Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 22:27   #28456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

You don't elaborate why your expectation is only 10-15 kbps.

Instead of assuming all the world is reporting wrong numbers, can we once try with the assumption that all these apps are right and your expectation is wrong?
Thanks for checking this out. I have attached the screenshot of the app I was referring to.

How I wish the reported speed was correct! The reason I suspect the speed is, my house has low internet connectivity, and there is hardly a 4g connection. In one of the session, the phone was stuck at H+ and was not loading anything, but the speed was showing to be 9.3 MBPS! It was rubbing salt to a wound! I doubt whether even theoretically H+ would go to such speed.

And intermittently it shows correct speeds in KBPS, so it is not a question of megabits vs megabytes either.

Additionally, another Android phone which never had Fast app involved shows correct speeds all time ( in line with expectations). I clearly remember the pre and post the Fast app time on this phone when such speed reporting apps started showing wrong speed.

I didn't understand your comment on both 10MBPS and 1 MBPS being correct. Can you please elaborate?

Appreciate your willingness to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1551026904780.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1551026956392.jpg  

Old 25th February 2019, 07:40   #28457
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

We'll take up the easier questions first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I doubt whether even theoretically H+ would go to such speed.
The theoretical maximum speed of HSPA+ is 42 Mbps.

Quote:
I didn't understand your comment on both 10MBPS and 1 MBPS being correct. Can you please elaborate?
Let us take a forum-appropriate analogy - of a highway. Suppose the contract is for building a highway with throughput of 1000 cars/hour. This is what the rated specification is going to be.

Now, let us say the contractor cheated a bit. The actual throughput is only 800 cars/hour. This is what the actual maximum achievable throughput is.

But you wouldn't find 800 cars exiting the highway every hour, if you bothered to sit at its edge and started counting. You might find 300 cars/hour during peak time and perhaps 50 cars/hour during off-peak time. This is actual utilization of the highway.

The Fast by Netflix app is measuring the 800 cars/hour number (maximum possible throughput of your Internet connection). This measurement requires significant capex from the side of the provider and hence it is a service offered only by major players. It also actually loads up your data connection and therefore results in data usage within your subscription's constraints.

The other app is measuring the 50 (or 300) cars/hour number. It is just an observer app. You use more data, this app will show a larger number.

If this second app is showing a larger than expected number, chances are that something in your device is actually using up that data bandwidth, which you might want to investigate. You can see per-app usage stats on the app's info screen > Data usage.

Quote:
my house has low internet connectivity, and there is hardly a 4g connection. In one of the session, the phone was stuck at H+ and was not loading anything, but the speed was showing to be 9.3 MBPS!
Note that Fast and other measurement providers have deals with major ISPs, so the throughput measured is from your device till the ISP. But your actual requirement is often from your device till a different service provider which is susceptible to other types of interference. For example, many ISPs downgrade your connection to a much lower speed after you exhaust your free data, but they still allow you to access services hosted at their own facilities at full speed.
Old 25th February 2019, 11:18   #28458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Let us take a forum-appropriate analogy - of a highway. Suppose the contract is for building a highway with throughput of 1000 cars/hour. This is what the rated specification is going to be.
If this second app is showing a larger than expected number, chances are that something in your device is actually using up that data bandwidth, which you might want to investigate. You can see per-app usage stats on the app's info screen > Data usage.
Got it. So in car's lingo, my speedometer might be showing the maximum speed that it can go at, not the current speed I am cruising at. But it was showing properly before!

Let me collect some more evidence, as I am perfectly sure that no way I am getting 9.3MBPS ever, especially when in reality I can't even open Google homepage.

This is a peculiar problem, very hard to believe. How can ALL apps show wrong speed? But I have been using this phone for past few months, and I know the speed I get at various locations. The usage experience matches the expectation, and I would expect flying performance at times when the connection is above 9MBPS. My best speed in LTE on idea has been less than 2MBPS, so seeing excess of 9MBPS in low range areas when no single webpage can be loaded is not reliable.

That being said, let me try and collect more evidence.
Old 25th February 2019, 17:34   #28459
Distinguished - BHPian

And it has arrived!

S10+ 128GB White.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20190225wa0011.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20190225wa0008.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20190225wa0007.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20190225wa0010.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20190225wa0009.jpg
Old 25th February 2019, 19:42   #28460
Distinguished - BHPian

Niiice! Did you take advantage of the exchange offers and cashback? I'm eyeing the + as well but like the Note 9 stylus too.

Which one is better?! Note 9 or S10+?
Old 25th February 2019, 20:32   #28461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And it has arrived!

S10+ 128GB White.

