Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 16:40   #691
BHPian

In the process of upgrading to OS v4.5, my BB8830WE says App load error 5xx with an option to Reset. I clicked the trackball and the phone restarted. But the Loader.exe after restarting the phone said the loading was successful but some warnings were encountered when restoring apps to your device. Use Backup and Restore of BDM and restore from ..\My Documents\Backup 2009-04-10.ipd I am now doing the restore. The restore operation is on for the last 10 mins and no sign of finishing. The tray icon of BB Desktop Manager shows status as "Working"

Have I bricked my phone?
Old 10th April 2009, 17:32   #692
Team-BHP Support

Dont think you have bricked it yet, can you let us know the steps you took while upgrading? Also did you remove the sim and memory card while doing this? Always better to do this.

Usual step:
-Connect to DM
-Click update
-DM will download
-Install starts
-Goes for restart while DM waits
-Reloads all the stuff

Ensure you dont disturb the device and connection during this process.

Which step the error came up?

Worse case scenario, you have to reflash again.
Old 10th April 2009, 19:34   #693
Senior - BHPian

Before upgrading the software on any phone, its recommended one calls up the support centre and confirms the latest supported software. I was checking through the BB site BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites and found the service provider links do not show similar information about the downloads. Eg. Vodafone (hutchison essar) shows only v4.3 as the latest, Airtel (bharati) and Reliance show v4.7, whereas Tata Indicom shows NIL. I dont know what it exactly means. Experts could throw some light on this.

My desktop software is v4.5 and handset is upgraded to v4.5.0.37 too. My handset came with v4.1 and I had tried upgrading to v4.3 while being with Airtel at that time. It gave me too many troubles specially the 'ROXIO Media Manager' which never worked. It only showed "updating software" by too many popped up windows which would shut down only by 'END TASK' button (that situation continued for 3 months). Oh, those were the days I hated this decision to upgrade. I searched too many international forums, and found many had the similar issue without a resolution. Atlast I did a straight jump to v4.5 and the issues never came up again.

Upgrading process is always Desktop first, then the handset. Usually no issues.

Last edited by shajufx : 10th April 2009 at 19:36.
Old 10th April 2009, 23:52   #694
Team-BHP Support

I think the DM is more accurate than the websites while announcing the upgrade, service provider site showed ver 4.3 but when the device was plugged in 4.5 was detected and loaded without much fuss.

On the other hand, i have so far flashed 4 BB and these devices throw more tantrums compared to the Win Mob and iPhones of the world.
Old 11th April 2009, 00:52   #695
Senior - BHPian

I would love to comment here, but sadly because I am on a  I have never been able to upgrade or use desktop manager.
Old 11th April 2009, 13:18   #696
Team-BHP Support

What BB doesn't support apple? Have you checked BB site?
Old 11th April 2009, 15:45   #697
BHPian

Thankfully not bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont think you have bricked it yet, can you let us know the steps you took while upgrading? Also did you remove the sim and memory card while doing this? Always better to do this.

Usual step:
-Connect to DM
-Click update
-DM will download
-Install starts
-Goes for restart while DM waits
-Reloads all the stuff

Ensure you dont disturb the device and connection during this process.

Which step the error came up?

Worse case scenario, you have to reflash again.
While I was chatting with shaju, I came to know of one major blunder that I did. One more from this reply of yours.

One is my DM was 4.2 while I was trying to upgrade to Device 4.5, I should've first upgraded my DM to 4.5 or 4.7 and then tried to upgrade my device to 4.5. The other one is I did not pull out my world SIM and memory card. I shall ensure these two and then I shall try it out again. Downloading the DM from blackberry.com website is too slow. So I am trying to download it from a torrent.
Old 11th April 2009, 16:46   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What BB doesn't support apple? Have you checked BB site?
BB Desktop manager doesnt exist on Mac OS. We just have some stupid program called BB Media Manager to sync music! Have to use Pocket Mac to sync contacts.
Old 12th April 2009, 12:15   #699
BHPian

Loader.exe did nothing

After upgrading my Desktop Software and removing the Sim Card and memory card and deleting vendor.xml file, It shows a list of apps already on my phone and allows me to remove or add any. I just keep clicking next and it just comes to Finish while it did nothing. Where could I be going wrong?
Old 12th April 2009, 17:10   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

I am on V4.6.0.167 OS platform. Last night, i downloaded the V4.6.0.247 and i wanted to check with you all if its ok to install this upgraded OS on my BOLD?

I read somewhere the V5.0 is out for BOLD. Should i wait for this or go ahead and upgrade the .247?
Old 12th April 2009, 17:39   #701
Senior - BHPian

I have a BB8310 running V4.2.2.181 (Platform2.5.0.3.5). Is it possible for me to upgrade my OS. Also offlate I'm facing problem of all phone numbers and sms getting automatically deleted because of shortage of space. Is their anyway I can actually get applications to get installed from my memory card. I have got a 2GB one.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 12th April 2009 at 17:41.
Old 12th April 2009, 17:54   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am on V4.6.0.167 OS platform. Last night, i downloaded the V4.6.0.247 and i wanted to check with you all if its ok to install this upgraded OS on my BOLD?

I read somewhere the V5.0 is out for BOLD. Should i wait for this or go ahead and upgrade the .247?
Its out, you dont have to wait for it. Go for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have a BB8310 running V4.2.2.181 (Platform2.5.0.3.5). Is it possible for me to upgrade my OS. Also offlate I'm facing problem of all phone numbers and sms getting automatically deleted because of shortage of space. Is their anyway I can actually get applications to get installed from my memory card. I have got a 2GB one.
Free up space on the Phone Memory and not the MMC Card. BB's store everything on the Phone Memory.
Old 13th April 2009, 04:31   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Running 247 for some time now. Pretty stable and fast. The browser has improved significantly.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:36   #704
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, have you solved your issues ? Curious to know where you stand ! Hope all the problems are settled and you are into v4.5 already. Please post what was wrong early, atleast it would help many people who face similar issues.
Old 13th April 2009, 14:45   #705
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to get a Blackberry Bold if the user will not take the Blackberry service from the operator?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks