanDisk SD card (/storage/3637-3966)
of ext-SDCard to grant ES permission to operate
Old 25th October 2016, 21:07   #24822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Any RedMi 3S Prime user here? Mine doesn't get 3G on Mobile Data. It shows E. Never H or H+. Anybody faced this issue? Any fix? Even tried a factory reset yesterday. Got H for a while before moving back to E. The same SIM didn't have any problem in the previous Lumia. My other phone gets H from the same location. :(
Try using the second sim slot. It works sometimes.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:01   #24823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Try using the second sim slot. It works sometimes.
It's a hybrid slot, with the second being either a Nano SIM or an SD card. I'm using an SD card. This looks like a major issue.
http://en.miui.com/thread-320293-1-1.html
Old 25th October 2016, 22:26   #24824
BHPian

Hello esteemed members!

Highly confused while choosing the next phone, hence, seeking your able guidance!

2 phones currently on the radar - Moto Z Play and One Plus 3.

Landing cost of Moto Z Play after all discounts and trading in existing HTC E8 is around INR 16,000

Landing cost of One Plus 3 after all discounts is around INR 25,000. No trading existing phone here as Amazon is offering pretty less than Flipkart.

Main requirements are, and in this order -

1) Efficient multitasking (6 GB DDR4 vs 3 GB DDR3 on paper specs)
2) Call quality
3) Finger print sensor sensitivity and accuracy
4) GPS lock
5) Volume quality on videos (mostly indoors)
6) Amateur photography

I am ok with Custom UI if performance is not a compromise.

One Plus 3 uses the latest Qualcomm 820, while Moto Z Play doesn't. This and the 6 GB DDR4 RAM is making me consider One Plus 3 more and more.

One thing keeping me away from considering One Plus 3 is non-expandable memory. I know 64 GB is not less, but I am consistently hitting 32 GB on my existing device (16 GB + 32 GB card). Who knows this may prove to be a bottleneck in a year!

Moto X Play current being used in the house - first few minutes with Moto Z Play didn't throw much difference in the look and feel, although I am sure it exists, and I may get to know it once I spend more time with the Moto Z.

At this point in time I don't see myself going in for the Moto Mods, so that is surely not a deciding factor.

Apps used on the current phone are - T-Bhp, WhatsApp, Google Play Newstand, TOI, couple of Netbanking apps.

Absolutely no gaming at all on the phone!

Kindly suggest!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 25th October 2016 at 22:29.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:50   #24825
Team-BHP Support

For people considering Moto Z play, please note that the SIM2 slot does NOT support 4G. This is irrespective of whatever the specs say.

Most Viewed