Looks cool. The wallpapers (assuming they are one of the default wallpapers) are so intelligent with dark on the right corner...hiding the camera lenses. Can you show how the notifications bar on top has changed owing to this "hole" in the display?
Old 25th February 2019, 23:20   #28462
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new phone. I will be ordering the S10 128 GB blue color in the next few days. Samsung looks like hit the bulls eye with the 10 series phones. Also, the pre-launch offers are pretty enticing. I am just wondering if the new cameras are improved than the 9 series and whether it can match the Iphones and Pixels.
Old 26th February 2019, 00:00   #28463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Niiice! Did you take advantage of the exchange offers and cashback? I'm eyeing the + as well but like the Note 9 stylus too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Congrats on the new phone. I will be ordering the S10 128 GB blue color in the next few days.
Quote:
I have pre-booked the S10+ (512GB, 8GB RAM).
Not mine, guys. This is a dealership special, which has reached into the hands of my Samsung dealer friend.

Mine will come only after 8th March. It's the 512GB variant. Refer to my previous post for details.

Quote:
From first impressions, the S10+ looks more than worthy to take on the Note 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Can you show how the notifications bar on top has changed owing to this "hole" in the display?
Will take some more snaps tomorrow and share.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th February 2019 at 00:02.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:09   #28464
BHPian

Quote:
And it has arrived!

S10+ 128GB White.

Nice one! Seems Samsung has included some well designed wallpapers that cleverly hide the camera section!
Old 26th February 2019, 11:44   #28465
Team-BHP Support

Checked out the S10 family phones during the office lunch break. Overall proportions are great, and the display looks brilliant but I am not so convinced with the punch-hole camera solution. Unlike the notch thing (which is behind the glass) this give a feel like a screen-protector film with a cut-out for camera. Just for that aspect, the S10 looked better than the S10+ with a less prominent cut-out on the former. I was looking to renew my work phone in April and had kept S10+ as the possible option, along with iPhone XS max, or Huawei mate 20 pro. But the seeing the Samsung I probably will choose between the Mate 20 Pro and XS Max, or maybe get the S10+ for wifey (if she is interested) and take her Note 9.

Quote:
Check both the phones side by side. My choice would be the Note 9. In car terms, the perceived build quality is much better for the Note
Old 26th February 2019, 12:05   #28466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Checked out the S10 family phones during the office lunch break. Overall proportions are great, and the display looks brilliant but I am not so convinced with the punch-hole camera solution.

Check both the phones side by side. My choice would be the Note 9. In car terms, the perceived build quality is much better for the Note
Thanks! A few random thoughts:

Agree on the bigger S10+ hole-punch. It is somehow jarring to me but I suppose we will just used to it as more and more manufacturers go for it.

The Note 9 rear panel looks somehow old fashioned to me compared to the sleeker ones now.

I think I need a stylus so its Note series for me - waiting for price to drop!

The S10 family's ultrasound fingerprint reader can be a major issue as I believe screen protectors are simply not compatible with the same! While I am not a big fan of protectors (unless of the highest quality), I suffered as my current OP5 fell face down (when barely 6 months old) and scratched the glass terribly. Suppose I am lucky it didn't break, but the scratches are still an eyesore.
Old 26th February 2019, 18:05   #28467
BHPian

Guys need suggestion. I currently have a Moto 360 2nd gen 46mm watch which is 3 years old, along with Note 9.

Am planning to get a new smart watch. Had set my eyes on Galaxy Watch 46mm which retails for INR 29,990. The 42mm galaxy watch is available for INR 24990.

I got a note 9 in Jan 2019 and along with it, there is an offer from Samsung to get Galaxy Watch 42mm for INR 9999. If its a 46mm, I'd have got it immediately.

Wondering how will be the battery life on 42mm.

Since I've been using a 46mm watch till now, felt the 42mm watch to be slightly smaller. So, should I get the 42mm at a discounted price of INR 9999 or pay the full INR 29990 and get 46mm watch. Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2019, 20:32   #28468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Since I've been using a 46mm watch till now, felt the 42mm watch to be slightly smaller. So, should I get the 42mm at a discounted price of INR 9999 or pay the full INR 29990 and get 46mm watch. Thanks in advance.
Brother, you will get used to the 4mm difference in no time. Buy it for 10k and save 20k - simple

Cheers
Old 28th February 2019, 15:52   #28469
BHPian

Quote:
The S10 family's ultrasound fingerprint reader can be a major issue as I believe screen protectors are simply not compatible with the same! While I am not a big fan of protectors (unless of the highest quality), I suffered as my current OP5 fell face down (when barely 6 months old) and scratched the glass terribly. Suppose I am lucky it didn't break, but the scratches are still an eyesore.
MKBHD did a demo on this. It works on the flexible plastic screen protectors but does not work on the tempered glass. You can check it out here :

Skip to 5:15 for the demo.

Old 28th February 2019, 16:14   #28470
BANNED

I have a Samsung S8. How do I delete apps. After a second SIM I had to remove the memory card, so memory is becoming short.

I could not exactly figure it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks