Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 18:20   #24916
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ordered a Galaxy S7 edge for my dad @46k from TataCliq.com.

We explored the option of switching from Oneplus One to a Iphone 7 plus or 6s plus. Somehow the iphone 7 plus felt too huge. Why does apply need such a huge body for a 5.5" screen when the rest of mobile market is going for compact models.

We Considered Pixel as well but somehow lack of water resistance and similar body size as iphone plus killed the interest in it. Unlimited google photos at full size was enticing though

Finally of all the flagship's S7 felt like a best option. As long as it lasts for a couple of years we are good to go.
Old 6th November 2016, 18:38   #24917
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
1. That's overhyped. My brother in law still has a kindle that's circa 2008 or so. Still working fine. He forgets to recharge it for months yet the battery is decent.
I think you misunderstood me! My worry is not that a Kindle doesn't last long, rather if something does happen post warranty (1 year), Amazon India washes their hands off the responsibility of getting it fixed (at a price, of course)! This is unacceptable to me, and as a rule, I never buy such products, given decent alternatives (of course, I do buy HDDs, for example, because I do need them, and there is no alternative). Obviously, I do believe there are good alternatives to a Kindle.

Quote:
2. Again unnecessarily overthinking it. Its not that heavy. I've carried it in my trouser pocket so many times.
I'm not arguing that its too heavy or bulky, rather it's an extra item (plus charger etc.) to carry on my trips that I don't need to when I have my phablet that is useful for many other things too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
For conversion you have a good tool in 'calibre'. It can convert all your material into kindle format or vice versa.

Kindle can do PDF's. But the experience is much better with text based materials rather than one with graphics/pictures. If it is more of pictures/diagrams one can look at sony's 13 inch e-readers, which has native support for PDF format. The reading experience will be much better than your PC/Laptop.
I do have 'calibre' for times I need it. I just don't see the need to spend any time and effort to convert epubs that I don't need to if I just use a phablet instead of a Kindle (and as I said, I do have many GBs of epubs in my collection)!

Something like the Sony for large pdfs will be the next step, some time into the future. Is something like the Sony even available in India? And it's going to cost an-arm-and-a-leg too, I suspect. So, one-step-at-a-time, please. :-)

Quote:
For reading, day or night, nothing can come closer to e-readers. As they say, your eyes will thank you.
I believe this a very subjective view! Not for no reason e-readers are just a niche product now, with an overwhelming majority of ebooks read the world over on phones or tabs (and they are not just casual readers either).

I did ask my own not-so-young eyes the same question over a span of more than five years while reading hundreds of ebooks (no pdfs) on a 3.2" TFT screen (believe it or not). My reference point was, of course, not any e-reader, but even better, -- simply good old regular books! And my eyes told me, "do as you like, we don't care during daytime, but maybe try something a little better in darker rooms"!

I do, of course, read on a black screen with light-coloured letters, as I said. While during daytime there is no problem, in darker environments the black background on a backlit lcd screen leaches light, ruining the contrast. I can still keep reading for long, but with a bit less comfort than during daytime. That's the whole idea behind my seeking an AMOLED display this time, with the expectation that I could then turn down the foreground brightness even further, and there will be no discomfort to my eyes that way, even in darker environments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Why not the Samsung Galaxy On8? It has 5.5" FHD sAMOLED, 3gb ram, dual sim with separate microsd slot, 4G with VoLTE and removable 3300mah battery. Price is 15900. But it's only available on Flipkart.
For several reasons:
1) A 28nm processor (as against the J7's 14nm), and consequently, less power efficiency (on top of a higher resolution screen), among other things.
2) I never buy from non-WS Retail sellers on Flipkart, and
3) No black or dark grey colours (the real deal-breaker :-))!

Quote:
Lenovo P2 is a good alternative, rumors are it will be launched on 8th Nov for 15999. Specs are certainly better than J7 2016 or On8. If you are not in a hurry then I suggest wait and see at which price Lenovo launches the P2 and then decide.

.... And from my personal experience, Samsung has very good aftersales but .... Lenovo aftersales is a hit or miss
That's the whole concern! Maybe I shouldn't be too greedy for specs alone, and just accept Samsung's price gouging! :-)

Last edited by meerkat : 6th November 2016 at 18:44. Reason: typo
Old 6th November 2016, 20:00   #24918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
After reading various comments about the OP3, I have decided to drop it from my list.
I am on the look out for a new phone too, and your observation on the One Plus 3 left me puzzled!!

I see 3 comments on the One Plus 3, and all point to the same incident where in the phone's glass shattered upon impact.

I don't see how is One Plus 3 to blame for this issue, when it's not an issue in the first place, rather, an accident.

Out of all that I read on One Plus 3 till date, nowhere did I come across One Plus 3 claiming an unbreakable glass.

I am sure we have members in our forum whose Samsung, HTC, LG, iPhone, etc. broke upon falling.

Phones can slip and break on impact for various reasons -

1. Phone is slippery.

2. Hands are slippery.

3. Angle at which glass makes contact with the floor.

4. Type of flooring.

It's difficult to recreate the accident to exactly arrive at a conclusion on who's to blame, unless one has video evidence.

This more of seems to me like the typical car - brand - bashing incidents on the "Accidents in India with pics" thread, where just 2 or 3 pics of a mangled vehicle are enough to raise questions on its build quality, and no one bothers to analyze what actually could have transpired.

Money is yours, and so is the decision and choice of a phone.

However, dismissing a phone, which is otherwise a performance powerhouse, just because the display broke upon impact doesn't seem to be a deciding factor, at least to me.

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2016, 21:12   #24919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
I believe this a very subjective view!
I don't think it is just subjective. You can find studies that show how staring at laptop/mobile/tablet screens affects your sleep pattern. "Night mode" is being introduced in most gadgets to reduce that impact by filtering out the blue light, but that may not fully mitigate it. An ebook reader like Kindle does not emit light and would any day be better for your eyes and for overall health.

Quote:
Not for no reason e-readers are just a niche product now, with an overwhelming majority of ebooks read the world over on phones or tabs (and they are not just casual readers either).
Just because most people are doing it doesn't make it the right choice. People often choose convenience over health or other important factors.

Quote:
I did ask my own not-so-young eyes the same question over a span of more than five years while reading hundreds of ebooks (no pdfs) on a 3.2" TFT screen ... And my eyes told me, "do as you like, we don't care during daytime, but maybe try something a little better in darker rooms"!
A smoker might say that he has been smoking for 5, 10 or more years without feeling any impact. But that doesn't mean it's not affecting his health. Not saying that it's that bad but who knows what impact it could have over the long term.

For me, another reason to prefer E-readers is that on a phone there will be contant distractions with emails, whatsapp messages or other app notifications. With an e-book reader, I can concentrate on the book without unnecessary distractions.

Last edited by JonSnow : 6th November 2016 at 21:39.
Old 6th November 2016, 22:24   #24920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I don't see how is One Plus 3 to blame for this issue, when it's not an issue in the first place, rather, an accident.

I am sure we have members in our forum whose Samsung, HTC, LG, iPhone, etc. broke upon falling.
Difference in level of damage-resistance can be a factor behind this. Screen glass manufacturers (like Corning/Asahi/Dragontrail/Schott) supply glass at different levels of resistance at various price points.

If One Plus chose a glass that is not as tough, it would brake with smaller amount of impact as compared to other phones.
Old 6th November 2016, 23:28   #24921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Difference in level of damage-resistance can be a factor behind this. Screen glass manufacturers (like Corning/Asahi/Dragontrail/Schott) supply glass at different levels of resistance at various price points.

If One Plus chose a glass that is not as tough, it would brake with smaller amount of impact as compared to other phones.
well my (my wife's rather) OP3 has fallen 4 times so far but it has survived all the falls. of course it has a protective cover (Ringke Fusion bumper one). Earlier she was using the OP1 and it must have survived at least 30-40 falls! It had the official OP flip cover. We have couple of very naughty kids and our phones suffer

If someone doesnt put a phone in a case then I think its just criminal. Phones fall and glass shatters. You can go thru user reviews on Amazon and will find screen shattering on first fall for almost all the phones (only Moto Shattershield is an exception). No phone maker gives you the guarantee that screen wont shatter when the phone falls to the floor. Its a happenstance event. Screen may or may not shatter.

