Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2010, 16:42   #2971
BHPian

@akki_5 sweet congrats.

@arjunrudra open browser>bbkey>options>general options>default browser. Sorry I missed the inbetween step.

@harry10: no it doesn't you need to buy a pdf viewer. Like beam reader. You also get it free with the purchase of documents to go 2 premium edition. Not with free.
Old 5th December 2010, 07:59   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post

@arjunrudra open browser>bbkey>options>general options>default browser. Sorry I missed the inbetween step.
Sorry but I think what you are saying is for the old os . In the OS 6 if i follow your steps i.e
Go to browser->then pres bb key ->options-> it automatically opens to general options and there is no method by which we can change the browsing settings as you mentioned earlier.

And under Genral options the options are
1) Startup page - under which the options are startup page and home page

2) Home page and an empty space for you to fill in the url of the homepage of your choice

3)Default Search - under which the options are google,yahoo,live search,wikipedia and dictionary

4) enable shortcut keys.
Can you please further help please.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 5th December 2010 at 08:02.
Old 5th December 2010, 12:26   #2973
BHPian

@arjunrudra please give me a days time tomorrow is my off. I will find my way around the os6 and give you the changeover method. Yes you are right that is the config order for the older OS'
Old 5th December 2010, 13:31   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Just installed OS6 on my 9700! Boy, this thing is AWESOME! Lovin' it
Akki do keep us posted on how the 9700 is holding up to the os6. I have my doubt if the 256mb ram is enough for the new os as if it were the 9780 wouldn't be launched.
Old 6th December 2010, 02:14   #2975
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Akki do keep us posted on how the 9700 is holding up to the os6. I have my doubt if the 256mb ram is enough for the new os as if it were the 9780 wouldn't be launched.
hey Sahil, after installing this OS, my app memory was down to 91 mb. However, this figure jumps a lot and i get anything between 60-80 mb free at any time. I have about 5-6 third party apps and all the basic core apps. I have removed all the language files and input methods except English. The OS is definitely heavy for this fone but there is no noticeable lag or hold ups. The only two problems i have faced are:

1) I did a clean install of this OS instead of an update. My BBM got updated and now i cant see any contact pictures (after re-adding the contacts; the chat works perfectly) (as per crackberry, this is a problem with latest build of BBM and not an OS issue! WTH!)

2) I dont get the cursor while scrolling chats or text messages which makes it difficult to select text for copying (as per the www, this is a problem with the unofficial build of OS 6.0.0.358 and will be fixed in upcoming builds)

Apart from this, the OS is awesome! It works flawlessly and is so much better than OS 5.

Cheers!

Last edited by Akki_5 : 6th December 2010 at 02:16.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:00   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@arjunrudra please give me a days time tomorrow is my off. I will find my way around the os6 and give you the changeover method. Yes you are right that is the config order for the older OS'
Oh thank you so much , that will be of great help .
And that mms i had sent was apparently a business card which i had sent of one of my contacts to my friend.
Never knew Sending the contacts Via TEXT MESSAGE option was being viewed as an MMS.
Old 6th December 2010, 11:51   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
As already mentioned by Akki_5, its excellent.
The main advantages you get are "Universal Search" which is a boon & the webkit browser. OS6 (for the 9700) does still have a few bugs (nothing that affects functionality) since its a leaked version but these should be fixed once the official one is out.

Else, upgrade to the leaked version & take it for a spin. Its excellent & yes, no lag
Old 6th December 2010, 12:20   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
As already mentioned by Akki_5, its excellent.
The main advantages you get are "Universal Search" which is a boon & the webkit browser. OS6 (for the 9700) does still have a few bugs (nothing that affects functionality) since its a leaked version but these should be fixed once the official one is out.

Else, upgrade to the leaked version & take it for a spin. Its excellent & yes, no lag
I found OS6 to be actually faster than OS5 on 9700.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:34   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
I found OS6 to be actually faster than OS5 on 9700.
+1.

Oh yes, most definitely, and the battery life is much better too. Sometimes there is a memory leak here and there (mostly caused by 3rd party apps), but not too major, and easily fixed by closing the offending application.

Love the kinetic scrolling and other touch friendly improvements to the OS. All in all, loving the BB 6 on 9700.
Old 7th December 2010, 05:22   #2980
NFS
BHPian

Sorry for the long post, but I would appreciate your help in identifying a good BB product, based on your experience using it.

I am on a look out for buying a BB. Can the beloved BB users suggest the best to suit my requirements, please?

A Must:
  • Email access (both personal and official) MS Exchange & Notes Support
  • Edit/Forward/Reply/Attach in Email - Makes more sense while using emails
  • Internet Browsing (I use Google for some or the other reason)
  • Wifi - At home and at HotSpots - economical alternative to be on Internet
  • Bluetooth - Pairing with Laptop/Car audio, send/receive images & music from friends
  • Qwerty Keys - I am good at this, but the other keyboard is a pain to type emails
  • Connect with Laptop - Use the mobile as Modem while on the move
  • Software Wallet/Similar - Nokia 6600 and many other phones has this feature - one can store sensitive info(like passwords, CC numbers etc) in Phone memory and protect it with one password
  • Extensible with Apps - Newer apps are available on many websites - would be interested to add more
  • Decent memory & add on - Not too big required, but should not show Memory Full with business like usage - I clear all read emails/messages (unless important) and carry less music and pics on my cellphones. I guess 2GB should be more than sufficient
  • Basic Camera with video - I am not a fan of 10MP camera on my cellphone - Yet a basic functional required
  • Loudspeaker - A basic necessity
  • Contacts, Logs & Message capacity: Unlimited like on Symbian OS phones. Logs are by days/months not by last xx number of calls.
  • Decent battery backup - Mobile phones should be charge once in 3days, NOT once in 3hours
  • No Sliding/Folding

Being a loyal customer of Nokia for the last 6 years (using 6600 old & E61i), that too both running on Symbian OS, the above mentioned requirements are an absolute must.

Optional list
  • Touch Screen/Stylus - Guess now we should move to touch screens, rather than tracker ball
  • FM Radio would be good to have - Never used one till now
  • Music player would be good to have - Stereo headset
  • Facebook/Twitter apps - Installable apps or inbuilt support
  • Chat IM - heard lot about BB chats & social - eager to participate
  • PDF image support - my Nokia e61i would not show images in PDF files
  • Save Attachments - Nokia e61i does not allow to download an attachment from email
  • Data cable - for data transfers and charging the battery (SE P1i had this)

I am eager to suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Old 7th December 2010, 08:11   #2981
BHPian

@NFS you're talking about all standard features of a blackberry. There are no specifics far as I can see. Except you seem to want a touchscreen but don't want a slider. That ruled out the Torch(it was the only touchscreen one). The other touchscreen the storm's are all but too old now for anyone to go out and buy a brand new one I suggest you don't bother with them.

That leaves the 8520 curve/ 9300 curve/ 9700 bold. Now the prices are something like 11k / 17.5k / 24k. While the 8520 sounds awesome at the price I would ask you to buy the younger curve the 9300. It strikes a balance between performance features and battery life. Also you will get 3G with it. The bold is much better on battery and features but I wouldn't advise a beginner to start with it.

To address each point. Email is a feature of BB services so go out and get the 899 or 1099 plan and you will get one business account plus 9 personal email addresses. If you have a BlackBerry backbone server in your company you may or may not get personal email dependent on your company's IT policies. The same goes for chat and social networking.

If however you are in a company where you don't have the BB backbone you can even go for the base plan with internet services in which case you can have IM plus email and everything.
With fb and twitter its like a mini profile in your address book. Once linked to both you can fb/tweet/IM and email/sms/call your friend/s from the address book alone. You have the option of EGDE/wifi access from the main menu for browsing.

It can store emails infinitely. But then I only store for 15 days and then remote search my emails. It does everything needed with email. There's documents to go and 2 other full blown office utilities. You have the blackberry and crackberry app store at your fingertips and if you got the green the app world is your playground. I'd suggest you find one and toy with it for a while say at a croma or something and then see which one you like.

Two downsides however. Must be honest you see. This is a data and security intensive phone and once ON you don't really turn it off. So it needs a charge once a day. Normally at night. At that point you can use the brilliant bedside mode. Also there's NO FM *forget it*. Those internal DACS are brilliant and with the new 9300 you also have the choice of FLAC playback and upto 32G memory. You can also watch movies on it. Yes the screen 'looks' tiny but believe me I've almost corrupted my memory card in 8 months with the number of movies I've watched and deleted. With my inears it sounds amazing too. Brilliant stereo seperation. Though a little low in the bass department. Video clarity is very good. It does bluetooth seamlessly and it will continue to plod away with file transfers even if you go on a call. But I've never managed to get it to pair properly.

Best of luck! Welcome to BB!

@arjunrudra sir I haven't been able to get my hands on an OS6 phone. My friend with the custom OS6 on his 8520 sold it just two days ago and my boss doesn't believe in a day off for me. Ill check with the croma near my workplace and come back here. Apologies for the delay.

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 7th December 2010 at 08:15.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:53   #2982
BHPian

I have BB6 on 9700. If I select one file/photo/song in the media folder and press the menu button, I get option to Send -> Bluetooth. But when I select multiple files, the Bluetooth option is not there.

How do you transfer multiple files/photos/songs over Bluetooth to another phone?
Old 7th December 2010, 11:11   #2983
BHPian

Slightly OT here, my cousin lost his BB9700 yesterday and has got the sim blocked by calling up the service provider. But that doesn't stop the person who's gotten hold of the mobile handset to use it (they could just insert another sim and voila!). I understand the mobile equipment/handset could be blacklisted if we had the IMEI number. We don't :(

Is there any way to get the IMEI number of a mobile handset (Wondering if the Service Provider would have it in their database, by any chance ?)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 7th December 2010, 11:52   #2984
BHPian

@steveaustin the imei and the PIN is registered on the box of the handset and in any BBDesktopManager you have used.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:58   #2985
Senior - BHPian

@ Steve - Apart from box, imei no will also be mentioned over your invoice.

Most Viewed