I think we should use a good case. That does help minimize loss because of unintentional falls.
Old 6th November 2016, 23:44   #24922
BHPian

I have been using OPO for about 22 months now and it has had several falls from varying heights and on different surfaces. I had a screen guard for about an year and it broke in one of those falls. Didn't get a new one since that and it has been withstanding all those drops without any issue. But I had a galaxy note that too was quite forgiving till one day it gave up with a minor fall. Every fall is unique. I don't think you can take these instances as proof of problem with one plus. My previous employer used to give free iPhone/galaxy s phones and there were a staggering number of cracked screens that would come to the it helpdesk for repairs.
Old 7th November 2016, 17:59   #24923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If someone doesnt put a phone in a case then I think its just criminal.
I had used cases for all my phones until I bought the OPO. It was such a beautiful phone and I wouldn't dare put a case over it. Nor a screen guard. My toddler son has thrown it around at least a 100 times, but nothing broke. The phone got sold a year and a half later with minor scratches on the edges. The OP3 is a beautiful phone and it is criminal to put a cheap 300 rupee plastic piece over that metal body.

ps: My nexus 5X has a case on, but that is only for hiding its ugly plastic. The screen is still naked.
Old 7th November 2016, 18:24   #24924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If someone doesnt put a phone in a case then I think its just criminal. Phones fall and glass shatters.
Can't be denied. Probably some glasses are more resistant to shattering than others, but the biggest factor, surely, is design. Some of the most expensive phones seem to have edge-to-edge or wrap-around glass, and how thin the bezel is has become a selling point.

Makes me wonder if phone makers want our phones to last as short a time as possible. But hey, I'm just an old cynic
Old 7th November 2016, 18:48   #24925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can't be denied. Probably some glasses are more resistant to shattering than others, but the biggest factor, surely, is design. Some of the most expensive phones seem to have edge-to-edge or wrap-around glass, and how thin the bezel is has become a selling point.
Glass will shatter if it falls. If it doesnt, you were lucky! Thats how I see it. If that were not the case, then phones companies will advertise it as a USP (so did Motorola for their Shattershield tech). Even if glass doesnot shatter, still screen or some other component (like camera) could be damaged by the fall. I think its always better to protect the phone as better as possible.

So long the phone company does not give me a guarantee for the screen against shattering, I will always use a cover. even if they do, I will still use a cover! Maybe I am paranoid

Quote:
Makes me wonder if phone makers want our phones to last as short a time as possible. But hey, I'm just an old cynic
That they do! I work for the biggest computer chipmaker in the world and their biggest headache (thats what the CEO tells us) is how to make people update their computers and laptops every two years (like the case is with mobile phones!!!)

Last edited by joslicx : 7th November 2016 at 18:52.
Old 7th November 2016, 18:58   #24926
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting bored of reading about shattering screens on phones.

The bottom line is that your screen is most likely going to break when you drop it, unless it falls flat on the floor.

Most of the time, our phones falls on the edges and that's the perfect condition for screens to shatter.

Quote:
If someone doesnt put a phone in a case then I think its just criminal.
Hold your horses buddy.

I don't use a case or a tempered glass on my Mi 4i. It's withstood three falls, each from a height of less than 2 feet. One just needs to be careful.

With kids, just buy a case that'll keep the phone intact during apocalypse.
Old 8th November 2016, 09:35   #24927
Senior - BHPian

Indeed, its only expected that if a phone (especially those with large glass areas) falls from a height, the glass may shatter, or at least crack. Some screens might be a little more resistant to cracking than others, but at the end of the day its all glass and hence prone to cracking upon impact. As others have mentioned, one is lucky if the glass returns without a blemish post a fall!

People have had different experiences with their phone screens. While my OP3 has already had multiple falls, there has been no damage to the screen nor the tempered glass that I use. Others, from what I read, have had adverse experiences different from mine. However, it may not make sense to base judgment on the quality of the device itself on the breakability of the phone screen.
Old 8th November 2016, 14:16   #24928
BHPian

With respect to breaking of glass , Moto X 2nd gen is the best device that I have seen, Slight projection of the speakers acted as a buffer and it never cracked even 4 feet high falls. Surprised to see that that design is not replicated.
Old 9th November 2016, 02:06   #24929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
With respect to breaking of glass , Moto X 2nd gen is the best device that I have seen, Slight projection of the speakers acted as a buffer and it never cracked even 4 feet high falls. Surprised to see that that design is not replicated.
exactly. even Galaxy S2 had a slightly raised edge. But in an OPO, the screen is raised above the edge of the phone. The same is the case with many phones today.

In my limited understanding, that's a step backward by many players.
Old 9th November 2016, 18:30   #24930
Senior - BHPian

Any Pixel users here? do share your experience with this device.

I looked at both the Pixel & the Pixel+ and the + is just too big for my liking. Would appreciate some feedback on the device(s) before putting cash down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks